Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I Stop at 4.5 cm due to poor bone healing ?  (Read 8149 times)

DreamsComeTrue

Re: Should I Stop at 4.5 cm due to poor bone healing ?
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 01:20:13 PM »

Definitely looks better than old X-ray
Will you continue lengthening or stop

Now, I'm waiting for my current doc feedback , but  definitely  I want continue lengthening at least to reach 5 cms, and  if possible 6 cms, otherwise 4 cms not really worth it ( even though 4cm  is noticeable and good hight improvement) .  I will be updating you guys  anyway.   

Fiveandsomething

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2021, 07:10:36 AM »

Now, I'm waiting for my current doc feedback , but  definitely  I want continue lengthening at least to reach 5 cms, and  if possible 6 cms, otherwise 4 cms not really worth it ( even though 4cm  is noticeable and good hight improvement) .  I will be updating you guys  anyway.

If everything checks out, try and push to 6. I’m at 4+ and frankly I don’t see it at all. Nowhere near significant enough for me at all.
Meh.

Body Builder

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »

Your x rays now are close to normal.
You can continue lengthening but at a slower rate which is even safer for your soft tissues and lengthen at least 6cm imo.
I really can't see why your doctor would stop you now. You don't have a non alignment or something very serious but slow healing which you can overcome with slow lengthening.

Keep strong.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »

Your x rays now are close to normal.
You can continue lengthening but at a slower rate which is even safer for your soft tissues and lengthen at least 6cm imo.
I really can't see why your doctor would stop you now. You don't have a non alignment or something very serious but slow healing which you can overcome with slow lengthening.

Keep strong.

Thank you  for  supporting

I will take  my next  X -ray on July 24 ( a  whole month after stop lengthening)  and I  think  it will be  normal.
my target is   to reach   6cm with slower rate  and as you said it is even better for my soft tissues.
 I will updating you in few days.

It was a good idea taking a break for a while and I hope my doctor will be okay allowing  me  to continue lengthening.

This kind of Procedure we have to balance between what is idealistic and realistic in terms of time, How much we could length and complications. 

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2021, 12:06:52 AM »

Today X-ray after one month of stopping lengthening 

https://ibb.co/ZxwfDNx
https://ibb.co/rkQDcSf
https://ibb.co/5sGGzFv

According to my x-ray, My current doctor told  me  that the bone healing is much better now, but still, we can't lengthening an extra 0.1 because the bone healing is less than expected and we can redo it after the bone fully healed ( rebreak bone again ).

A Korean doctor I contacted via email last week told me that I should satisfy with the current height and work hard rehabilitation  ( without mentions to reason why?  is it due to bone healing or something else?

Another doctor  I contacted one and half a month ago told me "Yes, the newly formed bone is not good on the right side but not bad for the left side but there is malalignment for the left which should not be increased more than this if you lengthen more".

So, I do not know why all doctor agrees that I should stop lengthening?  Is it due to slow bone healing or do they worry about developing malalignment in the left leg in case of more lengthening? 

Personally, even with 4.2  cms,  at-least , it helps me  to cure height neurosis  , and even though everything went right, I did not want to lengthen more than the safest limit of 6 cm in femur . Therefore, Now to length more I have to wait till the bone fully healed and rebreak bone and do they remain 1.8 cm which is not worth it, also 4.2 not really worth it in term of hight :(  ( yes worth it in terms of to curing  height neurosis :) .

For those who  are  still looking for selecting  LL, doctors put in your mind two things
1)  Lengthening less than 5 cm in tibias, or 6 cm in the femur does NOT guarantee free complications, look at my case,  I   did not even reach the  5 cm femur.

2) doing internal nails (  precise  nail or even stryde   ) is does not mean that you are out of complications.

One more thing, I was thinking complications might occur to someone else, but not for me :), ask yourself: whats make your leg different :)

Finally, I'm not regretting doing LL itself, but I should only do it Only  with  the top notch  LL  doctors NOT orthotics, wait more safe more money but if you do it do it rights

Body Builder

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2021, 08:08:15 AM »

Today X-ray after one month of stopping lengthening 

https://ibb.co/ZxwfDNx
https://ibb.co/rkQDcSf
https://ibb.co/5sGGzFv

According to my x-ray, My current doctor told  me  that the bone healing is much better now, but still, we can't lengthening an extra 0.1 because the bone healing is less than expected and we can redo it after the bone fully healed ( rebreak bone again ).

A Korean doctor I contacted via email last week told me that I should satisfy with the current height and work hard rehabilitation  ( without mentions to reason why?  is it due to bone healing or something else?

Another doctor  I contacted one and half a month ago told me "Yes, the newly formed bone is not good on the right side but not bad for the left side but there is malalignment for the left which should not be increased more than this if you lengthen more".

So, I do not know why all doctor agrees that I should stop lengthening?  Is it due to slow bone healing or do they worry about developing malalignment in the left leg in case of more lengthening? 

Personally, even with 4.2  cms,  at-least , it helps me  to cure height neurosis  , and even though everything went right, I did not want to lengthen more than the safest limit of 6 cm in femur . Therefore, Now to length more I have to wait till the bone fully healed and rebreak bone and do they remain 1.8 cm which is not worth it, also 4.2 not really worth it in term of hight :(  ( yes worth it in terms of to curing  height neurosis :) .

For those who  are  still looking for selecting  LL, doctors put in your mind two things
1)  Lengthening less than 5 cm in tibias, or 6 cm in the femur does NOT guarantee free complications, look at my case,  I   did not even reach the  5 cm femur.

2) doing internal nails (  precise  nail or even stryde   ) is does not mean that you are out of complications.

One more thing, I was thinking complications might occur to someone else, but not for me :), ask yourself: whats make your leg different :)

Finally, I'm not regretting doing LL itself, but I should only do it Only  with  the top notch  LL  doctors NOT orthotics, wait more safe more money but if you do it do it rights
Fully healing and rebreaking is not a sensible option as you should wait months (maybe even a year) and then do another major surgery rebreaking the bone etc and all these for less than 2cm more.

I don't know why all the doctors insist to stop. Malalignment could be a significant reason but I don't see a so major malalignment to not be able to gain 1,5cm more and reach about 6cm.
Poor bone healing is a thing in one of your legs but still nothing so crucial that can't be fixed with slow lenghtening until you reach 6cm and stop.

That said, I am not a doctor but just a veteran that have seem hundreds of x rays though from fellow LLers and of course some of them had worst bone healing than you and still reached 7-8 cm on femurs. Almost all patients that use albizzia craps have worse healing than you and still manage to reach their lengthening target without many problems most of them.
But as I said I am not a doctor so in that case real doctors is what you should trust but always with a bit of skepticism as some of them want to be 100% on the safe side without caring about what the patient wants, especially in a so big operation like LL where every cm wortg for us a lot.

Anyway dude, its your choice. Think carefully, maybe ask for some doctors opinions more and do the right thing.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2021, 06:11:52 PM »

I wouldn't re-break it if I were you.  It's so much trauma to one area.

If you want to do more LL I suggest switching to tibias and going very slowly.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2021, 01:34:58 AM »

Fully healing and rebreaking is not a sensible option as you should wait months (maybe even a year) and then do another major surgery rebreaking the bone etc and all these for less than 2cm more.

I don't know why all the doctors insist to stop. Malalignment could be a significant reason but I don't see a so major malalignment to not be able to gain 1,5cm more and reach about 6cm.
Poor bone healing is a thing in one of your legs but still nothing so crucial that can't be fixed with slow lenghtening until you reach 6cm and stop.

That said, I am not a doctor but just a veteran that have seem hundreds of x rays though from fellow LLers and of course some of them had worst bone healing than you and still reached 7-8 cm on femurs. Almost all patients that use albizzia craps have worse healing than you and still manage to reach their lengthening target without many problems most of them.
But as I said I am not a doctor so in that case real doctors is what you should trust but always with a bit of skepticism as some of them want to be 100% on the safe side without caring about what the patient wants, especially in a so big operation like LL where every cm wortg for us a lot.

Anyway dude, its your choice. Think carefully, maybe ask for some doctors opinions more and do the right thing.

First of all, I would like to thank you again, this post opens hope for me. Personally, I do not see any problem of continue lengthening. But I think my doctor is young  almost 40 or 42, and he did not want to take  any  risk, so the safe mode is to tell me to  stop. Remember, he was telling me NOT to WB thats almost all lengthen period and my weight is 55k  , after I read many daiery with LLers who performed  internal method with a precice nail , most of them was okay to Wb with waker or crutches
    form First week. In my case, I was not allowed , and once I start WB things improved. Now, I wake with crutches, drive a car , go down and upstairs with now problem.

Back to the main issue , the two doctors that  I get a free consulting via email both did not see my recent x-rays . However,  I just asked them in such a way that Should I stop lengthening according to my current doctor's recommendation, or can I   continue lengthening? , also both just varified and follow my doctor's recommendation.

I think they do not want to take responsibility because    I'm Not their Patient, so why on earth should they worry about my case and put effort to deal with non their Patient complications? , if my doctor does not deal with it in the first place? why should they deal with it and follow up for free? These kinds of complications need frequent follow up with a doctor.

I think, I should  visit or contact   respectable LL doctor ( paid consulting ) and just tell them  Her is my x-ray and I want to follow up with you  to deal with this issue. 

I will be updating

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:56:49 AM by DreamsComeTrue »

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2021, 01:50:59 AM »

I wouldn't re-break it if I were you.  It's so much trauma to one area.

If you want to do more LL I suggest switching to tibias and going very slowly.

Your are right, itis make  much sense in case I want break my legs

To be honest,  I do not want  to re-break bone, or redo it in tibias again  , I can't take more loan , break my legs and   ends up a tall  broking  man.  I just want not to be short and  to cure height neurosis  ( which I think I did ) and just need more 1.8cm  to reach 6cm, or at-least 0.8 to reach 5cm . This surgery needs a time and special care, my wife was  very supporting, and I do not want to put her with this situation again.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2021, 03:03:29 AM »

I think, I should  visit or contact   respectable LL doctor ( paid consulting ) and just tell them  Her is my x-ray and I want to follow up with you  to deal with this issue.

I think this is a good idea.  Mention how you weren't bearing weight in the beginning.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2021, 03:03:21 PM »

It’s very possible indeed this was from not using a walker to partially weight bear early on.  My surgeon pushed me to walk 100 steps by the end of week 1 and 500 by end of week 2.  All on walker.  This is important to make sure there is some weight bearing going on even if partial, it’s great for bone growth.

Rebreaking is traumatic, but you could always rebreak in 6 months with another more competent surgeon.  Probably cheap, your soft tissues and muscles will heal and the final few centimeters will be easier, etc.  though rebreaking for only 1.5cm is probably too much trauma for too little reward.

Either way I wish you the best of luck, this was probably not all your body’s fault, partial weight bearing is crucial to basic bone regrowth

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2021, 02:33:47 AM »

I think this is a good idea.  Mention how you weren't bearing weight in the beginning.

Yes,
After reading this post,   I told the surgeon assistance today about my whole case mentioning the weight-bearing issue, already paid the consult fee, and waiting for the doctor's schedule for a phone consult.
 Hopefully, within few days.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2021, 02:59:34 AM »

It’s very possible indeed this was from not using a walker to partially weight bear early on.  My surgeon pushed me to walk 100 steps by the end of week 1 and 500 by end of week 2.  All on walker.  This is important to make sure there is some weight bearing going on even if partial, it’s great for bone growth.

Rebreaking is traumatic, but you could always rebreak in 6 months with another more competent surgeon.  Probably cheap, your soft tissues and muscles will heal and the final few centimeters will be easier, etc.  though rebreaking for only 1.5cm is probably too much trauma for too little reward.

Either way I wish you the best of luck, this was probably not all your body’s fault, partial weight bearing is crucial to basic bone regrowth

You were lucky with a good surgeon, or in other words, you were cautious enough to choose your surgeon.

I realize that the importance of weight-bearing is not only needed for bone growth but also for the entire mental and physical health, being in a wheelchair for the whole lengthening period is simply should not be cons of LL.

I was mad at my doctor for not letting me weight bear early on. Now, I believe if he let me weight bear the first week, then theoretically I could length over 5 cms easily. 

I will wait and see and hope end up this procedure over 5 cm and without breaking legs.
Thank you for your  feeling and support.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2021, 02:47:43 PM »

I have contacted two more doctors at the beginning of August. The first doctor said that the bone formation is weak, which is not recommended to continue for further lengthening, and I should wait for more than three weeks and redo the x-ray, and there is a chance for continue lengthening.

The second doctor has recommended to forgot about lengthening and focus on rehab, and stop smoking.  ( of course, I do not smoke). 

Both doctors are not top LL experts, and one of them is a competitor with my current doctor.

However, after research, I found a Dr. dong hoon who is deal with all kind of nonunion cases which coming from other LL hospital (https://drdonghoon.com/re-operation/nonunion/ ).

In brief, he thinks age is not important for bone formation, and most of the cases ( delay of nonunion cases come from the surgical technique). I will contact him after the next x-ray in few days.

I wonder if my diet ( keto diet ) was a reason for the delayed healing, I just stopped the keto diet two weeks ago. One more  problem, I found after testing my   Testator level for childbearing problems, I found that

(1) testosterone Level is  1.7  ng/ml while the normal range ( 2.2 -10.3 ).
(2) Prolactin Laver is  62   ng/ml while the normal range ( 0.3 -16 ).

I read that low testosterone and a high range of Prolactin affect bone formation  ( had asked my current doctor and he did not answer yet :)

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2021, 12:51:59 AM »

GrowANut

• We'll all make it brahs.
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2021, 03:02:52 AM »

Fnyc

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2021, 06:50:24 AM »

Keto Diet is very high in Vitamin A which is antagonistic to Vitamin D

You should immediately be taking at least 10,000 IU per day of Vitamin D3, 45mg Vitamin K2 MK4, 500mg of magnesium, probably every vitamin and mineral in the book besides A

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2021, 01:14:24 PM »

The bone healing is way better now, but my doctor is not allowing re-lengthening at all. The only way is after bone healed, re-breaking the femur in different levels of the femur  ( not on the same gap ).

I started taking supplements and weight-bearing in the late stage ( after the distractions phase  ), and I do think if my doctor guided me well in terms of weight-bearing and diet, I could at least achieved  5 cms safely.

Currently, I do not think 4.2 cm was worth the procedure. At the same time, I do not think re-breaking legs and t re-lengthening for  2 cm more is worthing. The only consideration is to re-lengthening  3cm more at least. What do you think?

GrowANut

• We'll all make it brahs.
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »

The bone healing is way better now, but my doctor is not allowing re-lengthening at all. The only way is after bone healed, re-breaking the femur in different levels of the femur  ( not on the same gap ).

I started taking supplements and weight-bearing in the late stage ( after the distractions phase  ), and I do think if my doctor guided me well in terms of weight-bearing and diet, I could at least achieved  5 cms safely.

Currently, I do not think 4.2 cm was worth the procedure. At the same time, I do not think re-breaking legs and t re-lengthening for  2 cm more is worthing. The only consideration is to re-lengthening  3cm more at least. What do you think?
Why not try tibias? I think 4.2cm is a very good amount man that's almost 2 inches I'd get 4-5cm on tibias. Re-breaking your femurs seems extremely risky though.

KrP1

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »

UPDATE

here is my today X -RAY
after  2 weeks  from stop  lengthening, and I started  waking  with crutches  almost 10 days ago.   

https://ibb.co/1qjVj8x
https://ibb.co/PtX2hgH
https://ibb.co/L0T94SL

If you rebreak your bones , go for 7/8cm in total.

Body Builder

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »

No reason to fully consolidate now and them do another surgery and rebreak your bones and all this nonsense.
You shouldn't have stopped since your gap started to become thicker and I can't really understand why your doctor insist so much to stop lengthening.
I believe he just wanted to take the money and finish as soon as he could with his patient to save time for other cases.

Anyway, if you rebreak your bones go to another doctor that really want to help you to achieve your  target because clearly the one you have now didn't want.

Activatedxx

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2021, 01:48:45 AM »

No reason to fully consolidate now and them do another surgery and rebreak your bones and all this nonsense.
You shouldn't have stopped since your gap started to become thicker and I can't really understand why your doctor insist so much to stop lengthening.
I believe he just wanted to take the money and finish as soon as he could with his patient to save time for other cases.

Anyway, if you rebreak your bones go to another doctor that really want to help you to achieve your  target because clearly the one you have now didn't want.

Yeah you’re fine bro, as long as there is union even if it’s slow it doesn’t matter. Go for 6-6.5 at least. Your recovery might be longer because of your slow bone healing, but non union is when there is no growth for 8 months I believe, so I you do have union even if slow
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2021, 05:03:27 PM »

"This is not a problem with the PRECICE nail since it has complete rate control. Poor bone healing can be recognized during the lengthening process. Once it is recognized, the rate of distraction can be slowed. With the PRECICE the lengthening can be reduced to any level or even stopped. If despite these changes, the bone healing remains poor, the lengthening can be reversed until better bone formation is seen"

https://paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening/complications/#/

The attached image is today x-ray after two and half months of stop lengthening.

https://ibb.co/y6XCBDs

The doctor told me first palace that I can't be lengthening, and I had to stop due to poor bone healing which  makes sense in the beginning. Then a month latter , he told me the same thing.

I had consulted four doctors, and all agreed that I should not lengthen ( that's was one and a half months ago).

The last x-ray was fine after good nutrition  and weight -bearing , and my doctor told me that I impossible because the regenerated bone started to harden.

What is makes me mad is not about reaching the target as to why he did not allow me to lengthen 0.8 mm to reach 5 cm, I was asked I just need to reach 5 at least !! , if the bone is not healing well, and now  the bone is healed where I can't lengthening then there is must be a stage where the bone okay lengthens 8.mm even with .5  or 0.25 rate a day .

One more thing I had not mention, I had just noticed in the doctor report before the surgery is my right femur is shorter than the left one by almost 6 cm, and he never talked about it, and we did lengthen all 4.2 cm.

My right leg is not as good in function as the left one, plus the bone formation is less, and  I think this is due to the surgical technique where to worry about and just want to tell that's my body fault.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2021, 07:52:13 PM »

Now just doctor told me that  there is no improvement  in the  right leg and we should wait one month and mostly we need re surgery   to solve nonunion issue in the right leg
I'm really for the first time in bad mode and just want get out of this persuader safely, I even get feel of regret why should I involved with such persuader.
man this is not easy thing to do

Body Builder

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2021, 10:06:22 PM »

Now just doctor told me that  there is no improvement  in the  right leg and we should wait one month and mostly we need re surgery   to solve nonunion issue in the right leg
I'm really for the first time in bad mode and just want get out of this persuader safely, I even get feel of regret why should I involved with such persuader.
man this is not easy thing to do
I think you should talk to another doctor to continue with him, like Giotikas.
Your doctor seems not trustworthy to me and for sure not capable as he wasn't even able to finish an LL.of 5cm with precise which has reverse shortening.

Shatter. Gee. 11

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2021, 06:44:54 AM »

Your doctor seems not trustworthy to me and for sure not capable as he wasn't even able to finish an LL.of 5cm with precise which has reverse shortening.

I don't think it's the surgeon's fault tbh. If his body doesn't grow bone what can the surgeon do.
Height now 166 cm
Desired Height 177 cm

Plan- LON tibia 6 cm, LON femur 5 cm

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2021, 03:19:15 PM »

Yes, I lost trust in this doctor

I already talked to another doctor who told me that' how come my doctor told me the first time that I  can reach 8 cms safely as the best case  I should not exceed the length of 20% of original femur length, which is 8 cms even way too high for my case.

one more thing, he should perform tibia instead of the femur as the ratio goes for tibia, or I will end up out of proportion and exceed the 20% safe limit.

However, he recommends that not worth it to re-breaking the femur again, and he wonders why my doctor not considering precise shortening, which has a reverse shortening feature.

DreamsComeTrue

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2021, 08:47:38 PM »

Yes, I lost trust in this doctor

I already talked to another doctor who told me that' how come my doctor told me the first time that I  can reach 8 cms safely as the best case  I should not exceed the length of 20% of original femur length, which is 8 cms even way too high for my case.

one more thing, he should perform tibia instead of the femur as the ratio goes for tibia, or I will end up out of proportion and exceed the 20% safe limit.

However, he recommends that not worth it to re-breaking the femur again, and he wonders why my doctor not considering precise shortening, which has a reverse shortening feature.

I mean if I had this procedure with good doctor, in best case I could reach 5.5 or might  6 cm but 8 without exceed 20% and not going out of proportion very much

Michael J. Assayag, MD

• Limb Lengthening Orthopedic Surgeon from ICLL
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:08 PM »

I don't think it's the surgeon's fault tbh. If his body doesn't grow bone what can the surgeon do.

Both technical mistakes during surgery, poor decision making during the process, implant factors and patient factors can participate to poor bone formation.
Dr. Michael J Assayag MD FRCSC
Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgeon
http://www.heightrx.com https://www.limblength.org/conditions/short-stature
massayag@lifebridgehealth.org
IG @bonelengthening

Activatedxx

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2021, 11:55:10 PM »

Didn’t grow bone because surgeon didn’t let him partial weightbear

Also looks like break wasn’t done properly and caused some alignment concern
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

Shatter. Gee. 11

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2021, 02:05:03 AM »

Both technical mistakes during surgery, poor decision making during the process, implant factors and patient factors can participate to poor bone formation.
Thanks good doc
Height now 166 cm
Desired Height 177 cm

Plan- LON tibia 6 cm, LON femur 5 cm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up