Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muscularity before LL  (Read 1336 times)

Longer

Muscularity before LL
« on: January 10, 2021, 03:01:35 PM »

Is it actually beneficial to be muscular (esp. in the legs) when one is undergoing the surgery (Stryde femurs)?
Will one be faster on their feet or is it counterproductive bc of the surgeon has to damage more muscle and more muscle mass has to be stretched during the distraction phase?
I haven't found any clear response to this question.

Kind regards and thank you.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Muscularity before LL
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »

It's bad.  The more tissue you have to stretch, the more difficult and painful it will be.

gottagrowfast

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:36:43 PM »

It's bad.  The more tissue you have to stretch, the more difficult and painful it will be.
I heard that being active before surgery means you're more likely to regain full mobility afterwards though, and generally more activity = stronger leg muscles.

Body Builder

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 01:32:52 PM »

I heard that being active before surgery means you're more likely to regain full mobility afterwards though, and generally more activity = stronger leg muscles.
Sorry but that is simply not true.

If you have normal legs before LL and everything goes well, you'll be as good as you can get after LL.
Much muscles will make anything harder while lengthening and your rom worse.

Before LL you simy need to be relatively healthy and nornal.
Nothing else is needed.

DutchGiant

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:31 PM »

I'm now preparing to be in the best shape possible once I do my LL coming fall.

Ofcourse this involved lots of stretching, but I'm wondering about muscularity.
As I do a fair amount of fitness I have quite muscular legs. Would it be advisable to stop squatting/training legs altogether for the coming year? Or perhaps do some fullsquats at a medium load once a week, to keep the legs from becoming too weak.

I figure it may be best to keep a bunch of muscle on until months before the procedure, so that I will be able to bounce back quicker during the recovery phase, due to muscle memory.

Body Builder

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:44:32 PM »

I'm now preparing to be in the best shape possible once I do my LL coming fall.

Ofcourse this involved lots of stretching, but I'm wondering about muscularity.
As I do a fair amount of fitness I have quite muscular legs. Would it be advisable to stop squatting/training legs altogether for the coming year? Or perhaps do some fullsquats at a medium load once a week, to keep the legs from becoming too weak.

I figure it may be best to keep a bunch of muscle on until months before the procedure, so that I will be able to bounce back quicker during the recovery phase, due to muscle memory.
If you already have muscular legs then muscle memory is there and you'll never lose it.
Stop heavy squats and focus on stretching amd flexibility. Big muscles won't help and you already have muscle memory so after LL you'll get back muscles relatively easy if things go well.

gottagrowfast

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »

If you already have muscular legs then muscle memory is there and you'll never lose it.
Stop heavy squats and focus on stretching amd flexibility. Big muscles won't help and you already have muscle memory so after LL you'll get back muscles relatively easy if things go well.
So maybe the ideal is to get big legs and then intentionally let them atrophy back to normal before LL? Would muscle memory help you recover strength in your legs more quickly when you start walking again?

Longer

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 07:58:41 PM »

You guys talk about getting strong and muscular legs like getting a CLL done in ~1 year. You don't just get big muscular legs, this is something you have to achieve over several years. I'd like to see someone on this forum going from not being a squatter to around 150kg/335lbs proper (not like a quarter squat) backsquat.

Tartar

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »

You guys talk about getting strong and muscular legs like getting a CLL done in ~1 year. You don't just get big muscular legs, this is something you have to achieve over several years. I'd like to see someone on this forum going from not being a squatter to around 150kg/335lbs proper (not like a quarter squat) backsquat.
I agree, I'm always reading people who probably have never played any sport talking about bulding muscles as if it is an easy thing to do when you like. That's an hard thing to do and it truly requires a great dedication.

Mule

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 09:57:42 PM »

I think flexibility is the most important thing, so keep stretching!

gottagrowfast

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 12:24:28 PM »

You're being wildly over-dramatic. No one's talking about competing for Mr. Olympia. Literally just squat for a few months and your legs will look big. No   they won't be bodybuilder tier. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be big and strong by regular standards.

Vibes

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »

I hold a bit different viewpoint than some other people in this thread.

Let me show an example: Jujimmufu

He is extremely muscular...but also flexible.

It seems most in this thread consider any level of muscular hypertrophy will automatically make someone less flexible. And this would be true...unless you also emphasize stretching while focusing on muscular hypertrophy and neuro-muscular effectiveness (aka strength).

The main thing going for you if you have muscle already is this special phenomenon within the body refered to as mTOR. In simplest terms, mTOR is essentially how our body is able to replicable protein-dense cells aka muscles and soft tissues.

So that means if you develop a strong base of muscularity for many months or ideally years prior to surgery, while always emphasizing flexibility to the same degree of intensity (perhaps even greater intensity and effort given to flexibility, and THEN stop lifting/hypertrophy-focused exercise ~3 months prior to surgery to allow de-training to take affect leading to decreased muscle size from decrease in contractile size (thus easier time stretching them out), you essentially create a hyper-anabolic environment for your body post-surgery.

With the end effect of "muscle memory" allowing you to spring back much quicker post-op.

Speaking with Dr. Robbins (Paley's fellow Dr. he does the surgery with), the absolute best patient outcomes had consistently been long-time athletes who dropped the heavy sports a few months prior to surgery to hyper-focus on flexibility (he mentioned a football player, a crossfit guy, and a skier/outdoorsman I think who had a journal on this forum already).

AKA exactly what my hypothesis is regarding this question.

TL/DR: be fit and flexible. Not just one or the other.

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »

+1

You're being wildly over-dramatic. No one's talking about competing for Mr. Olympia. Literally just squat for a few months and your legs will look big. No   they won't be bodybuilder tier. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be big and strong by regular standards.

Hahahaha. I hope this was intended to be a joke.
Looking for an alternative.

Activatedxx

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 11:37:46 PM »

I agree, I'm always reading people who probably have never played any sport talking about bulding muscles as if it is an easy thing to do when you like. That's an hard thing to do and it truly requires a great dedication.

Not true at all, with muscle memory within 4-6 months you can make giant improvements. I used to wrestle in high school and run track. I quit exercising and started vaping/smoking tobacco hookah after high school. I went from ripped at 6% body fat to skinny/scrawny again.

I’m preparing to have tibia in April and these last two months of working out my body has gained a ton of muscle and strength and I only work out 3-4 days a week. I haven’t worked out legs or squatted in years and within 2 months I am already maxed at squatting double my body weight. Although it’s true if you never had any sort of muscle memory it would be difficult
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

gottagrowfast

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »

+1

Hahahaha. I hope this was intended to be a joke.
You must be incredibly low T. I feel sorry for you.

Longer

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:27 PM »

Okay let's check it! What are your strength numbers? I am genuinely interested in your numbers since you seem to know how to build muscle and strength.

F_99

• Height Communist
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 09:05:08 PM »

You must be incredibly low T.

Nah, I'm realistic. You just don't lift weights for a few months and your legs become big. They will look more toned, ~defined muscles provided you have mid-low BFp, but that's it.

I feel sorry for you.
Do you even lift?
Looking for an alternative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up