Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specialized Tools Required for Nail Removal?  (Read 332 times)

marathonrunner

Specialized Tools Required for Nail Removal?
« on: April 02, 2021, 02:36:11 AM »

For anyone who has done nail removal or know's some technical details about it.

Do Stryde nails require special tools from Nuvasive to remove them? Or can most IM nail tools do the job of removing stryde nails from the tibia?

Sibirskiy

Re: Specialized Tools Required for Nail Removal?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 03:07:10 AM »

I have experienced a complicated nail removal surgery. My IM nails from Russia, nail removal in home country. Prior to nail removal, I asked my Russian Ortho for schematics for IM nail for my home country ortho. Problem is the schematics were in Russian. But somehow my home country ortho managed to remove the nail, though with some delays mid surgery due to some of the screws unexpectedly not being compatible with his tools.

So if its this complicated for a even a normal IM nail, I think stryde nails have specific tool requirements as well. But I am sure u can find the schematics for tools online.
176 cm before
184 cm after
Diary (LATN Dec 2016-March 2017, 8.0cm) :  http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4403.0
Post CLL thoughts (Audio logs): http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4859.0

azman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:46:51 AM »

For anyone who has done nail removal or know's some technical details about it.

Do Stryde nails require special tools from Nuvasive to remove them? Or can most IM nail tools do the job of removing stryde nails from the tibia?

Before going under in the OR, I recall hearing my surgeon asking the surgical technician if she have the Nuvasive removal kit.  So I believe there are specialized tools required for the Stryde nail removal.

marathonrunner

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 03:49:36 AM »

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I googled and found this:

https://www.nuvasive.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Precice-Stryde-ST-Tibia.pdf

Page 25 has nail removal procedures. I will check with the hospital if the tools listed is something they might have already.

If anyone else was able to remove nails at a different hospital other than their LL doctor do let me know.

It seems to me that nail removal should be quite simple, should be the same as any IM nail removal.

I just dont know if the tools required for Nuvasive is the same as let's say Johnson and Johnson or if the tools are similar enough that some workaround techniques can be used to remove Nuvasive nails.

marathonrunner

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:50:30 AM »

Before going under in the OR, I recall hearing my surgeon asking the surgical technician if she have the Nuvasive removal kit.  So I believe there are specialized tools required for the Stryde nail removal.

Ah... hmm ok. Covid just makes everything so difficult especially since the country I reside in didn't do my surgery. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up