Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering Limb Lengthening  (Read 584 times)

justsumguy

• Visitor
Considering Limb Lengthening
« on: May 02, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »

Hi all, just a 25 year old guy from Australia, 5 ' 4 " considering leg lengthening surgery. Was wondering if they do that Down Under or do I need to go overseas? If overseas, is India a good idea? Any names you recommend? Cheers all

Serilium

Re: Considering Limb Lengthening
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 01:41:18 PM »

Depends on how much money you have. What is your budget?

justsumguy

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 01:49:50 PM »

I'm in no rush at the moment, especially during the pandemic, so I have plenty to time to think about it and earn more money. Right now I'd say budget of approx. $30000 (US dollars).

Serilium

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 02:04:46 PM »

That budget can only afford the LON (external frame with pins through skin). External. Is that okay?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:50:38 PM by Serilium »

justsumguy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 02:11:00 PM »

As mentioned, I'm in no rush. My budget will likely increase over time, and would much rather focus on getting an option that is as risk-free as possible from a professional that is trustworthy and recognized, sometime in the future. Do you have any names I should consider? Thanks Serilium

Serilium

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 02:51:04 PM »

As mentioned, I'm in no rush. My budget will likely increase over time, and would much rather focus on getting an option that is as risk-free as possible from a professional that is trustworthy and recognized, sometime in the future. Do you have any names I should consider? Thanks Serilium

Do you want a rod with no outside pins, or pins?

justsumguy

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »

From my research so far external on the tibias sounds preferable, but of course this will depend on consultation with the professional.

Serilium

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »

And what is your timeframe? How many months are you willing to spend in frames. How many cm do you want?

justsumguy

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 03:24:10 PM »

Timeframe-wise, I would prefer if I could just be able to walk around and be independent within 6 months. My goal is simply to be less judged by my stature, so the maximum "safe" height increase is fine for me (which I understand is 5cm?). Cheers

Serilium

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 04:27:07 PM »

Timeframe-wise, I would prefer if I could just be able to walk around and be independent within 6 months. My goal is simply to be less judged by my stature, so the maximum "safe" height increase is fine for me (which I understand is 5cm?). Cheers

So pure externals are not an option for you. For 5cm you need around 7.5 months to 10 months in just frames, and probably >1 year total to walk okayish.

LON is externals but with a rod inside, and it is "less" safe than pure externals because you ream a rod into your bones. But 6 months is usually not enough to walk normally even with LON, although it's possible but not realistic with 5cm.

If you want 6 month recovery to walking decent then you need to do Stryde femurs.

justsumguy

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 04:54:42 PM »

Thanks for the info, the high risk of permanent knee pain from a rod is putting me off LON and my femurs are already a bit long. Didn't realize externals would take so long to recover, but so be it. Is cosmetic leg lengthening allowed in Australia? And how do I go about finding nearby professionals?

Serilium

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 05:09:24 PM »

Thanks for the info, the high risk of permanent knee pain from a rod is putting me off LON and my femurs are already a bit long. Didn't realize externals would take so long to recover, but so be it. Is cosmetic leg lengthening allowed in Australia? And how do I go about finding nearby professionals?

Dr. Tim O'Carrigan in Sydney
way out of your posted budget though

justsumguy

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »

Cheers. His website doesn't mention cosmetic reasons, how do you know he does it? I live in Melbourne btw

Is there also a way to stay in India for one year without leaving? Perhaps that would open up more options.

AboveAverageIsuppose

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 04:24:56 AM »

There isnt really any clear information RE: Tim O'Carrigan. There was a post fairly recently with some vague information that didn't seem to really be clear. Overall he would be a good option if he provided it though, because while it would be an expensive surgery, we have the benefit of pretty strong access to some of the other expensive requirements (IE - Physio, Pain killers, follow up appointments etc etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up