Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nail sizes  (Read 419 times)

Masteryourlife

Nail sizes
« on: January 11, 2022, 05:42:25 AM »

Hello everyone !
I was wondering if someone who had a 13mm nail inserted in femurs could upload their x-rays n how common you guys think it is to fit a 13 mm nail in a femur without reaming too much .

Of course we need x-rays to determinate that but I don't have a  limb lengthening surgeon close to me so before I get them I would like to know your guys opinion on this .

Height Journey

Re: Nail sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »

13mm? Read diaries and see X-rays of a patient who used the largest Stryde nails when it was available.

Diameter of Nail / Max Load Limit
Stryde (small)      10.0mm   150 pounds
Stryde (medium)     11.5mm   200 pounds
Stryde (large)      13.0mm   250 pounds
Precice 2 (small)    8.5mm    30 pounds
Precice 2 (medium)  10.7mm    50 pounds
Precice 2 (large)   12.5mm    70 pounds
3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney

Masteryourlife

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 02:37:52 PM »

13mm? Read diaries and see X-rays of a patient who used the largest Stryde nails when it was available.

Diameter of Nail / Max Load Limit
Stryde (small)      10.0mm   150 pounds
Stryde (medium)     11.5mm   200 pounds
Stryde (large)      13.0mm   250 pounds
Precice 2 (small)    8.5mm    30 pounds
Precice 2 (medium)  10.7mm    50 pounds
Precice 2 (large)   12.5mm    70 pounds

Diares are confusing n close to no one asks or displays nails size with stryde since is a close to irrelevant topic for many so I thought it would have been smarter to ask here but ig not lol
I got n info fron a surgeon but it's not official so that is why I was asking about nail sizing but I will just go in LL experience n will scroll trought diares ig as u suggested .
Do u know btw what kind of xrays or check one needs to have to figure out its femur lenght and intramedullary canal size ?

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 03:19:06 PM »

@masteryour life

If I recall correctly you ask for AP lateral left and or AP lateral right on the required bone segments at the imaging department (x-ray). You should then be given a CD as standard and you can measure it yourself (literally with the tools within the software measure one end to the other of your canal) if you prefer however you would need to obtain “Dicom” which is some type of medical software. Or just forward it to your surgeon. :)

Hope this helps.

Masteryourlife

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 03:46:35 PM »

@masteryour life

If I recall correctly you ask for AP lateral left and or AP lateral right on the required bone segments at the imaging department (x-ray). You should then be given a CD as standard and you can measure it yourself (literally with the tools within the software measure one end to the other of your canal) if you prefer however you would need to obtain “Dicom” which is some type of medical software. Or just forward it to your surgeon. :)

Hope this helps.
yes it does help , thank you so much :)

Height Journey

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:46:28 PM »

Diares are confusing n close to no one asks or displays nails size with stryde since is a close to irrelevant topic for many so I thought it would have been smarter to ask here but ig not lol
I got n info fron a surgeon but it's not official so that is why I was asking about nail sizing but I will just go in LL experience n will scroll trought diares ig as u suggested .
Do u know btw what kind of xrays or check one needs to have to figure out its femur lenght and intramedullary canal size ?

Some of the diaries include the nail size used, but it's a detailed piece of info that the author is not obliged to state, nor is it likely it will be provided.

For X-rays and bone measurements, you cannot just go to a local X-ray clinic. First, you need a doctor's order for X-rays. Second, their X-ray machines have much smaller cartridges, typically 17 inches at most. That will not cover a femur in one X-ray unless you are very short. Third, they are very unlikely to have advanced software with markers on a CD to accurately measure the bone dimensions.

You need an advanced X-ray machine in an advanced orthopedic department of a large hospital or leg lengthening clinic. They have X-ray machines with 51 inch cartridges for the entire legs and pelvis, and markers to measure to the millimeter on a computer program.
3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney

Masteryourlife

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 06:57:18 AM »

Some of the diaries include the nail size used, but it's a detailed piece of info that the author is not obliged to state, nor is it likely it will be provided.

For X-rays and bone measurements, you cannot just go to a local X-ray clinic. First, you need a doctor's order for X-rays. Second, their X-ray machines have much smaller cartridges, typically 17 inches at most. That will not cover a femur in one X-ray unless you are very short. Third, they are very unlikely to have advanced software with markers on a CD to accurately measure the bone dimensions.

You need an advanced X-ray machine in an advanced orthopedic department of a large hospital or leg lengthening clinic. They have X-ray machines with 51 inch cartridges for the entire legs and pelvis, and markers to measure to the millimeter on a computer program.
This is helpfull , thank u .
I'm looking for a good trauma ortho surgeon because I don't have LL surgeons in my city or close to it .

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 08:16:28 AM »

Apologies I forgot to mention yes you would require a referral from a health care practitioner prior to x ray imaging.

In my case I scanned both Femur and Tibia in two parts ie. 1 image knee down and 1 image knee up. You are able to obtain your canal widths and F + T ratios respectively although it’s not one seamless image.

For just the canal dimensions AP lateral L/R worked fine for me.

At pre surgery stage (not there yet :))I would imagine more advanced imaging would occur, as “height journey” mentions above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up