Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying during distraction  (Read 1090 times)

Stryde2021

Flying during distraction
« on: October 16, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »

Does anyone have experience with this while using Stryde?  Is it possible?  (Say, 1 month into distraction?). Very painful?  Any thoughts would be great. 

AlphaX

Re: Flying during distraction
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:54:21 PM »

Yes you can do it without problem.
Just try to wait some days after you leave the Hospital to heal more, but it’s okay !
A lot of people go back to them country right after they leave the hospital.
24 years | LON on Femur done.

Starting height : 174.5cm |  Final: 182-183cm |  Dr. Yuksel Wannabetaller team

RB

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:31:59 AM »

I’m planning to fly from Athens to London around 1 month post op so hopefully it’s ok. I’ve heard of people leaving a lot earlier after surgery so I’m sure we will be fine.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Michael J. Assayag, MD

• Limb Lengthening Orthopedic Surgeon from ICLL
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »

Make sure you take blood thinners before the flights. Get up often
Dr. Michael J Assayag MD FRCSC
Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgeon
http://www.heightrx.com https://www.limblength.org/conditions/short-stature
massayag@lifebridgehealth.org
IG @bonelengthening

foreign

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 05:19:04 PM »

Make sure you take blood thinners before the flights. Get up often

what happens if u don't do this? I spoke with a very well known Indian LL doctor and he said they usually don't provide blood thinners. but I didn't mention about flight to him. he just said generally they don't provide blood thinners.

what might be the complication if you get embolism? death? if not death can you be left brain damaged?

Michael J. Assayag, MD

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 11:28:19 PM »

The risk of pulmonary embolism is real.

if massive or left unchecked it can lead to difficulty breathing, heart failure and death
IG @bonelengthening

GenralizedAnxietyDisorder

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 06:20:00 AM »

if massive or left unchecked it can lead to difficulty breathing, heart failure and death

Is this true even after 4 weeks of surgery? Doesn't pulmonary embolism relate to the surgery itself and not the lengthening?

foreign

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »

what about brain damage?? Is that possibility?

AlphaX

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 09:46:30 AM »

The treatment that i had for blood thinner was for 3 weeks after surgery.
It’s only 1 capsule each day, the name was « Coraspin ».

But the most important if you fly is to take painkiller, it will helps you.
24 years | LON on Femur done.

Starting height : 174.5cm |  Final: 182-183cm |  Dr. Yuksel Wannabetaller team

deletedaccount

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »

So best to avoid it right?

Michael J. Assayag, MD

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »

what about brain damage?? Is that possibility?

Any risk on cardiac arrest brings the risk of brain damage, if revived . Per se, the PE does not create brain damage unless you have a certain type of heart defect, but we are going too far. take home message is: if you fly, take a blood thinner for the flight.
IG @bonelengthening

Ascending

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 04:32:53 PM »

I took a 2 hour flight every 2 weeks and for a period every week without any problems.  The first flight was straight after being discharged from hospital - 6 days after surgery.  Just ask for the mobility service which will ensure you get a wheelchair to help board and unboard the flight and whizz through security.  Most of my flights included a return flight the same day - I flew for checks with the surgeon.  Taking the ERC with you is a real pain and sometimes refused which is one of the reasons why I did day returns.  For the first few flights I took anticoagulant injections before flights.

GenralizedAnxietyDisorder

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 07:32:12 PM »

I took a 2 hour flight every 2 weeks and for a period every week without any problems.  The first flight was straight after being discharged from hospital - 6 days after surgery.  Just ask for the mobility service which will ensure you get a wheelchair to help board and unboard the flight and whizz through security.  Most of my flights included a return flight the same day - I flew for checks with the surgeon.  Taking the ERC with you is a real pain and sometimes refused which is one of the reasons why I did day returns.  For the first few flights I took anticoagulant injections before flights.

Till when were you advised to take the injections? Were you on oral blood thinners otherwise?

Was the ERC refused due to security reasons?

Ascending

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »

Till when were you advised to take the injections? Were you on oral blood thinners otherwise?

Was the ERC refused due to security reasons?
I was advised to take the injections every day for the first 3 weeks.  After that I only took it if I was flying.

The ERC is tricky to get on the plane for safety reasons.  You need a letter from your doctor as well as the safety certificate from Nuvasive and the airline may choose to contact Nuvasive if they feel the device poses any risk.  I was refused on one flight because the Captain could not be certain that the device was dangerous for that particular aircraft which was a smaller jet with a smaller cargo.  In fact the the device was taken off after I had boarded and I had to continue my flight without it - it was stored by the airline at the airport for me to collect upon my return.  In any case the device is heavy so you really don't want to be traveling with it having two broken legs.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 01:00:30 AM »

I was advised to take the injections every day for the first 3 weeks.  After that I only took it if I was flying.

The ERC is tricky to get on the plane for safety reasons.  You need a letter from your doctor as well as the safety certificate from Nuvasive and the airline may choose to contact Nuvasive if they feel the device poses any risk.  I was refused on one flight because the Captain could not be certain that the device was dangerous for that particular aircraft which was a smaller jet with a smaller cargo.  In fact the the device was taken off after I had boarded and I had to continue my flight without it - it was stored by the airline at the airport for me to collect upon my return.  In any case the device is heavy so you really don't want to be traveling with it having two broken legs.

That's good to know. I assumed that checking the ERC would be a breeze, but I guess maybe not. Did you do the wheelchair service even after being able to walk with a walker or cane? I guess I could see how it would be way easier than struggling to walk across the airport. Also, did you buy first class or at least economy plus seats for the extra legroom? I can't imagine trying to stretch your legs in economy.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Ascending

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »

That's good to know. I assumed that checking the ERC would be a breeze, but I guess maybe not. Did you do the wheelchair service even after being able to walk with a walker or cane? I guess I could see how it would be way easier than struggling to walk across the airport. Also, did you buy first class or at least economy plus seats for the extra legroom? I can't imagine trying to stretch your legs in economy.
Yes I used the wheelchair service until I was crutches free.  I didn't use a walking stick.  It was way to convenient to be whizzed through the process of getting on board - better than the service you get for 1st class.  But I went economy every time except once when I went business class.  It made no difference because the flights were so short length.  Walking around the airport to get to the mobility service was sometimes tough - not because of the effort of moving broken legs but the expression of pity on people's faces when they look at you.  For some reason it really made me very sad.  Interestingly I found women to be really helpful when you are trying to get through hard to open doors etc - other men don't help much at all.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 05:19:18 PM »

Yes I used the wheelchair service until I was crutches free.  I didn't use a walking stick.  It was way to convenient to be whizzed through the process of getting on board - better than the service you get for 1st class.  But I went economy every time except once when I went business class.  It made no difference because the flights were so short length.  Walking around the airport to get to the mobility service was sometimes tough - not because of the effort of moving broken legs but the expression of pity on people's faces when they look at you.  For some reason it really made me very sad.  Interestingly I found women to be really helpful when you are trying to get through hard to open doors etc - other men don't help much at all.

All very interesting. My flights will be 3.5 hours long, so I'll probably do Economy Plus. While I'm not very tall, I still think it would be much easier to stretch and/or stand up if I'm not cramped in an Economy seat. On the other hand, depending on the flight, if I sit in the back I might get a whole row to myself and I can just raise the arm lifts and sit sideways with my legs straight when I need to stretch.

What do you think about crutches vs cane? I already bought a cane but I'm not sure when I'm going to use it. Did you walk around in the airport with a walker at all? Looks like I'm going to have to do some research on mobility services at the airport ahead of time. Thanks for all your help!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on
Pages: [1]   Go Up