Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur lengthening with Dr. Betz - 2021  (Read 13443 times)

DonBones

Re: Femur lengthening with Dr. Betz - 2021
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 07:09:57 AM »

Some really good advice here, I will get in touch with Peter Woll as well :)

Best of luck for the surgery! 
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

chasing_higher_dream

• Life is what you make it
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »

I am glad it helps you.

Thanks for luck @DonBones
Femurs with Dr. Betz - May 2021
Height (night):  170 cm --> 178 cm
Wingspan: 174 cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66215.0

Limbfan2020

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »

chasing_higher_dream
Thanks for asking Dr Betz about the future of Betzbone and his successor.

What's his strategy to prevent fat embolism? Did he mention something during the frst appointment?

I wish you the best for tomorrow! See you on the bright side of life!

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 02:29:02 PM »

Thanks for the wishes @Limbfan2020

As far as I recall, he did say that bone reaming increases intramedullary pressure and may cause fat embolism. To counteract this Dr. Betz vents holes through the other side of the femur, so when the reaming process starts through the hip area, the excess fat and liquid get taken out automatically from the opposite vented hole due to the pressure.

Bagga

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »

Are you nervous?
Hope you have a smooth operation on Monday

DonBones

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2021, 08:48:12 PM »

Hope all went well 🤞

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »

Brief Update: Surgery successfully done
Initial gap: 6 mm

Going to hospital
On Monday I got up early at 5:30 AM in the morning and I packed all my stuff and exited the Airbnb and started walking towards the hospital. It took me 15 minutes to reach the hospital, upon arrival I was taken into a room where I had to wait for 30 minutes before I had once again a Covid test.

Surgery
I was taken into a room and was asked to change into surgery clothes, post that the nurse came and shaved the hairs from my thighs. After this I was asked to lie down on the bed and then I was rolled to the surgical room. I saw Dr. Betz, Dr. Backer, anesthesiologist, Daniela and 2 more hospital staff. On my left arm they put a device to continuously measure my blood pressure and on my right arm they put a syringe and the anesthesiologist said you will soon go to sleep. Within 5 seconds, I started to feel dizzy. They put a mask on my face and I was deep asleep. The next memory I had was, I was outside the surgical room and Dr. Betz came and said the surgery was successful. He said that he had used 11 mm Betzbone nails and the initial gap is 6 mm.

Post surgery
After surgery I was taken to a private room having a bed, a TV and a big window with lots of natural light. Most of the time I was asleep, I woke up at 1p.m. when Dr. Betz and Dr. Backer came to visit me. They helped me to get out of my bed and helped me to walk a few steps. It was tough, but manageable. The pain was not so strong, maybe 3 / 10. After that for the entire day I slept and in the evening I had some light snacks, then I took my medication and again I went back to sleep. I had a good nights sleep, I did not wake up due to any pain.

Next day
I woke up at 7 am in the morning, the pain was still relatively low. I must say the pain is lesser than I anticipated, I hope it remains the same. For pissing, I was given a container to piss in. The breakfast and lunch on the second day was considerably better. Also the nurses are good, within just one click of a button, they come by and help. I also spend some time chitchatting with nurses to get rid of my boredom. Physiotherapist attended me at around 11 am and we did a few exercises and practiced walking on crutches. In the late afternoon, Dr. Betz and Daniela also visited me. Daniela helped me to get out of the bed and we did one more round of walking practice with crutches. The most difficult part is to get out of bed by yourself, it feels like my legs weigh 100 kg. But once out of bed I am able to walk with crutches. There is some pain on the right side of the leg above the knee when I try to put pressure on it while walking. Apart from this, so far everything seems to be going well.

I will not update this diary daily but once I have made some significant progress.

DonBones

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2021, 05:41:43 PM »

Brief Update: Surgery successfully done
Initial gap: 6 mm

Going to hospital
On Monday I got up early at 5:30 AM in the morning and I packed all my stuff and exited the Airbnb and started walking towards the hospital. It took me 15 minutes to reach the hospital, upon arrival I was taken into a room where I had to wait for 30 minutes before I had once again a Covid test.

Surgery
I was taken into a room and was asked to change into surgery clothes, post that the nurse came and shaved the hairs from my thighs. After this I was asked to lie down on the bed and then I was rolled to the surgical room. I saw Dr. Betz, Dr. Backer, anesthesiologist, Daniela and 2 more hospital staff. On my left arm they put a device to continuously measure my blood pressure and on my right arm they put a syringe and the anesthesiologist said you will soon go to sleep. Within 5 seconds, I started to feel dizzy. They put a mask on my face and I was deep asleep. The next memory I had was, I was outside the surgical room and Dr. Betz came and said the surgery was successful. He said that he had used 11 mm Betzbone nails and the initial gap is 6 mm.

Post surgery
After surgery I was taken to a private room having a bed, a TV and a big window with lots of natural light. Most of the time I was asleep, I woke up at 1p.m. when Dr. Betz and Dr. Backer came to visit me. They helped me to get out of my bed and helped me to walk a few steps. It was tough, but manageable. The pain was not so strong, maybe 3 / 10. After that for the entire day I slept and in the evening I had some light snacks, then I took my medication and again I went back to sleep. I had a good nights sleep, I did not wake up due to any pain.

Next day
I woke up at 7 am in the morning, the pain was still relatively low. I must say the pain is lesser than I anticipated, I hope it remains the same. For pissing, I was given a container to piss in. The breakfast and lunch on the second day was considerably better. Also the nurses are good, within just one click of a button, they come by and help. I also spend some time chitchatting with nurses to get rid of my boredom. Physiotherapist attended me at around 11 am and we did a few exercises and practiced walking on crutches. In the late afternoon, Dr. Betz and Daniela also visited me. Daniela helped me to get out of the bed and we did one more round of walking practice with crutches. The most difficult part is to get out of bed by yourself, it feels like my legs weigh 100 kg. But once out of bed I am able to walk with crutches. There is some pain on the right side of the leg above the knee when I try to put pressure on it while walking. Apart from this, so far everything seems to be going well.

I will not update this diary daily but once I have made some significant progress.

Glad you are doing well! Hope there will be no more severe pain indeed. I am looking forward to reading your next update :)

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2021, 05:51:10 PM »

Pain management in Betz's practice seems incredible. Really happy about your relatively pain-free experience. Congratulations, and good luck on the long journey ahead!
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »

5 days post-surgery

Things are going incredibly well. I am surprised at how our body copes with setbacks and I am amazed by the incredible healing power of our body! The pain is now almost non-existent. I am able to get out of bed on my own, I am able to sit/stand up on a chair/toilet seat on my own. My legs do not feel super heavy anymore. I had PT session to climb up and down the stairs, I am able to climb the stairs without any assistance, though the pace is very slow.
Regarding walk, I still need my crutches, my muscles tremble when I put more weight on it, as they lack the required power and flexibility. The speed of my walk is still slow, but I can see the gradual progress. Regarding flexibility, my quads are still stiff, but I am trying my best to stretch them. Regarding sleep, I am able to sleep 5-6 hours at night.
Dr. Betz and Daniela visit me every day. Every time Dr. Betz visits me, coincidentally I am in bed, and this made me a little embarrassed, since each time he tells me to walk and stretch more often. I am walking and stretching for 1 hour every 2 hours in a day.
I will start my clicking from Monday, I have heard it's painful and I am embracing myself for the pain. Let's see how it goes!
After my hospital stay, I have decided to stay at caretaker Elke's house till the end of June and will be continuing my physiotherapy with Peter Woll.

@DonBones:
Thanks for the wishes

@PerfectBody:
Yes, pain management seems to be incredible at Dr. Betz practice, I am happy about this aspect!

DonBones

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2021, 11:48:49 AM »

5 days post-surgery

Things are going incredibly well. I am surprised at how our body copes with setbacks and I am amazed by the incredible healing power of our body! The pain is now almost non-existent. I am able to get out of bed on my own, I am able to sit/stand up on a chair/toilet seat on my own. My legs do not feel super heavy anymore. I had PT session to climb up and down the stairs, I am able to climb the stairs without any assistant, though the pace is very slow.
Regarding walk, I still need my crutches, my muscles tremble when I put more weight on it, as they lack the required power and flexibility. The speed of my walk is still slow, but I can see the gradual progress. Regarding flexibility, my quads are still stiff, but I am trying my best to stretch them. Regarding sleep, I am able to sleep 5-6 hours at night.
Dr. Betz and Daniela visit me every day. Every time Dr. Betz visits me, coincidentally I am in bed, and this made me a little embarrassed, since each time he tells me to walk and stretch more often. I am walking and stretching for 1 hour every 2 hours in a day.
I will start my clicking from Monday, I have heard it's painful and I am embracing myself for the pain. Let's see how it goes!
After my hospital stay, I have decided to stay at caretaker Elke's house till the end of June and will be continuing my physiotherapy with Peter Woll.

@DonBones:
Thanks for the wishes

@PerfectBody:
Yes, pain management is incredible at Dr. Betz practice, I am happy about this aspect!

So glad to hear you are doing well! :) By the sounds of it you already sleep more than I do before I have even done the surgery.. Perhaps you are simply a very good healer. I am sincerely happy for you that you have a good start and I wish you a painless clicking.

I will be staying at Elke's too, by the way. By the looks of it I will be at Elke's even before I see Betz as I have to quarantine somewhere! If you can, please post a few pictures of her hotel. I would be interested to know if there are TVs that are suitable for my PS5.. ;)

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »

7 days post-surgery --- 0.63 cm lengthened

Big update: Clicking started!

Daniela as well as Dr. Betz came today at around 12.30 pm, I was anticipating their presence since I was going to start clicking from today. Daniela showed me the technique on how to click. I tried first with my right leg, and then I heard the first sounds of clicking! It was very easygoing and no pain at all! I tried clicking with the left, and the experience was the same. No pain, very easy to click. I was done with 6 clicks for both legs in about 10 minutes. I am very happy that the clicking has been such an awesome experience for me. My tip to clicking would be to warm up your muscles by walking and stretching before clicking. During clicking keep your legs relaxed and let your hands guide the leg into the clicking direction.

Also, I have intensified my walking and stretching. My muscles are now more flexible compared to a few days before. Though in the morning, when I get up, they are very stiff, I need to walk and stretch to loosen my muscles. Regarding food in the hospital, now I am getting bored of the lackluster food. I am craving to eat something different, something tastier. I have also made good contacts with other Dr. Betz patients at the hospital, we walk around and stretch together.

I will continue to increase the number of clicks each day, until I reach 20 clicks for a leg in a day, which amounts to 1.04 mm (1 click = 0.052mm)

Happy with the journey so far :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:41:53 PM by chasing_higher_dream »

TouchTheSkies

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 12:21:20 PM »

Daniela as well as Dr. Betz came today at around 12.30 pm, I was anticipating their presence since I was going to start clicking from today. Daniela showed me the technique on how to click. I tried first with my right leg, and then I heard the first sounds of clicking! It was very easygoing and no pain at all! I tried clicking with the left, and the experience was the same. No pain, very easy to click. I was done with 6 clicks for both legs in about 10 minutes. I am very happy that the clicking has been such an awesome experience for me. My tip to clicking would be to warm up your muscles by walking and stretching before clicking. During clicking keep your legs relaxed and let your hands guide the leg into the clicking direction.

Also, I have intensified my walking and stretching. My muscles are now more flexible compared to a few days before. Though in the morning, when I get up, they are very stiff, I need to walk and stretch to loosen my muscles. Regarding food in the hospital, now I am getting bored of the lackluster food in the hospital. I am craving to eat something different, something tastier. I have also made good contacts with other Dr. Betz patients at the hospital, we walk around and stretch together.

I will continue to increase the number of clicks each day, until I reach 20 clicks for a leg in a day, which amounts to 1.04 mm (1 click = 0.052mm)

That’s great to hear! Good luck on your distraction phase!!
Age - 19
Target - 6-8 cm internal
Waiting for Stryde return..

Bagga

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2021, 04:05:05 PM »

Did you take any medicine like painkiller or blood thin?

DonBones

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2021, 04:36:09 PM »

Also, I have intensified my walking and stretching. My muscles are now more flexible compared to a few days before. Though in the morning, when I get up, they are very stiff, I need to walk and stretch to loosen my muscles. Regarding food in the hospital, now I am getting bored of the lackluster food. I am craving to eat something different, something tastier. I have also made good contacts with other Dr. Betz patients at the hospital, we walk around and stretch together.

Fantastic news 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

RB

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 06:15:16 AM »

Great to hear mate! Seems your journey has been incredibly smooth so far. You will be at the end before you know it!
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2021, 11:25:16 PM »

Fantastic news. I screamed for 2 minutes straight after my first click. This is a good sign of great things to come!
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

maxheight35

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 05:17:01 AM »

Wow. This is extremely motivating & inspiring! What was your fitness like pre-surgery? Did you exercise daily with cardio, etc? or do you think the stretching several months in advance has helped you?

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2021, 09:57:14 AM »

@TouchTheSkies: Thanks for the good wishes.

@leoth2: Yes, Dr. Betz does prescribe blood thinners as well as pain killers. For the first 7 days, he prescribes Thrombosis injection and after that, he prescribes Xarelto tablets throughout the lengthening phase. Also, it seems that Xarelto is more effective and potent than Thrombosis injections.

@RB: Thanks mate.

@DonBones: Thanks, waiting to see updates from your surgery soon.

@SirStretchAlot: Thanks dude. I am sorry to hear that you had a painful clicking expereince. But just brace the pain and move forward keeping end goal in mind.

@LittleLA: Thanks. My fitness pre-surgery was pretty average. I had stopped gymming for almost 1 year due to Covid lockdown. But I in fact did stretching exercises for 1 hour/day for 2 months on an average before surgery. So, I do think stretching and having a good flexibility pre-surgery does help you.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 12:28:04 PM by chasing_higher_dream »

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2021, 10:30:05 AM »

13 days post-surgery --- 1.07 cm lengthened

Since the last update, things have been improving at a steady rate. I am now able to fully fold my knee and bring my leg to touch the butt while in sleeping position. Also, walking medium distances without break (around 1 km with crutches) is possible now.

Also, I have been discharged from the hospital. I have traveled to my home, instead of going to caretaker Elke's house. The reason being I did not get my extension at my job for vacations and also I believe I would be able to manage everything on my own. The return journey from the hospital to my home was intense since I was traveling alone with my rucksack and I did feel tiring at the end of the day.

Also, a very strange thing is happening to me: The skin on my face and my lips has become very very dry and is starting to peel. I need to moisturize like 5 times a day to avoid peeling. I wonder if I have any reactions to the medicaments or is it due to the change of weather. Do let me know if anyone knows about this...

The pain is still relatively low (around 1,2 out of 10). Also, now I am doing 20 clicks (1.04 mm) per day. It takes me around 30-40 minutes to do 20 clicks on both of my legs. The 1st click is a little bit uncomfortable, but post that the subsequent clicks are easy to do.

I am doing stretches at my home. Before surgery, I had set up my apartment with all the necessary types of equipment for stretching. I had bought a workout bicycle, wood wall bars (for deep stretching), foam rollers, a stretching band and a yoga mat. These items are definitely helping me now.
I have an appointment with a professional physiotherapist from 15th June and I am looking forward to it.

Here is the link to my X-rays at around 1 cm: https://imgur.com/a/qRRQMCz

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 12:35:20 PM by chasing_higher_dream »

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2021, 11:57:54 AM »

13 days post-surgery --- 1.07 cm lengthened

Since the last update, things have been improving at a steady rate. I am now able to fully fold my knee and bring my leg to touch the butt while in seating position. Also, walking medium distances without break (around 1 km with crutches) is possible now.

Also, I have been discharged from the hospital. I have traveled to my home, instead of going to caretaker Elke's house. The reason being I did not get my extension at my job for vacations and also I believe I would be able to manage everything on my own. The return journey from the hospital to my home was intense since I was traveling alone with my rucksack and I did feel tiring at the end of the day.

Also, a very strange thing is happening to me: My face on my skin and my lips have become very very dry and is starting to peel. I need to moisturize like 5 times a day to avoid peeling. I wonder if I have any reactions to the medicaments or is it due to the change of weather. Do let me know if anyone knows about this...

The pain is still relatively low (around 1,2 out of 10). Also, now I am doing 20 clicks (1.04 mm) per day. It takes me around 30-40 minutes to do 20 clicks on both of my legs. The 1st click is a little bit uncomfortable, but post that the subsequent clicks are easy to do.

I am doing stretches at my home. Before surgery, I had set up my apartment with all the necessary types of equipment for stretching. I had bought a workout bicycle, wood wall bars (for deep stretching), foam rollers, and a stretching band. These items are definitely helping me now.
I have an appointment with a professional physiotherapist from 15th June and I am looking forward to it.

Here is the link to my X-rays at around 1 cm: https://imgur.com/a/qRRQMCz

Bagga

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »

So you are located in Germany too?

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »

@leoth2: Yes

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2021, 12:44:10 PM »

23 days post-surgery --- 2.04 cm lengthened

Today I crossed the 2 cm mark. Every day I wake up exactly at 5 am, not because of alarm, but because of stiffness in my legs! I then walk and stretch to loosen up my legs. Stretching in fact makes my legs feel light and release the tension which is built up throughout the night.

I have now started to feel a little bit of tightness in my IT bands. To prevent/delay the onset of wide legs and duck ass, I am specifically focussing on IT bands and hip flexor muscles.
I have been doing physiotherapy with a professional physiotherapist for 60 minutes per day for 7 days a week. I am also stretching on my own 3 times in a day for 30 minutes per session. During this session, each stretch is held for 30 seconds to 1 minute with 3 repetitions.
Going to the physiotherapist is my highlight of the day since this is the only time I get out of my apartment. Her office resides around 1 km away from my apartment and is located on the 5th floor (without an elevator), so this is a good exercise for me to reach to her physio-practice with my crutches and practice my walking gait.
Also, my physiotherapist is in sync with Peter Woll. He has been kind enough to share his experience and answer any doubts of my physiotherapist so that she can leverage Peter's experience to treat me. I am too in contact with Peter via video call whenever necessary. In our last video call by looking at my walking gait, Peter did say that my right IT band looks tighter than my left and has advised me to intensify IT band stretches and to walk with proper form every 1 hour.

Talking about the negative, my left leg has been giving problems with clicking, it has become stiff, so it's harder for me to pull my leg with the required force in the clicking direction. Luckily my physiotherapist is helping me to click on my left leg! The pain due to clicking is the same, almost non-existent.
Currently, I am lengthening at a rate of 1.04 mm per day. Some of the days, I reduce it to 0.78 mm per day, when I feel tightness building up. This reduction definitely helps to loosen up the stiffness.

The overall pain is generally low, maybe 1-2 out of 10. But if I stay sedentary for long periods of time, my legs start to get stiff and uncomfortable. I am still taking the prescribed pain killers, just to be on the safer side.

It seems like the time is going on very much slow for me. There is still a long road ahead, I wish if I had a time-skip-machine, where I could directly be teleported to the end of the lengthening phase  ;D

Also, in the next message, I have attached the video of my walking gait.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 03:01:21 PM by chasing_higher_dream »

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »

Here is a video of my walking gait at 2 cm of lengthening: https://imgur.com/a/9G7OEin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 03:46:41 PM by chasing_higher_dream »

Johnp86

• Visitor
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2021, 04:21:46 PM »

Walk looks good indeed! And your legs look athletic! Very inspiring

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2021, 03:57:25 AM »

@ DonBones: Thanks, I am trying to walk my best in the video.

@ Johnp86: Thanks. But I must say I am not that athletic as a person.

FSchez

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »

Here is a video of my walking gait at 2 cm of lengthening: https://imgur.com/a/9G7OEin
Hello mate!
I'm glad you can walk so well right now. Keep stretching as you are doing and do not stop walking as long as your legs allow you ...
I lost a lot of muscle mass for fear of walking too far and overloading my legs or straining the rods when I was in the second half of the distraction process. I think that was the reason why I lost so much muscle in my legs ... I concentrated a lot on working on flexibility and was not constant working on maintaining strength ...
Afterwards, it is a great effort to recover the muscles of your legs and buttocks ...
Good luck!
You are doing very well😉

justme11

• Visitor
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2021, 07:34:13 PM »

Simply amazing!

Following your journey so far makes me feel less scared of the process. Still contemplating if to do it or not considering the immense pain I've read in others journal.

RB

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2021, 05:47:18 AM »

Wow walk looks very good. Keep it up!
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

cam007

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »

wow you walk pretty good for a person who had a surgery. i guess your pre operation preparations really helped alot
175cm , goal 181cm

** est.2022 for 5-6cm tibias preferably
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up