Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for people who had doctor break legs again to get last cm or 2 in nail  (Read 295 times)

SpeedDialer

Hey mods! Please delete this if you need to, I thought it was a good question but maybe it is redundant.

Let's say you want to do internal tibia and femur back to back with a month of each other or something in between w/ Precise 2.2 such as with Giotikas. To decrease risk, you want to lengthen less at first. And then you want to break your tibia or femur again later to get the last cm or so on the device so you have 6 cm on tibia and 7 cm on femur in total.

1. What is the safest split to do this? 6 cm tibia/5cm femur first and then rebreak for the last two cms on femur later? 4 cm tibia/7 cm femur first and then the last 2cm on tibia later? Something else?

2. If you do a rebreak strategy like this, what is the recommended time to wait between recovering and doing the rebreak?

3. If you want to do a rebreak, what are your best options price and safety wise if you are an American? Ex: is it cheaper/better to do a rebreak close to home in an American city (maybe like a 5 hour drive from my home) or is it cheaper to fly to India to do it with Parihar? Does he do rebreaks? Would you need to stay in India the whole time for the rebreak?

4. Is this rebreak strategy actually safer than just doing 6 cm tibia and 7 cm femur back to back?

Want-3-inches

Hey SpeedDialer, I think you should really consult with doctors at this point. Either travel or do video consults. You have very specific questions and you need real expert answers. You can't think "I'll do the consultation a week before surgery anyway, so why do it now". This stuff requires years of planning and it's a good idea to take expert opinions while creating a plan. Don't rely on the forum only.

Please do come back and post your answers to help others.

Worzezterlire

One thing to add is that rebreaking is not something you should do unless you HAVE to do it.  It’s another surgery with opened scars, small risk of fat embolism even with advanced techniques, and swelling and intense pain for a week after.  It’s possibly the most dangerous part of the entire operation with Precise 2.2.  Femurs are more dangerous to rebreak since they carry a higher risk of fat embolism.

You’ll probably be fine with a good doctor and facility, and with modern techniques the risk is very low.  But rebreaking is not something to speak about so lightly… I was at risk of having to rebreak my femurs at 5cm because my hamstrings were so tight, but fortunately they loosened up with intense PT and I avoided it and will hit 8cm very soon.  The surgeon really wanted me to work hard to avoid the rebreak scenario.

SpeedDialer

ty HobbitMan!!!

So my concern is that I heard that doing tibia and femur back to back is dangerous. Giotikas allows patients to do them w/ like 3 weeks in between or something, not sure

Is doing 6 cm tibia and then 3 weeks later doing 7 cm femur right after dangerous?

Is it significantly safer to do 6 cm tibia, wait 3 weeks, then do 4 cm femur right after?

What would you do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up