Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice ?  (Read 1232 times)

marcjero

advice ?
« on: December 14, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »

Hi

height : 162cm
wingspan : close to 162cm
femur : 40.4 cm
tibia : 33cm

8 cm femur or let's say 7cm femur + 5cm tibia ?

femur+ tibia is better for proportions but final height at 175cm and wingspan is small...

Thank you

ReadRothbard

Re: advice ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »

Hey,

For you, you shouldn't lengthen much more than 8 cm on the femurs and 6.5 cm on the tibias (which is about 20% of your limb length). The numbers you proposed are about 17% and 15% respectively, so those should be fine. The only concerning part is your wingspan; are you sure you measured it right?
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

marcjero

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 12:03:05 AM »

Yes I think armspan is measured right

ReadRothbard

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 02:48:07 AM »

I would say that you should probably look into arm lengthening surgery, too, then.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

SuchLL

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 03:34:52 AM »

Short wingspan is noticeable to LLers because we know about the procedure. I can also tell someone has longer femurs or tibias. To be honest longer femurs or tibias don’t look good to me either. However I never paid attention to femur tibia ratio before I actually went through the procedure myself. I guess LLers just have better “trained” eyes because they know about leg lengthening. Yes short arms may make you look a little “off” but it won’t be noticeable to most people. However if it bothers you, arm lengthening is an option and I heard it’s much easier than leg lengthening.

marcjero

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »

You are right. I think wingspan won't be much a problem iI stay close to 10cm difference.
I will probably try to do both femur and tibias and reach about 1m72.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »

Aesthetically and sports-wise, you should have a wingspan about equal to your height. If that doesn't matter to you, then yeah, it's not an issue.

Future space tycoon

marcjero

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »

I understand. I think I could be happy with 1m70. Less difference with wingspan. Could get this with just femur but proportion would be 70%. Is 70% really shocking ?

zaozari

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 05:53:20 PM »

I know this is not the standard opinion here but you can do more research on scientific sources to check alternative opinions. You should also simulate lenghtening in a mock picture. In the first decades of CLL you allmost allways did tibias only.
If talking about proportions, never do 8 cm alone in femurs! If doing one segment only, do 7 cm on tibias (or even 7,5/8 cm if it's a good, experienced surgeon, and if things are going on ok during the process).
In this case,  doing tibias alone has also other advantages altough it may take a little longer.
Femurs are already the longest bones. If additionally lenghtened, you will have your knees visually too much "pushed" to the ground. It will look weird specially when leg nked like on shorts, in the beach, with your partner, etc.
On the other hand, aproaching tibias measure to femurs usually doesn't seem awkward. This may be due to several reasons,  one of which is that the shorter you are, the shortest the tibias usually are, also in relative terms.
I would avoid surgery in two segments for safety reasons (and to avoid enlarging that diference to wingspan altough this is less relevant; see below).
But if you really want more than 7,5 on tibias only, do 5 cm more on femurs. [You can do more on femurs but I would stay on the saffer side, specially if tibias are extended those 7,5 cm, to avoid disruption of "entire leg" biomechanics. And also because femur lenghtening is very "heavy" for a big mass of soft tissue and muscle. You have a lot more physiotherapy "education" to do on your body, like glutes that become weak and make it hard to seat for example.]
DON'T THINK ABOUT ARM LENGHTENING!. You will have another relatively risky surgery and enter into a SPIRAL of disproportion: hands too "short" for longer arms, torso too short also, etc.
Also, there is no such thing as a perfect wingspan ratio. Our bodies are not governed by any "golden number" taken from Ancient Greece or Da Vinci. Except extreme or special cases,  like some sports, dance, etc., for ordinary observers, nobody notices or cares about wingspan/ leg ratio in daily life.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 06:24:33 PM by zaozari »

marcjero

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 09:29:23 PM »

I agree for the arms. Mine doesn't seem short at all. I think that's the main problem is that my hands are small.

I have a problem with my bones measures. Femur is measured from knee to top of the bone. But that's not the visible length of the femur. In fact my tibia actually looks longer than my femur. I observing people and I see many tall guys with long femurs (longer than tibias) and it's not really shocking me.

Does the 80% perfect ratio apply to the whole bones length really ? If true when you have 80% I think femur and tibia should look about the same length visually. Am I correct ?

ilovescience

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 09:38:12 PM »

I agree for the arms. Mine doesn't seem short at all. I think that's the main problem is that my hands are small.

I have a problem with my bones measures. Femur is measured from knee to top of the bone. But that's not the visible length of the femur. In fact my tibia actually looks longer than my femur. I observing people and I see many tall guys with long femurs (longer than tibias) and it's not really shocking me.

Does the 80% perfect ratio apply to the whole bones length really ? If true when you have 80% I think femur and tibia should look about the same length visually. Am I correct ?

There are some tall people with smaller hands than short people

SuchLL

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 11:37:46 PM »

Before surgeries my lower legs looked a bit longer than my upper legs. However xrays showed I had ratio 79%. I think 80% means lower legs look a bit longer than upper legs visually.

Scarface92

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 11:59:25 PM »

hi guys I was following the discussion, it is very true, my cousin is 10cm taller than me, he has smaller feet and smaller hands, even the bones in general, so sometimes hands and feet are not perfectly proportioned to the height.

marcjero

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2021, 12:16:48 AM »

Before surgeries my lower legs looked a bit longer than my upper legs. However xrays showed I had ratio 79%. I think 80% means lower legs look a bit longer than upper legs visually.

Interesting, my ratio is 82% and I see the same. I think that having femurs slightly longer looks better. Sp 70% could be good aesthetically

marcjero

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »

marcjero

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »

I know this is not the standard opinion here but you can do more research on scientific sources to check alternative opinions. You should also simulate lenghtening in a mock picture. In the first decades of CLL you allmost allways did tibias only.
If talking about proportions, never do 8 cm alone in femurs! If doing one segment only, do 7 cm on tibias (or even 7,5/8 cm if it's a good, experienced surgeon, and if things are going on ok during the process).
In this case,  doing tibias alone has also other advantages altough it may take a little longer.
Femurs are already the longest bones. If additionally lenghtened, you will have your knees visually too much "pushed" to the ground. It will look weird specially when leg nked like on shorts, in the beach, with your partner, etc.
On the other hand, aproaching tibias measure to femurs usually doesn't seem awkward. This may be due to several reasons,  one of which is that the shorter you are, the shortest the tibias usually are, also in relative terms.
I would avoid surgery in two segments for safety reasons (and to avoid enlarging that diference to wingspan altough this is less relevant; see below).
But if you really want more than 7,5 on tibias only, do 5 cm more on femurs. [You can do more on femurs but I would stay on the saffer side, specially if tibias are extended those 7,5 cm, to avoid disruption of "entire leg" biomechanics. And also because femur lenghtening is very "heavy" for a big mass of soft tissue and muscle. You have a lot more physiotherapy "education" to do on your body, like glutes that become weak and make it hard to seat for example.]
DON'T THINK ABOUT ARM LENGHTENING!. You will have another relatively risky surgery and enter into a SPIRAL of disproportion: hands too "short" for longer arms, torso too short also, etc.
Also, there is no such thing as a perfect wingspan ratio. Our bodies are not governed by any "golden number" taken from Ancient Greece or Da Vinci. Except extreme or special cases,  like some sports, dance, etc., for ordinary observers, nobody notices or cares about wingspan/ leg ratio in daily life.

It's has been a long time now but I thank you for this answer. I agree I have to lengthen tibias first. Maybe I can share my X-rays here ? I think hat 5 to 6 cm on tibias would be good enough and won't look weird.

Here is the X-ray with dimensions :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ypEaBvoSxhq1sgWitICJ9-Ss9PM4NjKn/view?usp=sharing

marcjero

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2022, 09:03:19 PM »

Would anyone could do a mockup for 7cm tibia lengthening please ?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 06:37:20 AM »

Not clicking that google link. I will if you host it somewhere else, such as imgbb.com

marcjero

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 12:28:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up