Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral Femur Lengthening Dairy: May 2021 with Dr Betz and Betzbone  (Read 27941 times)

Future Skycraper

Told my company about the surgery. They actually don't want too much technical details, since they want to respect health privacy. What they do need is a letter from the surgeon outlining the date of surgery, hospital stay, and rehab time/needs. This is mostly for compliance purposes. The way it works is that a GP under my insurance network will assess my needs, which is partially communicated to him by Dr Betz. The GP then refers me to x-rays and physio that are then covered by the insurance.

Day 6
The physio on day 5 really hit the spot. I was partially recovering from my gait too. However day 6 was a retraction in many ways. I had a pretty poor breakfast which caused nausea, which led to somewhat of a depression. I started questioning why I was doing this and if all the pain was worth it, and struggle was worth it. My walking regressed as well. My clicking will start on Day 8, and from everything I've heard, it causes a lot of pain and distress for most people, unlike what Dr Betz' ads suggest. It will start with a few clicks, then up to 20. I just hope I'm one of the few lucky ones who don't experience tremendous pain during clicking.

You're brave, mate! Keep it up, and if that deprenssions strikes again, remember your strugles about being short!

chasing_higher_dream

• Life is what you make it

Damn, I hope the clicking eventually gets better for you as the days pass.
I have surgery with Dr. Betz in less than a month and honestly, I am too afraid of all this ordeal!

I hope things would get better for you here on. Also, I presume you have just 1 week of stay left at the hospital. What are your plans post that? Are you planning to move back to the UK all by yourself? If yes, do you think you would be able to carry your luggage and go to the airport and travel? I think this is very hectic for your body, considering you have a sharp pain on slight movements...
Femurs with Dr. Betz - May 2021
Height (night):  170 cm --> 178 cm
Wingspan: 174 cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66215.0

Zatoichi

• Visitor

Sucks about the painkillers and clicking issues. Hopefully both will be resolved (become less pervasive) as the process develops and you get more comfortable with things.

It's really valuable to have your honest and unfiltered account of the entire process so people know what they are really signing up for.

Keep going! You are on the road to a bigger target. The pain is a temporary nuisance that you need to deal with along the way!

SirStretchAlot

Serilium & Future Skycraper & Zatoichi
Thanks for the encouragement!

chasing_higher_dream
At my current pace of recovery, I believe I will be able to go back to London this Sunday without aid. A slight gait will still be there especially if my muscles are not relaxed, so I still need to come up with an excuse.

Day 9
Today the clicking for my right leg was equally painful, with scream-worthy pains in 2 of the 10 clicks. I am honestly worried it will hurt my knee at some point. It is worth to note that my left leg is recovering much better than my right. My right has persistant and accute pains, less flexibility, and sharp pains during clicking. Dr Betz is a brilliant surgeon, and I trust that most patients have no problem with Betzbone. But given the pain that a good portion of patients go through (like myself), I would recommend using Stryde for its magnetic lengthening if you're willing to wait for its return.

Further, I would also like to try grouping my naps together into one long sleep if possible. Sleeping during active hours is a waste since the painkillers are in effect. When the painkillers aren't in effect, I should be fast asleep.

I started stairs training for the past 2 days. Surprisingly walking up stairs is easier than down, as the movement to go down stairs is quicker and therefore more likely to shock your muscles. Again my right has much more difficulty doing it. I essentially feel like there're 2 patients in me. My left leg is recovering perfectly, without pain, gait, and clicking as advertised. My right is the exact opposite with all the complications.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:54:35 PM by SirStretchAlot »
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Future Skycraper

Day 9
Today the clicking for my right leg was equally painful, with scream-worthy pains in 2 of the 10 clicks. I am honestly worried it will hurt my knee at some point. It is worth to note that my left leg is recovering much better than my right. My right has persistant and accute pains, less flexibility, and sharp pains during clicking. Dr Betz is a brilliant surgeon, and I trust that most patients have no problem with Betzbone. But given the pain that a good portion of patients go through (like myself), I would recommend using Stryde for its magnetic lengthening if you're willing to wait for its return.

I started stairs training for the past 2 days. Surprisingly walking up stairs is easier than down, as the movement to go down stairs is quicker and therefore more likely to shock your muscles. Again my right has much more difficulty doing it. I essentially feel like there're 2 patients in me. My left leg is recovering perfectly, without pain, gait, and clicking as advertised. My right is the exact opposite with all the complications.

Try streaching more with the pt, maybe it could be more painful now, but it could get better in weeks. Hope it gets better! Don't forget to talk with the pt!

DonBones

Serilium & Future Skycraper & Zatoichi
Thanks for the encouragement!

chasing_higher_dream
At my current pace of recovery, I believe I will be able to go back to London this Sunday without aid. A slight gait will still be there especially if my muscles are not relaxed, so I still need to come up with an excuse.

Day 9

Further, I would also like to try grouping my naps together into one long sleep if possible. Sleeping during active hours is a waste since the painkillers are in effect. When the painkillers aren't in effect, I should be fast asleep.

It would be good to know why one leg is fine and the other one isn't, did you ask Betz about it?
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

Serilium

Day 9
Today the clicking for my right leg was equally painful, with scream-worthy pains in 2 of the 10 clicks. I am honestly worried it will hurt my knee at some point.

When I was in Germany back in 2012 I simply could not click the standard way that Betz taught me. So I learned an alternative way from another patient and then it was very easy:

1) Sit down somewhere with your legs wide apart.
2)Put your right hand on the side of your right knee.
3) Push the knee down without moving your feet, twisting the leg inside until you hear the click.
4) Bring the knee back up without moving your feet.
5) Repeat how many times necessary (with the old Betzbone was 10 clicks. Now it's 20)
6) Repeat the whole procedure with the left hand and left knee.

inchesmatter

Daniela knows all the ways to click. You have to put your foot way out to the side, then slowly push your knee inward. If you don't have your foot out far enough to the side, it won't click. It takes a lot of trial and error but after a few weeks or a month it's doable. Eventually it's so easy you will be afraid to click accidentally. I think as the nail gets longer, it may make clicking easier, too. And be sure to totally relax the leg. Do not resist at all.

SirStretchAlot

Future Skycraper
Will do!

DonBones
Asked Betz, and he said there's no particular reason, the left might become more difficult at somepoint etc...

Serilium & inchesmatter
I just tried those methods until they clicked, and the pain level is very similar. Betz told me that the reason why clicking is harder for some legs is because of the tight fit of the nail within the bone marrow. He said it will get better as the rotors loosen. Don't know if that's neccessarily a good thing, but I'll take it if it means less pain.

Day 10
Did 15 clicks on the left leg in 5 min. Only 10 on the right so far because of the pain. I screamed for a minute straight on the first click. I really hope the clicking gets better as everyone says. For those who haven't done the surgery yet, I strongly recommend waiting for Stryde for its magnetic rather than mechanical clicking if possible.

Stairs training has seen much more success. I can now walk upstairs without handrails, and downstairs with some pain (when the knees bend). The muscles have definitely stiffened up further so I need to be more active with the stretching. I noticed that my legs are spread apart when walking, which causes the waddle. I've been conciously trying to close them, and that has improved my gait substaintially.

I also noticed the lack of ibuprofen and reduction in size of novalgin in my pill tray. They're trying to ween me off painkillers, which I'm happy with, but just not during clicking. :)

SirStretchAlot

Day 11

Did 20 clicks on the left and 19 on the right (to eventually correct a 5mm deficiency on the left leg). The good news is that the clicking pain has diminished, mainly attributing to better techniques and the return of Ibuprofen. I now twist my right knee in small increments, making sure that it doesn't twist a single degree beyond what is neccessary to click. :)

The not so good news is that my hip flexors have become extremely tight when I have close my legs. It's as if there's a pin being hammered into my right hip. There is also sometimes a bubbly sensation where it feels like my right hip will disjoint with my legs. My right leg is just hopeless at this point :'(

SirStretchAlot

Day 12

My right pelvis felt like it was rubbing against a screw and it was! The most recent x-ray showed that a screw is loose and I will have to redo surgery to secure it. The good news is it's only one incision and someone can do my clicking. The bad news is full anesthesia and another god damn surgery!!!

I commend Dr Betz for his professionalism, but this complication is purely an implant/surgeon error. Re-opened wounds are more likely to bleed, and leave a scar. Repeated anesthesia is terrible for the brain.

While I'm beginning to master clicking, it still takes a good chunk of my day. At this point, I strongly recommend a Stryde surgeon.

las vegas baby

Day 12

My right pelvis felt like it was rubbing against a screw and it was! The most recent x-ray showed that a screw is loose and I will have to redo surgery to secure it. The good news is it's only one incision and someone can do my clicking. The bad news is full anesthesia and another god damn surgery!!!

I commend Dr Betz for his professionalism, but this complication is purely an implant/surgeon error. Re-opened wounds are more likely to bleed, and leave a scar. Repeated anesthesia is terrible for the brain.

While I'm beginning to master clicking, it still takes a good chunk of my day. At this point, I strongly recommend a Stryde surgeon.

sorry to hear this man.

But is anesthesia really bad for the brain? "repeated" = 10s of times or even just twice?

And why dont you opt for a spinal block or something?

Johnp86

• Visitor

Sad news man, but he cannot do a local anesthesia? I had a tumora in the middle of my left tibia 10 years ago and the surgeon just did a local anesthesia in my leg to go get it, how cannot it be possible to do it just for one screw replacement ?

RB

Day 12

Sorry to hear mate. At least the screw replacement surgery will be simple and non-invasive. Did you get a chance to see what the loose screw looked like on the X-ray? I assume it was the top larger screw that was loose?
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

RealLostSoul

Day 12

Oh no that fking sucks.
Don't worry about brain problems, while there is indeed a maximum limit you should do within some time, brain damage will not occur, especially at your age. only on old patients long operations can leave (temporary) confusion and memory issues. It's dependent on how long the surgery takes too, a screw fix will most likely not take long at all.

I don't know if you have any other options like epidural has it's downsides too. It's not only very uncomfortable, but you also get a catheter, you may have bad headaches for some days and you are paralyzed for a few hours.

The biggest thing would be bigger infection risk if you have to operate on the same spot again but other than that it should be a quick and easy fix.
How much will this ordeal cost you?

SirStretchAlot

las vegas baby & Johnp86
Yeah so Dr Betz applies local anesthesia to the wound regardless of whether general is applied. It seems to be a surgical preference of his to always gas his patients as it's easier for him to move them. Still, general anesthesia has the potential for long-term memory impairment.

RB
He needs to cut a whole to either screw in or replace the screw. I think that's invasive haha. It was indeed the top screw on my right leg that became loose. They're checking operational x-rays to see if this was a surgical error. I honestly hope that's the case because if not, there's a good chance the screw will become loose again.

RealLostSoul
I think additional surgeries due to implant/surgery errors are free, as they should be. I'm paying in the form of further physiological damage.:'( Regardless, I had to rebook my plane ticket, and push a bunch of appointments which was a logistical hassle. Staying in this hospital for 2 more days isn't the most pleasant thing either. The only good thing I see out of this, is that the nail came loose while I was still in Germany. Flying in for another 30min surgery 6 weeks later would be upsetting given COVID.

Johnp86

• Visitor

Ok got it, i asked Dr Betz when I met him  why he was  the only surgeon to put horizontal screws at the top of the nail and according to him it is better

RealLostSoul

Interesting. He told me it‘s irrelevant which type of anesthesia I choose and it‘s up to personal preference. But maybe with purely local (not epidural) you could still move your legs which would be bad.
Don‘t worry about anesthesia cognitive impairment. At your age you would rather win the lottery than getting any of this.

Definitely is a crappy situation though, please update us when you know more, I am interested in how this will go. Wish you all the best!

chasing_higher_dream

• Life is what you make it

Day 12

Sorry to hear this. This is like a nightmare! I hope you recover from this setback and continue towards your lengthening goal.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - May 2021
Height (night):  170 cm --> 178 cm
Wingspan: 174 cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66215.0

DonBones

I am sorry to hear about your troubles and hope that Dr Betz will be able to help you out. Hang in there, I am sure it will improve and in the end you will be glad you did it :)

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm

Holy crap, that sounds like a nightmare. This is malpractice, I am so sorry man. I hope they resolve this ASAP
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

SirStretchAlot

Johnp86
Yeah. Dr Betz originally used oblique nails too. However, he said that he found horizontal nails to be much more stable.

RealLostSoul & chasing_higher_dream & DonBones & PerfectBody
Thank you guys for all the well wishes! Seems like the follow-up procedure did its job.

Day 14
It was not known whether the screw was initially not placed correctly, or that it loosened overtime. Nonetheless, during the follow-up procedure, Dr Betz managed to turn the screw further inside. He has also told me that the screw is fixed tight, so it shouldn't fall out. The procedure and anesthasia were both quite brief, so I didn't have the usual side effects. The wound is on local anesthesia, so it doesn't hurt. Finally, my right lateral thigh no longer hurt from the screw contact. :)

Apparently the reason for my right leg's slow recovery is due to the excess swelling still present from the initial operation, which is unusual. I was issued tight stockings to squeeze/drain out the lymph pus, so the leg can heal properly. The stocking is very tight...

The best thing is it's my last night in this hospital ;D. The pain, poor food and lack of socialization with other LL patients made these 2 weeks quite miserable. The only thing is I hope the surgery didn't harm my right leg's clicking, which has already been difficult and painful.

I really look forward to putting the surgery recovery chapter behind me and hope there will be no complications for any future Betz patients. He is definitely the most experienced surgeon in Europe, but his nails are indeed antiquated.

Time to start my new struggle against duck ass and wide legs. :)

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm

Haha glad you bounced back man. I was really worried for you last night.

I’m happy to hear they operation was really small and trivial. I might have a similar issue on my left leg, it’s definitely lagging behind my right in terms of swelling and muscle recovery. Ah well let’s see who’s  ty leg is  tier 😬😅
LON Femur with Dr Buldu

SirStretchAlot

PerfectBody
Thanks for worrying buddy! Does your left leg x-ray look the same as right?

Day 17
2nd day back in London. The clicking is almost the same, but I have to start explaining to friends my gait.(I said it was a biking accident, and it seems everyone thus far bought it since I'm not that much taller yet.

I'm 1.5cm into lengthening, and I'm beginning to feel the wide-legs and obvious gait. I feel duck-ass is related to wide-legs, as standing up straight stretches the same side IT bands even more. I think I'm going to reduce to 15 clicks after 2.5cm~.

The x-rays show that my upper right leg has larger bone marrow, so the upper portion of my femur (above osteotomy) is slanted outwards, and not perfectly aligned with the lower portion as is the case with my left leg. Dr. Betz has said that the nail must adhere to the inner side of the bone marrow to prevent rattling of the nail. I can't help but to think this is what's causing my gait. I'll supply the diary with the actual x-ray when I find a CD-reader.

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm

Hey bro, it’s hard to say. What do you think? https://imgur.com/a/i0cgFH3

Ps keep working on your posture! Heels down before toes. It’s these small things we can’t let slide; we’re going to be fked up if we don’t constantly fight the temptation to let PT go to the wayside. Good luck man
LON Femur with Dr Buldu

SirStretchAlot

PerfectBody
Yeah, always trying to close them legs too =D.

Day 19
Life is settling down in London, though clicking on my right leg still takes a good chunk of my day (2-3 hours). The gait is quite apparent, and I've started physio to see which muscle group is causing it.

Walking for more than 60 minutes a day can be exhausting, so shopping can be tough. I've also noticed that I walk much slower than those around me.

I've also learned that taking painkillers through the night significantly improves my sleep. Instead of waking up after 3 hours, I can sleep for 6. Not ideal, but definitely a huge improvement. I still take painkillers 3 times a day, just in 8 hour intervals instead of 6. The pills do wear off after 6 hours, but I think the improved sleep is worth it.

I was also at an event where essentially everyone was at least 178cm with thick soles. Definitely a motivation booster. :)

Limbfan2020

SirStretchAlot
What's your medication for the preventon of blood clots? Heparin, Aspirn or Xarelto?

DonBones

PerfectBody
Yeah, always trying to close them legs too =D.

Day 19
Life is settling down in London, though clicking on my right leg still takes a good chunk of my day (2-3 hours). The gait is quite apparent, and I've started physio to see which muscle group is causing it.

Walking for more than 60 minutes a day can be exhausting, so shopping can be tough. I've also noticed that I walk much slower than those around me.

I've also learned that taking painkillers through the night significantly improves my sleep. Instead of waking up after 3 hours, I can sleep for 6. Not ideal, but definitely a huge improvement. I still take painkillers 3 times a day, just in 8 hour intervals instead of 6. The pills do wear off after 6 hours, but I think the improved sleep is worth it.

I was also at an event where essentially everyone was at least 178cm with thick soles. Definitely a motivation booster. :)

Good to see you're improving!

I am from London too btw and will have the surgery with Betz in July :)

SirStretchAlot

Limbfan2020
Xarelto

DonBones
That's great. I would personally wait for Stryde but it definitely will not be available in July.  :-\

Day 20
After some research, it is clear that I have Trendelenburg's Gait. While my left hip abductor muscles have no problem lifting my right leg up, my right hip abductors, when isolated simply cannot move my left leg in a meaningful range. This happens after hip/leg surgery and is often attributed to damage to superior gluteal nerve. I had no such issues pre-surgery, and the gait set on early after my first post-op mobilization, so it is clear that nerves were damaged during the surgery.

Nerve damage can heal, but never entirely. I will start physio on that muscle group in earnest. Immediate identification and exercise is key to recovering as much as possible.

From loose screws, to slanted x-rays, to painful clicking, and degenerated hip abductors, I am guessing at this point, there must be complications with my right leg during surgery that Dr Betz has not told me about.

Limbfan2020

SirStretchAlot
Is the Betzbone inserted through the knee or the greater trochander?

I'm sorry to hear about all these problems. Hope you'll get well very soon!

I don't want to offend this doctor but could it be that he is too old for performing this surgery?

DonBones

Day 20
After some research, it is clear that I have Trendelenburg's Gait. [...]

From loose screws, to slanted x-rays, to painful clicking, and degenerated hip abductors, I am guessing at this point, there must be complications with my right leg during surgery that Dr Betz has not told me about.

Im' really sorry to hear you have complications. I am not sure what kind of research you did, but I'd wait until one or two doctors confirm your guess before jumping to conclusions :)

The best of luck for your recovery!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up