Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: whens stryde coming back  (Read 5256 times)

dreamingtall

whens stryde coming back
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:29:53 PM »

:/
Starting Height: 170.68cm; Goal Height: 182cm in two separate operations (^8cm Femurs, ^5cm Tibias)

Apollo676

Re: whens stryde coming back
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:31:39 PM »

End 2022,or maybe beginning 2023,apparently the nail has to be remade from scratch

overandover

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »

:/

Never, Assayag said end of 2022 or 23 but in a different form. Maybe they'll release another nail and stryde will never return.

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 02:35:16 AM »

When will the corrosive, toxic nail that can potentially kill or leave you in pain for indefinite amount of time coming back guys?
Please, I can’t read!
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

RB

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 03:10:20 AM »

When will the corrosive, toxic nail that can potentially kill or leave you in pain for indefinite amount of time coming back guys?
Please, I can’t read!

Lol so true. I find it so ironic that this forum continues to suck off nuvasive and stryde despite clear findings that stryde is a problematic and potentially dangerous nail while bashing doctors like Betz and Buldu. Just because nuvasive is a big American company does not mean they should be supported regardless of what issues are discovered with their products. Stryde was the perfect option (so it seemed) prior to these findings but people need to move on and consider other options now.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

Worzezterlire

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 03:13:33 AM »

Precise 2.2 really isn’t THAT bad.  I have it in me now.  No corrosion history, in fact a decade of successful use with no issues on a wide scale.  I know it SUCKS to not walk on your own, but I’ve already adjusted to life around this.  Even if I was working in the office I might be able to figure it out.

The Stryde recall is looking more and more like something that was extremely necessary.

Highest

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 03:18:02 AM »

Does anyone know why Stryde wasn't made from the same material as the Betz nail?

RB

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 03:39:05 AM »

Does anyone know why Stryde wasn't made from the same material as the Betz nail?

They were originally considering using cobalt chrome (material for Betzbone) for Stryde but stated that they went with stainless steel as they claim it is less toxic which in hindsight is also very ironic considering it only seems to be Stryde patients reporting persistent pain 1 year after the surgery and also presenting with heavy corrosion. If they had gone with cobalt chrome from the start they could have avoided this recall imo.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

AimHigh

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 07:30:25 AM »

Yeah, Precice was ok, but I did manage to bend mine , I only weighed 62 kg at the time, however it was maxed out at 8cm and I was chasing around a 3 year old....
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

5ft5

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 07:53:02 AM »

Yeah, Precice was ok, but I did manage to bend mine , I only weighed 62 kg at the time, however it was maxed out at 8cm and I was chasing around a 3 year old....

How serious was the bend? Taking out a bent rod is very gruesome from what I have seen on youtube.

TinyTL

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »

stryde was a game changer. i dont think I would have had LL done if it hadnt been for Strydes weightbearing capability.

As soon as it hit the europe market I booked appointment to have it inserted.
When i look back, knowing this corrosion thing, Im happy I did it. I would have done it again knowing it can corrode.
The pain of having height neurosis was worse

Worzezterlire

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 03:19:44 PM »

Ouch!  So you bent it at 8cm while consolidating?  From what I heard that’s where it’s the weakest.  Sorry to hear…

fewinches

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 09:50:24 PM »

Cyborg 4 Life's interview with Dr. Paley about the STRYDE nail and its recall incase anyone hasn't seen it already. He also talks about possible timeframes for the return. "Optimistically: September [2021], Realistically: January [2022]".

Height: 164cm
Wingspan: ~170-172cm

AimHigh

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 02:47:59 AM »

Thx Man, Yeah I bent the rod whilst consolidating, it is obviously most prone to bending at Max extension. I was due to return to work in 2 weeks, so I had to have emergency surgery to install a solid rod and an absolute overkill 30 cm plate !!(I begged the arrogant surgeon not to install this plate), any ways the large plate tore up my tendon and left a horrible long scar when I begged him to remove it 3 months later.
A year later I was still suffering with limited knee ROM, I went back to my surgeon he took and MRI !! and told me I would have 120 deg ROM and pain lifelong and to just get used to it, I didnt settle for that answer from my"brilliant" Australian surgeon. I organised my own XRays and found he had mistakenly (guess he couldn't find a ruler in the OR )installed a too long screw through at the distal femur, as a result I had 6 mm of nasty screw point painfully gouging  into my lateral tendon/TFL  every time I tried to bend my knee. I had the screw removed by a local ortho surgeon for bascially nothing after insurance, I didn't even inform the other "expert", He was charging me thousands every time he attempted to fix his own mess !.
I still have a sore and at times stiff knee (if I dont maintain my stretching routine), but at least now I have a close  to normal ~ 138 deg rom which helps when squatting/picking up things/kids from low heights.
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

V21

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 07:52:17 AM »

Thx Man, Yeah I bent the rod whilst consolidating, it is obviously most prone to bending at Max extension. I was due to return to work in 2 weeks, so I had to have emergency surgery to install a solid rod and an absolute overkill 30 cm plate !!(I begged the arrogant surgeon not to install this plate), any ways the large plate tore up my tendon and left a horrible long scar when I begged him to remove it 3 months later.
A year later I was still suffering with limited knee ROM, I went back to my surgeon he took and MRI !! and told me I would have 120 deg ROM and pain lifelong and to just get used to it, I didnt settle for that answer from my"brilliant" Australian surgeon. I organised my own XRays and found he had mistakenly (guess he couldn't find a ruler in the OR )installed a too long screw through at the distal femur, as a result I had 6 mm of nasty screw point painfully gouging  into my lateral tendon/TFL  every time I tried to bend my knee. I had the screw removed by a local ortho surgeon for bascially nothing after insurance, I didn't even inform the other "expert", He was charging me thousands every time he attempted to fix his own mess !.
I still have a sore and at times stiff knee (if I dont maintain my stretching routine), but at least now I have a close  to normal ~ 138 deg rom which helps when squatting/picking up things/kids from low heights.
You said you were chasing your son. Could you please elaborate on what you speciffically did in order to bend the nail? I'm a bit paranoic about it, but I just will use walker at most.

Going-For-Three

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »

Please, I can’t read!
Last I read, they haven't found any bad outcomes from the stryde nail because of those reasons and literally every surgeon has been open about it being safe.

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »

Last I read, they haven't found any bad outcomes from the stryde nail because of those reasons and literally every surgeon has been open about it being safe.

Giotikas said around 5% of patients experience pain due to the rusting. This is an extremely high complication rate for a medical device, hence why the recall was so swift and thorough.

It is an intractable problem because Stryde in its current form must have iron, since its lengthening mechanism is magnetic. Sealed compartments still results in corrosive bodily liquids from seeping in.

Design changes will most certainly happen before it comes back to the market.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Highest

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 11:35:29 AM »

It is an intractable problem because Stryde in its current form must have iron, since its lengthening mechanism is magnetic. Sealed compartments still results in corrosive bodily liquids from seeping in.

Design changes will most certainly happen before it comes back to the market.

Does this mean that it can't be remade in cobalt chrome and have the mechanism work?

AimHigh

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »

I was only lightweight, and 2.2 weight bearing limit is underrated imho , to be more clear my rod did not actually bend, the sliding and fixed rods became non-parallel (~5% deviation) and frail because of a failure (crack) of the crown gear collar i.e the collar at the junction of the inner and outer rods.
The "bending" occured maybe 4 weeks into consolidation, my callus was good, but I was doing too much to soon...
My 3 year old grandson is autistic, I would need at times to forcefully fully weight bear and multiply the force on my implant in attempting to move fast to keep him away from dangerous things/situations.

Dark

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »

Based on the usual pattern of these companies over-promise and under-deliver, I wouldn't be surprised if it returns in mid/late 2023

Plus, most of the LL doctors in the world are gonna try to order the Stryde nails when it's back, we're looking at another year of backorders + delivery time + consultation etc before the surgery can be done

Abbot

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2021, 12:43:53 AM »

Agree.  Nuvasive is not the panacea for IM nails.  Fit Bone worked very well for me.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 12:50:54 AM »

Based from talking to my surgeon, it depends a lot on what each of the regulatory bodies requires from Nuvasive to be considered “fixed”.  That’s not really clear to many of the surgeons now so it’s kind of unknown.  It could be on time, ahead of schedule, it might be redesigned or not come back at all.  From what it sounds like, making any plans around Stryde will not work out how you planned them.  I mean just look at how its progressed so far: first it was a short recall, then a recall to end of year, and now its 2022/2023.

If you can handle the lifestyle of Precise 2.2, I can assure you it’s not a bad alternative.  It’s not like it’s going back to the stone ages.  I’m not weightbearing but I’m living life mostly normally right now otherwise.  You adapt quickly.

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 09:57:58 PM »

Does this mean that it can't be remade in cobalt chrome and have the mechanism work?

The nail itself can be made of cobalt chrome. However it will always contain a ferrous compartment for the magnetic lengthening device to work. Remember it takes energy to lengthen the nail. Betz does it by making the patient mechnically rotate the nail, by twisting the leg. Stryde/Precise uses electricity to create magnitism to push out the nail (similar to how magnets of the same/different pole repel/attract each other).

Victor's most recent interview with Paley suggests a design change is most likely. This means another FDA approval. The man himself said early 2023 is most likely. Just forget about Stryde.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

overandover

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 06:28:01 AM »

The nail itself can be made of cobalt chrome. However it will always contain a ferrous compartment for the magnetic lengthening device to work. Remember it takes energy to lengthen the nail. Betz does it by making the patient mechnically rotate the nail, by twisting the leg. Stryde/Precise uses electricity to create magnitism to push out the nail (similar to how magnets of the same/different pole repel/attract each other).

Victor's most recent interview with Paley suggests a design change is most likely. This means another FDA approval. The man himself said early 2023 is most likely. Just forget about Stryde.

He said end of 23 not early.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »

He said end of 23 not early.

I’ve heard similar pessimism from Dr Debiparshad as well.  He also said there’s a small chance they can make minor changes and get out earlier.  Also a chance “Stryde” isn’t coming back at all.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »

It looks like the "heyday" of cosmetic limb lengthening in western countries only lasted two years. I hope there's a weight bearing internal solution in the near future for those who want to have an easier time doing it solo.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

V21

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »

I just hope Precice is back on Europe by September

las vegas baby

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 06:15:45 PM »

I just hope Precice is back on Europe by September

V21 I feel your pain bro  ;D

10cmOnTibiaOrGTFO

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 10:21:59 PM »

just kys aready theres no point in living. you re all just suffering

las vegas baby

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2021, 06:52:47 AM »

V21 sorry bro  I put the smile emoji because of the funny state were in with stryde gone, precice randomly repeatedly delayed in some countries especially after some have booked the procedure

I truly feel your anguish and wish that you get  precice in september or sooner

Highest

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2021, 02:14:47 AM »

Update

Dr. Debiparshad states in this video that Stryde nail will not be back for 12-18 months.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up