Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for people who have undergone surgery after 30  (Read 959 times)

Nomad34

• Visitor
Questions for people who have undergone surgery after 30
« on: April 06, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »

Hi,

I am 35 years old and am considering LON surgery (because I can afford it now). I would like to ask people who are similar age how much they were able to recover, I mean physically. I guess that at this age it may take some time, but is it possible to come back to weight training and running after 1,5 - 2 years?

Another thing that puzzles me is what the first few weeks after surgery are actually like. How long will I have to use a wheelchair to move around the apartment? After how long will I be able to walk with a crutch? How long does it take to get back to work (a sedentary job)? I'm currently 172cm and would like to be at least 5cm taller. Is there any difference between 5cm and 6cm in terms of speed of recovery and possible complications? How often do I need to have a physical therapy session (not counting the daily one I will have to do myself)?

overandover

Re: Questions for people who have undergone surgery after 30
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »

Recovery is 1.5 to 2 months per centimeter. For most people it's 2 months.

Nomad34

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:24:38 PM »

2 months per cm to fully recover (able to play sports), or 2 months per cm to be able to walk?

Dionysus

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 12:40:29 PM »

I think 2 month per cm is to recover pre surgery bone density.Because walking takes around 2 month after distraction phase.

Nomad34

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:50:57 PM »

I think 2 month per cm is to recover pre surgery bone density.Because walking takes around 2 month after distraction phase.

So you can't walk for the entire time of distraction, which is, for example, 50 days?

RealLostSoul

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 01:37:16 PM »

So you can't walk for the entire time of distraction, which is, for example, 50 days?

depends on the nail. with precice it will take that + 2 months or so until you can start walking again.
Only Stryde, Betzbone, Guichetnail and externals are weightbearing.

fritz

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »

2 months per cm after initial surgery or after end of distraction phase?

Dionysus

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »

Yes.I am currently distracting with precise 2.2 and using walker.But I am not over 30 of course.I dont think it will make that much of difference though

California2

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 07:09:01 PM »

I think you must be very clear about what you are asking when you ask about "recovery".

If "recovery" means that point in time when I don't really feel ANY effects of surgery (other than being taller); then, you are talking years; not months.

If "recovery" means doing most of the things you did before surgery; then, that point comes far earlier.

My first surgery was in September 2018; my LATN surgery was in January 2019.  I was cleared for full weight-bearing in about July 2019.

Once I was cleared for full weight bearing, I soon could do most of the things I did before surgery.

Yet, I am still healing and continue to improve.  I only recently regained my entire pre-surgery muscle mass and strength (as measured by tape and by leg press).

I continue to stretch and work-out everyday.  My work-outs are little different than before surgery but I do much more stretching now.

I also continue to work on improving my balance and range of motion.

Because I am much older than you, I suspect my point of "complete recovery" will be eclipsed by normal degenerative changes of aging so it will be difficult to specifically determine where one ends and the other begins.  Time will tell.

The surgery is a big deal--it's not a boob job that you can easily monkey with later if you do not like the way things are after surgery.  True full recovery takes time.  Proportionally more time the more you lengthen; that is, the recovery curve is not linear.

You might want to read some of the diaries posted here to better understand potential abilities and limitations during the process.  Different processes (i.e., internal vs. external) lead to different abilities and limitations during the process. 

I did external with LATN and worked remotely the entire time--but you are not me.  Read the dairies to get an idea of the range of activities that others were able to perform; then, decide what is realistic for you.  Your surgeon will dictate your course of physical therapy.  (I did PT everyday on my own and 3X per week with a therapist.)

CM or inches is not the proper measure to assess distraction.  Instead, measure the length of the segments you want to lengthen.  10% is generally considered safe.  If your tibia is 40 cm; then, 4 cm lengthening is usually considered safe and affords a reasonably quick recovery.

If 4 cm is safe, this does not mean you could not do 8 cm if your body cooperates.  But you should expect your recovery to take 4X as long; not 2X as long.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:15:06 PM by California2 »

overandover

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 03:20:07 AM »

I think you must be very clear about what you are asking when you ask about "recovery".

If "recovery" means that point in time when I don't really feel ANY effects of surgery (other than being taller); then, you are talking years; not months.

If "recovery" means doing most of the things you did before surgery; then, that point comes far earlier.

My first surgery was in September 2018; my LATN surgery was in January 2019.  I was cleared for full weight-bearing in about July 2019.

Once I was cleared for full weight bearing, I soon could do most of the things I did before surgery.

Yet, I am still healing and continue to improve.  I only recently regained my entire pre-surgery muscle mass and strength (as measured by tape and by leg press).

I continue to stretch and work-out everyday.  My work-outs are little different than before surgery but I do much more stretching now.

I also continue to work on improving my balance and range of motion.

Because I am much older than you, I suspect my point of "complete recovery" will be eclipsed by normal degenerative changes of aging so it will be difficult to specifically determine where one ends and the other begins.  Time will tell.

The surgery is a big deal--it's not a boob job that you can easily monkey with later if you do not like the way things are after surgery.  True full recovery takes time.  Proportionally more time the more you lengthen; that is, the recovery curve is not linear.

You might want to read some of the diaries posted here to better understand potential abilities and limitations during the process.  Different processes (i.e., internal vs. external) lead to different abilities and limitations during the process. 

I did external with LATN and worked remotely the entire time--but you are not me.  Read the dairies to get an idea of the range of activities that others were able to perform; then, decide what is realistic for you.  Your surgeon will dictate your course of physical therapy.  (I did PT everyday on my own and 3X per week with a therapist.)

CM or inches is not the proper measure to assess distraction.  Instead, measure the length of the segments you want to lengthen.  10% is generally considered safe.  If your tibia is 40 cm; then, 4 cm lengthening is usually considered safe and affords a reasonably quick recovery.

If 4 cm is safe, this does not mean you could not do 8 cm if your body cooperates.  But you should expect your recovery to take 4X as long; not 2X as long.

How much did you lengthen? Took you long to be able to walk seems like you lengthen like 7.5 cm or something.

Nomad34

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 06:46:38 AM »

If "recovery" means doing most of the things you did before surgery; then, that point comes far earlier..

Sorry, but I still don't fully understand. Does this mean that I will be able to return to the gym after, say, two years, but I will feel the effects of the surgery longer?

Another question: How long does it take to get help from a physiotherapist? Is it enough, for example, for six months, and then you can do the exercises on your own and only have follow-up appointments once in a while? I am asking because it is an additional and not a small expense if we are talking about meetings 3 times a week.

Serilium

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 07:26:20 AM »

I read his diary and summarized his situation to save time.

California2 was a 56 years old man with double hip replacement, he did 9cm tibial lengthening, and had Achilles Tendon Lengthening.

Nomad34

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 02:47:09 PM »

Ok, but it still doesn't answer my questions ;)

marathonrunner

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 03:38:57 PM »

Hi,

I am 35 years old and am considering LON surgery (because I can afford it now). I would like to ask people who are similar age how much they were able to recover, I mean physically. I guess that at this age it may take some time, but is it possible to come back to weight training and running after 1,5 - 2 years?

For me I started upper body training around the 1 year mark. Lower body training around 1.5 years.

For me at least I’m not yet back to peak physical condition but then again I haven’t actually been running for that long yet. I can do squats and jumping onto boxes and all that but the heigh of my jump, the speed of my run, the distance is not yet back to where I was. And not sure yet how much more training I would need to get back to my original condition.

I still have nails in my tibia as well so I have a feeling once I get those out and heal everything up properly I should be doing better.

Another thing that puzzles me is what the first few weeks after surgery are actually like. How long will I have to use a wheelchair to move around the apartment?

For me at least I was stuck to a wheelchair for sometime because of the infection. But I was able to stand and walk assisted even with the infection, I think you would be able to too assuming it’s weightbearing. Prob give it a month tbh can’t really remember haha, it’s been a while. You can stand for sure, and use like one of those roller walker things to scoot around.

Oh just read you’re doing LON. I think that’s weight bearing. I had EF on my left leg while healing from the infection, was able to stand on both legs since both were weight bearing. But used a wheelchair to move around. I think I had LON? But it’s a bit circular thing around your tibia and it’s super annoying to sleep in, but yea for me can stand up but used a wheelchair to move around.

After how long will I be able to walk with a crutch?

Crutch.. hmm so after fixing the infection, I was doing crutches, even when my bone wasn’t even close to consolidating, you probably could too in 2 months? Sorry hard for me to estimate given the infection. But I imagine you could use crutches within a couple months.

How long does it take to get back to work (a sedentary job)?

Sedentary hmm, depends on how much focus you want to put on your legs. I think for most they will go back after consolidation or at least close to fully consolidated. Even if it’s sedentary. Because you still need to stretch and put weight on your legs to make your bones consolidate.

5-6cm right on LON. I would imagine you would need to move to an IM nail before you go back to work, so ask your doctor approx how long it’ll take to lengthen and when you could move to an Im nail. Probably give it a month at least after your IM nail surgery before heading back to work.

I'm currently 172cm and would like to be at least 5cm taller. Is there any difference between 5cm and 6cm in terms of speed of recovery and possible complications?

Dunno, it’s not like I did 5 cm in one leg and 6 in the other.

It’s expensive surgery, do the length you want. Don’t make your decision based on recovery time if you can avoid it.

I mean if recovery time is so important to you then fine, get estimates and see what fits your schedule. But if not.. then do the length you want. That’s most important.

At least from what I have seen, nah 1cm doesn’t make that big a difference. Do the length you want.

If you ask me between 5 and 8 then ok... I would say consult your docotor 8 is quite a lot for 1 segment in 1 go. But 5-6 meh. Choose what you like.

I ain’t a doctor, this is based off personal experience and from my interactions with other LL patients

How often do I need to have a physical therapy session (not counting the daily one I will have to do myself)?

Sorry I dunno, I spent too much money on too many surgeries, did all the physical therapy myself. Wasn’t gonna pay for it

If you don’t mind I’m going to answer directly in your quote. I did it when I was over 30 but I had complications so my experience probably isn’t going to be the same as yours

Serilium

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »

Ok, but it still doesn't answer my questions ;)

I wasn't responding to you

Nomad34

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 06:16:46 AM »

If you don’t mind I’m going to answer directly in your quote. I did it when I was over 30 but I had complications so my experience probably isn’t going to be the same as yours

Thanks for the reply. I read your story and didn't think that with the Stryde nail infection would be possible. I hope you have made a full recovery by now.

Jenksz

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 10:33:25 AM »

what complications and why did they happen?

redwedding

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 12:55:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I read your story and didn't think that with the Stryde nail infection would be possible. I hope you have made a full recovery by now.

dear Nomad34,

the Stryde nail  is like any other nail. It has no antibiotic properties and the deep bone infection possible with it like with any other nail. Any foreign object is a opportunity for the bacteria to grow. Once the bacteria grow you have to control it with the antibiotics and do the lengthening. After the lengthening you will need to change the nail and that is a separate surgery. It will be a very anxious experience for the patient.

regards,
sergio
If deep bone infection and the pulmonary embolism was not a risk I will do this operation tomorrow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up