Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only want to add 1 inch or around 3 cm (noob here)  (Read 1852 times)

Serilium

Re: Only want to add 1 inch or around 3 cm (noob here)
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 06:57:22 PM »

Tibia you are limited by the achilles tendon. So the max is usually 5-6cm before you really get messed up, ideally stop before 5cm.

Femur you can lengthen more because there is no major impediment like an achilles but you will still be tight no matter what at 6cm and more

it is both traumatic, even if you do 1cm you are breaking the bones

RealLostSoul

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2021, 12:10:14 AM »

it's traumatic either way and the initial step of "starting" the whole ordeal is the same no matter what nail, lengthening amount and doctor. if you do lengthen and want to feel safe you go for as much until it starts becoming problematic (your doctor will tell you), this is individually different. idk why you came to think "ah if i lengthen only an inch this will be easy cheesy" like no it's not. the most difficult part is the first weeks after surgery and not so much going from 3 to 6 or whatever.

a lot of people myself included already said this is not a joke and you shouldn't do this for an unnoticeable change it's absolutely NOT worth it. the minimum of noticeable is 2 inches.

TheDream

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 12:29:47 AM »

The long term loss of athletic ability stems from the lengthening, not the breaking of the bones performed by the surgeon.
Bones heal, that is what they are naturally designed to do. Add to that the fact that the surgeon is making a very clean cut designed to heal perfectly.

It is the muscles, nerves etc. that are not naturally designed to get stretched the way they do during LL. Think about it, you are pulling the muscle apart about one single point (where the bone is being lengthened) under a lot of pressure. The muscle has no way of releasing any of this pressure it is being exposed to. Then add to this the axis of the bone changing during lengthening. The natural femur/tibia rate being changed. In the Tibia you even have a smaller bone, the Fibula, also being lengthened which just adds to the complexity.

By simple deduction it is obvious that every cm you lengthen must have an exponential effect on loss of athletic ability. Some people say that 3-4 cm is unnoticeable and not worth it, but I bet you that going from 173cm to 176/177cm will be noticeable. I think it just depends on your starting height.

Naturally there is still the risk of the surgeon not doing his job perfectly in the procedure, but I am assuming that in reality this wont happen with an experienced and high skilled surgeon.

RealLostSoul

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 12:45:15 AM »

The loss of athletic ability stems from the lengthening, not the breaking of the bones performed by the surgeon.
Bones heal, that is what they are naturally designed to do. Add to that the fact that the surgeon is making a very clean cut designed to heal perfectly.

It is the muscles, nerves etc. that are not naturally designed to get stretched the way they do during LL. Think about it, you are pulling the muscle apart about one single point (where the bone is being lengthened) under a lot of pressure. The muscle has no way of releasing any of this pressure it is being exposed to. Then add to this the axis of the bone changing during lengthening. The natural femur/tibia rate being changed. In the Tibia you even have a smaller bone, the Fibula, also being lengthened which just adds to the complexity.

By simple deduction it is obvious that every cm you lengthen must have an exponential effect on loss of athletic ability. Some people say that 3-4 cm is unnoticeable and not worth it, but I bet you that going from 173cm to 176/177cm will be noticeable. I think it just depends on your starting height.

Long term athletic stuff is debatable. Not everyone is set out to be an athlete, for a lot of people, myself included it is not necessary to do any more sport than occasional hobby ones. If you want to be a top athlete you should consider it twice, yes. I am however definitely down with risking athletic ability for height and psychological improvement.

No it is not, you just perceive people differently when they state their height. In reality young people really do shrink 2cm (or even an inch) during morning to evening so that gives a difference in and of itself. Then it depends on your stature phenotype, if you look lanky slim with long arms you look taller than if you are bulky/stumpy and potentially wearing baggy clothes. If you really measure two people at the same time, both aren't slouching but standing as straight as possible, and one is 5'8 the other one 5'9 and you stand them together you will only notice a tiny bit if at all. Go down an inch from the top of your head it's almost nothing. Hell I even bet hairstyle can make up for that, on photos at least. Then you also always have insoles and lifts.

See thousand things making LL for an inch ridiculous because in the end it is not a difference. You are basically the same height level, you are not pushing yourself into another height league with that. One of my best friends is 1.5 inches taller and everyone, ourselves included, view us as same height. I used to go rock climbing (before corona :(.) with him a lot and everything was the same body length wise (you know, how you grab stuff and place your feet) while other friends that are (starting at about) 3 inches taller or shorter had to do a lot of stuff differently.

onlywantafewcmmore

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2021, 01:42:35 AM »

RealLostSoul, you seem to be very wary of this surgery (for obvious reasons). Are there patients who dont experience complications from this type of surgery; by that I mean who have surgery, recover and then just live their life as if they never had surgery but were just born that way. Or can most patients expect complications in some form or another down the line?

RealLostSoul

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »

RealLostSoul, you seem to be very wary of this surgery (for obvious reasons). Are there patients who dont experience complications from this type of surgery; by that I mean who have surgery, recover and then just live their life as if they never had surgery but were just born that way. Or can most patients expect complications in some form or another down the line?

IMO longterm wise it is possible to 100% recover. For a normal life though. If you want to be a top athlete their is an ever burning discussion, I believe you can make a good recovery but not 100%. What's also never going to be 100% regardless of the amount really is the nerve innervation, however, only subclinically measurable. Meaning you have no symptoms and function completely normal. So that's definitely an easy to answer choice (it doesn't make a difference).

And about complications, most people have some problems down the line like tight muscles, duck ass etc but those are only temporary problems that will resolve. What you should be afraid of complication wise comes post surgery, things that can kill or ruin you. Thrombosis, fat emboli, pulmonary embolism. Bad bone infections. Hidden infections on the nail (will fk you up). Compartment syndrome (even if treated, google fasciotomy and see how big of a fking scar that will leave on your leg). Etc etc.
Most of these problems are bad luck, a bit of the surgeons skill too but most importantly for you, you have that risk when inserting a nail, even a trauma nail without any lengthening. So it's regardless if you do 1cm or 10cm.

The only bad complication that can occur later down the line during distraction is nerve palsy but that doesn't come overnight and you should report nerve problems immediately to the doctor. It is rather rare and I haven't heard of someone having permanent nerve leasions..
e:/ oh and non union of course too but that's what you keep track of with xrays as well.

5ft8lurker

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2021, 06:00:03 PM »

Another thing onlywantafewcmmore, is that by the time you're in your 50s, your going to have probably lost .5" to 1" in height. So consider that.

This is an extremely expensive and debilitating procedure. Minimum amount to be worth doing in my opinion is 5cm or about 2". Anything less is basically pointless.

onlywantafewcmmore

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »

I was hoping for an easier way by only doing a few cm, but seems thats absolutely not the case. One thing that surprises me, Ive had rhinoplasty before, and on the forums there a lot of people are unhappy. I know there will always be a displeased vocal minority, but about 15% of patients require a secondary surgery. On LL forums that doesnt seem to be the case? It seems majority of people come out good?

Worzezterlire

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2021, 02:56:44 PM »

I was hoping for an easier way by only doing a few cm, but seems thats absolutely not the case. One thing that surprises me, Ive had rhinoplasty before, and on the forums there a lot of people are unhappy. I know there will always be a displeased vocal minority, but about 15% of patients require a secondary surgery. On LL forums that doesnt seem to be the case? It seems majority of people come out good?

There are secondary surgeries where you can fix problems that arise (e.g. illotibilial band release of the IT band becomes tight) and leg shortening surgery for overdone cases (which seems to be extremely rare) but usually the “second surgery” would just be to lengthen the other untouched segment if more height is desired.

onlywantafewcmmore

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2021, 08:32:26 PM »

So what are the usual complications that come with this surgey? It seems to me the worst thing (besides the price) is the painful and long recovery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up