Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you guys short because of being premature babies?  (Read 962 times)

Astronomy

Are you guys short because of being premature babies?
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:25:45 AM »

Recentlyby accident I've heard from my families that in fact I'm an SGA ((premature baby of one kind who not only was born earlier than normal babies but also my build is far smaller)cuz during pregnancy duration my mother didn't eat and drink enough cuz of poverty,and I didn't take in adequate nutritions(cuz the only food I can take in is my mother's breast milk)before 2 y.o to catch up peers' weights and heights.The ending is that of course my height ended below 5 percentile of millenials' average height.
I've done some researchings and I come to conclusions that if an SGA can't take in enough nutritions before 2 y.o,then his or her matured height will stop far below peers' average height.But I did them in domestic websites cuz I can't handle English scientific researchings so there is no meanings I post those Chinese articles on this forum.
Do some of you guys inherit not bad genes and keep good living habits but still get short for no reason?I think that's maybe because u r SGAs like me.

overandover

Re: Are you guys short because of being premature babies?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:42:56 AM »

I was a normal baby but I got tuberculosis and jaundice in my growing years and had malnutrition as a result. I think it's all about nutrition.

Astronomy

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:17:50 AM »

I was a normal baby but I got tuberculosis and jaundice in my growing years and had malnutrition as a result. I think it's all about nutrition.
Diseases can also have bad impact on one's metaboly and health plays role in height growth.Even though in my preadolescence I love having meat(but few vegetables),I was maintaining thin.Looks like my digestion is bad for some reasons.

Bantem

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:52:24 PM »

Poor nutrition in my case, my other siblings are fine in the height department

Body Builder

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:33:20 PM »

Ι was born normally and completely healthy at about 4kg.

Astronomy

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 03:48:33 AM »

Poor nutrition in my case, my other siblings are fine in the height department
My elder cousin got worse luck in the height dapartment than mine.His father is 170cm+ and mother is around 160cm but he is only now near 170cm with fat build and his growth stopped.

precice strider

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 05:40:04 AM »

I was actually born late. I was between 7-8 lbs (3-3.6 kg) at birth.
Height dysphoria since 2008. (age 5)
Hoping to undergo STRYDE 8cm femurs when I can afford it.
164 cm with a wingspan of 166cm
Goal: 5'7.5 (172+) or taller, but hopefully 5'8 (173)
https://www.instagram.com/precice_strider/

Astronomy

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 08:01:16 AM »

I was actually born late. I was between 7-8 lbs (3-3.6 kg) at birth.
From birth to 2 y.o if your nutritional intake is enough then you can still grow to normal height.For special reasons I didn't take in enough nutritions.That's why I'm so so short.

Serilium

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »

I might've been SGA as well, I was always small, even since age 0 I was on average 2 years shorter than the typical kid my age. I actually end up catching up quite a bit after age 13 and 15 but still ended up 164cm, but I was like in the 1st percentile for majority of life. I do wonder if had I got more nutrients as a newborn or actually got HGH at age 0 (recommended treatment) to become normal baby size then I could end up at least 170cm

Serilium

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »

I can name some major types of adult shortness:

1) small baby in womb due to some medical issue (sga) so was stunted early on lack of nutrient in mommy stomach but otherwise had a normal growth

2) grow at a consistent rate, but GH deficiency so less growth in general

3) grow normally, was normal height, but earlier plate fusion so stopped growing at age 14

4) genetically short (parents are short and DNA)

i would like to blame 1), but for me it is probably 4), my parents are just short in general, but my brother is a solid 7cm taller than me and he never had SGA

Astronomy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »

I can name some major types of adult shortness:

1) small baby in womb due to some medical issue (sga) so was stunted early on lack of nutrient in mommy stomach but otherwise had a normal growth

2) grow at a consistent rate, but GH deficiency so less growth in general

3) grow normally, was normal height, but earlier plate fusion so stopped growing at age 14

4) genetically short (parents are short and DNA)

i would like to blame 1), but for me it is probably 4), my parents are just short in general, but my brother is a solid 7cm taller than me and he never had SGA
I am the first type too,which also means I was short since I was maturing in the womb.My mom said I was of the same size as my elder female cousin's(She is even skinny as a female).I think nowadays the major reasons why short people are so short are either their growths are stunted cuz of malnutrition(in modern society most cases of malnutrition result from bad digestion imo),medicines,diseases and so on or they are not normal babies.That is to say few short people are short simply cuz of bad genes.

Astronomy

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 08:32:58 AM »

I might've been SGA as well, I was always small, even since age 0 I was on average 2 years shorter than the typical kid my age. I actually end up catching up quite a bit after age 13 and 15 but still ended up 164cm, but I was like in the 1st percentile for majority of life. I do wonder if had I got more nutrients as a newborn or actually got HGH at age 0 (recommended treatment) to become normal baby size then I could end up at least 170cm
If your parents still remember,you can inquire them about whether you are a normal baby.I found that most short people don't put emphasis on their tot growths and healths.

Body Builder

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »

My elder cousin got worse luck in the height dapartment than mine.His father is 170cm+ and mother is around 160cm but he is only now near 170cm with fat build and his growth stopped.
He had good luck, not bad.
With that parents heights he is lucky to even be 1.70. tha normal would have been something about 1.67-8.

Body Builder

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »

I am the first type too,which also means I was short since I was maturing in the womb.My mom said I was of the same size as my elder female cousin's(She is even skinny as a female).I think nowadays the major reasons why short people are so short are either their growths are stunted cuz of malnutrition(in modern society most cases of malnutrition result from bad digestion imo),medicines,diseases and so on or they are not normal babies.That is to say few short people are short simply cuz of bad genes.
Wrong again. More than 90% of short people are short due to bad genes.
Everything else is nonsense from people like you who believe that your cousin is unfortunate to become 1.70 from 1.70 and 1.60 parents.

overandover

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »

Wrong again. More than 90% of short people are short due to bad genes.
Everything else is nonsense from people like you who believe that your cousin is unfortunate to become 1.70 from 1.70 and 1.60 parents.

Nutrition makes more difference than genes. Maybe it's different in the west because everyone has access to good food but in a 3rd world country like India where malnutrition and the child mortality rate is ridiculously high, it's mostly nutrition and not genes. Those who have access to good food are generally tall even if their parents are short.

Sibirskiy

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »

A lot of arguments and opinions here, but not a lot of scientific evidence (sorry, I dont mean offence by stating this fact).

Let me help with that: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27998884/

Adult height of preterm infants: a longitudinal cohort study

"There was no significant difference in the final height SD score (SDS) of children born at term (n=30) and those born prematurely and AGA (n=70)"

"Those born prematurely with an AGA achieve a comparable adult height to children born at term, however, catch-up growth continues for much longer than traditionally thought."

I'm sure many will beg to differ, in which case I implore you to bring some scientific evidence of equal/better value than this study for our collective knowledge and benefit.

Unless you think your opinion is worth more than scientific evidence.....
176 cm before
184 cm after
Diary (LATN Dec 2016-March 2017, 8.0cm) :  http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4403.0
Post CLL thoughts (Audio logs): http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4859.0

Astronomy

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »

A lot of arguments and opinions here, but not a lot of scientific evidence (sorry, I dont mean offence by stating this fact).

"There was no significant difference in the final height SD score (SDS) of children born at term (n=30) and those born prematurely and AGA (n=70)"

"Those born prematurely with an AGA achieve a comparable adult height to children born at term, however, catch-up growth continues for much longer than traditionally thought."

I'm sure many will beg to differ, in which case I implore you to bring some scientific evidence of equal/better value than this study for our collective knowledge and benefit.

I've known SGA and AGA wont have difference in adult heights but again,unless babies can have access to enough food,what Ive mentioned above in my post.But some of SGA are born earlier just cuz of malnutrition,which caused by lack of family finances or ingestions.If SGA can take in rich nutritions of course he or she can catch up other normal babies' heights.

Serilium

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 03:43:21 PM »

the human body is remarkable, catch up growth is quite a miraculous phenomenon. you can starve a kid for decades stunting them and malnourishing them to the point puberty doesnt even happen- then at age 19 finally feed them normal amounts of food and the kid will go through puberty and grow and catch-up almost completely, obviously this is an extreme example and is universally cases of abuse and neglect.. but im sure there is minor catch up growth for instances of SGA (that is true sga and not just genetically short kids)

Body Builder

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2021, 05:57:43 PM »

Nutrition makes more difference than genes. Maybe it's different in the west because everyone has access to good food but in a 3rd world country like India where malnutrition and the child mortality rate is ridiculously high, it's mostly nutrition and not genes. Those who have access to good food are generally tall even if their parents are short.
Nutrition makes more difference if a kid is starving. Literally not anyone here, who has even internet, is starving because people who don't have even food don't care about LL, they have much more important things to care.
So someone here telling that nutrition stunted his growth is a joke.

Bantem

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 06:25:28 AM »

Nutrition makes more difference if a kid is starving. Literally not anyone here, who has even internet, is starving because people who don't have even food don't care about LL, they have much more important things to care.
So someone here telling that nutrition stunted his growth is a joke.
A quick google search proves you completely wrong. Even my case, poor nutrition literally stunned my growth. My mom is 165cm and my dad is 179cm. My younger brother who is 19 is 182cm and my 14 year old sister is already 173cm, and taller then me I am only 168cm. In my case I was overweight as a kid and tall, the doctor told me I was at risk for diabetes and heart attacks this was when I was 10, because I was slightly overweight by about 10 pounds. Immediately after that I put myself on an extreme diet and lost almost 20 pounds in over a month and become underweight, and at that point the doctors thought I had cancer because of the rapid weight loss. Once all the tests came back and they determined I did not have cancer they told me to put on weight. Since I was a kid I was being stupid and I was scared of getting diabetes, since my parents have it, so I made sure to maintain my weight under 100 pounds I did this till I was 16 when I finally decided to put some weight. At 17 I was only 165cm same height I was at 14 and only 120 pounds, so I did not grow a single cm after 3 years. After I graduated from high school I started working out and putting on weight, I put on about 40 pounds between the age of 18-20 and I grew to 168cm. This proved to me that nutrition is very important, unfortunately I learned that too late. My younger siblings both are slightly overweight, going by BMI, and are both considered tall, opposite of me who was underweight and is now short. I asked my doctor about this, and he said nutrition was most likely the reasoning for my short height since nutrition is very important in early years. There was a study conducted in Japan where they saw height increase 3 inches, years after WW2 because people started eating more fish and getting more protein. If I was short due to genetics I probably would have came to terms with my height but the fact that I'm short due to my own and the doctor's stupidity, is literally eating me up.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:54:28 AM by SPhantom »

Astronomy

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 06:51:29 AM »

A quick google search proves you completely wrong. Even my case, poor nutrition literally stunned my growth. My mom is 165cm and my dad is 179cm. My younger brother who is 19 is 183cm and my 14 year old sister is already 172cm, and taller then me I am only 168cm. In my case I was overweight as a kid and tall, the doctor told me I was at risk for diabetes and heart attacks this was when I was 10, because I was slightly overweight by about 10 pounds. Immediately after that I put myself on an extreme diet and lost almost 20 pounds in over a month and become underweight, and at that point the doctors thought I had cancer because of the rapid weight loss. Once all the tests came back and they determined I did not have cancer they told me to put on weight. Since I was a kid I was being stupid and I was scared of getting diabetes, since my parents have it, so I made sure to maintain my weight under 100 pounds I did this till I was 16 when I finally decided to put some weight. At 17 I was only 165cm same height I was at 14 and only 120 pounds, so I did not grow a single cm after 3 years. After I graduated from high school I started working out and putting on weight, I put on about 40 pounds between the age of 18-20 and I grew to 168cm. This proved to me that nutrition is very important, unfortunately I learned that too late. My younger siblings both are slightly overweight, going by BMI, and are both considered tall, opposite of me who was underweight and is now short. I asked my doctor about this, and he said nutrition was most likely the reasoning for my short height since nutrition is very important in early years. There was a study conducted in Japan where they saw height increase 3 inches, years after WW2 because people started eating more fish and getting more protein. If I was short due to genetics I probably would have came to terms with my height but the fact that I'm short due to my own and the doctor's stupidity, is literally eating me up.
I dont think the patient who seeks for LL isnt malnutrition all along life so far.
Especially in developing countries,even some of millenials are suffering from poverty in poverty-struck areas.Or for some family or pathologic reasons,they cant take in adequate nutritions or grow up normally like others or else
For me,family fights and quarrels forced my mom and me to move away from a city to my hometown-a remote village.And then,all in all,my mom was a very typical example of malnutritional gravida,which led to my excessively early birth.And I cant take in enough food from birth to 2 y.o too.I could only drink breast milk and other food couldnt be available.So what I mean is not all youngsters experienced a good baby life and child life,either filled with malnutrition or diseases.
I also wanna blame some mean women who are always insulting short people.Let alone short men are feeling inferior to other tall and cute gentlemen all the time,they are short most due to involuntary reasons.I dunno why women are glad to do that.

overandover

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 08:36:57 AM »

The people coming middle-class families are taller compared to people coming from slums that's a fact.

Astronomy

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 10:29:15 AM »

the human body is remarkable, catch up growth is quite a miraculous phenomenon. you can starve a kid for decades stunting them and malnourishing them to the point puberty doesnt even happen- then at age 19 finally feed them normal amounts of food and the kid will go through puberty and grow and catch-up almost completely, obviously this is an extreme example and is universally cases of abuse and neglect.. but im sure there is minor catch up growth for instances of SGA (that is true sga and not just genetically short kids)
It's not difficult to catch up others' growths if achieving adequate nutritions and exercises.But not to blame..it really depends on parents' emphasis on children's heights.

Body Builder

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »

A quick google search proves you completely wrong. Even my case, poor nutrition literally stunned my growth. My mom is 165cm and my dad is 179cm. My younger brother who is 19 is 182cm and my 14 year old sister is already 173cm, and taller then me I am only 168cm. In my case I was overweight as a kid and tall, the doctor told me I was at risk for diabetes and heart attacks this was when I was 10, because I was slightly overweight by about 10 pounds. Immediately after that I put myself on an extreme diet and lost almost 20 pounds in over a month and become underweight, and at that point the doctors thought I had cancer because of the rapid weight loss. Once all the tests came back and they determined I did not have cancer they told me to put on weight. Since I was a kid I was being stupid and I was scared of getting diabetes, since my parents have it, so I made sure to maintain my weight under 100 pounds I did this till I was 16 when I finally decided to put some weight. At 17 I was only 165cm same height I was at 14 and only 120 pounds, so I did not grow a single cm after 3 years. After I graduated from high school I started working out and putting on weight, I put on about 40 pounds between the age of 18-20 and I grew to 168cm. This proved to me that nutrition is very important, unfortunately I learned that too late. My younger siblings both are slightly overweight, going by BMI, and are both considered tall, opposite of me who was underweight and is now short. I asked my doctor about this, and he said nutrition was most likely the reasoning for my short height since nutrition is very important in early years. There was a study conducted in Japan where they saw height increase 3 inches, years after WW2 because people started eating more fish and getting more protein. If I was short due to genetics I probably would have came to terms with my height but the fact that I'm short due to my own and the doctor's stupidity, is literally eating me up.
I was always a little overweight till my 17 where I started working out. I ended uo 1.685 at 15, I haven't got even 1 cm after that.
My best friend was completely skinny (and still is). He was the same at me till 15 and at 17 he became 1.80 and ended there.
I don't know what happened to you, because losing 10kg is not normal for any kid, but for the vast majority genes is the reason for our height.

Bantem

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »

I was always a little overweight till my 17 where I started working out. I ended uo 1.685 at 15, I haven't got even 1 cm after that.
My best friend was completely skinny (and still is). He was the same at me till 15 and at 17 he became 1.80 and ended there.
I don't know what happened to you, because losing 10kg is not normal for any kid, but for the vast majority genes is the reason for our height.
Are your parents short? My genetics for height were there since neither of my parents are short. When the doctors estimated my height based on current growth and family data he originally estimated that I would be around 178cm at 18, of course that didn't happen this was also back when I was overweight. When I was 14 and 165cm the new doctor I had said I probably wouldn't grow much more and he was right I only grew an additional 3cm. According to various sources  genetics makes up around 80% of our height but the rest comes from our environment, which includes nutrition.

Astronomy

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 03:16:27 PM »

Intrauterine Growth Retardation (IUGR) is defined as a rate of growth of a fetus that is less than normal for the growth potential of the fetus (for that particular gestational age). Small for Gestational Age (SGA) is defined infant born following IUGR, with a weight at birth below the 10th percentile.Suboptimal fetal growth occurring in IUGR fetuses is an important cause of perinatal mortality and morbidity. The acute neonatal consequences of IUGR include metabolic and hematological disturbances, and disrupted thermoregulation; in addition, respiratory distress (RDS), necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), and retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) may contribute to perinatal morbidity. Metabolic disturbances are related to glucose and fatty acid metabolism. It is well-known that individuals who display poor growth in utero are at significantly increased risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM), obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and insulin resistance (the so-called metabolic syndrome, MS). MS ultimately leads to the premature development of cardiovascular diseases. In addition, short stature in children and adults, premature adrenarche, and the polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) are endocrinological sequelae of IUGR. (8) Early onset growth delay and prematurity significantly increase the risk for neurological sequelae and motor and cognitive delay.Future prospective studies need to investigate risk factors for infants who are SGA. If reliable prediction can be achieved, there is potential to reduce future perinatal morbidity and mortality, and long term consequences among SGA babies.

Astronomy

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 03:21:08 PM »

No.My fault was that I attributed my short stature to wrong reason.Actually the reason why Im short is IUGR(intrautrine growth restriction)but not premature birth(Actually that's cuz IUGR led to P.B and I convinced myself that it was P.B that caused my short stature).
U can browse scientific articles I referred to in this thread.This article mentions IUGR will prolly cause short stature both in childhood and adulthood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up