Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs with Dr. Assayag in MD  (Read 23610 times)

RazalDazal

Re: Femurs with Dr. Assayag in MD
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2021, 05:35:13 AM »

Definitely my friend. I will report back with progress report

Looking good RD! Will be interesting to get your perspective on things after you slow the distraction pace. Stay strong 💪...you’re like about 1/3 towards your new height!

RazalDazal

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2021, 05:36:01 AM »

PT after visiting Assayag

6CMFemurs

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2021, 06:03:28 AM »

@Razal: I remember when I slowed down from 1 MM to 0.75, literally all my pain went away, and I had a painless rest of the lengthening process. You will feel much better.

RazalDazal

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2021, 12:27:47 AM »

I agree with you 6CMFemurs. I am liking slowing down as well

@Razal: I remember when I slowed down from 1 MM to 0.75, literally all my pain went away, and I had a painless rest of the lengthening process. You will feel much better.

RazalDazal

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2021, 12:35:36 AM »

40 day check-in

BelowTheMean

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2021, 01:48:09 AM »

Hey RD, I know it sometimes feels like things are getting worse as you lengthen, but it's also possible for things to get better as well. Overall, I feel so much better right now at 5cm than I did a few weeks ago at 4cm that the difference is like night and day. If anyone asked me right now if I was getting better, I can answer 100% confidently YES. Of course, I still have 3cm to go and a lot can happen, but I currently have an optimistic outlook. I hope things start feeling better for you soon! -BTM
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

RazalDazal

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2021, 02:47:42 AM »

Hey BTM, nice to hear from you  :)

I am definitely better than when I was doing 1mm daily. I hope to feel as better as you are. Especially at 5cm (man that will be so cool)

Was there something specific you did that helped you? Like did you stretched more or did some specific stretches?

Thank you for valuable feedback!! I am not in excruciating pain or anything but any increase in comfort is always welcome  ;D

Hey RD, I know it sometimes feels like things are getting worse as you lengthen, but it's also possible for things to get better as well. Overall, I feel so much better right now at 5cm than I did a few weeks ago at 4cm that the difference is like night and day. If anyone asked me right now if I was getting better, I can answer 100% confidently YES. Of course, I still have 3cm to go and a lot can happen, but I currently have an optimistic outlook. I hope things start feeling better for you soon! -BTM

Stryde2021

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2021, 03:39:52 AM »

According to your most recent journal entry it looks like you've lengthened 2.33mm over the past 8 days.   I guess that's one way to feel better, but i don't think it's a realistic option for most people (pre-consolidation/too much time/etc.). 

BelowTheMean

« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2021, 03:22:42 PM »

Hey BTM, nice to hear from you  :)

I am definitely better than when I was doing 1mm daily. I hope to feel as better as you are. Especially at 5cm (man that will be so cool)

Was there something specific you did that helped you? Like did you stretched more or did some specific stretches?

Thank you for valuable feedback!! I am not in excruciating pain or anything but any increase in comfort is always welcome  ;D

Hey RD, my major issue was nerve pain to the point where it was constantly affecting me. Slowing down/taking a break and taking meds for that greatly helped with it. I actually don't feel very tight right now in my muscles, so I've just been stretching a lot in general and lengthening pretty slowly. If tightness is your issue, then slowing down and stretching even more are probably the best solutions.

According to your most recent journal entry it looks like you've lengthened 2.33mm over the past 8 days.   I guess that's one way to feel better, but i don't think it's a realistic option for most people (pre-consolidation/too much time/etc.). 

Hi Stryde2021, it's true that I took a 3 day break and I'm currently lengthening at 0.52mm/day on average. My doctor says I actually have above average growth in my bone callus. It's only the people who have extreme growth that need to increase past 1mm/day or are unable to slow down and take breaks. Once the bone has been distracted far enough, most people can slow down as needed. In terms of time spent, I would strongly suggest that you set aside more time than the minimum for the distraction phase. If I only let myself lengthen for 3 months, I'm certain that I would only be able to get 6 to 6.5cm. Most people run into some kind of roadblock during lengthening which extends the amount of time spent.
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

azaghul

• Visitor
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2021, 10:45:24 PM »

Hey Razal,

Why did you choose Dr. Assayag? How’s the experience?

Also, he said you should always walk with support cause even though the nail is weight-bearing, when you walk there is more force? Did you try climbing up/down stairs?

RazalDazal

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2021, 05:25:35 AM »

Hi Azaghul,

I choose Dr. Assayag because I felt most comfortable when I spoke to him. He was personable and available. Moreover, the Sinai hospital has a dedicated department for bone issues. And finally Baltimore is a place I can visit by car. I really really dont want to fly during LL. I fly airplanes as a hobby so I not afraid to fly. Just during lengthening.

I am walking without cane now. Only for stairs I use a crutch. Dr. Assayag had told me to not walk without assistance in the first 3 weeks. I am ok now

Thanks,
RD

Hey Razal,

Why did you choose Dr. Assayag? How’s the experience?

Also, he said you should always walk with support cause even though the nail is weight-bearing, when you walk there is more force? Did you try climbing up/down stairs?

azaghul

• Visitor
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2021, 06:38:22 PM »

Hey, I thought that about Dr. Assayag too so if I do go through with this surgery, it would either be him or the Canadian doctor he highly recommends.

Going into the surgery or just planning to get it, were you nervous or having second thoughts? Idk why I’m feeling that a lot rn. I’m 24 and would have the surgery next year anyways if I do but I’m not sure.

Thanks for the answers RD, good luck lengthening.

overandover

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2021, 03:52:30 PM »

subscribe

RazalDazal

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2021, 08:05:01 PM »

First time going into office  :)

BelowTheMean

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:35 AM »

Hah, I totally get leaving that walker in the office. We have no idea how capable we are going to be after surgery. I stocked up on so many cans of vegetables and packs of frozen meat before surgery, but it wasn't necessary since I could have started shopping alone six weeks after surgery.

ggg112

• Visitor
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2021, 02:57:45 AM »

Continued luck with your process.  I appreciate your detailed logs/blogs, as I too am entertaining possibly going with Dr. Assayag, as a viable option, as location wise we are similar, (I live in Pittsburgh, and have relatives that will be soon moving to either Owings Mills or Towson).

It was interesting to see some of your therapy performed as I was surprised to see internal and external rotation of the hip performed, (learn something every day I guess), as a practicing PTA the patients that I've seen that have procedures that would be similar are hip ORIF, (Open Reduction Internal Fixation), patients.

Although I haven't practiced in an outpatient setting in years, and it's technically not a contraindication, (however I have seen certain ortho docs request these patients have total hip precautions, which in those cases External and Internal rotation, along with crossing midline of the body and hip flexion of 90 degrees and greater are contraindications), we usually  avoid those motions with patients due to pain as complaints of instability in that area.

Vibes

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2021, 01:25:30 AM »

Loving the detailed video diaries. They are a huge help for those of us who are still deciding into the day to day life during the process.

RazalDazal

« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2021, 03:09:53 AM »

Visiting Assayag 48 days after surgery. Bone formation is not looking very good so we will be slowing the lengthening down to 0.5mm per day

RazalDazal

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2021, 03:12:01 AM »

One of my viewers on youtube asked the question from Dr. Assayag about Nerve Damage. What are the symptoms, when to best detect it and how to triage it

permanentlybanned

« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2021, 03:40:46 AM »

Damn dude that is basically no callus almost non union not looking good

Accordion method will have to be done (distraction and then compression cycled daily)

Razaldazal you should stand more, like most of the day. You need that weightbearing not gonna grow bone sitting down

Good luck man I hope it improves and you stand more
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

pownzorgeek

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2021, 10:28:21 AM »

Hi RazalDazal, you have done great so far. That being said, I also see some of the problems you are having with pain, bone growth etc.

Would you say you are doing enough PT and stretching at home? Also were you flexible pre-op? Sorry if you have answered this already.

Dirona

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »

Pl be careful while walking dude...Prioritise safety and function over anything else at this point..Good luck !
Taking it easy

RazalDazal

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »

Thank you ghkid. It's quite a coincidence that you mentioned about moving and standing. About a couple of days ago I noticed that as well and started to deliberately move and walk extra everyday. my next appointment with Dr Assayag is in three four days so we will see how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

Damn dude that is basically no callus almost non union not looking good

Accordion method will have to be done (distraction and then compression cycled daily)

Razaldazal you should stand more, like most of the day. You need that weightbearing not gonna grow bone sitting down

Good luck man I hope it improves and you stand more

RazalDazal

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »

Hi PG,

I am doing PT daily but as Ghkid said about moving, I was staying mostly sedentary. I have started to walk more.

As for pre-op flexibility, I was not flexible at all

Hope this helps

Hi RazalDazal, you have done great so far. That being said, I also see some of the problems you are having with pain, bone growth etc.

Would you say you are doing enough PT and stretching at home? Also were you flexible pre-op? Sorry if you have answered this already.

RazalDazal

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »

Hi Realistic, thank you! Yep safety is. number one priority

Pl be careful while walking dude...Prioritise safety and function over anything else at this point..Good luck !

permanentlybanned

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »

Thank you ghkid. It's quite a coincidence that you mentioned about moving and standing. About a couple of days ago I noticed that as well and started to deliberately move and walk extra everyday. my next appointment with Dr Assayag is in three four days so we will see how it goes.

Fingers crossed!

🙏🏼🙏🏼 that extra walking/standing will 100% help, you will get through this if you stand and move more. Weightbearing more is 100% correlated to good callus growth backed by decades of orthopedic research and Paley rozbruch and every CLL doctor toutes this (way more important than any vitamin D 10000iu or calcium supplement). A person taking no vitamins whatsoever but weightbearing will have much faster growth than someone very sedentary and taking all the supplements in the world (in my opinion weightbearing is the only thing that matters to determine callus bone growth)

You don't even have to walk if not practical like as you are doing like an office job, walking is preferred but you can conjure a standing desk setup and just stand prolonged periods daily. Most important is just femur bone resisting gravity, pushing it down

Good on you for noticing it as well, you are on the path to recover strong 💪🏻

Cheers razal
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

las vegas baby

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2021, 02:33:58 PM »

(way more important than any vitamin D 10000iu or calcium supplement). A person taking no vitamins whatsoever but weightbearing will have much faster growth than someone very sedentary and taking all the supplements in the world (in my opinion weightbearing is the only thing that matters to determine callus bone growth)

broscientist ghkid2021 highest honors

las vegas baby

« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2021, 02:36:08 PM »

razal my man great going! assayag seems like he really cares. can you ask him about the nuvasive precice stryde mess please? we'd love to know what he things about all those risks like odd bone formation, material leakage and cancer / tumors.

Tartar

« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »

From what I've verified, if you don't put any pressure/weight on the bone and just laze on the bed, it will not create any new "fiber" (you'll not see NEW lines between the 2 parts of the bone), even if the already present bone tissue will get thicker and closer to the nail.
That's what happens when the bone is healed enough and there are not movements in the nail so it just tends to remodel.

So yes, even walk with crutches is very useful, walking aided at least a couple of hours every day is very important. Even if it looks so easy and trivial, it's more important than all the PT you can do on the floor or on the bed.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2021, 07:36:21 PM »

@Raz: I had this same problem too at 4 CM and was able to clear it up in 2 weeks. I don’t have time rn to write a super long post with everything Paley had me do,  but if you want to chat, just PM me.

RazalDazal

« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »

Thank you ALL OF YOU! I really appreciate this! Much Love <3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up