Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Effect of antibiotics during lengthening  (Read 332 times)

Dark

Effect of antibiotics during lengthening
« on: July 03, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »

I did LON femur in May.
I had an infection on one of my pinsites for the past 35ish days, where I was given a RIF shot during every one of my bandage changes. The pain from the infection would go away for a few days, but the infection remains unchanged.
Today I was given Cipro (Ciprofloxacin), an antibiotic. I've heard discussions saying antibiotic would hinder bone healing, but I am also sick and tired of the infection. I was told to take it every day until my removal of the fixator in ~20 days.
Anyone here has information related to the effect of antibiotics during lengthening? and whether it does impact bone healing?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Effect of antibiotics during lengthening
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 06:00:25 PM »

I have never heard anything about antibiotics causing a problem for bone healing.

NSAIDs are anti-inflammatory medications, and bone growth is an inflammatory process, so they affect things.  Antibiotics aren't anti-inflammatory.

Dark

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »

appreciate the info!

HeightGain

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »

I know there are animal studies that suggest cipro affects bone healing. Your orthopaedic doctor who prescribed it should be well aware of this

Fiveandsomething

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 08:51:28 PM »

I did LON femur in May.
I had an infection on one of my pinsites for the past 35ish days, where I was given a RIF shot during every one of my bandage changes. The pain from the infection would go away for a few days, but the infection remains unchanged.
Today I was given Cipro (Ciprofloxacin), an antibiotic. I've heard discussions saying antibiotic would hinder bone healing, but I am also sick and tired of the infection. I was told to take it every day until my removal of the fixator in ~20 days.
Anyone here has information related to the effect of antibiotics during lengthening? and whether it does impact bone healing?

Aye I’m on cipro...second week and I still have pinsite infection. I think it’s inevitable, they’re minor infections but I hate injection. I’ve had it 5 times in a row now
Meh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up