Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How tall starts to look tall from your perspective?  (Read 1451 times)

deletedaccount

How tall starts to look tall from your perspective?
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »

I'm 169cm and I'd say you need to be 179cm or up to look tall from my perspective and 5'11" looks quite tall. Try not to be biased by numbers, just trying to find out on average the difference required and mention your height as well.

Infinity

Re: How tall starts to look tall from your perspective?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »

Being tall can be looked into relative or absolute terms. Relative to you, your social circle or the country you live in, when it comes to this aspect its very individual depending upon your current height and the other factors i mentioned. This can also be a shifting target as your circumstances change.

Absolute is more universally accepted. so looking from absolute perspective good height/tall starts from 175+ in Asia and 183+ in Europe/North America.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:53:13 PM by Infinity »

deletedaccount

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »

Being tall can be looked into relative or absolute terms. Relative to you, your social circle or the country you live in, when it comes to this aspect its very individual depending upon your current height and the other factors i mentioned. This can also be a shifting target as your circumstances change.

Absolute is more universally accepted. so looking from absolute perspective tall starts from 175+ in Asia and 180-183+ in Europe/North America.
I'd say 5'10-5'11" onwards is tall in Asia, 6'0-6'1" in America and 6'1-6'2" in Europe

What I meant to ask was what does tall look like from your own eye ignoring other factors.

Skyisthelimit

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »

Having lived in the US, visited many countries in Europe, and currently living in The Netherlands, I would define the taller limits as follows:
US: 6’ and above
Southern Europe: 6’1 and above
Northern Europe: 6’2 and above... It might be even more for other people to actually see you as a tall person.
Southern-most of South America (not including Peru, Bolivia, and all countries above that. Starting from Chile and Paraguay, downwards): 6’ and above

I could not say for Asia, since I’ve never been there.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:13:08 AM »

That’s a very interesting question. I saw a photo of an old high school friend last year and was shocked at how tall he was. He looked like 185 cm even though he was much shorter than me in high school (I’m 180 cm). I met him a few months later, and although he did have a late growth spurt, he’s still slightly shorter than me (probably 178 cm). But he is very slender and has a relatively small head, which is probably why he looks really tall in photos (unless someone taller is standing next to him).

But then again, there is this bodybuilder called Jay Cutler, who is as tall as my high school friend, and I recently saw a photo of him standing next to Olivier Richters:

So I think it really comes to who you surround yourself with. I always thought I looked tallish/average back in my home country. Now that I’m surrounded by giants all the time, my self-perception has changed dramatically. In Northern Europe, I’d say that tall starts at 188/189 cm.

Astronomy

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »

I'd say 5'10-5'11" onwards is tall in Asia, 6'0-6'1" in America and 6'1-6'2" in Europe

What I meant to ask was what does tall look like from your own eye ignoring other factors.
For China the northern height differs from the southern height by 3-4cm on average and for two provinces,Guangdong Province and Guangxi Province,I think 5'9 onwards is tall.That's said by me,a Chinese.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »

That’s a very interesting question. I saw a photo of an old high school friend last year and was shocked at how tall he was. He looked like 185 cm even though he was much shorter than me in high school (I’m 180 cm). I met him a few months later, and although he did have a late growth spurt, he’s still slightly shorter than me (probably 178 cm). But he is very slender and has a relatively small head, which is probably why he looks really tall in photos (unless someone taller is standing next to him).

But then again, there is this bodybuilder called Jay Cutler, who is as tall as my high school friend, and I recently saw a photo of him standing next to Olivier Richters:

So I think it really comes to who you surround yourself with. I always thought I looked tallish/average back in my home country. Now that I’m surrounded by giants all the time, my self-perception has changed dramatically. In Northern Europe, I’d say that tall starts at 188/189 cm.

Are you actually thinking about LL? I wondered because you post here quite often but have seldomly talked about it.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Iron_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 04:59:46 PM »

I'm 169cm and I'd say you need to be 179cm or up to look tall from my perspective and 5'11" looks quite tall. Try not to be biased by numbers, just trying to find out on average the difference required and mention your height as well.

For me, men from 182-183 cm seem tall (I'm 173). I think after the difference of 9-10 cm everyone starts to seem tall

Body Builder

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »

Jay Cutler is not 1.78 but 1.73.
Still a monster though and a living proof that big is different from tall.
Many 1.72-1.78 men look really huge compared to some 1.88 men who look like jokes.

For me, anything more than 1.83 is tall, no matter the country.
Even in Netherlands where that height is average, still men look tall because they are.
The same happens to Vietnam where average is about 1.65. Even there a man 1.68 for instance don't look tall becsuse he is not.
There are some gemeral limits for what is considered tall or short for a man (or woman) worldwide which has nothing to do.with countries.

NotSoBigBadBruin

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 10:18:49 PM »

Jay Cutler is not 1.78 but 1.73.
Still a monster though and a living proof that big is different from tall.
Many 1.72-1.78 men look really huge compared to some 1.88 men who look like jokes.

According to Wikipedia, he’s 178 cm, but I think you’re right.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 04:40:04 AM »

I thought you were 168cm?

deletedaccount

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »

I thought you were 168cm?
Turns out I'm more like closer to 169cm midday height (or a comfortable 170cm out of bed or 168.3-168.7 cm at night)
Did I grow? I'm not sure. Could be that or measuring error, this is likely much more accurate because I used a stadiometer and spirit level to confirm.

deletedaccount

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »

For me, men from 182-183 cm seem tall (I'm 173). I think after the difference of 9-10 cm everyone starts to seem tall
Agreed, visually that seems to be the point

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »

Turns out I'm more like closer to 169cm midday height (or a comfortable 170cm out of bed or 168.3-168.7 cm at night)
Did I grow? I'm not sure. Could be that or measuring error, this is likely much more accurate because I used a stadiometer and spirit level to confirm.

The night height is your actual height.

deletedaccount

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »

The night height is your actual height.
Mm, no. Your "actual height" is what people see you as during the day, not the complete compressed version of you late at night after a long day. And even if we take my low I end up around 168.5 cm night height which still rounds to 169, I'm 169 for a much larger portion of the day.

The guy who runs celebheights.com said he'd list me at 5ft 6.5 with my stats which is 169 cm.

Virtually no physical examinations take late at late night, mostly earlier in the day, morning or afternoon, sometimes evening but never immediately out of bed. All heights you can measure are real but what you look like is what you are, if you're fine underreporting yourself relative to others that's up to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up