Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which doctor can I focus on to obtain 9-11cm on internal femur  (Read 427 times)

Upperlimit

• Visitor
Which doctor can I focus on to obtain 9-11cm on internal femur
« on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:48 AM »

I did tibia external about 10yrs ago. . It was around 8.5cm on X-ray, but measurement wise I think I got between 7-8cm. I have forgotten about it for years, but I had always planned on doing internal femurs too. My Options are dr.Mahboubian, dr.betz, dr.Parihar, dr,giotikas. I am fine getting upto 8cm, but to keep up with my ratio with tibia, which doctor would allow me to push it beyond 8cm and closer to 10cm? Is it only dr. Bets? I understand some people have raised concerns about him. I am currently around 166. Goal would be to try to get to 176 and never think about this again and try to keep good leg function. Of course I have to listen to my body and stop earlier if I can no longer tolerate it, but I want to get the max I can get.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:25:47 AM by Upperlimit »

RB

Re: Which doctor can I focus on to obtain 9-11cm on internal femur
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:35:35 AM »

For internal femur, the amount of length you are able to achieve will depend on the nail used. Dr Mahboubian, Giotikas and Parihar all use either precise or stryde which can only go a maximum of 8cm (which is also the recommended safe limit). I know that the Betzbone goes up to 10cm and have heard of patients doing 10cm + in the femur with Betz however I don't believe it is safe to go beyond 8cm when Paley, Rozbruch and the doctors listed above all agree that 8cm shouldn't be exceeded.

How has your functional recovery been since you did tibias 10 years ago? 8.5cm is a lot for tibia so I'm curious to see how your function is now.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Upperlimit

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:18:14 AM »

I had it done with dr. Sarin. I was with sweden at the time. After removal it took a few months for my ballerina foot to go down, but after that I started to forget ll. I don’t think my gait was fully fixed until after 6-12months after, but not something I thought about. All other parts of my life got super busy. I did however have a mental block for physical activity  so I never exerted myself too much thinking I would hurt myself. Day to day, I had no functional problems. I can ski, play volleyball, basketball, go to the gym, but again I never push myself like I did back as a teenager. As an adult now, I stay fit by going to the gym, but I do not do many active things. I do still have the original tibia rods so I need to consult a doc to see if I should remove it first before proceeding with internal femurs. I am in the process of planning things now such as flexibility training. I think I do have slightly less range of motion in my ankle than before and I don’t sit down with my legs crossed. Maybe training in flexibility might help

Highest

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »

What is your current tibia and femur length? You could get away with 8cm depending.
Pages: [1]   Go Up