Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I Stop at 4.5 cm due to poor bone healing ?  (Read 8129 times)

DreamsComeTrue

Should I Stop at 4.5 cm due to poor bone healing ?
« on: June 20, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »

Hello every one 

my age 33, and my original height is 161 cm  and average hight here in my country is  168 cm .   

I scheduled my femur lengthening using the internal method of a precise nail on  April 28, 2021, my goal was to hit 8 CM. However, the last X-RAY showed poor bone healing, and my Doctor recommended that I stop lengthening at 4 cm or 4.5  ( depends on x- ray scheduled end of this week) .

My worries are why should I stop at 4.CM if I can reach 6 CM or at least 5.cm to get the minimum advantage of the Leg lengthening procedure.
The Surgery day On April 28 On May 4th, 2021 Start lengthening a 1mm per day On June 3th 2021 Doctor request  me to slow lengthening rage  to .5 mm per day    On June 20 2021 I reach 4 cm.

Anyone had similar experience and how to overcome this issue and gain max possible hight safely ?

MY x ray at 3.7   

Hello every one 

my age 33, and my original height is 161 cm  and average hight here in my country  168 cm .   

I scheduled my femur lengthening using the internal method of a precise nail on  April 28, 2021, my goal was to hit 8 CM. However, the last X-RAY showed poor bone healing, and Doctor recommended that I stop lengthening at 4 cm or 4.5  ( depends on x- ray scheduled end of this week) .

My worries are why should I stop at 4.CM if I can reach 6 CM or at least 5.cm to get the minimum advantage of the Leg lengthening procedure.
The Surgery day On April 28 
On May 4th, 2021 Start lengthening a 1mm per day
On June 3th 2021 Doctor request  me to slow lengthening rage  to .5 mm per day 
On June 20 2021 I reach 4 cm.
today I reached 4.0

Anyone had similar experience and how to overcome this issue and gain max possible hight safely ?

MY x ray at 3.7   

https://ibb.co/kyCGSxY

Activatedxx

Re: Should I Stop at 4.5 cm due to poor bone healing ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »

It may be your diet, are you taking magnesium and vitamin d and calcium and eating protein?
Are you sleeping good and not smoking?
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »

my Doctor recommended that I stop lengthening at 4 cm or 4.5  ( depends on x- ray scheduled end of this week) .

What is wrong with you, listen to your doctor. Holy sh*t do LL patients have brain worms??? Do you want to ever walk again in your life? At this rate you will be in a wheel chair.

MY x ray at 3.7   

This is horrific. Are you weight bearing and eating right? Any calcium and protein? The only thing worse than this is 0 bone development.
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »

It may be your diet, are you taking magnesium and vitamin d and calcium and eating protein?
Are you sleeping good and not smoking?

I'm healthy and not smoker,   and Yes 2 weeks ago I start taking all the  needed supplements and sleep 8 hours for day 1 

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »

What the f*ck is wrong with you, listen to your doctor. Holy sh*t do LL patients have brain worms??? Do you want to ever walk again in your life? At this rate you will be in a wheel chair.

This is horrific. Are you weight bearing and eating right? Any calcium and protein? The only thing worse than this is 0 bone development.

DO not worry friend I'm always listen to my doctor , I'm posting just to know if there is something I missing

my doctor  asked me not to wake with waker and stay in a wheelchair due to precise nail  weight-bearing restrictions ,  my weight is  52 KG 

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »

DO not worry friend I'm always listen to my doctor , I'm posting just to know if there is something I missing

my doctor  asked me not to wake with waker and stay in a wheelchair due to precise nail  weight-bearing restrictions ,  my weight is  52 KG

Ok good. Please be safe, this is your legs we’re talking about.
LON Femur with Dr Buldu

Apollo676

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 04:55:33 PM »

Depending on the size of the precise nail used,you might actually be able to walk slowly,11mm precise nail can weight bear something like 44kgs,it might help your bone growth,while still using crutches of course,or a walker,because that's quite odd,if you sleep properly,you eat enough and take your supplements,you should be able to have a proper bone growth,do you have some sort of medical condition ?
Maybe you don't eat enough or suffer from malnutrition,52kgs is really low,even if you measure 1.60-65cm

6CMFemurs

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 05:06:39 PM »

I had poor bone healing around 4 CM, tested for low vitamin D levels. Went on a massive dose of Vit. D and started getting a lot of sun. I saw pretty immediate results on my next X-ray.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 05:08:11 PM »

52 Kg is a good weight; I'm 57 at 178 cm.  Walking isn't generally a risk you should take with Precise, but you should be able to stand at 52 Kg as long as you keep your weight evenly-distributed between both legs, so I'd ask the doctor why he recommends against even standing.  Weight bearing stimulates bone growth.  You're being set up to fail by not being allowed to stand.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 05:13:38 PM »

Depending on the size of the precise nail used,you might actually be able to walk slowly,11mm precise nail can weight bear something like 44kgs,it might help your bone growth,while still using crutches of course,or a walker,because that's quite odd,

if you sleep properly,you eat enough and take your supplements,you should be able to have a proper bone growth,do you have some sort of medical condition ?
Maybe you don't eat enough or suffer from malnutrition,52kgs is really low,even if you measure 1.60-65cm
I just start taking supplements two weeks ago

magnesium 100 mg a day
 vitamin d   50000 a week
 and calcium  600 a day
and eating protein?   NOT really  but I do eat at least one meal fish or chicken a day   ( less than half chicken )

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »

Depending on the size of the precise nail used,you might actually be able to walk slowly,11mm precise nail can weight bear something like 44kgs,it might help your bone growth,while still using crutches of course,or a walker,because that's quite odd,if you sleep properly,you eat enough and take your supplements,you should be able to have a proper bone growth,do you have some sort of medical condition ?

I lost some weight during LL , Since  I'm eating a minimum sugar and carp 

it is very hard to gain weight and keep healthy diet

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 05:18:51 PM »

I had poor bone healing around 4 CM, tested for low vitamin D levels. Went on a massive dose of Vit. D and started getting a lot of sun. I saw pretty immediate results on my next X-ray.

Thank you so much , this is  a very positive post , I might need to do test for all my vitamins ASAP , and I hope every thing will  be fine sooner . 

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »

52 Kg is a good weight; I'm 57 at 178 cm.  Walking isn't generally a risk you should take with Precise, but you should be able to stand at 52 Kg as long as you keep your weight evenly-distributed between both legs, so I'd ask the doctor why he recommends against even standing.  Weight bearing stimulates bone growth.  You're being set up to fail by not being allowed to stand.

he said your weight is fine , but he dos not want to allow me officially, he said  "why should you take a risk , a Precise originally NOT made for weight bearing , thats why they comps up  stryde nail  to overcome with the limit  weight bearing restriction... "

But I think I will take come step with the a assistance of walker .   

Apollo676

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »

Eat more protein and have a balanced diet,if i were you i would take a multivitamin supplement as well,you can also increase your calcium intake up to 1g especially if you need to grow bones,for teenagers the recommended amount of calcium is 1.2g per day,magnesium is important so thats a good point,eat a lot of healthy fat,avocados,olive oil,almonds ( magnesium + fat in it ),and take your supplements while eating a large meal,with some healthy fat
And to be extra safe expose your skin to the sun ( we are in summer so you're should be easily covered ),as even if you take vitamin D through food and supplements,somehow some people can't properly assimilate it,but skin exposure to the sun makes Vitamin D skips the fat absorption issue you have to deal with food
And yes you should at least try to stand on your legs as much as you can just to put some pressure on your legs

BetzLandLiberator

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »

I think this post is important for people to understand that weight bearing nails are important not just because they are more convenient but because they stimulate faster bone growth. The more you walk with Stryde or Betzbone, the faster the bone healing will be. With Precise you can't do this safely.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »

Instead of stopping why don't you ask your doctor if you can take a 2 week break and then check bone growth? If it's improving then you continue, otherwise wait for another 2 weeks.

Please ask your doctor about this.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »

Eat more protein and have a balanced diet,if i were you i would take a multivitamin supplement as well,you can also increase your calcium intake up to 1g especially if you need to grow bones,for teenagers the recommended amount of calcium is 1.2g per day,magnesium is important so thats a good point,eat a lot of healthy fat,avocados,olive oil,almonds ( magnesium + fat in it ),and take your supplements while eating a large meal,with some healthy fat
And to be extra safe expose your skin to the sun ( we are in summer so you're should be easily covered ),as even if you take vitamin D through food and supplements,somehow some people can't properly assimilate it,but skin exposure to the sun makes Vitamin D skips the fat absorption issue you have to deal with food
And yes you should at least try to stand on your legs as much as you can just to put some pressure on your legs

Thank you so much I will take this  advice into considerations

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »

I think this post is important for people to understand that weight bearing nails are important not just because they are more convenient but because they stimulate faster bone growth. The more you walk with Stryde or Betzbone, the faster the bone healing will be. With Precise you can't do this safely.
Hey man, does cycling aid bone healing as well? Just curious because walking tires me out super fast.
LON Femur with Dr Buldu

Apollo676

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 06:27:56 PM »

Instead of stopping why don't you ask your doctor if you can take a 2 week break and then check bone growth? If it's improving then you continue, otherwise wait for another 2 weeks.

Yea totally ask with your doc for this,or maybe you could at least reduce your dailly lengthening,improve your diet,and look for an improvement and see how things goes in 2 weeks or even a month depending on your doctor recommendations

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 07:20:58 PM »

I will take an x ray in  a week and see how is thing going, I'm sure if it possible to stop  for 2 weeks  , I will ask him agin any way , Thankx

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 07:31:47 PM »

Sure , I do agree 100% with you its better to wait for Stryde , when I try to walk with walker ( I just tried today ) there is a pain in my right hip   

I will not say I'm regretting  Precise, if someone ask me I will will strongly recommended him for full  weight bearing nails, NOT JUST to avoid poor bone growth , but also you do not want to be several month on the wheelchair , and  if thing went  worse, you might stop on 4 cm plus    wheelchair, and then you should lie to yourself thats worth money and time. 

if we have a latest solutions ( more safe and strong )  why should be go for the    old one ?

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2021, 07:51:59 PM »

Hey man, does cycling aid bone healing as well? Just curious because walking tires me out super fast.

I'm still  searching for  The impact of  cycling  exercise on bone healing but still I did not get any supportive result, if any way dose ?

One more thing my doc mentioned  which   could help weight bearing very safe   is (1) anti gravity treadmill treatment  and (2)underwater treadmill treatment

(1)
(2)

This might be a solution to overcome the weight bearing restrictions on precice nail

* I cloud not fine this treatment close by

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2021, 08:50:48 PM »

he said your weight is fine , but he dos not want to allow me officially, he said  "why should you take a risk , a Precise originally NOT made for weight bearing , thats why they comps up  stryde nail  to overcome with the limit  weight bearing restriction... "

But I think I will take come step with the a assistance of walker .   

What it was originally made for doesn't matter to you.  It was designed by fat Americans for fat Americans, where the average weight is 89 kg.  If it can support you, you should use it to support your weight.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »

I'm still  searching for  The impact of  cycling  exercise on bone healing but still I did not get any supportive result, if any way dose ?

Unlikely since your legs are bearing very little weight when you cycle.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2021, 09:31:04 PM »

What it was originally made for doesn't matter to you.  It was designed by fat Americans for fat Americans, where the average weight is 89 kg.  If it can support you, you should use it to support your weight.

I will try to put more weight bearing  on my legs , last week I even stand without waker  - just stand NOT waking - and  it was fine.
The  only issue now that  I  have pain when I try to walk with walker in my right hip, this is stopping me form weight bearing with walker.

I did not do cycling yet I'm just consider cycling if it would help with healing 

Thank you man again for your helpful posts

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »

"Cycling has a variety of health benefits, however, research has shown that it does not help create strong bones. In fact, depending on the amount of cycling you do, it may even decrease your bone density. So, if your only form of exercise is cycling, you may end up with weaker bones than those who are inactive."

Source
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it/#:~:text=Cycling%20has%20a%20variety%20of,than%20those%20who%20are%20inactive.

Body Builder

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2021, 11:29:05 PM »

You have slow bone healing but still there is a bone bridge so you don't risk a non union.
If time is not a problem, stop lengthening for 2-3 weeks, as someome wrote above, to let your bones heal more and then start lengthening again.
All that time eat good, especially red meat and some greek yoghurt and I believe you could reach more than 6cm.
If someone is a non smoker, generally healthy and not very old, non union is very rare.
So leave some time for your bones to heal better and then continue at a slow lengthening rate, less than 1mm per day (even 0,5mm would be fine for your case).

You may need more time for lengthening but the extra height will stay for all your life.
Doing LL for 4cm simply does not worth.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 02:35:13 AM »

I will try to put more weight bearing  on my legs , last week I even stand without waker  - just stand NOT waking - and  it was fine.
The  only issue now that  I  have pain when I try to walk with walker in my right hip, this is stopping me form weight bearing with walker.

I did not do cycling yet I'm just consider cycling if it would help with healing 

Thank you man again for your helpful posts

Walking isn't necessary for building bone, and it makes one leg have to bear more weight than the other, which is a danger for you with Precise.  I stood in one place as long as I could tolerate it, and did that several times a day.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »

You have slow bone healing but still there is a bone bridge so you don't risk a non union.
If time is not a problem, stop lengthening for 2-3 weeks, as someome wrote above, to let your bones heal more and then start lengthening again.
All that time eat good, especially red meat and some greek yoghurt and I believe you could reach more than 6cm.
If someone is a non smoker, generally healthy and not very old, non union is very rare.
So leave some time for your bones to heal better and then continue at a slow lengthening rate, less than 1mm per day (even 0,5mm would be fine for your case).

You may need more time for lengthening but the extra height will stay for all your life.
Doing LL for 4cm simply does not worth.

this  realistic and optimistic post
I will go back school to teach after  2 months, which I think is good enough to gain the max possible hight, and I do strongly agree that 4 cm is just not worth  time and money, even 5 cm  ( 2 inches ) is  just a minimum satisfactions.  6 cm is great and still safe

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:17 PM »

Walking isn't necessary for building bone, and it makes one leg have to bear more weight than the other, which is a danger for you with Precise.  I stood in one place as long as I could tolerate it, and did that several times a day.

Thank you man, then the problem solved
I can stand  up to 5 mints a at once, I thought only  waking  would help bone growth faster, if this is the case I have no problem to stand 

DreamsComeTrue

Re:[PRECISE NAIL] Should I Stop at 4.5 cm due to poor bone healing ?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 03:56:09 PM »

Hello every one 

my age 33, and my original height is 161 cm  and average hight here in my country is  168 cm .   

I scheduled my femur lengthening using the internal method of a precise nail on  April 28, 2021, my goal was to hit 8 CM. However, the last X-RAY showed poor bone healing, and my Doctor recommended that I stop lengthening at 4 cm or 4.5  ( depends on x- ray scheduled end of this week) .

The Surgery day On April 28 On May 4th, 2021 Start lengthening a 1mm per day On June 3th 2021 Doctor request  me to slow lengthening rage  to .5 mm per day    On June 20 2021 I reach 4 cm.

MY x ray at 3.7   

Hello every one 

my age 33, and my original height is 161 cm  and average hight here in my country  168 cm .   

I scheduled my femur lengthening using the internal method of a precise nail on  April 28, 2021, my goal was to hit 8 CM. However, the last X-RAY showed poor bone healing, and Doctor recommended that I stop lengthening at 4 cm or 4.5  ( depends on x- ray scheduled end of this week) .

The Surgery day On April 28
On May 4th, 2021 Start lengthening a 1mm per day
On June 3th 2021 Doctor request  me to slow lengthening rage  to .5 mm per day
On June 20 2021 I reach 4 cm.
today I reached 4.0

MY x ray at 3.7   

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up