Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Assayag in MD  (Read 23606 times)

RazalDazal

Femurs with Dr. Assayag in MD
« on: October 22, 2020, 03:09:31 AM »

Hi everyone,

For past 10 years I have only observed these forums and read about leg lengthening. Main reason was money and career. I was working on both and hence the surgery was out of my affordability range. Anyway, now I am ready and have taken the first step of contacting Dr. Assayag. We did our tele-health meeting and he answered all of my concerns/questions. Now to the next step of looking at the potential dates for surgery. We believe it will be in December.

A little bit about me:

- I am 5.4" and will be doing Femur lengthening
- I believe I am probably the oldest guy on this forum to do the LL? (I am in my late 30s)
- I have told my wife, co-workers etc.
- I will be staying in Maryland for the first three weeks

Fingers crossed. Lets see :)       

Stryde2021

Re: Femurs with Dr. Assayag in MD
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 03:29:55 AM »

Check PM!

Bane

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 04:17:02 AM »

Nice to read about a diary of a US doctor other than Paley, Mahboubian, or Debiparshad.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 04:23:19 AM »

Hi everyone,

For past 10 years I have only observed these forums and read about leg lengthening. Main reason was money and career. I was working on both and hence the surgery was out of my affordability range. Anyway, now I am ready and have taken the first step of contacting Dr. Assayag. We did our tele-health meeting and he answered all of my concerns/questions. Now to the next step of looking at the potential dates for surgery. We believe it will be in December.

A little bit about me:

- I believe I am probably the oldest guy on this forum to do the LL? (I am in my late 30s)

1. What was the total price?

2. What are your thoughts on doing this option and living with a family member in northern Virginia during the process? Too far from Baltimore?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 04:26:40 AM »

Hi everyone,

A little bit about me:

Did he have lengthening limits? Ex: only willing to do 5cm or 6cm?

RazalDazal

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »

Hi SpeedDialer,

Dr. Assayag is preparing a quote for me (so I don’t know the final price yet). Btw I myself am in a healthcare industry :)

COST

Couple of points on the cost:

-   On average the cost of Femur lengthening in the US is between $80k- $110k
-   The high cost medical system in the US is designed for insurance companies and not for the out-of-pocket/cash payors.
-   The high cost of LL is not always because of the surgeon but also depends on the hospital where the surgery is being performed. Hospital prices are inflated based on the rates at which insurance companies will reimburse the hospital on a patient's behalf. That's why a single aspirin can cost $30 per pill in the E.R., which is more than six times the price for a bottle of them at the drug store.
-   The Stryde Nail itself is extremely expensive which inflates the cost of surgery in US
-   You can lower you final cost by staying less at the hospital. For example: Dr. Assayag's price may quote you for a 3 day hospital stay. But if you leave the facility after 2 days, you can save money on that extra 1 day (make sense?)

My purpose of highlighting the crazy hospital cost system in the US was to point out that surgeons like Assayag, Janet or Paley are not making bank from each surgery. Of course, they are still getting paid handsomely :) but what they get paid vs. what we pay for the procedure are two different things.

Also FYI - The interest rates in US are the lowest that I have seen. This is a good time to research if you can get home equity loan, Home Equity line of credit or a Personal Loan to fund your surgery. I don't like the so called medical financing companies like care credit because their intertest rates are crazy high. Meanwhile the banks may give you loans for a very low apr.  (you guys may disagree but I am just posting my thoughts)

LIVING

I think for the first couple of weeks at least you would want to be close to Baltimore. You can stay on the campus of Sinai Hospital at the Hackerman-Patz House for $15/day.
I have family and pets that will be staying with me which is why I will simply rent an AirBNB for first 3 weeks. After three weeks, I will visit Dr. Assayag every 2 weeks. I live close to Pittsburg, so I have a 5 hour drive each way. One thing I am really uncomfortable doing while lengthening is flying. 

LIMITS

He does not have a pre-defined limit nor can he guarantee how much length I will be able to gain. It all depends on complications and nerve pain issues that could arise once you go beyond 5cm. From what I know 5cm is almost always achievable… its “after” 5cm that lots of patients suffer from numbness, pain or other issues…

For myself, to get maximum gain I am doing stretches right now. We'll see

Hagane

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »

Hi everyone,

A little bit about me:

when are you looking to do the procedure?
i have been in talks with dr A and once i finish my exam next week, i am lookign to get my procedure done in nov! maybe ill see you there :)

i belive SNC is probably older than you by a good 10 years and he just finished his distraction!
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

RazalDazal

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »

Awesome! I will send you my date as soon as mine is scheduled

BelowTheMean

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »

Looks like the three of us are going to be lengthening around the same time!
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

RazalDazal

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »

las vegas baby

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »

good stuff. youll do great brother. the fact that the best of best surgeons do cosmetic leg length surgery is reassuring. your in great hands

las vegas baby

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 08:13:44 AM »

you said your in the medical field. what line of work can I ask?

deaddog

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »

Hi Razle, best wishes on your surgery with Dr. Assayag! Thank you for your great diary and for sharing your experience(s) with us on this great forum as well... Please keep us updated on your progress when you are able and again, best wishes to you! ;)

RazalDazal

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »

Hi Friend, I work in Artificial Intelligence field at a hospital system (health system)

RazalDazal

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »

184dream

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »

please share you physical therapy regimn  day by day

RazalDazal

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 03:47:42 AM »

Highest

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »

Did you discuss with Dr Assayag the pain management plan and what drugs you'll be taking? There is a huge variance in terms of pain patients have under different doctors for example Dr Debiparshad appears to have the pain management under control but Paley patients still complain about it even though Paley is the best doctor.

Movie

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 07:14:13 AM »

nice man! you seem to have everything ready for a sucessful journey, got the walker, crutches, accessible shower, and STAIRS with a rail! those are going to be giving you gains during distraction and help you recover quick! best of luck man hoping to maybe have removal with Dr. Assayag and hop on a zoom meeting when his secretary replies to my emails lol. you got this
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

Jokerhastowait2022

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »

Good Luck RD! Wish you a smooth surgery!

SpeedDialer

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 05:37:34 PM »

I mean this question with all respect because I could see myself in this situation if I do tibias relatively late in my life. What are your thoughts on getting LL so late even though many of your dating years are over?

RazalDazal

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 12:26:32 AM »

Yep. Pain was one of the first questions I asked Assayag.  I am a big wuss and when it comes to pain. I'm not worried about narcotics such as oxycodone or other drugs because getting addicted is not one of my concerns because of the nature of my job I get drug tested regularly so that would not happen. However getting ample supply of pain medicine was one of my top requirements and I spoke to Assayag and he was okay with it

RazalDazal

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2020, 12:33:22 AM »

Yes I would recommend it. I am personally doing it for my mind and not for sex or job etc. I have a beautiful wife that I still think was out of my league.. we are happily married with very active life and I love my job. So no issues there.

HOWEVER, Having said that, the LL surgery was ALWAYS in the back of my mind. I have achieved everything I set as a goal in life and due to COVID, the time felt right to do it.

I recommend that if this makes u happy for even 40 more years, I think it's worth it.

Sorry for saying 40 lol, I wish u a long prosperous life my friend

I mean this question with all respect because I could see myself in this situation if I do tibias relatively late in my life. What are your thoughts on getting LL so late even though many of your dating years are over?

RazalDazal

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 02:13:12 AM »

BelowTheMean

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 03:17:12 AM »

Just watched your video - I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you. Ice pads over the surgical incision sites helped me a ton during the first few days in and out of the hospital, so I'd recommend using those when you can.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Movie

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 03:43:02 AM »

Pretty awesome video diary Razal! exciting, looks good, you're moving great for 1st day post op rooting for you!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

las vegas baby

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2020, 07:00:03 AM »

bro its like I'm there with you. very nice documentation

one ques I Have: does assayag offer EOS scans or normal xray scans?

NEET

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2020, 01:17:18 PM »

Best of luck brother.

RazalDazal

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2020, 04:52:06 PM »

Thank you BelowTheMean! excellent advice :) I am using ice round the clock

Just watched your video - I'm about 3 weeks ahead of you. Ice pads over the surgical incision sites helped me a ton during the first few days in and out of the hospital, so I'd recommend using those when you can.

RazalDazal

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »

Thank you Movie! <3

Pretty awesome video diary Razal! exciting, looks good, you're moving great for 1st day post op rooting for you!

RazalDazal

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »

Hi Las Vegas baby, With Dr. Assayag I have only gotten regular xrays so far

bro its like I'm there with you. very nice documentation

one ques I Have: does assayag offer EOS scans or normal xray scans?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up