Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slightly worried  (Read 1548 times)

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
Slightly worried
« on: February 11, 2022, 08:56:01 PM »

Hi everyone, I am in the middle of lengthening my femurs using LON method here in Turkey. I am slightly worried regarding the amount of pain in the knees and the xrays. I will attach my latest xrays which were taken about a week ago (2.5 cm at the time), right now I am about 2.8 cm and having lots of knee pains and I am unable to completely extend my legs. I have been told this was due to hamstrings being tight but it doesn't feel like a muscle issue, its physically impossible to extend all the way without knee pain. I am also having lots of pain in the knees while walking.As you can see in the x-ray of the right leg there seems to be a slight misalighnemnt and its obvious that its due to poor technique during surgery. there is also a slight misalignment in the left leg but it's much less. Doctors says its normal and will straighten out as I lengthen but I can not see how that will happen as the bottom bone is bonded by the screws and it will be physically impossible to align. I am almost in panic mode, but I don't know what to do. Doctor is saying everything looks normal but truthfully I don't know how much I can trust him because he is relatively young and doesn't have much experience in LL. I am thinking to schedule an online consultation with Dr. Dimitrios Giotikas but the soonest is Feb 22 which is 10 days from now, BTW I am currently in Turkey for the lengthening process and plan to stay here until I can walk normal again. if anyone has any experience with this please share what you think and I would really appreciate it.

Xrays:
Right : https://imgur.com/a/8JpU2jU
Left: https://imgur.com/a/yMIUTki

LLprime3

Re: Slightly worried
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 09:40:11 PM »

Try this exercise:
Lie one the back.
Put something big and round (huge towel) below your leg at the bending spot, and press down on it non-stop for 5 mins until the area becomes really hot and exhausted.
If that made it easier to fully extend the leg afterwards, then it was a muscle issue, and lack of actual hard exercise.
A bone issue would not disappear after muscle exercises.

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 10:37:57 PM »

I tried doing this (this is also part of pt) it actually increases knee pain but its bearable. I did it for few minutes it did improve stretching a bit, but I still can stretch all the way, about 10 degrees off from complete extension. have you looked at the xrays? what do you think ?

ilovescience

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 03:34:09 AM »

I tried doing this (this is also part of pt) it actually increases knee pain but its bearable. I did it for few minutes it did improve stretching a bit, but I still can stretch all the way, about 10 degrees off from complete extension. have you looked at the xrays? what do you think ?

The knee pain doesn't get worse? Just fine?

SuchLL

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 03:55:56 AM »

It’s common to have knee pain especially during femur lengthening, since hamstrings, quads, IT bands, gluteus muscles will all be tight and weak which is the most common cause for knee pain among younger people.

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 04:10:43 AM »

I can handle the pain if I am sure my bones are fine and the surgery was done correctly. Right now my biggest concern is the surgeon's lack of experience and the fact that my right leg does not look completely aligned like the left.

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 04:13:11 AM »

the knee pain fluctuates throughout the day it's worse at night. and also it gets a lot worse during physical therapy.

SuchLL

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 04:38:14 AM »

I can handle the pain if I am sure my bones are fine and the surgery was done correctly. Right now my biggest concern is the surgeon's lack of experience and the fact that my right leg does not look completely aligned like the left.

Looking at your xrays I think your bones shouldn’t be the reason you can’t fully extend your knees. I agree with your doctor your muscles are probably too tight and you may want to consider slowing down and see if it helps with the knee pain.

LLprime3

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 08:00:32 AM »

Looking at your xrays I think your bones shouldn’t be the reason you can’t fully extend your knees. I agree with your doctor your muscles are probably too tight and you may want to consider slowing down and see if it helps with the knee pain.

Agree with all points, especially slowing down. The angle doesn't look too off to create any pains.

thankscience

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »

Your x-ray looks fine so far. If the pain is too much to bear I'd suggest slowing down a bit, as others have suggested.

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »

I asked the doctor today he said to lengthen two time per day for 3 days and then continue with four times per day. Let's see if the knee pain drops a little. The knee pain is so much worse today than it was any other day beside the first week after surgery.

c

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 07:03:02 PM »

tell me you doctor 谢谢

tallerwouldbenice

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 06:46:50 AM »

It's normal for pain to be worse at night

PTs should be able to help. You can tape your knees and move your patellas around manually a little bit

more

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 11:05:20 AM »

Your left leg has misalignment which is causing knee pain during extension and flexion. Right leg is slightly better . Joints space has been reduced which will cause a lot of problems , be careful and before removal the apparatus ask your doctor to correct it.

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »

Do you mean the right leg is worse? Left leg xray looks more aligned to me. Which problems will be caused by joints space being reduced ?

c

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 08:48:29 PM »

you doctor name?

more

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 11:06:55 AM »

Do you mean the right leg is worse? Left leg xray looks more aligned to me. Which problems will be caused by joints space being reduced ?
Sorry my mistake it is right knee which is misaligned , if joint space is reduced you can't bend  your leg in normal range and will always have knee pain and osteoarthritis

Captainfreddy13

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 12:29:09 PM »

The space wasn't narrow before I started lengthening, it narrowed once I started lengthening. Check out my xray right after the surgery the space seemed normal. How to fix this??? Dr doesn't seem to care and keeps saying everything is OK. Will he be able to fix the misalignment once he removes the device,  wouldn't it be too late at that point since bone will already have consolidated and connected ??

https://imgur.com/a/twJinkL

thankscience

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 02:41:29 AM »

That looks extremely misaligned. Maybe email Dr Assayag for another opinion - I know he sometimes lurks this forum.

canterk

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 07:55:46 AM »

Who is your doctor?

'Dr doesn't seem to care and keeps saying everything is OK.' ->then I think you should get a second opinion from another doctor also, not just forum members!

c

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2022, 07:56:22 AM »

you doctor name ?thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up