Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Documentary Film: Short and Male (2008)  (Read 243 times)

Stryder2021

Documentary Film: Short and Male (2008)
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:03:06 AM »

Did anyone watch this 54 minute documentary film, which came out in 2008: Short and Male
It shows how short adult men, typically under 5'6", in the US and abroad, including China, endure and attempt to fight heightism.

https://vimeo.com/6780321

Stryder2021

Re: Documentary Film: Short and Male (2008)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »

Adding my comment to move this topic up in the page. It's an older movie, released in 2008 and the footage taken in a time span of a few years before the release date, but the reality of heightism still remains in effect in 2020 and beyond.

Movie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »

interesting documentary, I wonder how the middle eastern guy who did CLL is doing now.
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Stryder2021

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 07:33:57 PM »

The guy who did CLL is Akash Shukla. He's Indian and 'grew' from 4'11.5" to 5'2" with the dreaded Ilizarov external fixator, because that's all they had in 2005. I remembered reading an article a few years ago (I think it was 2017) on him, that he married a 5'0" Indian woman. There was a video of them in their wedding reception dancing. I cannot find that article or video anymore, but Akash is now married, in his mid-30s, and works as an engineer.

germanlim

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »

We all can be happy that there is the stryde nail when we See this video

Hatch

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:43 PM »

The guy who did CLL is Akash Shukla. He's Indian and 'grew' from 4'11.5" to 5'2" with the dreaded Ilizarov external fixator, because that's all they had in 2005. I remembered reading an article a few years ago (I think it was 2017) on him, that he married a 5'0" Indian woman. There was a video of them in their wedding reception dancing. I cannot find that article or video anymore, but Akash is now married, in his mid-30s, and works as an engineer.

He seem to be in bad pain most of the time. Cant he take pain killers or why is that? And please say that pain with stryde is nothing like that.

germanlim

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »

No stryde is not such a horrible pain

Stryder2021

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 09:52:59 PM »

Much of the pain from external fixators (EF) comes from the pins attached from the EF to the bone. Infections are a big problem, and as the patient lengthens, the pins tear through your skin and muscles. That’s why it’s painful.

Internal rods do not have these problems, so many internal rod patients report the pain as low to medium, and manageable.

Harmonica

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »

First time I saw it years ago. You must be new to this height thing.

I'm still not sure if this film is more of a documentary or comedy.

But I like the Tom Rubin character in particular.
Instead of talking, he plays. And when he better play, he talks.

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 08:47:41 AM »

Much of the pain from external fixators (EF) comes from the pins attached from the EF to the bone. Infections are a big problem, and as the patient lengthens, the pins tear through your skin and muscles. That’s why it’s painful.

Internal rods do not have these problems, so many internal rod patients report the pain as low to medium, and manageable.
I did LL with monorails which have pins way bigger than Ilizarovs.
Still my LL was almost completely pain free. I haven't even taken any painkiller except from the first 4-5 days after surgery.

Internals are way more painful than externals on tibias. On femurs externals is a joke.
Pages: [1]   Go Up