Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur lengthening - Jan/2021 w Dr. Koehne Strdye, Germany  (Read 19529 times)

fivetenneeded2016

Re: Femur lengthening - Jan/2021 w Dr. Koehne Strdye, Germany
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2021, 03:46:53 PM »

its really scary to read all these. as a current precise patient, could you tell me what signs i must look into to detect this early?

erkan said he had swelling, what did you(ahd) notice to suspect this? abnormal heartbeat?

i also read literature on covid or its vaccinr increasing the risk...@ahd, did you have covid or its vaccine ?
tibias: april 2018 to july 2019 under dr pili/catagni- HEF.
femurs: feb 2021 and sep 2021 dr halil-precise 2
159-181.
came. lengthened. moving on.

Ahd1978

« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »

Hello

I was eating garbage after having read on forum eat your way to glory and one of days I was eating a full pizza and coffee and coke. I think my eating became unhealthy as I assumed whatever I eat would consume it. But remember previously I had fatty liver in blood tests which I guess comes with drinking or age or bad life style. I didn’t specifically prepare for surgery as I thought I’m just in my 20s still and I’ll recover.

So what happened was that my heart beat became very fast and erratic. I rushed to ER as I mentioned and dimmer levels came elevated. Only then they did ct scan ultrasound and ecg. I was fortunate clot didn’t form to reach but blood level showed signs 

So yes heart beat and heavy breathing was for me.

I would suggest following

1. Eat well but healthy. You aren’t moving much so don’t stuff junk

2. Have blood tests every 2 weeks. Drink lots of water and that also pushed u to go to toilet more often

3. Breathing excercises daily. Getting out of bed every 2 hours and I was lazy watching tv at times.

4. Get an oxypulse meter for home to check oxygen levels.

5. Continue heparin till distraction no matter what.

6. Do not panic breathe heavily and have emergency on speed dial. Pain worsens it.

7. Besides this inside ankle of right leg and lateral femoral nerve of left leg has gone numb with tingling sensations. But that dr. Paley says is from surgery and is normal and over time when we get active these nerves come back.

I have been told to continue with distraction I am trying for 7.5 and currently close to 5.5.

Listen to your body it will give you signs. Don’t over exert either.

Over all it’s tough journey mentally physically and all levels.

Take each day as it comes as some days are excellent and some just very tiring.

I am still learning about energy levels being so low and adapting to this new pace.

And pls pls have someone with you. I had no one past 2 months and it really sucks emotionally. That’s why I have a care taker so we have something to share or talk and he can always be around if I need to rush somewhere.

Hope this helps.

I will brief all on my blood tests next week and let’s see if dimmer levels have come down which they should as  they only stay elevated 6 weeks post surgery.

But I am really pushing local docs here in absence of dr. Paley and they might not like my approach but I have paid 100 usd  for this and if I’m just left alone to figure it all out myself.  No thank you. I will push the limits do research and continue with blood tests so these docs know I’m not just a number

HeightGain

« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »

Hopefully you will able to reach your goal, if not then you still achieved a good gain and recovery should be very easy.

Are you doing much exercise? Does Dr Kohne allowing cycling in a gym? Do you have any exercises for plantar flexion, they might help promote blood flow.

Do you you have any family history of clotting disorders, they are very common?

D dimer is a non specific test an ultrasound is much better

redwedding

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2021, 06:12:55 PM »

dear Ahd1978,

its normal protocol to do only the xrays every two weeks. All the doctors I have consulted told to me this. 

This is my humble opinion from my side friend: I think some of this things are in your head. the mind can play games on you. I want to tell you a short story. When the pandemic was at its peak I fell ill and thought I Had got the covid. I knew all the symptoms from Google and news channels. One day after coming back from the super market I felt more tired than the usual. So I convinved myself that I had the covid. I slept on my bed except to eat and go to bathroom and kept thinking about my breathing and heartrate. My heartrate was in consistently in the 120 and above. my oxygen levels were in the normal as per the oxymeter. Then after 2 days of living in the fear like this I called the ambulance and got the covid test done and it came negative. Then automatically my symptoms vanished away.

anyway the health is precious and if you want to do more tests and be safe then it's not a problem. But I just wanted to tell you the tale of my story of anxiousness which made me think I have severe the heart problems and breathing problems but it was nothing.

And Ahd1978, THANK YOU for asking Dr Paley about whether dvt means you should stop the lengthening. I am finally very happy to hear this answer from the expert.

cheers,
sergio
If deep bone infection and the pulmonary embolism was not a risk I will do this operation tomorrow!

Erkan

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »

Ahd1978 wrote some very very good points. you shouldn't expect doctors to notice everything by themselves! Everyone feels their own body best. regular blood tests and be on dot yourself!
Wish you the best!

Hopefully you will able to reach your goal, if not then you still achieved a good gain and recovery should be very easy.

Are you doing much exercise? Does Dr Kohne allowing cycling in a gym? Do you have any exercises for plantar flexion, they might help promote blood flow.

Do you you have any family history of clotting disorders, they are very common?

D dimer is a non specific test an ultrasound is much better

Thank you! I was not thinking about cycling, but I will ask him. I wear compression stockings during the day and take regular walks. I avoid sitting and standing.
There is no clotting disorder I know about in our family. My father had thrombosis because he got a bandage wrong in the hospital over the weekend.....

Yeah I ve got an ultrasound.

Ahd1978

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »

I agree totally

The local docs also gave me anti anxiety meds which I tried for few days but made my mouth dry and next day groggy.

I am taking each day as it comes. I avoid any googling as I understand totally. But I only went to ER when heartbeat was erratic.

And possibility of clot came up only when ER doc checked blood dimmer levels and found them elevated.

With heparin injections one has to monitor blood tests regularly. So my plan is to use injections till distraction phase which I am away from by 4 weeks. Then move to xarelto for next 2 months till I am fully active. 

Btw dr. Paley also gets very upset when I ask him questions from reading online or forum.  He does very very complex surgeries and for all his patients he replies online within the same day. Sometimes same hour and I respect that a lot. 

He is direct and to the point. 

So when I ask him doc do I continue distraction he will reply yes or no and I have to follow through

If you wish to know any further things happy to receive personal messages.

Are you doing surgery Sergio ?

Why are all so much against reaching full potential of 8 cm for femur. I can tell you one thing in mirror every cm counts. 

I don’t see any change in dynamics yet for myself at 5.5.

Maybe last inch would change that but I wouldn’t know as with tightness only once it’s gone during consolidation that I would know how well now I can handle new height.

Any suggestions

Ahd1978

« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »

Also I want to highlight the case of the Canadian Indian guy who died from a pe with dr. Guichet

His sister  has written a heartfelt column on the same. 

This is by no means to scare anyone including myself.

But he was fit and a young runner too.

He had signs in previous week and his family told him to get it checked which he ignored.

When clot happened he tried to rush but was too late. 

So moral of story is like I have said before we know our bodies. If you feel tired unusual pain or anything out of ordinary don’t be doctor for your self.

Prevention is better than cure. Get to ER and no harm in doing a blood test.

That’s just my opinion. 

And I am one of few cases who had fat embolism Andy surgery was stopped for hours before paley could continue again. Reasons unknown. Bone was too hard so reaming became difficult for his tools. Other issues could be fat movement in blood. 

Of all surgeries in my life. This one has given me a good run for my value for life.

So just sharing with all.

redwedding

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »

dear Anhd1978,

now your situation is clear to me. But I think that you should have done the d-dimer test before the operation also to be sure its not the condition that you have from before the operation. d-dimer test is not the specific test for the dvt but an indicative test (you know this as you did the ultrasound test later).

are you comfortable with Dr Paley's response to continue the lengthening after this d-dimer test result? I think you should be because there is no clots so far. But you can ask to him if it's safe to continue even if there is the dvt later on (God forbid).
I have did the consultation with Dr Paley and I could not ask him many cross questions because he takes his time to talk and does not like questioning about the things he have already explained. He told to me many times "I have already explained this to you ..." when I asked to him some follow up questions.

Maybe we should just believe him?

After reading all this I am thinking it's the best to do the lengthening while living in a hospital with nurses. Dr Donghoon's facility provides this privilege.

And no Ahd I am not doing the lengthening. My biggest fear has been the deep bone infection but after reading all these stories and knowing that I am a very anxious person I think I will imagine such problems for sure even if they do not happen to me. I am planning to do the one leg first and then the other.

Your lengthening goal is personal to you Ahd1978 but your plan pre operation was to get to the 8cm and if Dr Paley assures you that this test report is O.K. for continuing the lengthening then you should continue..

cheers,
sergio
If deep bone infection and the pulmonary embolism was not a risk I will do this operation tomorrow!

Ahd1978

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2021, 07:25:34 PM »

Brother I think deep bone infection is very very rare

I had done 2 consultations one with dr. Paley and other dr. Giotikas

Dr.  G handles trauma and serious cases. In many cases he explained to me the injured have bone damaged to point where even saving life becomes critical let alone the leg and they still manage to save many accident cases. And no cases of bone infection.

Dr. Paley I have seen myself here in poland the critical cases he handles and various deformities in kids with some kids missing bones from birth and he has done miracles to save their lives and legs from amputation. Again no cases of deep bone infection.

I agree with you I should have had proper blood work done before surgery to have pre and post levels.

But now yes I am taking dr.  Paley word for it. He is experienced and most renowned

He has reduced my distraction from 1mm to .75 which actually has helped with pain and overall uncomfortable feeling. 

I guess towards end I would go to .50 to push out maximum I can.

Thanks so don’t fear about the bone infection. With right surgeon you are in good hands.

FSchez

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »

I have something important to tell you. About 2 weeks ago I felt a strong pain in my right leg while stretching. Probably a muscle strain. since then my right leg was a bit swollen and hurt more than my left. but nothing bad. My mother, (she is nurse), recently saw the slightly swollen leg and has asked me every day since, that I should clarify whether it is not a thrombosis. Since I take prophilaxic thrombosis injections every day and I also exercise regularly, I ignored it but made an examination today to calm her down. and the result was unfortunately really thrombosis. I was shocked. They immediately called the ambulance. It was a scary feeling. They have now switched to xarelto as bloodthinner. of course i'm a little concerned now. I hope I can still finish distraction as planned. what I mean by that: if you are unsure, it is better to get checked. I would have never thought that its thrombosis in my case since the only indication was light swelling which I was blaming on the muscle strain. As you know this could have a deadly ending. maybe my mother saved my life by doing this!
Hi Erkan!
Your news has left me frozen ... Although we have not spoken much yet, I have felt pain like when a family member or close friend has a serious problem ... As our situation with the surgery is very similar and we are almost in the same phase of the process the news has shocked me a lot. I really appreciate your advice to improve my walking, which is really starting to work ;) , although now that is not something important ...
It scares me to think that leg thrombosis has few detectable symptoms in our current state, but luckily your mother has helped you detect it early.
What have the doctors and the doctor recommended for you to improve and prevent it from happening again, in addition to the blood thinner?
Although you still had in mind to continue lengthening your legs a little more, the most important thing right now is your health, so I send you all my strength and wishes so that you get better and this great scare will pass soon ...
I hope you give us good news soon, good luck friend!
Keep strong!!

redwedding

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2021, 12:55:49 PM »

Brother I think deep bone infection is very very rare

I had done 2 consultations one with dr. Paley and other dr. Giotikas

Dr.  G handles trauma and serious cases. In many cases he explained to me the injured have bone damaged to point where even saving life becomes critical let alone the leg and they still manage to save many accident cases. And no cases of bone infection.

Dr. Paley I have seen myself here in poland the critical cases he handles and various deformities in kids with some kids missing bones from birth and he has done miracles to save their lives and legs from amputation. Again no cases of deep bone infection.

I agree with you I should have had proper blood work done before surgery to have pre and post levels.

But now yes I am taking dr.  Paley word for it. He is experienced and most renowned

He has reduced my distraction from 1mm to .75 which actually has helped with pain and overall uncomfortable feeling. 

I guess towards end I would go to .50 to push out maximum I can.

Thanks so don’t fear about the bone infection. With right surgeon you are in good hands.

Thanks Ahd1978. I wish to you and Erkan good luck and hope that the dvt resolves fastly for Erkan and never becomes a problem for you. If you have some spare time please consider writing the diary to share your unique experience and the perspectives on this operation.

regards,
sergio

Erkan

« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2021, 02:13:39 PM »

Hi Erkan!
Your news has left me frozen ... Although we have not spoken much yet, I have felt pain like when a family member or close friend has a serious problem ... As our situation with the surgery is very similar and we are almost in the same phase of the process the news has shocked me a lot. I really appreciate your advice to improve my walking, which is really starting to work ;) , although now that is not something important ...
It scares me to think that leg thrombosis has few detectable symptoms in our current state, but luckily your mother has helped you detect it early.
What have the doctors and the doctor recommended for you to improve and prevent it from happening again, in addition to the blood thinner?
Although you still had in mind to continue lengthening your legs a little more, the most important thing right now is your health, so I send you all my strength and wishes so that you get better and this great scare will pass soon ...
I hope you give us good news soon, good luck friend!
Keep strong!!
Hey Fschez!
thank you for the encouraging words.
I read something interesting. In a study it was found that the risk of thrombosis is significantly increased as a result of torn muscle fiber. I told you that about 2 weeks ago I felt a strong pain in the muscle during my stretching exercises. Maybe I tore my muscle fiber. I think that's one of the reasons that led to my thrombosis.

Erkan

« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2021, 02:17:26 PM »

thanks to everyone here for the support!

FSchez

« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »

Hey Fschez!
thank you for the encouraging words.
I read something interesting. In a study it was found that the risk of thrombosis is significantly increased as a result of torn muscle fiber. I told you that about 2 weeks ago I felt a strong pain in the muscle during my stretching exercises. Maybe I tore my muscle fiber. I think that's one of the reasons that led to my thrombosis.
Hello again friend!
The relationship between fiber breakage and increased risk of thrombosis is interesting and at the same time disturbing ...
I suppose that it is very difficult to know for sure the origin of the thrombosis, but to minimize the risks, among other healthy habits, we will have to take into account not to force our muscles excessively ...
The important thing now that you are under control is that you take good care of yourself and improve.
Good luck!!
Hope you have good news soon.

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2021, 12:18:42 AM »

Erkan - hope you’re doing better! Thank goodness your mom was there to steer you to get the issue spotted and addressed. A great reminder for all to not just push push for the height but to always be as safe as possible.
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

Erkan

« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »

I have good news. The thrombosis has partially resolved. Had a duplex sonography yesterday and it is much better than 10 days ago. I've tried on some new clothes to see how I look in them now. i am really happy with my height and proportions now. maybe I still make 3mm to have full 5cm if possible.
Ive made some pictures in a self Photo Shoot :p
https://imgur.com/a/9eqyq0E

as a reminder, this is how I looked before. Unfortunately not in the same clothes. maybe I'll make a comparison with the same clothes in the future
https://imgur.com/a/bSa63KE

thanks for your support!

Ahd1978

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2021, 03:23:27 PM »

Hey brother erkan

I had you in my prayers and was actually going to message you to ask how it has been going for you.

Pics look awesome and so so happy to hear results r clear.

I too had my blood test and dimmer levels now down from below. Still not normal but have another test end of month and by then would be in normal range.

I agree with you new height just looks so awesome. It’s like shock when u wake up and you have these tall legs.

I am close to 182 cm but I started with 176,5 so it’s relative to each of us.

I am contemplating pushing full 8cm coz in effect I would only get 7.3 to 7.4 cm.

Are you going to do same.  My flexion rom and all is good. And I am only doing .5 mm distraction. So all under control.

Are you going to start to distract further ?

Let me know brother

Erkan

« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »

Hey ahd!

Its great to hear you are doing better! Yeah I do have to get used to the new height either.
I will stop at 5cm. So only 2mm distraction. I will not go further. My End height is your starting height :D.
I could push another cm but I feel like this is the perfect height for me. It fits my body and feels right.
I wish you the best, and a fast recovery my friend!

Serilium

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »

Your proportions looks amazing Erkan. Cheers man!

Erkan

« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2021, 05:09:13 PM »

Thx man!

FSchez

« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2021, 06:34:28 PM »

I have good news. The thrombosis has partially resolved. Had a duplex sonography yesterday and it is much better than 10 days ago. I've tried on some new clothes to see how I look in them now. i am really happy with my height and proportions now. maybe I still make 3mm to have full 5cm if possible.
Ive made some pictures in a self Photo Shoot :p
https://imgur.com/a/9eqyq0E

as a reminder, this is how I looked before. Unfortunately not in the same clothes. maybe I'll make a comparison with the same clothes in the future
https://imgur.com/a/bSa63KE

thanks for your support!

Hi again Erkan !!
After seeing the 2 photos you look better and much taller now ... If you are going to try to increase 2 mm more I suppose it is because you are already much better. I'm really glad you got over the shock and are happy with your new height.
I began to feel the difference in height when I was reaching 4 cm, and every time you feel better ... :D
Hope it all goes well for you,
Keep strong my friend !!

redwedding

« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »

dear Erkan,

You are looking great. I hope that this operation will cure your mental difficulties and finally stop your dependency on the medications and you will become the kind person to the world. Even though I cannot see your face in the photo I can see your smile.

regards,
sergio

HeightGain

« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »

Good news. The proportions look better now

Ak95

« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »

Erkan did you lenghening the femur ?

Erkan

« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2021, 09:08:30 AM »

Hey!
Yes I did Femur +5cm. Ive made a clip with blue skinny jeans. It shows the femur, but I think it doesnt catch the eye. Im wearing the compression stockings under the jeans. It makes the jeans look even tighter.
https://imgur.com/a/yYr5oxX

FSchez

« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2021, 11:12:37 AM »

Hey!
Yes I did Femur +5cm. Ive made a clip with blue skinny jeans. It shows the femur, but I think it doesnt catch the eye. Im wearing the compression stockings under the jeans. It makes the jeans look even tighter.
https://imgur.com/a/yYr5oxX

Congratulations my friend !!
You look tall and with good proportions. You also walk quite well after lengthening 5 cms ...
Keep it up, sure that you will soon regain your athletic ability before the surgery ... ;)

Ak95

« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2021, 11:25:28 AM »

You Look really. I could Not notice anything .
First i thought you lengthening the tibias.

karin123

• Visitor
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2021, 07:35:49 AM »

hi, hope you are doing well. Can you please share Doctor Koehne's webpage?

Erkan

« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »

hi, hope you are doing well. Can you please share Doctor Koehne's webpage?

Hey of course,
https://beinverlaengerungszentrum.de/beinverlaengerung-muenchen/?cli_action=1619016183.568

I had xrays today. We did just check if both sides are equally distracted. Im at 5,2 L and 5,3 R. So I will do my last distraction on the left leg today and start officially my consolidation phase :).

fritz

• Visitor
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »

Hi Erkan, i've just sent you a PM, can you  please check your inbox? Thx

karin123

• Visitor
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »

thank you!
wow, sounds good, very happy for you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up