Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Year Post-OP Hell - Stryde Nails  (Read 3549 times)

Movie

1 Year Post-OP Hell - Stryde Nails
« on: June 19, 2021, 04:50:05 AM »

I want to address something that hasn't officially been addressed specifically, but after a lot of conversations with different fellow CLLers, a lot of us experienced what I've come to name "1 year post-op hell" which is pretty much self explanatory ... around the 1 year post op mark +-1 or 2 months I experienced excruciating pain in my knees, one week my right knee and femur would be on fire and pains up to 9/10, the next week my left would shoot up in pain. this lasted about a month or so, the pains still come sometimes if I exercise but nothing to complain about.

this is for Stryde nail femur patients not sure if other nails have this or if tibia procedures have this phenomenon.

Anybody else experienced this? if so care to share for other newer CLLers?
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

BelowTheMean

Re: 1 Year Post-OP Hell - Stryde Nails
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 06:07:09 AM »

I'm not at the one-year mark yet, but sometimes I have strong pain right above my right knee when I put weight on it. When it happens it lasts for a good 2-3 days and I have to limp to even be able to walk since it hurts to bear weight on that leg. I did not have this issue during lengthening or right after starting consolidation.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Want-3-inches

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 07:07:09 AM »

Stryde nails were withdrawn to study the lysis effects they were causing. Then it was determined that the effects are real and concerning and they decided to work on a modified version of it. You still have your nails in. Your first priority should be to get them out if your bones are completely healed. Any introspection now doesn't make much sense to me.

Movie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 07:34:42 AM »

there's still people who did it before the recall
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

overandover

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 08:15:39 AM »

I want to address something that hasn't officially been addressed specifically, but after a lot of conversations with different fellow CLLers, a lot of us experienced what I've come to name "1 year post-op hell" which is pretty much self explanatory ... around the 1 year post op mark +-1 or 2 months I experienced excruciating pain in my knees, one week my right knee and femur would be on fire and pains up to 9/10, the next week my left would shoot up in pain. this lasted about a month or so, the pains still come sometimes if I exercise but nothing to complain about.

this is for Stryde nail femur patients not sure if other nails have this or if tibia procedures have this phenomenon.

I haven't had the surgery yet still I get bad pain in my legs sometimes randomly. There's no reason for it it just happens.

Ahd1978

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 11:37:32 AM »

Hey guys I’m in 5 th month

But yes I get shooting nerve pain like a fire in left leg

I also get severe knee pain right above as you all have mentioned and it lasts for few days

Didn’t happen during distraction this knee pain but yeah it is painful

I truly wonder if this will continue post removal of nail or is this life long cost for all of us

more

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »

1. Iliotibial band syndrome (Tightness because of lengthening) and unnecessarily Iliotibial band lengthening (Incision)
2. discrepancy
3. walking one-sided
These are the most causes of knee pain.

Rests are :  muscles weakness. misalignment  and overuse of knee specially bicycle during lengthening period

Ahd1978

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »

Thanks movie

Mine started when I went back to swimming and realize legs aren’t ready

Since then have stopped swimming

Just up and down stairs and try to balance as much

You are right as some days knee pain shifts from right to left

Does it eventually go away ?

Btw this vascular adjustment within body did anyone experience that

Maybe I’m 43 and taking longer for new legs to adjust now

I started at 177 and now I’m at 185 so it is serious height

Want-3-inches

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 12:30:01 PM »

there's still people who did it before the recall

I know. What I was saying was, why don't you get yours removed now?

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »

I started at 177 and now I’m at 185 so it is serious height
Holy sh*t man, that's a very huge jump and also at a rather old age compared to to the average CLL'er (25)
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

Ahd1978

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »

That’s why I’m bit worried

But dr. Paley had said vascular system adapts

I mean he has lengthened patients upto 16 cm and all are fine

I mean I survived fat embolism and also blood clot scare so I’m pretty deep into it.

Just exhausted and now want body to adapt and enjoy the new height

I wonder if I remove nails sooner would it help and just be on crutches

5ft5

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 02:00:23 PM »

I haven't had the surgery yet still I get bad pain in my legs sometimes randomly. There's no reason for it it just happens.

Lmao. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's nerve pain around the knee and sometimes just a random sharp pain and lasts for 2-3 days. That's why tibias are a big no-no. I could only imagine the pain waiting for me when I go through the surgery a few years down the line along with the accumulated problems I have.

Movie

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »

overandover: If you have pains like that already then expect them to be worse after LL if you do it, I never experienced those types of pains until after CLL

ahd1978: Yes early consolidations come with its pains, the body is healing and adjusting still, give it some time you should be soaring pain free around month 6-7 up until month 11-12 when you might encounter this 1 year post op hell, that left me almost crying and I'm very pain tolerant.

more: yup I researched and found those same answers, it varies with everyone.

want-3-inches: It's rare that someone gets their rods removed before the 1 year post op mark, I've only seen that once, SNC. Most people might experience this 1 year post op phase of crippling pain. to answer your question, Covid is the reason I haven't removed my nails yet.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

Ahd1978

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »

Thanks movie

Looking forward to that pain free 7 month

I’m sorry for your post op 1 year pain. What did the doc have to say ? Is it nails or it just happens

There must be an explanations. I have watched diaries on victors Website of patients having done femur and tibia and no one mentions this pain

Thanks again for advice

Movie

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 11:35:31 PM »

I'm way past the 1 year post op pains, Dr. Mahboubian said that my body is still adjusting 1 year post op that pains are still normal.

Yeah I wouldn't ever hear of this 1 year post op pains. but when I mentioned it in my diary at least 4 other Stryde patients mentioned they had pain 11 months post-op, 1 year post op ETC around the 1 year mark and it lasted a couple weeks, pretty bad pains too.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

TheAlchemist

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 11:38:58 PM »

Sending positive vibes and well wishes your way Movie. Around my 1 year op anniversary I'd get random shooting pains above my knee just a handful of times. In my case the most unfortunate residual outcome of this is numbness in my left shin that I still have till this day. Hopefully rod removal has a positive impact for both of us.
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

c

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 11:56:16 PM »

顺利

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 03:59:44 AM »

Interesting. That didn't happen with me after my Betzbone LL (10cm on the right, 9cm on the left) I only left my crutches 10 months after the OP. So when I reached one year post op was actually recovering pretty well, no pain at all. My excruciating pain happened during lengthening,

6CMFemurs

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »

This is interesting, I actually too started having random soreness in my hips at almost exactly the one-year mark.

Ahd1978

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »

What are chances I have the nails removed within the year and be on crutches to avoid additional weight bearing

Atleast this way the nails r out of body

Maybe this pain is due to the nails

AimHigh

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »

I did 8cm L.Femur Precice 2.2 about 3 years ago now, as I sit here the top of my knee is sore and twitching, some days are better than others, and the pattern to this is hard to dicern,. I hope this is not a lifelong annoyance. I can still function ok , but I do get tired more easily than before and my Anterior Frontalis (both legs) is very prone to getting tight and sore allmost any time i walk up an incline for over 20 meters.
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

Siegfried

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 11:08:03 AM »

I did 8cm L.Femur Precice 2.2 about 3 years ago now, as I sit here the top of my knee is sore and twitching, some days are better than others, and the pattern to this is hard to dicern,. I hope this is not a lifelong annoyance. I can still function ok , but I do get tired more easily than before and my Anterior Frontalis (both legs) is very prone to getting tight and sore allmost any time i walk up an incline for over 20 meters.

Don’t you have an leg length discreptancy of 2-3cm? For all we know, that could be the sole reason for your complications. In addition you were in your 50s when you did the surgery. Both not exactly optimal for LL. so I don’t think your situation applies to the case movie has described.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

5ft5

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »

In hindsight, so many people coming forward with lingering knee/pain problems post-CLL is really concerning. This goes against the claim that there are no complications from this surgery claimed by Paley and the other doctors. Has anybody tried stem cell therapy or any similar treatments to get rid of the pain? Would really like to know.

V21

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 04:40:53 PM »

It can also be due to the corrosion with Stryde. The nail should go out as soon as possible.

5ft5

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 09:52:40 AM »

It can also be due to the corrosion with Stryde. The nail should go out as soon as possible.

The nails are only taken out when your bones have fully healed though right? That would take at least 1 year in that case.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »

Sometimes the lengthening nails get swapped for fixed nails before consolidation is finished.

Ronman

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »

In hindsight, so many people coming forward with lingering knee/pain problems post-CLL is really concerning. This goes against the claim that there are no complications from this surgery claimed by Paley and the other doctors. Has anybody tried stem cell therapy or any similar treatments to get rid of the pain? Would really like to know.
From what I see in this thread everybody here did around 8cm.

The general consensus on this forum seems to be that over 6cm is risky.

dreamingtall

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »

Hi Movie... Just clarifying if you meant that this "Post OP Hell" only lasts a couple weeks?

Also question for the group...is it possible that another Dr. could remove the nails and have it covered by insurance? The greed of these doctors really frustrates me at times. :(
Starting Height: 170.68cm; Goal Height: 182cm in two separate operations (^8cm Femurs, ^5cm Tibias)

5ft5

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2021, 03:49:57 PM »

From what I see in this thread everybody here did around 8cm.

The general consensus on this forum seems to be that over 6cm is risky.

I hear the last 2cm hurts like a bitch.

Movie

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 06:37:24 PM »

That's what comes with breaking a bone, I know a lot of people who had fractures and had them repaired normally and will still feel some pains sometimes, my girlfriend for example fractured her elbow and in rare occasions it'll hurt.

dreamigtall: It lasted a couple weeks for some, for me it lasted the better part of a month. some people went that route yes.
Nails removed 10/06/2021

dreamingtall

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »

Movie do you have any remaining neurosis or are you pretty confident where you are now??
Starting Height: 170.68cm; Goal Height: 182cm in two separate operations (^8cm Femurs, ^5cm Tibias)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up