Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur lengthening - Jan/2021 w Dr. Koehne Strdye, Germany  (Read 19724 times)

Erkan

Re: Femur lengthening - Jan/2021 w Dr. Koehne Strdye, Germany
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2022, 07:51:00 AM »

Hello everyone,

Here is a quick update,
I've had severe pain in my right leg for a few weeks. Especially in the evening so I have to take painkillers. X-ray and ultrasound are unremarkable. It feels to me as if the pain comes from the screws above the knee and radiates from there to the whole leg. It also looks a bit swollen in the area. Luckily my nails will be removed in September. I'm assuming the pain will go away after Nail removal.

senk

« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »

Hi Erkan i send you a pm, check it put if you can pls

redcentral

• Visitor
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »

Just want to say you are a big inspiration for me Erkan. I'm the same height as your original height, my legs look the same as yours did, and I've never liked the way pants fit on them. Really considering this surgery and doing approx 5cm as well, and seeing your posts is what made me create an account here.

Hope you are feeling good despite your recent pains

Erkan

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2022, 03:01:16 PM »

Thank you for the kind words redcentral!
Just wanted to tell everybody, that my nails were removed a few hours ago.
Everything went well. My legs already seem to feel lighter. this operation is much easier compared to the first. I'll be able to leave the hospital tonight. I have to take it easy for 6 weeks now (no sports or jumping allowed). Ill be on crutches for two day and then this phase of my life will be over.

ten

« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2022, 03:42:06 PM »

Thank you for the kind words redcentral!
Just wanted to tell everybody, that my nails were removed a few hours ago.
Everything went well. My legs already seem to feel lighter. this operation is much easier compared to the first. I'll be able to leave the hospital tonight. I have to take it easy for 6 weeks now (no sports or jumping allowed). Ill be on crutches for two day and then this phase of my life will be over.

if you do'nt mind can you pls check your DM?

Limbfan2020

« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2022, 11:35:42 AM »

Congrats Erkan! You were always my role model! I wish you all the best for your future.

What's your conclusion about this surgery? Are u planning another LL surgery for the tibia?

Erkan

« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2022, 10:49:33 AM »

Congrats Erkan! You were always my role model! I wish you all the best for your future.

What's your conclusion about this surgery? Are u planning another LL surgery for the tibia?

Thank you!
this will be my last post here. To all people suffering from height dysphoria. It is worth it! I am very happy that I decided to have the surgery! I will not do a second tibia operation. More lengthening is not better. You quickly get used to the new height and the initial euphoria flattens out. if you lengthen too far beyond your limit and are left with chronic pain, I imagine that's horrible. In the last few months I did have occasionally pain coming from the stryde nail. I knew it was from the nail and that was the reason I did never regret the lengthening. But if this were something I would have to live with, I would deeply regret it. Hence my advice. Find a good doctor and set a realistic limit like 6cm femur and 4cm tibia.

All the best!

Erkan

« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2023, 06:15:14 PM »

My femur broke a few ours ago . I slipped on ice. Im shocked cant write more

HeightGain

« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2023, 07:29:29 PM »

Sorry to hear, hope you are ok.

It is very hard to break the femur of a healthy adult. Have you had the nail removed? Is this poor consolidation, weakness from nail in situ or some stryde hangover?

Kanye Western

« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2023, 08:57:38 PM »

Fudge! Hope you recover soon. What impacts has this had on you now?

Cookie Girl

« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2023, 10:04:22 PM »

Thank you!
this will be my last post here. To all people suffering from height dysphoria. It is worth it! I am very happy that I decided to have the surgery! I will not do a second tibia operation. More lengthening is not better. You quickly get used to the new height and the initial euphoria flattens out. if you lengthen too far beyond your limit and are left with chronic pain, I imagine that's horrible. In the last few months I did have occasionally pain coming from the stryde nail. I knew it was from the nail and that was the reason I did never regret the lengthening. But if this were something I would have to live with, I would deeply regret it. Hence my advice. Find a good doctor and set a realistic limit like 6cm femur and 4cm tibia.

All the best!
Nice post thanks !
I'm thinking of having surgery
5'3 to 5'6

saltedchocolate

« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2023, 12:32:11 AM »

Oh god, I hope you recover soon!
7 cm gained on tibias via LON .  Had complications, Healed and moved on with life.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2023, 12:40:23 AM »

WTF.  Wishing you the best.  Please give us details when you can.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2023, 12:48:54 AM »

Heres what he said in one post:

"Hello folks,

a quick update. Unfortunately, I'll need an additional surgery. Since my bone is not growing good enough on the outerside, my doctor will swap the Stryde nail for a standard nail in January. I think that has also something to do, with the fact why the nail has been recalled. I will have to leave this new nail for about 1 year before it will be removed. My doctor is pretty sure, that the bone will grow together properly after the nail change. There are no additional costs for me, as insurance will pay for it, but it is still an additional operation which I would be happy to skip :p.
Otherwise everything is fine with me. Im still very happy that I ve made this surgery.  I haven't done any intense sport for 11 months, now because the bones are not yet 100% stable and  I don't want to take any risks. Like many of my predecessors, I emphasize that it can often take longer than expected before you can do all kinds of sports again.
Here is another picture from my last x-ray. https://imgur.com/a/ON3vIMd

Best regards!"

I assume this has to do with why his bone broke.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

Erkan

« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2023, 08:57:21 AM »

Hello everyone. Thank you for the kind words.
I try to write down what happened and how I feel.
My lengthening surgery was 2 years ago. my Nail removal was 5 months ago. The xrays before the removal showed good consolidation. Two months after the nail removal I was cleared to do sports etc. So i was already running and doing sports and everything was fine.
I cant even describe how  ty I feel right now. Yesterday I was going on the street an slipped on an iceplate. I immediately felt and heard how the bone was broken. the break did not happen on impact but beforehand due to the force applied to cushion the fall. I was laying there on the ice plate for 30 min screaming and waiting for the ambulance.
I cant the describe the pain it was the worst pain I ve ever had.
an x-ray was taken in the hospital. the bone broke through completely.

the operation was a bit complicated but everything went well i was told by the doctor. the cuts on the leg are now huge and not comparable to the cuts from the original surgery but that is the least of my worries. The doctor said that the inside of the bone wasn't firm, but he can't say whether it was because of the fracture. but apparently the bone hadn't healed yet enough.
Im still shocked and worried and cant believe what happened.
I always tried to stay safe. Not lengthening huge amounts, keeping the nail longer in and I was also very carefully after the nail removal for much longer than 6 weeks.

:(

Hatch

« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2023, 12:58:37 PM »

"inside of the bone wasn't firm"

Any idea is that because removal of nail or has it been like that all the time this 2 years?

How hard did you fall? Did you bend you leg badly etc. ?

Erkan

« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »

I have no idea why this was the case. Probably just not healed enough. Im waiting for the call of Dr. Koehne. The bone broke during the fall but yes it did bend quite hard.
Im very stressed if this could also happen to the second leg. It will take very long for me to get over this.

Werewolf

« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2023, 03:48:59 PM »

The pain of broke bone is terrible. I hope you recover soon.
List of I fked :)
@Bukibuki - @Kanye Western - @DanishViking - @shortisnotfun - @EndGame - @ballsackoffury123

Limbfan2020

« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2023, 06:56:17 PM »

Hi Erkan,

I'm sorry to hear that! I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery!  Which of your bone broke? The one with the standard nail that you got in January 22?

...the bone wasn't firm...

Could it be that the fracture was due to focal osteolysis? It was a common problem with the Stryde nail and one of the reasons why it was withdrawn from the market. Maybe you can ask Dr. Koehne about it.

Erkan

« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2023, 08:02:47 AM »

Thank you!

My right femur broke. I did not make the nail change back then, because the bone consolidated fine in the end. So I had the stryde nail in from beginning to to end without a change. The nail was in for 18 month and was removed 5 months ago.
I will have to make xrays of how the bones look now.
Dr Koehne didnt said anything about osteolysis.
The whole situation did scare me a lot. I will be very cautious in the future. The sound and the feeling of the bone breaking did make a serious trauma in my mind.

timestwo

• Visitor
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2023, 12:56:56 PM »

Sorry to hear this. Read through your diary and it seems like you did everything right. Stryde might have had something to do this. Maybe for a few months before removal, patients should lift heavy weights so that the bone thickens? Just speculating, but I hope doctors and NuVasive start taking this account.

Hatch

« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2023, 01:45:41 PM »

After nail removal I have understood any sport should be avoided next 6 months. Only walking and normal moving allowed.

Erkan

« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »

My information was to wait 6 weeks. Ive waited 12 weeks anyway because I wanted to be on the safe side. My leg also did not brake during doing sports. I slipped pretty hard on the ice plate, but I dont think my femure would break in this situation without the lengthening. I would get hurt pretty bad anyway. We wont know for sure. I will definitely get Xrays of my left leg too.
I think its better to wait 6months with sports after nail removal for future patients. And even then just starting slowly.

RealLostSoul

« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2023, 07:24:40 PM »

This really sucks. Felt hard to read. Hope you recover smoothly and I also hope you don’t have leg discrepancy now.

oeioei2

• Visitor
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2023, 12:41:49 PM »

Hope it has gotten better.
Any updates?

Limbfan2020

« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2023, 12:07:31 PM »

Hi Erkan!

How are you?

Hopefully everything is ok with him! He hasn't been active for two months.

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2023, 03:40:01 PM »

If you have recent imaging data please put it at this thread. Redact any information that could be used to dox you.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up