Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple support devices to help weight bear with Precice  (Read 444 times)

New York Gal

• Visitor
Simple support devices to help weight bear with Precice
« on: July 05, 2021, 08:02:07 AM »

Okay, so you get your femurs broken, and a weak rod (Precice) implanted to keep everything together. If you walk on it or even stand, the rod can't support your weight, so it might break.

But is it so hard to put some support device around the leg to help offload the nail?

Here is an example

but this works only for offloading the tibia and works only if you have one leg to offload.

New York Gal

• Visitor
Re: Simple support devices to help weight bear with Precice
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »

I think if you're getting Precice tibias you can use Freedom Leg on both legs lol. There is also iWalk 2.0, an alternative to Freedom Leg.

I think achieving the same with femurs isn't easy. Is this a reason to get Precice tibias instead of femurs?  ;D

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 03:12:58 PM »

Unless you're very heavy, Precise will not break just because you stand.  Compare your weight to the weight limit on the nails.

Worzezterlire

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 04:00:58 PM »

Unless you're very heavy, Precise will not break just because you stand.  Compare your weight to the weight limit on the nails.

Yeah, Dr D even made me stand without any support for a minute to do standing X Rays.  You shouldn’t stand all day but it doesn’t magically break at 1 pound over weight.  I put 75-80lbs per nail of weight on each if I stand and mine technically supports 50lbs per nail.  I mean in order to even use the walker you have to stand for a brief moment while you move the walker.

I’m going to get some of those fancy elbow crutches.  It’s not as fancy as what you suggest in OP but it alleviates the issues of regular crunches or walkers.  Getting sick of the walker already

New York Gal

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »

We should follow the limits as per Nuvasive. Some docs might allow us to put more weight, but we all know it's the patient who will suffer if there is nail bending or break. If you are unlucky you might even get the 25lb nail which is almost nothing.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was to think of ways in which femur (or tibia) precice patients can offload their nails and still stand and walk with increased safety. One expensive solution would be to use exoskeletons which paraplegics use to walk. But there might a cheaper solution if you can move your legs, but just aren't allowed to bear weight on them.

zidank

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 08:51:14 PM »

This may work

Knee Support Brace,Hip Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis Leg Fracture, Lower Limb Paralysis, Hip Walking Fixed with Walking Boots Brace Knee Surgery Ligament Support 917 (Color : Right) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCRWYBL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XTBNY9KZ28SZF4KW3E80
Pages: [1]   Go Up