Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.5 Cm Femurs with Dr. Giotikas and G-Nail.  (Read 27318 times)

V21

5.5 Cm Femurs with Dr. Giotikas and G-Nail.
« on: August 14, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »

Hey guys, I have been posting in the forum for a good while, and finally my surgery's date is close. I'm doing femurs G-Nail with Giotikas on August 25th, and I'm flying to Greece tomorrow. Since Giotikas has just started to use G-Nail, I hope this diary is useful to others. Feel free to use me as a guinea pig!

About me

I'm a 24 year old male from Spain. I apologize for my bad English, as it's not my main language. My height is 172 cm, just a few cm under the average in my country. To be honest, my reasons are a bit different in comparison to other users. My height has never been a problem to me regarding success with women, business, sports... in fact I was just 168 when I started dating my current girlfriend, who is a 170 cm model. In my case, the issue is that I tend to get obssesed with achieving certain goals. This is good for things like businesess and sports, but definitely a problem when it involves something like height. 5 years ago, I got obsessed with reaching 175 cm. I was 168 and did a lot of crazy things that got me to 172 (nothing magical, I just managed to get to my "genetic limit). However, that was not enough, and I kept trying even crazier things with 0 success (for example weighted inverted crunches).

I don't expect people to understand it, and I'm aware this is completely irrational, but my failure to get to 175 cm has affected me really hard and I have been suffering from depression and other problems. In fact, I almost never leave my house because I'm always comparing my height to literally everyone. This year I decided that I want to get my life back, so I chose to get this crazy surgery in order to be over 175 and forget about height forever.

Why G-Nail?

I had Stryde surgery booked earlier this year, and it got cancelled. Then I chose Precice for June, and it got cancelled too. Nuvasive said July, then August, now September... and they keep delaying things. I trust Giotikas as a doctor and I know a few guys who had excellent results with another mechanical nails (Betzbone), so I have decided to take the risk of choosing G-Nail and do this on August. I do understand I'm choosing the less conservative option, but I have to resume online work in late September (it's my own bussiness, but lots of important clients on those dates). For that reason, my options were to do G-Nail or to delay this for December, so I chose to take the risk. I know 2 other guys who are doing G-Nail too this month.

My training

I'm a very fit guy, and I have competed on boxing and kickboxing. Athletic recovery is very important for me, and that's why I will not go over 6 cm. In January, I was really heavy (85 kg), so I stopped heavy lifting and started dieting. Now I'm at 73 kg, which is great. My original flexibility was average, but I have been training a lot and now I can touch the ground with my palms.

Things I have bought

Up to this point, I have been taking Vitamin D. I have also bought a massage gun, a chair for bathing and some pedals to bike from a chair. If any of you has any advice about useful items, please let me know.

That's all for now, I will update as soon as I'm in Greece¡

slender

• Visitor
Re: 5.5 Cm Femurs with Dr. Giotikas and G-Nail.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 06:16:33 PM »

Way to take the leap! We're all rooting for you.

This diary is going to be huge as there is a ton of people interested in the Gnail option with Giotikas.

While not an item you can purchase per say (unless you want to spend 20-30k) I would take advantage of the fact that Giotikas has the AlterG treadmill at his disposal. I've heard really good things about it, especially in the early phases of distraction/post surgery.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to go from 168 to 172cm? A 1-2cm gain could be understandable but 4cm is a crazy amount to gain through non-LL means! I'm quite interested haha

Good luck sir!
Betz 2022

eric.cartman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:21:23 PM »

Good luck! The doctor will give you a shower chair, crutches and wheel chair - it's included.

V21

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:25:47 PM »

Good lucky! The doctor will give you a shower chair, crutches and wheel chair - it's included.
Lol man, thanks for telling me, I ordered it via amazon and I'm in time to cancel it.

V21

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 06:32:58 PM »

Way to take the leap! We're all rooting for you.

This diary is going to be huge as there is a ton of people interested in the Gnail option with Giotikas.

While not an item you can purchase per say (unless you want to spend 20-30k) I would take advantage of the fact that Giotikas has the AlterG treadmill at his disposal. I've heard really good things about it, especially in the early phases of distraction/post surgery.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to go from 168 to 172cm? A 1-2cm gain could be understandable but 4cm is a crazy amount to gain through non-LL means! I'm quite interested haha

Good luck sir!

I just did things that caused a massive HGH spike, and my growth plates were open because I was 19 year old. So I got on an extreme regime of stretching, sprinting, fasting... I know lots of people may think it was just because I was young and it would have happened anyway, but I had not grown for 3 years. I did all that and I got 4 cm in like 2-3 months. I think it only helped me to get to my "highest", and I think I would not have gotten there if I had not done those things. Of course, I kept trying for years after that and I did not gain a single mm more.

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 08:40:57 PM »

@V21

You will have to rotate your bone around the nail where the bone is cut by a certain amount 15-25 degrees.

To activate you sit with your leg holding your thigh above the bone cut really tight and then yourself or with the aid of someone else below takes your bent knee and rotates it backwards and forwards. Then the nail/rod should rotate which effects lengthening. How uncomfortable/painless is this I guess individual, guys who have used the Bezt bone could add to clarify.

A risk is rate control (movement whilst sleeping, movements which may lead to unknowingly lengthening of the bone) which may effect bone and nerve healing.

Also you may believe that you do the correct rotational (lengthening) movements and then you go for your next scan and it shows no lengthening therefore you my consolidate early. (This is where the magnetic nails come in).

The guys who have shared their recent Betz experiences do not mention these complications apart from the IT band stuff and the nails appear to be quite similar and I remember you mentioned something about 2% complication rate with "Guichet" nail.

But maybe ask Dr Giotikas

How do you control the rate?
How do you ensure the ratcheting is working?
What happens if you lengthen to much?

Also try to avoid using an epidural to learn to lengthen. :D

All the best

RB

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 11:57:30 PM »

All the best of luck man, happy to see a mechanical nail Giotikas diary. With a goal of 5-6cm you will do very well.

@V21

You will have to rotate your bone around the nail where the bone is cut by a certain amount 15-25 degrees.

To activate you sit with your leg holding your thigh above the bone cut really tight and then yourself or with the aid of someone else below takes your bent knee and rotates it backwards and forwards. Then the nail/rod should rotate which effects lengthening. How uncomfortable/painless is this I guess individual, guys who have used the Bezt bone could add to clarify.

A risk is rate control (movement whilst sleeping, movements which may lead to unknowingly lengthening of the bone) which may effect bone and nerve healing.

Also you may believe that you do the correct rotational (lengthening) movements and then you go for your next scan and it shows no lengthening therefore you my consolidate early. (This is where the magnetic nails come in).

The guys who have shared their recent Betz experiences do not mention these complications apart from the IT band stuff and the nails appear to be quite similar and I remember you mentioned something about 2% complication rate with "Guichet" nail.

But maybe ask Dr Giotikas

How do you control the rate?
How do you ensure the ratcheting is working?
What happens if you lengthen to much?

Also try to avoid using an epidural to learn to lengthen. :D

All the best

I can speak for Betzbone and I imagine it is similar with G nail.

-Each back and forth click is equivalent to 0.052mm so you know exactly how much length you gained per lengthening session.
-If you hear a click, the ratcheting is working. It is quite a distinctive, loud type of click which is easy to identify. As long as patients have been able to click, I haven't heard of any preconsolidation issues. If anything I have seen several stryde diaries where magnetic nails did not lengthen properly.
-It is quite hard to do accidental clicks with mechanical nails due to the unnatural movement you have to do. I did about 5-6 accidental clicks in total right after I finished lengthening as I was moving my legs way more but since then I haven't done any and I have enough consolidation to where it's not an issue.

Hope this helps.
Femurs with Dr. Betz - March 2021
5'4" > 5'7.5"
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66296.0

slender

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 12:45:29 AM »

I just did things that caused a massive HGH spike, and my growth plates were open because I was 19 year old. So I got on an extreme regime of stretching, sprinting, fasting... I know lots of people may think it was just because I was young and it would have happened anyway, but I had not grown for 3 years. I did all that and I got 4 cm in like 2-3 months. I think it only helped me to get to my "highest", and I think I would not have gotten there if I had not done those things. Of course, I kept trying for years after that and I did not gain a single mm more.

Thats quite interesting! I didn't think you could naturally spike/hack your growth like that at 19, even if the growth plates were open. The more you know haha!

Betz 2022

slender

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 12:48:20 AM »

All the best of luck man, happy to see a mechanical nail Giotikas diary. With a goal of 5-6cm you will do very well.

I can speak for Betzbone and I imagine it is similar with G nail.

-Each back and forth click is equivalent to 0.052mm so you know exactly how much length you gained per lengthening session.
-If you hear a click, the ratcheting is working. It is quite a distinctive, loud type of click which is easy to identify. As long as patients have been able to click, I haven't heard of any preconsolidation issues. If anything I have seen several stryde diaries where magnetic nails did not lengthen properly.
-It is quite hard to do accidental clicks with mechanical nails due to the unnatural movement you have to do. I did about 5-6 accidental clicks in total right after I finished lengthening as I was moving my legs way more but since then I haven't done any and I have enough consolidation to where it's not an issue.

Hope this helps.

@RB - In your experience does the 15-25 degrees that is pitched seem reasonable? Or does it feel like a lot more distance to cover when you're actually doing it. Loved your diary btw, thanks for all the insight on BetzBone and mechanical nails.
Betz 2022

RB

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 05:24:24 AM »

@RB - In your experience does the 15-25 degrees that is pitched seem reasonable? Or does it feel like a lot more distance to cover when you're actually doing it. Loved your diary btw, thanks for all the insight on BetzBone and mechanical nails.

At the beginning of lengthening when the nail is at its stiffest it feels like a long way to rotate your leg. But when the pain decreases and the nail loosens up, its a very easy motion to complete. For example after 3-3.5cm it only took me about 2 minutes to click per leg.

No problem man, glad to be able to help.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 05:55:21 AM »

At the beginning of lengthening when the nail is at its stiffest it feels like a long way to rotate your leg. But when the pain decreases and the nail loosens up, its a very easy motion to complete. For example after 3-3.5cm it only took me about 2 minutes to click per leg.

No problem man, glad to be able to help.

Were you aware of anyone requiring assistance to help them click the nail to lengthen?I have read some patients were put to sleep to extend the nail.

V21

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »

Hey guys, just arrived in Athens. I will update in the next few days, I'm quite tired right now. Standing for hours with lots of people in airport and bus are quite a challenge because of my height dysphoria lol. The apartment I got is quite nice. The only problem is that the elevator door may be a little small (for whelchair), but I have to check that.

slender

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 07:40:42 PM »

Lets go! Only a couple more days until you can start curing that dysphoria!
Betz 2022

slender

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »

The only problem is that the elevator door may be a little small (for whelchair), but I have to check that.

Should only be a problem for the first couple days until you start walking on crutches.
Betz 2022

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »

Good luck! Giotikas is a fantastic doctor. :)
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

V21

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 04:15:44 PM »

Thanks for the support guys. Giotikas contacted me today via whatsapp. My pre op checks will be on day 23.

JimmyJW

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »

Thank you for your posts.

What's your budget for this surgery please?

Also I completely understand with your fixation and subsequent depression with being unable to reach a goal. Until now that is!

V21

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 08:08:04 AM »

Thank you for your posts.

What's your budget for this surgery please?

Also I completely understand with your fixation and subsequent depression with being unable to reach a goal. Until now that is!
[/quote

Around 47.000 euros for surgery, 2.700 for 3 months in Athens (appartment for me and gf), and a bit more for daily expenses, flights, etc etc. So maybe 52.000 or so.

Siegfried

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »

Good luck!
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

RB

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 12:01:48 PM »

Were you aware of anyone requiring assistance to help them click the nail to lengthen?I have read some patients were put to sleep to extend the nail.

Not while I was there. But I have heard about patients in the past who had to click under general. It seems to be quite rare though.
5'4" > 5'7.5"

Stretch

• Considering LL
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 12:15:04 PM »

@RB- Good to know thanks

JimmyJW

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »

Around 47.000 euros for surgery, 2.700 for 3 months in Athens (appartment for me and gf), and a bit more for daily expenses, flights, etc etc. So maybe 52.000 or so.

Thank you. Best of luck. Athens is a pretty wild and beautiful city. Have a great time.

V21

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »

4 days to go¡ Yesterday I bougth protein powder and peanut butter in order to be able to have a great calories intake after surgery. The food is also quite cheap here. Is there anything else useful that I should buy to make things easier?

eric.cartman

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »

If you haven't already, download 'beat' and 'efood'. Efood is probabaly the app you'd need most - both for food and groceries

FSchez

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »

Hello V21!
I just want to wish you the best of luck and give you some advice that can help you in your recovery, from my humble experience ...
Be very patient and spend as much time as you can to stretch your muscles every day without straining your body, stretch all the muscles of the hips and legs, it will help you maintain flexibility. When you can walk and exercise, exercise your legs as much as possible so as not to lose a lot of muscle tone, always within the limits allowed by the doctor ...
The first nights it will be hard for you to sleep so don't try to endure the pain, I tried not to take many painkillers the first few days but finally I had to increase the doses to the maximum to withstand the pain at night and to be able to rest.
If you can't sleep despite taking painkillers, stretch your legs for a few minutes, that helped me many times. If that doesn't work, the other option is a leg massage, but you depend on your partner being awake, of course, unp alone it's pretty difficult ...
If you need any advice, do not hesitate to write me a message.
Good luck my friend !!

V21

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 09:00:35 PM »

Thanks for your recommendations¡ I used Efood since I arrived here, it's very useful. I can buy food for a week for me and my gf for maybe 50 euros. Today I had my preop checks, and surgery will be at 7.30 AM on Wednesday. Giotikas said I had good flexibility, so I'm happy my training during all these months was useful.

The bad thing is that I will probably get the small nail (11 mm, can take 75 kg per leg). It was weird because I'm big, in fact I had to diet to cut down on weight (I was 85 and got to 73), but it seems that my femurs are not that wide. Giotikas says that he is not sure if the 13 mm nail will fit in: he will try, but probably I will get the 11 mm one, so I will have to be more careful.

In any case, the first G nail patients has surgery tomorrow. I will be the second one, and will update as soon as possible¡

eric.cartman

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 11:35:11 PM »

The 11mm is actually pretty strong. I wouldn't worry much about it as long as you're under 75kg - I had a 11mm fracture nail as well  - it's obvs. not g-nail but most 11mm IM nails are can tolerate decent load.

Good luck and keep us posted!

LU213

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 04:38:51 AM »

I wish you all the best.  My date is September 14. 165lb per nail is still good.

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »

Hi V21,

Best of luck legend!

Looking forward to the updates!

I was thinking of doing Precice 2.2 with Dr Giotikas, is there a supply issue?

Also did he give you any covid discounts?

Did you have to book a month in advance? I was thinking of just flying over and rocking up haha!

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 08:25:55 AM »

How'd you go getting accomodation and all that? I'm thinking if doing it there in October FYI.

V21

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »

Hey guys,
This is my last post before surgery tomorrow. The first G Nail patient just contacted me and he's fine. Depending on how I feel, I will probably update before next week. Regarding the questions, Precice will be back by September, and I booked surgery and acommodation since January.

To be honest, I'm not even nervous. I have fought really hard to get here. I'm not a rich guy, and had to create a business just to get money to pay for this. I have been 1 year working like a madman. I have also stretched a lot and choose a good surgeon. I think I did all I could, and now the rest is just luck and discipline. I have lost years of my life due to height neurosis, and this ends tomorrow. Wether it goes well or not, I'm proud to have tried instead of accepting defeat.

Will update as soon as possible, thanks for the support¡
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up