Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I trust a doctor to do LON If he is only experienced in Ilizarov method  (Read 439 times)

Elgato97

• Visitor

I want to do LON with a doctor who have done only 3, but successful surgeries yet. On the other side, he has done many classic external surgeries from 5 to even 10 cm in one segment. The reason why I want to choose him is because of the cheapness of the surgery with him and because he is living in my home  country. My goal would be to do 8 cm in femur. Do you think If the doctor is proficient in Ilizarov method he can be trusted to do the LON method?

Thehighest

Is he a trauma surgeon or only cosmetic? I mean if he has experience with accidents, fractures and those things inserted an internal nail is not a big problem becuase they are used to do it frequently for hemmilemas in the tibia for example.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Has he done intermedullary nails without Ilizarovs?  If he has experience doing those, it's not a stretch of his abilities to do LON.

Elgato97

• Visitor

He is orthopedic surgeon (mostly cosmetic, because most of his pa :Dtients came to fix leg deformities) and has done only 3 LON surgeries. He has never done only intetnal surgeries. Unfortunately I only know that these 3 surgeries were successful, but don't know about any complications during surgeries. And also almost all of his surgeries were done in tibia

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

If he's licensed and has a good reputation, I'd go for it.

Elgato97

• Visitor

Thanks for the reply. Do you think full external tibia is very different than LON femur?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Oh, sorry.  I overlooked the part about femurs.  Whenever I see LON or external I usually assume tibias.

Yes, those are very different.  Don't get LON femur even from Paley.

Elgato97

• Visitor

Wow. I am hearing about it the first time. Could you please explain the reason for this? And as I understood doing full externals on femur is even more dangerous.

Body Builder

Wow. I am hearing about it the first time. Could you please explain the reason for this? And as I understood doing full externals on femur is even more dangerous.
On femurs you should do only fully internals.
LON or fully externals are not an option and no respectable doctor do it.

For LON your only option are tibias, nothing else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up