Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precice 2.2 Recovery Time  (Read 3964 times)

ryand2021

Precice 2.2 Recovery Time
« on: February 19, 2021, 09:04:40 AM »

Since Sdryde is no longer available, I am considering doing Precice 2.2. I understand that Precice 2.2 does not have a good weight bearing capability and will need longer recovery time. So my questions are:

For Femur only 8cm:

1. Do I need to be on wheelchair at all times during lengthening period? Is there any way to speed up the recovery?
2. After lengthening period, when can I start to walk again without any assistance?
3. If I do the surgery in March, is it possible to resume back to normal walking activities by August? I strongly prefer get this over with by the end of the pandemic so I can return back to the society this summer / fall.
4. Can I do non-leg-related sports during lengthening period? (upper body gym workout, etc.)

Male, 20s, 150lbs, no preexisting conditions, assume no complications.
LL: March 2021; Femur Precice 2 with Paley
Before: 170cm; After: 178cm.

V21

Re: Precice 2.2 Recovery Time
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »

I'm in the same boat as you, but I will only do 5 cm. You can't walk until there's enought consolidation. In the meantime, wheelchair for the street, walker at home for short distances.

ryand2021

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »

If I start the surgery in March, the lengthening period should end by June. If my company asks me to travel again in August & September, do you think I will have ample time to consolidate and resume walking? Probably will do tons of recovery workout and eat lots of food to speed it up.

In addition, as a 150lbs male, if I have the chance to get the largest nail (12.5, fatigue load is 146 lbs), I should be able to "barely walk" immediately after the lengthening period?

V21

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »

I don't think you should count on being able to walk freely there, it may take more. Regarding the big nail, Giotikas said that it may allow you to walk a bit at home, but wheelchair anyway for long distances.

RB

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:29:29 PM »

You may be able to walk without WB restrictions by August but your walk will be far from normal (penguin walk) and you may still want to use crutches at that point. Unfortunately Precise recovery seems to be vastly different and longer than Stryde (and even other WB nails).
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Arcon

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »

If I start the surgery in March, the lengthening period should end by June. If my company asks me to travel again in August & September, do you think I will have ample time to consolidate and resume walking? Probably will do tons of recovery workout and eat lots of food to speed it up.

In addition, as a 150lbs male, if I have the chance to get the largest nail (12.5, fatigue load is 146 lbs), I should be able to "barely walk" immediately after the lengthening period?
I think that if all goes well you will be walking pretty normally in late August.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »

Treat anything non weightbearing as a 3-4 month delay from stryde. Probably late September/October is when you'll start to penguin walk instead of cripple walk. Also depends what's the exact dates. And remember most people have to slow down lengthening, so your June end date may go into July.

All in all, I don't think it's reasonable that you will start traveling in August. You may be able to walk freely, but at a turtle pace slower than grandma with hip replacement surgery
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

InFullStryde

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:44:38 PM »

I believe based on other diaries that you will be mostly non-weight bearing until month 4, with exception to some very light steps on walker and you must be very careful to not break nail. Walking recovery will be month 5 and 6.  Walking somewhat well by end of month 6/7. Big difference from Stryde, unfortunately.  I hope they get those Stryde nails back to the community ASAP!
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

ryand2021

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 06:44:52 AM »

Well I called them and they said that young people tend to recover much faster than average and I have a "good chance" for fast recovery as long as I keep up the PT exercises......lots of conflicting information.

HeightGain

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »

There are diaries on here of people walking 1 - 2 months after stopping lengthening.

Going-For-Three

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 07:30:25 PM »

Well I called them and they said that young people tend to recover much faster than average and I have a "good chance" for fast recovery as long as I keep up the PT exercises......lots of conflicting information.
Who did you call Ryan? I am in a similar boat: I wanted to do Stryde but the BS recall negates that plan. Now I want to try to do Precice2.2 and try to walk (with assistance) in the early Fall for school. I am fine walking very slowly or even using crutches but would prefer not to be in a wheelchair or using a walker.

Arctic

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 10:56:46 PM »

Also curious about this and in the same position. If surgery happens in March/April, as a thin, young patient, how long should we expect until we're walking normally? My doctor didn't make any mention of a wheelchair, said I would be using a walker for the first 3 months.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 11:05:57 PM »

Also curious about this and in the same position. If surgery happens in March/April, as a thin, young patient, how long should we expect until we're walking normally? My doctor didn't make any mention of a wheelchair, said I would be using a walker for the first 3 months.

About 7 months +
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

ryand2021

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 12:32:40 AM »

Chatted with Paley and his staff. If everything goes well, I should be able to walk close to normally by August. However, it largely depends on exercises and physical therapy. Lack of exercises and stretching will significantly delay the process of healing.

las vegas baby

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 06:31:29 AM »

Paley always gives an optimistic picture. Ask him about stryde he will say it will be out soon. Ask him about precice he will say it's already available and you wiil be back walking by august.

The limiting factor for starting walking is bone consolidation. Lack of exercises and strething will hardly change when your bones will heal with precice.

ryand2021

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 07:23:07 AM »

My guess is that with Precice 2 people tend to do less moving exercises because it's not weight bearing ---> soft tissues normalize must slower -----> still can't walk even after bones are consolidated -----> can't walk normally until soft tissues are back. I was also told that soft tissues are the ones typically cause trouble during the healing process. I'm not sure the differences between Precice 2 and Stryde in terms of bone healing speed, as I haven't seen any research article with direct comparison statistical analysis about it.

I'm quite optimistic that given my young and athletics background the bone itself will be done by the end of August (I'm actually worried more about pre-consolidation as I learned that speeding up lengthening may not be possible because soft tissues can't catch up, but without speeding up the bone will consolidate early ---> lengthening must stop early). However the soft tissues may recover much slower which will prevent me from walking normally even in October, after the bone consolidates.

Siegfried

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »

Paley always gives an optimistic picture. Ask him about stryde he will say it will be out soon. Ask him about precice he will say it's already available and you wiil be back walking by august.

The limiting factor for starting walking is bone consolidation. Lack of exercises and strething will hardly change when your bones will heal with precice.

Has paley made a statement about when stryde will be back?
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

Jamesy998

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »

There are diaries on here of people walking 1 - 2 months after stopping lengthening.

LON patients here all have fast recovery times. 2 Months post frame removal walking normally.
LON method | Dr. Halil Buldu | 2021
Diary | http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66007.0

ryand2021

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 04:20:19 AM »

Time to provide a quick update here -

I successfully completed the process a few months ago and gained 8 cm. Now I can comfortably hike 2 miles at a time. Daily life routines are back to normal, except for sports.

Deletedaccount_67574

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 05:57:42 AM »

Any before after photos or videos?

Siegfried

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 08:08:58 AM »

How long did the bone take to consolidate from surgery date to full weight bearing capability?
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

ryand2021

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 10:20:04 PM »

How long did the bone take to consolidate from surgery date to full weight bearing capability?

Lengthening is standard 1mm per day so it takes around 87 days post surgery to complete lengthening (no lengthening first week). You will walk with a walker during this phase.

I was able to walk with a cane 5 weeks into the consolidation period and walk independently 13 weeks into the consolidation period. There is a transitional period in which you're cleared to walk with one cane but not cleared to walk independently. This happens when one femur heals faster than the other.

AimHigh

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 10:38:36 PM »

in my experience 1 mm per day for 80 days was far from realistic, maybe ok for first two weeks, until the tension got so bad i couldn't sleep or concentrate then dropped to .75 mm until again no longer tolerable etc, eventually ended up and around .33 mm per day (sometimes .25 mm) for last 2 weeks ! - my average over 8cm femoral lengthening was .66 mm (i.e 80/.66+7) = 128 days total.
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

ryand2021

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 10:46:42 PM »

in my experience 1 mm per day for 80 days was far from realistic, maybe ok for first two weeks, until the tension got so bad i couldn't sleep or concentrate then dropped to .75 mm until again no longer tolerable etc, eventually ended up and around .33 mm per day (sometimes .25 mm) for last 2 weeks ! - my average over 8cm femoral lengthening was .66 mm (i.e 80/.66+7) = 128 days total.

I routinely had daily yoga & stretching before surgery so that provided additional flexibility which allowed me to keep 1mm per day throughout 80 days. I actually never slowed down but that's just individual experience.

Megatron

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 11:59:07 PM »

Lengthening is standard 1mm per day so it takes around 87 days post surgery to complete lengthening (no lengthening first week). You will walk with a walker during this phase.

I was able to walk with a cane 5 weeks into the consolidation period and walk independently 13 weeks into the consolidation period. There is a transitional period in which you're cleared to walk with one cane but not cleared to walk independently. This happens when one femur heals faster than the other.

Hey, glad you got this done and reached 8cm. Wanted to ask now that you got this done what would you tell future patients undergoing cll for precise 2.2 to expect when they can walk normal again without any trace of injury/surgery based on realistic standards on average since very case is different?

AimHigh

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2021, 04:07:35 AM »

yeah, i thought i was flexible (could reach -21cm sit/reach test) lol, but maybe being 52 YO was my issue?
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2
Pages: [1]   Go Up