Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur lengthening with Dr. Betz - 2021  (Read 13440 times)

slender

• Visitor
Re: Femur lengthening with Dr. Betz - 2021
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »

@slender
Doctors only really encourage rapid lengthening for patients on non-weightbearing nails, because they're wasting muscle everyday. Another reason as with Betz, is so that patients don't get lazy with PT. Your bones consolidate at an average rate of 0.25mm per day, and Giotikas recommends 0.5mm lengthening if returning home. Preconsolidation is rare and only applies for individuals with rapid bone healing. People usually take months to consolidate after lengthening, so it is almost a non-issue for most people. But as you said, we can apply more force on mechanical nails, so hardening callus is less of a problem.

@SirStretchAlot: Ah I see! Maybe the information I got in my consultations was a bit skewed due to my age. Thanks for the clarification!

@chasing_higher_dream: you're gonna hit your goal in no time! keep it up!
Betz 2022

lucindaris

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2021, 01:51:30 AM »

Hi, sorry for asking probably again. How much did you pary for surgery, nail and other costs to have approx. number for this surgery?

chasing_higher_dream

• Life is what you make it
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2021, 07:07:32 PM »

Hi, sorry for asking probably again. How much did you pary for surgery, nail and other costs to have approx. number for this surgery?

These are the rough estimates:

Consultation: € 500
Surgery + 14 day hospital stay + food + PT during hospitalization + crutches: € 54,000
Medications for 3 months: € 600
Nail removal surgery after 1 to 2 years: € 6700
Femurs with Dr. Betz - May 2021
Height (night):  170 cm --> 178 cm
Wingspan: 174 cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66215.0

DonBones

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »

@DonBones: Thanks for the good wishes. I am glad to hear this :)
How are you doing? I guess you had your surgery scheduled by end of June/July.

@RB: Thanks, mate.

@ SirStretchAlot: I am glad to know that you have managed to narrow your wide legs too! Yes you are right - the form, intensity, and duration of the stretch are also important.

Sorry for the late reply. Things are going quite well and I have today reached 2cm.

Thankfully, the clicking has been straightforward so far. Things get a bit tight between click 15 and 20, but it's not the calamity I thought it would be. The same is true for the other six patients who were in the hospital with me btw, all of them clicked well.

Of course, there is some tightness and sleeping is more difficult, but all of this was expected. I do not want to complain and simply have to power through. My goal is 5cm - hopefully I can make it alright :)

Good luck for the final few centimetres!
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »

Sorry for the late reply. Things are going quite well and I have today reached 2cm.

Thankfully, the clicking has been straightforward so far. Things get a bit tight between click 15 and 20, but it's not the calamity I thought it would be. The same is true for the other six patients who were in the hospital with me btw, all of them clicked well.

Of course, there is some tightness and sleeping is more difficult, but all of this was expected. I do not want to complain and simply have to power through. My goal is 5cm - hopefully I can make it alright :)

No pain clicking and 5cm goal? Betz was made for you ;)
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2021, 10:38:30 AM »

Good to know you are doing well. Since you are lengthening conservatively (5 cm) you will be back to normal faster than me :)

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »

90 days post-surgery --- 7 cm lengthened

Video of my walk at 7 cm: https://imgur.com/a/8Sc8qDp

Function
The function is still good. The tightness of the hip flexor muscle is now under control, I have regained the range of motion while stretching. Still, no wide legs or duckass. The problem mentioned previously of my sideways pelvis tilt is still present, I am working to fix this, but it seems that this will take a longer time. Overall I am happy with the state I am in currently.

Clicking
I am still clicking at 15 clicks per day (0.78 mm) since my body seems to have adapted to this muscle tightness and I feel I can still proceed with this rate without any complications.

Pain
Overall pain is still low. The ankle pain in the front side of the right leg stated previously has reduced substantially due to maintaining proper posture.

Sleep
Sleep quality has remained the same, neither good nor bad. I wake up once a night due to uneasiness caused by stretched muscles. Overall I sleep around 5-6 hours at night.

Misc
Overall, I feel good being 177 cm tall. I am liking the way I see in the mirror, especially when dressed, the longer legs seem to be quite attractive. Few days before I was in a shopping mall and I was not on the shorter side anymore, I was towering over a bunch of men (of course not all of them). It felt good and was a boost to my confidence and self-esteem.

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2021, 08:31:57 PM »

You are the model LL patient. 13 more days to go!

slender

• Visitor
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2021, 12:58:59 AM »

@chasing_higher_dream: you are a LEGEND fam. 7cm and it just looks like you went a little too hard on leg day. How has your strength been throughout these last few months? Obviously you haven't really had any flexibility issues which is insane, but how has regaining your strength been coming along? Do you feel pretty normal/strong while walking? What about during everyday movements and activities? You're an inspiration man, thanks again for the detailed diary.
Betz 2022

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »

@ SirStretchAlot: Thanks :) Yes, just a few more days to go.

@ slender: Thanks. My strength is pretty good, I do not feel weakness of any kind while doing normal daily activities and walking short distances. But when I walk for 1 km or more, my muscles start to fatigue and I feel tired quicker. Though this is expected since all of my leg muscles have atrophied and it will take time to rebuild the strength and endurance which have lost due to surgery and lengthening process. Currently, I do a couple of exercises (mainly planks and body weight squats) to regain strength of my leg muscles, but I do not push myself too much. I will start the dedicated process to regain the strength of muscles post I finish my lengthening process.

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2021, 11:31:14 AM »

104 days post-surgery --- 8 cm lengthened

Video of my walk at 8 cm (with crutches): https://imgur.com/a/XjmQLy7
Video of my walk at 8 cm (without crutches): https://imgur.com/a/7TyJgXq

Function
The function is still very good. Nothing to complain about this side. No wide legs, nor any duck ass yet. The range of motion of all of my muscles is close to 100%. The previous problem mentioned of sideways pelvis tilt has also been being corrected by 50%, though I am still working on it.  Overall I am happy with the state I am in currently.

Clicking
I was clicking at 15 clicks per day (0.78 mm) till 7.8 cm. Post that due to increased tightness, I have reduced the clicks to 10 clicks per day (0.52 mm).

Pain
Overall I do not feel pain anymore. Neither muscle pain nor nerve-related pains. Though I am still consuming all the medications including painkillers.

Sleep
Sleep quality has improved due to decreasing the number of clicks per day. Overall I sleep around 6 hours at night.

Misc
I was in the office party and was around a lot of people and my height neurosis did not trigger this time. I was not comparing my height to other people. This has been a relief since I am now able to live in the moment and enjoy it, rather than thinking about my height all the time.
I have also bought a Stadiometer to measure myself accurately and I am happy that I measure exactly 178 cm in the evening/night and have finally reached my goal height. My function is still perfect and the way I look - with and without clothes on while standing and also when I sit, I do not feel disproportionate (maybe this is due to my higher tibia to femur ratio when I started), hence, I have decided to continue the lengthening process past my goal and I will monitor myself continuously, the next target is 9 cm.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 02:26:55 PM by chasing_higher_dream »

Antonio111111

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2021, 02:26:14 PM »

Wow man congrats, how did u not get any wide legs and duck ass? How did u prevent it?

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »

Congrats!  Anyone af the office party notice the new height?  Any comments about the new height? 
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2021, 09:20:51 AM »

Man, you must've stretched like a champ to be in this state at 8cm. This goes to show what's possible with enough hard work. My duckass and wide legs are ugly by comparison.  :-\

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2021, 09:23:20 PM »

@SirStretchAlot: Thanks a lot. I appreciate your support :) Your condition will also improve drastically once you are in your consolidation phase.

@Antonio111111: The only way to avoid complications is religiously stretch for at least 2 hours a day, 3 hours would be even better, spanned out in 3 equal intervals throughout the day. Also, try to maintain each stretch at least 30 seconds minimum for it to work. I did all of my stretches which were stated by physiotherapist Peter Woll. Also, I would highly recommend setting up "wall bars" in your home, they allow you to stretch more deeply, they are god sent for stretching.

@L8GrowthSpurt: I have been consistently going once a day per week to the office, hence my team has gradually seen me grow, it was not all of a sudden. Hence, there was no big shock from my team. But the other office colleagues whom I met after a long time were in a state of shock.

Colleague 1: One of my colleagues came to meet me at the party, I was sitting on a chair enjoying the drink. But then I stood up to greet him and I could see the state of disbelief and shock he had in his eyes. He was not able to see me eye to eye for some reason. He is 5'10'' and now I was at the same height as him. He ended the conversation quite abruptly and was checking me out every now and then.

Colleague 2 and 3: The other two colleagues (both around 6 feet) could not pinpoint what was changed in me, they were saying that I have lost weight at the same time I was looking big for some reason. They did not say directly that my height has increased.

Colleague 4: One of my colleagues (he is 5'7'') immediately noticed the increased height and he pointed it out to me. He asked whether I was wearing height-increasing shoes, I just nodded and said yes, since I did not want to discuss this topic.

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »

End of lengthening phase --- 107 days post-surgery --- 8.1 cm lengthened

I have dropped the plan to go till 9cm. I would be stopping at 8.1 cm, there are numerous reasons for this:

1. First and foremost, my height neurosis seems to have gone. I do not compare my height in public with strangers anymore. This is a big relief for me.

2. I am happy with the way I look in the mirror and I am also happy with my current proportions. My femurs look long but they seem very normal and natural. I have a gut feeling that if I lengthen more this may not be the case anymore.

3. My starting tibia to femur ratio was 86%. After lengthening 8.1 cm, my t/f ratio is 72.8%. I do not want to lower this ratio any further, since the normal range lies around 77% to 83%.
Note: A person who has an initial t/f ratio of 80% and if he lengthens just 5 cm, then his new t/f ratio would be 72.7% (which is lower than that of mine even after lengthening 8.1 cm). So the higher the t/f ratio at the start, the more liberty you have to lengthen your femurs without looking abnormal.

4. I had a talk with physiotherapist Peter Woll and his opinion was the more you go past the 8 cm mark, the exponential the recovery time gets. Since right now I have no complications and perfect function, I would like to retain this and end my lengthening with a good note.

Lastly, this has been one hell of a ride. You need patience and sincerity to follow along with the strict regime of your stretches. If you are able to stick to the schedule and process, then you will fair very good till the end. I am thankful to Dr. Betz and his team and physiotherapist Peter Woll for the guidance. So far, I am satisfied with the journey and I am looking forward to the consolidation and my recovery.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:24:36 AM by chasing_higher_dream »

DonBones

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2021, 10:39:34 AM »

End of lengthening phase --- 107 days post-surgery --- 8.1 cm lengthened

I have dropped the plan to go till 9cm. I would be stopping at 8.1 cm, there are numerous reasons for this:

1. First and foremost, my height neurosis seems to have gone. I do not compare my height in public with strangers anymore. This is a big relief for me.

2. I am happy with the way I look in the mirror and I am also happy with my current proportions. My femurs look long but they seem very normal and natural. I have a gut feeling that if I lengthen more this may not be the case anymore.

3. My starting tibia to femur ratio was 86%. After lengthening 8.1 cm, my t/f ratio is 72.8%. I do not want to lower this ratio any further, since the normal range lies around 77% to 83%.
Note: A person who has an initial t/f ratio of 80% and if he lengthens just 5 cm, then his new t/f ratio would be 72.7% (which is lower than that of mine even after lengthening 8.1 cm). So the higher the t/f ratio at the start, the more liberty you have to lengthen your femurs without looking abnormal.

4. I had a talk with physiotherapist Peter Woll and his opinion was the more you go past the 8 cm mark, the exponential the recovery time gets. Since right now I have no complications and perfect function, I would like to retain this and end my lengthening with a good note.

Lastly, this has been one hell of a ride. You need patience and sincerity to follow along with the strict regime of your stretches. If you are able to stick to the schedule and process, then you will fair very good till the end. I am thankful to Dr. Betz and his team and physiotherapist Peter Woll for the guidance. So far, I am satisfied with the journey and I am looking forward to the consolidation and my recovery.

Well done, mate. I am very supportive of your thinking and completely agree on the proportions. In my opinion it would be a bad idea to lengthen 9 or even 10 and fall even further below 73% t/f wise. I know that Peter Woll is also an advocate of conservative lengthening, putting function & health over excessive lengthening, and he's an absolute expert.

In any case, 8cm is huge and I congratulate you :)

First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2021, 08:10:02 PM »

@Donbones: Thanks for the well-wishes. I just saw your recent post that you reached 4.2 cm, you are also almost there :)

Zatoichi

• Visitor
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2021, 05:15:42 AM »

Fantastic news and an amazing achievement! Well done.

More than 8 cm is a huge change and the fact that you have had no problems up to this point is a miracle.

The perfect process and outcome!

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2021, 11:28:50 AM »

8.1cm is fantastic, considering you have near full function!

I considered stopping at 9cm, but now that I'm 3 days from 10cm, I think I'll carry on.

Congrats!

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »

Finally, I have gotten my X-rays and it seems like callous has been forming well. Now, it's just time to relax and enjoy the new height which is the sweet outcome of the intense labor of the past 3 to 4 months.

Pictures of my X-rays at 8.1 cm: https://imgur.com/a/NfEAd9v

@Zatoichi: Thanks, man :) Even though the process is tough, it's definitely rewarding.

@SirStretchAlot: Thanks, mate. You too would be finished with lengthening in few days. Let's celebrate and enjoy the new height :)

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2021, 06:11:52 AM »

You absolute LEGEND!!!!

Congratulations on the success.

You went on a hero's journey and came back with a new superpower!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

eric.cartman

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »

Finally, I have gotten my X-rays and it seems like callous has been forming well. Now, it's just time to relax and enjoy the new height which is the sweet outcome of the intense labor of the past 3 to 4 months.

@Zatoichi: Thanks, man :) Even though the process is tough, it's definitely rewarding.

@SirStretchAlot: Thanks, mate. You too would be finished with lengthening in few days. Let's celebrate and enjoy the new height :)
Congrats, well done! 8.1 cm is a great accomplishment!

chasing_higher_dream

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2021, 08:11:56 PM »

@ flubbersnubber: Thank you. Your comment is flattering to me ;)

@ eric.cartman: Thanks, Eric. Also, all the best for the preparations for your surgery which is in near future :)

GreenAvocado

• Visitor
  • To conquer the world, I must first conquer myself.
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2023, 06:06:54 AM »

Just read through your journal and your consistency throughout the process is admirable! I have a consultation with Becker/Betz this March 2023 to go for 8cm in my femurs. Starting to stretch consistently now as I get closer to procedure.
  • How is your recovery going?
  • Plans to remove nail?
  • What exercise bike / wood bar would you recommend?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 07:26:39 AM by GreenAvocado »
Current Height: 172cm (~5’8”)
Goal Height: 180cm (~5'11')
Wingspan: 178cm
Femurs with Dr. Becker: 5/10/2023

12cmtaller

• Visitor
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »

Hi, are your still there? May I ask you a few questions.
1. How to contact the physiotherapist Peter? How much does he cost for the consultations in total?
2. Does Betz provide this kind of service in his institute in addition to the physical therapy after the operation? And can any licensed physiotherapist can do the physical therapy with the guide from Peter and Betz?
3. How long after the surgery did you stop doing the physical therapy?
Really appreciated if you can answer these questions.

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2023, 04:02:04 PM »

If you have recent imaging data please put it at this thread. Redact any information that could be used to dox you.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up