Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for patients who lived in USA after LL (and before too maybe)  (Read 418 times)

SpeedDialer

Say after LL was finished and you came home and you had a problem related to your legs (say it was probably caused by the LL)

Has anyone had an experience where a medical problem happened after LL and insurance didn't help at all for it?

What was the problem and what would you have looked for when choosing which health insurance to get beforehand?

Worzezterlire

Re: Questions for patients who lived in USA after LL (and before too maybe)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »

Insurance covered a lot of a bent nail issue I had.  Not all of it but a lot of it.  The fact I was lengthening cosmetically was irrelevant, the bend would have caused deformity and so it had to be replaced same week.  It was just barely over (by hundreds of dollars only) the 5 figure mark after insurance for everything.

MakeMeTallAF

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:33:57 PM »

You had to pay an extra 10 grand out of pocket?

Activatedxx

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 12:15:15 AM »

Even though my case was cosmetic physical therapy and fixator removal was covered along with X-rays. Had a 20-30% copay depending on service, frame removal by rozbruchs partner Dr. Taylor Reif was 40k and my max out of pocket was 6k, ended up just having it removed in turkey because he was booked for about a month and I needed the fixators off asap for my mental health
5’5 -> 8cm distracted -> 5’8  LON Femur.
Brutal painful process, if considering external femurs please change your mind
Monorails installed may 13: Removed august 8, 2021
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66610.0

Worzezterlire

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 02:28:20 AM »

You had to pay an extra 10 grand out of pocket?

Considering it was a new nail, a two hour removal and insertion surgery in a top notch hospital under anesthesia, taking into account the cost of the nail (5 figures alone) and the cost of some specific rare machinery they had to get to get the old bent one out and distract the new one… paying what I paid was a miracle and I paid without hesitation.  Had an accident but fortunately it set me back a lot less than the original surgery.  I suspect the emergency surgery would have cost 50+ grand out of pocket without insurance.

The accident was technically my fault but more of a freak accident.  Keeping the old nail in there and not distracting any further was an alternative at first but ultimately it was safer to remove and replace.  Also allows me to finish my journey and max out the nails.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 02:31:54 AM »

If you have an HMO health insurance plan, are you fked if a LL doctor does not live in your insurance's area?

If I want to do LL in the spring of 2022, then should I apply to switch my health insurance from HMO to PPO now during open enrollment season? 

SpeedDialer

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 02:34:23 AM »

Thank you!!! Say hypothetically you did internals. But you don't have an LL doctor in your HMO health insurance area covered. What country/doctor would you go for nail removal to save money but do it safely?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 05:10:42 AM »

If you have an HMO health insurance plan, are you fked if a LL doctor does not live in your insurance's area?

If I want to do LL in the spring of 2022, then should I apply to switch my health insurance from HMO to PPO now during open enrollment season?

Unlikely that an HMO would not have any orthopedists working for it.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 01:14:14 PM »

Makes sense. If I wanted to do both internals LL w/ Giotikas Fall 2022-mid 2023 then when should I enroll in new health insurance?

I'm afraid of it not helping for nail removal with Assayag if I get the insurance only after LL (then would it be considered a precondition)?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 02:49:42 PM »

Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act (some people call it Obamacare) insurance companies cannot discriminate against you due to pre-existing conditions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up