Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big is the initial osteotomy?  (Read 966 times)

RealLostSoul

How big is the initial osteotomy?
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:53:41 PM »

I heard that you can gain a little bit if extra height from the initial cut. I heard of someone if you do lets say 8cm lengthening you can end up being 8.5cm taller because the initial cut they did before you start lengthening is about half a cm big. Is this true?

Hagane

Re: How big is the initial osteotomy?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 07:44:04 AM »

I heard that you can gain a little bit if extra height from the initial cut. I heard of someone if you do lets say 8cm lengthening you can end up being 8.5cm taller because the initial cut they did before you start lengthening is about half a cm big. Is this true?
no
when they make the break they lengthen the nail by 0.1cm so you come out post op with a .1cm gap

what you may be thinking of is correction deformity
if someone has a knee valgus or varus deformity then the correction can give you the height you legs should be
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

RealLostSoul

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:26:54 PM »

no
when they make the break they lengthen the nail by 0.1cm so you come out post op with a .1cm gap

what you may be thinking of is correction deformity
if someone has a knee valgus or varus deformity then the correction can give you the height you legs should be

I did research before and it seems like Paley does a quarter-inch (~0.6cm) incision which would make more sense because if you wait one week until you start lengthening, the bone is perfectly aligned with the ideal 0.1cm gap, you know what I mean? Like in the first 6 days you don't lengthen but the bone catches up with the gap, if you'd do 0.1cm wouldn't it start to consolidate before you start lengthening?

But the question is if they already extend the nail a bit intraoperatively as you said.
If yes -> You don't have to lengthen as much because it already gave you a "kickstart".
If no -> You can possibly get 1/4 inch of "bonus height".

I hope that makes sense. I didn't mean a valgus but I know this is a possibility as well.

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 10:25:22 PM »

So Dr Betz will leave a 0.4mm to 0.7mm gap depending how much bone marrow was reamed to fit the nail. The reamed bone dust is then grafted onto the edge of the bone. It's your own bone so it will consolidate quickly. The bonus height is on average one week of lengthening, that you do get for "free."

However, as someone who's undering going lengthening now, goals are just goals. What you will achieve is really what your body allows. I initially gunned for 10cm+ in the femurs, but I'm ok with just 9 now, likely even less if the last centimeter proves difficult. I've slowed to 0.5mm a day after lengthening only 33mm. My stretching just cannot catch up with the my widening legs, and was beginning to immobolize me. We're all different biologically. Don't set the goal to high, or you'll just go through pain and depression trying to achieve it.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Worzezterlire

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 03:59:15 PM »

Dr Debiparshad did no gap, but then used the lengthening machine during the operation to extend both legs 1mm.  So after surgery I was immediately one millimeter taller.  I will have 79mm remaining.

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 04:47:06 PM »

1mm with buldu.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:26:06 PM by PerfectBody »
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 07:16:31 PM »

Your height gain is determined by x-rays.  The only time this matters is if you're going to the maximum length an internal nail can manage and want to get a little more.

The size will vary from doctor to doctor.

MrSoonToBeTaller

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 01:27:35 PM »

My x-rays looked like one mm, maybe two mm.  Hard to tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up