Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My lengthening experience with Dr. Guichet and his Team  (Read 3554 times)

Super-JR

My lengthening experience with Dr. Guichet and his Team
« on: September 06, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have decided to write this review in order to evaluate and convey my vast and profound experiences throughout the process of lengthening with Dr Jean-Marc Guichet and his team.

I am a 23 years old male from London who for the longest time was unhappy and unconfident within my own body. I was of below average height (155cm) and felt deeply dissatisfied with my physical appearance. I would not like the way I looked in the mirror as well as when I stood next to others. I had to get counselling as I would not attend certain social events, I withdrew myself socially. So much so that I would wear platform heels which were approximately 10 cm that would cause my feet much harm and pain. Having searched extensively for seven years for a solution to my height problem, I happened upon the website of Dr Guichet. I was surprised and curious as to how he was able to make people grow up to 10 cm (4 inches) within the span of 4 months. I immediately decided to contact him, and thereafter began our journey…

Prior to discovering Dr Guichet, I had researched various limb lengthening methods and techniques, the most popular being the external fixator as well as the precice/stryde nails. However, unfortunately these nails are no longer being used. Furthermore, the time it would take to grow and heal was much advanced with Dr Guichet’s nail (also called Gnail). I was also amazed at his vast knowledge and experience, as well as his amazing team.
From the beginning, the level of communication and friendliness from Dr Guichet and his team was refreshing. I was able to gain a clear understanding of the procedure, its risks and benefits. This gave me a certain comfort, and so I decided to make the decision (with the support of my parents) to come to Milan to commence the pretraining preparation and in turn the actual surgery. I was made aware from the get go how important the pre and post training program is to the healing and overall well-being of the patient.

On arrival, I immediately began the heavy duty pre-op training, which focused on strength, hypertrophy and flexibility. Despite the covid restrictions and thereby the gyms being closed the team found a way to train me with resistance bands, doing squats, deadlifts and many other exercises which were also for the upper body. At the beginning I didn’t understand why also training the upper body if the surgery was for the legs was so important. However, from day one of the surgery I realized the importance of that training in order to stand up using the walker and also just to move around, as no wheelchair is allowed throughout the lengthening. I stood up one hour and a half after awakening from the surgery I did exercises with a bike and clicks, left the hospital the next day. I did 2 sessions per day, three times a week of pre-training. By the end of the pre-training, for the important muscle groups I got a strength increase of 25%.

The training also made me realize that consistency, determination, focus and resilience is equally as important as a positive attitude- all human activities, competition sports and even the brain require training, and so did my legs before lengthening.
In addition, before the operation, I was able to meet another patient, which was a great way to first-hand see the reality of this surgery.

After a month or so of pre training, it was time for my surgery. The day of the surgery was not so bad. It was the day after, when the medicine started to wear off, that I started to feel the pain. The doctor made me exercise from the moment I woke up post-surgery so that my blood flow and inflammation would start to reduce, as well as for my legs to keep active. I was also able to walk using the walker almost immediately post-op, which I found incredible.

I remember doing the clicks for the first time. It was such an alien feeling. And the first two weeks of the surgery required a lot of mental strength as the body was in pain and fatigue. Thankfully, the doctor ensures that we have the necessary help.

Post-op training begins virtually straight after the surgery, and although I was in pain and often felt like just staying in bed, it was (through hindsight), the best way to release the tension, inflammation and also the mental toll that this surgery has on you. The fantastic thing is that I was released after spending one night in the hospital, and started going to the gym 2-3 days after.

The Dr also provides a psychotherapist to speak with during the process, and the Dr himself is available at any time to speak to regarding medical advice. Regular x rays are also booked and so the whole medical and psychological aspects of the post-op ensure a good healing. Dr Guichet truly is a dedicated man.

The first two weeks of the surgery were difficult both physically and mentally. The physical pain of gaining cm on the muscles has a definitive impact on one's mind. Sleeping for more than a few hours is also hard, and more so because your legs have to be raised whilst sleeping in order to decrease the inflammation. The post-op exercises are mainly focused towards stretching in order to release the muscle tension and thereby make the clicks easier. Cycling is also an important part of the recovery, and so is swimming.

After the first two weeks, the pain decreased gradually, but was definitely still there, until the 5th to 6th week after the surgery, then the pain subsided to nothing . If the advice given by the Dr. and the trainers is followed, which includes taking all the medicine and doing all the exercises, then your pain will decrease for sure. In addition, a positive and strong mind is essential. The post-op training is 4 hours a day, 6 days a week (once in the morning, once in the afternoon). The trainers were truly very good at their job and the exercises they taught were helpful in maintaining a certain level of flexibility and also to reduce the pain. Having good trainers was important as I was spending a great part of the day with them, and being able to be in better shape faster was the main way to start having an enjoyable time. Eventually for me, the pain subsided (after 5-6 weeks) and I was able to enjoy the process, the clicks and the routine. I went out regularly, enjoyed Milan and what was also very helpful was being able to train and share the experience with other patients. I have found friendships for life. I finally gained over 96 mm. I walk without crutches at a correct speed and my healing is strongly progressing.

Now, when I look in the mirror, I am pleasantly comfortable with the way I look. I look and feel taller. I am more confident and when I go out I feel a sense of pride. I have achieved something and pulled through. I am truly grateful to Dr. Guichet and his entire team for the help, advice and positivity they have provided me with throughout his procedure.

Super-JR

Re: My lengthening experience with Dr. Guichet and his Team
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:38:41 PM »

I am here because I am a grateful patient and would like to share my lenghtening achievement. Many of you would think that my story is not real and that I am being paid. Well all that was written on my story is real and I am sharing this because of the gratitude I have for him and his whole team.

LU213

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 10:07:13 PM »

Congratulations on lengthening over 3 inches.  It would be nice to have a recent Dr. Guichet patient do a diary while he or she is going through the process rather than when it is all finished but it is still nice to have a recent Guichet experience.  Dates would help with credibility.  Even though you are from London, I will conclude that you are not an English native speaker because of the overly formal manner in which you write.  That manner of speaking will cause some to question the legitimacy of the story. I will take you at your word though because there is no benefit to being harsh and mean to others. It still gives insight into Guichet's pre and post op training program which appears very intense. A person has to be able to stop working for 4 full months to do that.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 11:44:08 PM »

Thanks for posting this! What are your thoughts on gnail for tibia? Can it be used for tibia?

What are your thoughts on how to prevent what happened to Unicorn (forum user here) with the Gnail? Something bad happened to her, Guichet may have sued, and then she took down her stuff, I'm not sure what happened?

Super-JR

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:03:46 PM »

I don’t know about that patient and I don’t know her case. My experience is that Dr Guichet explains thoroughly his statistics, and I chose treatment with him in full knowledge. Dr Guichet may be open to answer himself. I can speak with him if you wish.

For the G Nail for tibias, I discussed it with Dr Guichet at the first consultation. He seems to have a good experience as he developed the first tibial lengthening nail. For cosmetic purpose, tibial nails takes far more time (like external fixator) to heal and I did not want it.

Super-JR

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 08:16:36 PM »

Congratulations on lengthening over 3 inches.  It would be nice to have a recent Dr. Guichet patient do a diary while he or she is going through the process rather than when it is all finished but it is still nice to have a recent Guichet experience.  Dates would help with credibility.  Even though you are from London, I will conclude that you are not an English native speaker because of the overly formal manner in which you write.  That manner of speaking will cause some to question the legitimacy of the story. I will take you at your word though because there is no benefit to being harsh and mean to others. It still gives insight into Guichet's pre and post op training program which appears very intense. A person has to be able to stop working for 4 full months to do that.

Thank you for your compliment, I studied Languages at the University, and it may help for writing.
I arrived in Milan in April, was operated in the first week of May and left Milan a week ago for the University in London.
From the beginning, I wanted to concentrate on my lengthening. The first weeks were very difficult for me as pain was tough. When it become better, I could resume a correct life, frequently going to restaurants, and lately even enjoying trips to Como
and Venezia with another patients.
Initially, I was uncertain of the outcome and did not want to post on Internet. It was private.

Body Builder

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 12:19:33 AM »

All these training bs that Guichet invented helps nothing with LL and is a way for him to take even more money together with the people he works with.
No respectable doctor needs things like that and also big muscles don't help with LL but they make lengthening harder and more painful.

Guichet is a momeyhungry doctor that ruined people like Unicorn due to huge faults (too fast lengthening, huge nail on a very narrow bone etc) which not even a new doctor would have done and that won't change with some good experience from some of his patients who I believe that they may have good results.
For that huge prices there are several much better options than Guichet and I really can't understand why many people give so much money for a doctor with such a bad history who still uses insane things like hard training and all these nonsense.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 04:46:45 AM »

With gnail in your legs, should you not try to lift objects? Ex: to setup a TV by the bed

Super-JR

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »

All these training bs that Guichet invented helps nothing with LL and is a way for him to take even more money together with the people he works with.
No respectable doctor needs things like that and also big muscles don't help with LL but they make lengthening harder and more painful.

Guichet is a momeyhungry doctor that ruined people like Unicorn due to huge faults (too fast lengthening, huge nail on a very narrow bone etc) which not even a new doctor would have done and that won't change with some good experience from some of his patients who I believe that they may have good results.
For that huge prices there are several much better options than Guichet and I really can't understand why many people give so much money for a doctor with such a bad history who still uses insane things like hard training and all these nonsense.

Hello Mr. Body Builder,

I understand that you do not like Dr. Guichet’s method, anybody is free to choose a doctor they prefer. I have chosen him because from my research he has the fastest recovery of patients that could go back to normal life.

Were you a patient of Dr. Guichet? Because I am... I am a patient of his and I am writing from experience. The training is very important during the lengthening: to maintain flexibility, mobility, mood, decrease muscle pain when you start to grow and help with blood flow on legs for a faster bone fusion.

With lengthening you do not only grow your bones but also your muscles. So if you do not have the right amount of muscles to stretch how could you gain the height you want to achieve?

Overall the training was not that hard, even for a non-sportive person like I am. I even started to enjoy it after 3 weeks from the surgery. In fact I am continuing training to also improve my upper body, and 1 day become a Body Builder like you.

Super-JR

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 08:49:40 PM »

With gnail in your legs, should you not try to lift objects? Ex: to setup a TV by the bed

Until the full bone fusion it is not recommended, but I could already walk without crutches. So in a way I am lifting my body weight.

Body Builder

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:51 PM »

Hello Mr. Body Builder,

I understand that you do not like Dr. Guichet’s method, anybody is free to choose a doctor they prefer. I have chosen him because from my research he has the fastest recovery of patients that could go back to normal life.

Were you a patient of Dr. Guichet? Because I am... I am a patient of his and I am writing from experience. The training is very important during the lengthening: to maintain flexibility, mobility, mood, decrease muscle pain when you start to grow and help with blood flow on legs for a faster bone fusion.

With lengthening you do not only grow your bones but also your muscles. So if you do not have the right amount of muscles to stretch how could you gain the height you want to achieve?

Overall the training was not that hard, even for a non-sportive person like I am. I even started to enjoy it after 3 weeks from the surgery. In fact I am continuing training to also improve my upper body, and 1 day become a Body Builder like you.
I am an LL veteran, maybe the most old one still active here as I did my surgery 10 years before.
Stretching and lengthening muscles is easier when they are not strong and stiff so working out hard like Guichet suggests really don't offer anything, on the other hand it makes things harder with LL. Thats why no other doctor suggest things like that.

Its another thing to do pt which is very important and another to do what Guichet asks for.
And all the thimgs I.mentioned about very tragic faults that caused serious problems to fellow llers (like Unicorn) are a reality, thats why I don't like Guichet at all, especially for the money he wants.

The good thing is that everything went well with you.
Keep string !

Super-JR

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 07:43:55 AM »

I am an LL veteran, maybe the most old one still active here as I did my surgery 10 years before.
Stretching and lengthening muscles is easier when they are not strong and stiff so working out hard like Guichet suggests really don't offer anything, on the other hand it makes things harder with LL. Thats why no other doctor suggest things like that.

Its another thing to do pt which is very important and another to do what Guichet asks for.
And all the thimgs I.mentioned about very tragic faults that caused serious problems to fellow llers (like Unicorn) are a reality, thats why I don't like Guichet at all, especially for the money he wants.

The good thing is that everything went well with you.
Keep string !

Hello, just for curiosity... Which nail did you had and how many cm you gained? Did you do shin or femur? It will be interesting to read your experience.

Super-JR

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »

Hello, just passing by to give a quick update about my fusion. I had my X-rays yesterday and good new my left femur is almost fully fuse. In 4 months and a half from my surgery, the right femur is catching up.

Will be sharing photos once I learn how to upload it here.

Want-3-inches

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 06:57:07 AM »

Are you originally from the UK? Is that why chose to do this in London and not Milan?

LU213

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 11:19:29 AM »

Congratulations. How many clicks did you do per day? Just wondering if you ever were requested to increase to 21 clicks for a short period of time?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 08:31:03 PM »

What are the biggest differences between gnail and the older albizzia nails?

SirStretchAlot

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 01:25:16 AM »

Not much other than minor design and material changes.

Betz and Guichet did it mainly so they can keep more loyalties.
May 2021: 171cm (evening) > September 2021: 181cm
Wingspan: 170cm | Male: 29 | 65kg | Based in UK
Femurs: Betzbone with Dr. Betz | ITB Release: Dr. Giotikas
Dairy: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66558.0

Super-JR

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »

:D Sorry for the late answers, but even if I am resident in the UK, I went back home for recovery.

As promised, this are the x-rays at 3 months and 3 weeks.
https://imgur.com/a/DnxXaLe

Super-JR

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 07:25:19 AM »

Are you originally from the UK? Is that why chose to do this in London and not Milan?

I am not from the UK but part of my family is living there. I did the surgery in Milan and stayed there just over 3 months, then I went back to the UK. In fact, to recover fast, my family proposed me to go home (over 12 hours of airplane…) and I went there just after the last x-rays. I plan to go back end of this week!

Super-JR

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »

Not much other than minor design and material changes.

Betz and Guichet did it mainly so they can keep more loyalties.

I do not think Dr Guichet is moved by the ‘royalties’ aim, but I agree on the ‘loyalty’ aim for patients. When he created this technique, it was for people in need to improve treatments over external fixators. He told me the lack of beliefs from his colleagues he got at that time with so many criticisms. But he was right, an internal nail, once the patient is controlling the clicks, is far better than external fixators, and I do not thing a lot of you would not confirm it. His nail is secure and allows sports, even if as a patient I had to adjust to the 'click' mechanism.

Super-JR

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2021, 07:48:29 AM »

Congratulations. How many clicks did you do per day? Just wondering if you ever were requested to increase to 21 clicks for a short period of time?

Thank you! Did 21 clicks for the first month from surgery, then gradually decreases depending on what Dr. Guichet would let me do. After that first month I started enjoying the clicks. On my last month, clicking becomes a normal part of my life that I was even comfortable doing it while I am at a restaurant.

Here is a short clip (that I manage to upload) of me walking after 12 days of stopping my clicks.
https://imgur.com/2teHlqV

Super-JR

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »

This is what I documented before the surgery and learned during my stay in Milan.

The Albizzia nail has been invented by Dr Guichet. It was the first lengthening nail with weight bearing in the world, over 30 years ago and was also the first weight bearing one used in the USA. Dr Betz used it and did some modifications. Dr Guichet gathered the complications of this technique from his stats and the one of other surgeons and modified a lot of things in the nail. The current evolution from that is the Guichet nail (G-Nail) which allows weight bearing, sports and is secure for the gain with little complications.

For my experience the important thing is not the nail, besides having a weight bearing one, but the rehab program for recovery. I followed the whole session program, like doing 1 hour and a half of bike per day and a lot of exercises, which brought me fast healing and recovery. As I said, I suffered a lot from my height, which gave me a lot of motivation, even to go through pain.

Bob

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 10:23:21 PM »

What is the price for surgery with Dr Guichet?

Super-JR

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 07:19:36 AM »

What is the price for surgery with Dr Guichet?

I could not say the exact price, because the care I received from Dr Guichet and his team was priceless.  ;D

But if you really want to know you could email them.

Super-JR

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2021, 08:02:37 AM »

I just wanted to update you with my status. I am feeling really strong in both my legs since my bones are fully fused now, as shown with my last X-rays of mid-October. I resumed my normal life, ready to conquer the world with my new confidence. Whoever did a lengthening knows that you do not only grow your height but also your confidence and happiness.
Last month I started traveling again, went to Kenya to explore the wildlife and got a chance to get close to rhinoceros, wild animals and giraffes, it was an incredible experience! I was also lucky to get back before they close the borders.
I am now preparing for my next adventure, within Europe for now, to visit a mate from the lengthening period (he got 7 cm of gain).
For now I’ll continue enjoying my life. I do swimming and other activities for faster bone healing (see my video (https://imgur.com/a/eBMw2SU). I will share some further photos for people who want more precisions.

canterk

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2021, 07:30:11 PM »

hi super jr. you mentioned you traveled lately. does the airport metal detector go off when you pass through it? do you have to show papers about your surgery or will they take your word for it when you say you have some implants?

Super-JR

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »

hi super jr. you mentioned you traveled lately. does the airport metal detector go off when you pass through it? do you have to show papers about your surgery or will they take your word for it when you say you have some implants?

I have a certification given by Dr Guichet for airport metal detectors  ;D

ilovescience

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2021, 08:55:46 AM »

I have a certification given by Dr Guichet for airport metal detectors  ;D

Sorry a little bit confused. You were granted to airport access without the need to be checked at metal detector??

Super-JR

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »

Sorry a little bit confused. You were granted to airport access without the need to be checked at metal detector??

I was a bit vague, I have a certification stating I had an orthopaedic surgery with metal implants, which justify the beeping of metal detectors.

Super-JR

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »

Dr. Guichet's Team did a compilation of my lengthening journey. I'll share the link below.

g

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2022, 03:46:36 PM »

I suspect the authenticity of this diary of this doctor

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up