Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr.Uysal + AFA - 2021DEC21 - LON (Tibia + Femur)  (Read 3484 times)

BagOfMilk

Dr.Uysal + AFA - 2021DEC21 - LON (Tibia + Femur)
« on: December 19, 2021, 04:18:37 AM »

Hello world  :)

I am BagOfMilk. From Eastern Canada. Male. You can call me Milk.

IG - bagofmilk2022

I will start this diary today and slowly update it as I progress through this process. Hopefully helping out a fellow or two down the line. Or at least entertain some ppl reading my story of spending loads of cash to break my perfectly working legs. Enjoy  :P
Tibia 5.5cm - Illzarov LON - Dec 21 2021 - April 09 2022
Femur 6cm - Precise 2 - May 13 2022 - July 20 2022
Prof.Dr.Mustafa.Uysal + AFA
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68803.0

BagOfMilk

Re: Dr.Uysal + AFA - 2021DEC21 - LON (Tibia + Femur)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 04:22:53 AM »

I am 174 cm and 150 lbs. Very average in every dimension. Looking to get 8cm + by the end of this process. I was pretty set on getting the precise 2 nails in my femurs. Distract 7-8cm and call it a day. As I read and learn more and more, through Victor (C4L)'s YT videos and other patients experiences. I'm now going to split up my CLL into two segments. 4cm in tibias and 6cm in femurs. I'm totally aware of the consequences with more surgeries... still.. I'm pretty sure about splitting it up. Pain might be the main factor for many.. but I have had my fair share of surgical experiences in my life. Not too worried about the pain. Definitely more concerned with bone alignment; nerve damages; blood vessel and muscle tears etc. Which led to the decision of splitting it up into two segments.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 04:24:53 AM »

The question is wether to do LON or Precise 2. If I made more money or had support from families etc.. this would have been an easy decision. Precise 2 in 4 canals... As you can tell, I'm not in the States nor are my doing internals… "I make good money.. but.. not that good" As Nicholas' leg lengthening on YT said. Cheers bro =) I am also not taking out a loan for this... nooo.. I hate owing money. I saved up every penny that came along during Covid. Spent almost no money besides the necessities. The image of having broken legs and paying back a monthly loan just don't seem too bright to me...NOT to deter anyone else from taking out a loan for this. Just the way I live.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 04:31:23 AM »

I first contacted team AFA in Aug of 2021. Along side a few other LL companies and surgeons. With more contact between AFA and I..The choice of going with AFA and Dr.Uysal surfaced quickly. AFA seems to be keen on PT. 5 PT sessions a week for every patient. Dr.Uysal had a limited amount of info on the net... but with what I can dig up. He seemed to be conservative and less promoted. As time went on I felt more confident dealing with them. Being able to feel comfortable asking them questions at anytime, requesting things that is a-little out of the ordinary. Is definitely the most important aspect to me. Their patient Advisor Omar totally took all my needs and promptly satisfied them. Which quickly resulted in a confirmed surgery date for Dec 21nd 2021. Deposit was wired over in mid-November 2021. As you can see. I have waited about two month from the time I first made contact with AFA. Just enough time to get a good feeling for their work flow and etc.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 04:32:23 AM »

Today is Dec.16th.2021. I flew into Istanbul two days ago on the 14th. With a 3 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany. The new Omicron virus is now wildly abundant... The fear of flying got REAL...again. The Canada to Frankfurt leg of the flight was quite empty. Almost everyone had their own row of seats, with plenty of distance between passengers. On the other hand the flight from Frankfurt to Istanbul was packed with 0 empty seats. I was literally breathing on / being breathed on by other passengers. I had my n95 on and double masked it with a medical blue mask. I did not take it off for the whole duration of the flight to Istanbul. Didn't even take a sip of water ... Yep... not even a sip. ='(

BagOfMilk

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 04:33:12 AM »

Also.. if you are flying economy.. you will pay for your check in baggage. I don't know if its due to Covid..or what.. So...I suggest upgrading your seat to at least Premium Economy with 1 check-in baggage included. Or else its 150 CAD for a 23kg bag.. which is almost the same cost for the upgrade. Also.. the baggage weight allowance for the second leg of the flight was 20 kg... I had to pay for the extra 3 kgs... which was 115 euros...really really really stupid for international flights. Flight companies taking advantage of the situation...trying to make up for their losses.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 04:34:49 AM »

Once I got through the customs and picked up my baggage...The AFA team picked me up from the Istanbul airport. Nice 30 min drive right to the hotel they had booked for me. The name of the hotel is Fraser Place in the Antasya district. Its quite a clean and nice hotel. The suite they had booked literally has all the amenities one may need. Which was a pleasant surprise. Washing machine. dish washer. oven. pots. pans. plates. forks. two TVs. etc. I just need to figure out the food and entertainment situation.=))

BagOfMilk

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 07:20:36 AM »

It's been 4 days since my arrival. The AFA team has taken me around the city. I quite like the vibes here. A good change from Canada. They also took me to the PT room where I met a few of their patients here at the Fraser Place. They also have patients at their old location. I have met almost 6 AFA team members already. 5 CLL patients. Precise 2 tibia patients; LON femur patients and Illizarov + LON tibia patients. Of which two are quad patients on their second lengthening process. To be frank... I was keen to see how their conditions are. Definitely mind blown when I saw the type of conditions they are in. All are mobile on walkers. Besides the pain caused by PT sessions. They are ALL quite painless otherwise. Majority of them aren't even on pain killers anymore. They are all prescribed with painkillers along side supplements like D3. Calcium ZMA etc. Their main concern is what to make or order for food and how to keep entertained. I was lucky to have met a few patients whom asked me to join their daily routine. Mainly eating their food...=) Getting My Pre OP X-ray tomorrow.

Highest

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »

Hi Milk
Could you give the rationale of what difference you believe it makes to lengthen your femur 6cm instead of 7-8cm?

HeightBooster

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »

Hi
Congratulations. I hope you complete the process without any complications.

Tibia or femur first ? which method will be used ?

BagOfMilk

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 03:17:28 PM »

Hi Milk
Could you give the rationale of what difference you believe it makes to lengthen your femur 6cm instead of 7-8cm?
My First Question! =) Thank you highest!
So.. my train of thought was for long term. Years down the line. I really want to maintain my Tibia to Femur Ratio. Or at least as much as I can. It must be better for walking. Running. Sports. etc
Doing 6cm in Femurs is considered to be somewhat conservative. Which will lead to a faster maybe even better recovery. I hope. I have also seen so many interviews on Victor's Channel, C4L, with Dr.A; Dr.P and Dr.Marie.G from Canada etc. They all say up to 6cm seems to be smooth and maybe even easy. 7-8cm become harder and harder.. where they become the cheerleaders and push you to reach your goal.
These are the two main reasons. The other is... if I didn't decide to do quadrilateral lengthening... I would have pushed for the 8cm on my femurs, for sure.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2021, 03:20:46 PM »

Hi
Congratulations. I hope you complete the process without any complications.

Tibia or femur first ? which method will be used ?
Hi Heightbooster!
Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words. Means alot!   :-* Surgery is the day after tomorrow.
Tibias first ,LON with Ilizarov frame. For better alignment and a minor correction on my left leg / knee. Nothing too crazy.
Then LON With monorail on my femurs.
Hopefully my ROM and recovery is good enough after the Tibias so that the doc allows me to follow up with the femur operation just week .. or weeks after the removal of the illzarov rings. fingers crossed... he will let me  :-\ I dont want to fly back months or years later for my femurs.

LL2022

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 06:02:31 PM »

Hi Milk, Thanks for sharing us your journey. I have decided to undergo this procedure with (most likely) AFA aswell. However, I thought the surgeon was Dr. Inan? Have AFA changed? Last I checked with AFA's team, the surgeon was still Dr. Inan.
Currently 168,5 cm - Goal -> 4,5 cm - 5 cm Tibias in Turkey

BagOfMilk

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »

Hi Milk, Thanks for sharing us your journey. I have decided to undergo this procedure with (most likely) AFA aswell. However, I thought the surgeon was Dr. Inan? Have AFA changed? Last I checked with AFA's team, the surgeon was still Dr. Inan.
Hi LL2022. Congratss my friend! Making this decision isn't easy! Lots to consider.  ;)
You are correct. Dr.Inan indeed is and still is a surgeon with AFA. You can find his internal and external patients currently here in my building. Dr.Uysal has been working with AFA as well. You will be presented with his information alongside Dr.Inan's when you make the consultation. There are also a few of Dr.Uysal's patients here in my building. They both are very well known surgeons. I personally think you can't go wrong with either doctor. I have personally hang out with multiple patients from both doctors. AFA is just growing, providing their future patients with more options. You may video call both doctors and chat about your needs with them. See what fits your situation and timing. AFA respects your privacy very much, they literally wont reveal any thing about ur journey if you choose to be discrete. Hence why you haven't seen much ads or info on them.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 05:25:05 AM »

Went and got my Pre OP X-Ray four days ago. I got some great looking bones :o just abit on the short side ::) Also met Dr.Uysal in person about three days ago. Went over my X-Rays and finalized the operation details for Tuesday. He asked me to come and get hospitalized on Monday in preparation for the surgery Tuesday morning. There's some thing calm about him... once you see in his eyes.. you will feel extra confident and comfortable. At the end of the meeting.. he asked me "May I have your permission to leave?" lmao... he is so cool  8)

Yesterday. Monday the 20th. Ozzy from AFA took me to the city of Sakarya where Dr.Uysal's hospital is located. About an hour and half away from Istanbul. She got me settled into my private room after we took a second pre op X-Ray. Once again met with Dr.Uysal and his assistants. Took some photos together with the doc as well. You can see it on my IG. He is quite handsome and tall. Got my blood work done and had my last meal at around 7 pm. No more eating till after the surgery now. Ozzy also got me a bunch of snacks, drinks and food. AFA also arranged a 24/7 caretaker who is by my side currently. He speaks great english and super friendly. He even bought a velvet cake for me which i couldn't finish.. I felt bad  :-\

Right now is about two hours before the surgery. I slept at 9pm till 6am like a baby. The doc prescribed some meds to help me sleep and to calm my nerves. Which wasn't really needed. lol  ;D I don't know why.. Im not feeling like two days before. Where I woke up in the middle of the night a few times worrying about my legs being broken with metal pins / wires hanging out of it.
This will be my last update before I get hoops on my tibias and fibulas. Wish me luck fellas! See yall on the other side  8)

PerfectBody

• From 171cm, to >176cm
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 03:28:30 PM »

Good luck on your journey man. This is a tough one, but you'll come out much greater for it. Road to 180cm!!
LON Femur with Dr Buldu
5cm safely gained; thinking of doing another 5cm
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66540.0

LL2022

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2021, 10:50:09 PM »

Following you closely on your instagram ;D, thanks for providing that!

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason you choice Dr Uysal over Dr Inan or even Dr Buldu for that matter? Are most of AFA's patients Chinese?
Currently 168,5 cm - Goal -> 4,5 cm - 5 cm Tibias in Turkey

Bob

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »

Went and got my Pre OP X-Ray four days ago. I got some great looking bones :o just abit on the short side ::) Also met Dr.Uysal in person about three days ago. Went over my X-Rays and finalized the operation details for Tuesday. He asked me to come and get hospitalized on Monday in preparation for the surgery Tuesday morning. There's some thing calm about him... once you see in his eyes.. you will feel extra confident and comfortable. At the end of the meeting.. he asked me "May I have your permission to leave?" lmao... he is so cool  8)

Yesterday. Monday the 20th. Ozzy from AFA took me to the city of Sakarya where Dr.Uysal's hospital is located. About an hour and half away from Istanbul. She got me settled into my private room after we took a second pre op X-Ray. Once again met with Dr.Uysal and his assistants. Took some photos together with the doc as well. You can see it on my IG. He is quite handsome and tall. Got my blood work done and had my last meal at around 7 pm. No more eating till after the surgery now. Ozzy also got me a bunch of snacks, drinks and food. AFA also arranged a 24/7 caretaker who is by my side currently. He speaks great english and super friendly. He even bought a velvet cake for me which i couldn't finish.. I felt bad  :-\

Right now is about two hours before the surgery. I slept at 9pm till 6am like a baby. The doc prescribed some meds to help me sleep and to calm my nerves. Which wasn't really needed. lol  ;D I don't know why.. Im not feeling like two days before. Where I woke up in the middle of the night a few times worrying about my legs being broken with metal pins / wires hanging out of it.
This will be my last update before I get hoops on my tibias and fibulas. Wish me luck fellas! See yall on the other side  8)

Looking forward to follow your case with Dr. Uysal and AFA.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 08:50:36 AM »

Merry Christmas and Happy 2022 everyone  :) :D ;D. It has been a few days since my last update. 12 to be exact. I am now 4 mm taller and still going. Started lengthening 4 days ago @ .25 mm 4 times a day. Got discharged from the hospital 2 days ago. Had my first PT session with AFA yesterday afternoon. So, I'll do a detailed recap of everyday during my hospital stay. If you want to see my pictures or walking video. You can find them on my IG - bagofmilk2022

Day 1. Dec 21. 2021

Surgery was scheduled for 9:30 am. I slept like a baby till 6:30 ish from 9 pm. They did prepare a sleeping potion for me the night before, which wasn't necessary. Around 8am ish a nurse came in and left me a gown to put on. I got undressed and went into patient mode with the blue dress gown. Went on IG for an hour till three nurses came in. They asked me to get on the hospital bed then started pushing me towards the hallway. Went in an elevator which descended into the surgical rooms level. Next thing you know I was in a room with significantly lower temperature. The room was filled with imaging machines and other hospital staff. There must have been like 6-10 staff prepping things all around me. I got moved onto the surgical table where my arms are laid outward and then tied down.... Yes... Tied down :-X. A few of the nurses tried to talk to me and make small conversion. Until one came by and said "I will put you to sleep now... byebye". Then injected a clear looking fluid into the IV on my left arm. With in 10 seconds... I was out.

Woke up about 8 hours later in the patient room where the caretaker and I was staying the night before. Quickly realized that it was all done and over with. I now cant exactly move my legs. I had a moment of struggle trying to lift my legs, but I could only see my toes moving the blanket. It was at this point I realized the size and weight of the IRF on my legs. Road to recovery has officially started. The next few hours went by very fast, I came in and out of consciousness due to being under loads pain medication and fluids. About 6 hours later, Dr.Uysal came in and told me that all the goals were satisfied. It was a 100% successful surgery. He also told me he took a bit longer in the surgical process taking extra care each step. Also permitted me to sit up or even try to do minor movements if I felt like it. I agreed, as I was eager to move my legs from one position to another. He slowly raised and lowered my legs I felt that I gained more control over them. Super satisfying to feel them move after so long. Posted a quick video on IG showing my toes moving. =)

BagOfMilk

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 08:55:46 AM »

About 20 hours after the operation, I felt great. Flying high due to the IV medications. I asked my care taker to move my legs bed side so I can sit up. Legs definitely felt super heavy and stiff, but having your upper body in the upright position felt great. As I sat bed side with legs hanging down. I magically lifted them up and lowered them down a few times. I was able to move my feet left and right. The first bit of movements were super satisfying and motivating. So I decided to post another video of these movements on IG.

bloggerdude

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 08:59:17 AM »

Did you get general or spinal anesthesia? How was this decision taken based on pros and cons?

BagOfMilk

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 09:01:52 AM »

Day 2, 3. (Dec 22 ,23 2021)
I went though cycles of sleeping, eating, sleeping, eating. With minor movements of my legs in between. The pain level has increased a small amount as I gained full control over my legs. 2/10 pain at most. Still had my IV medications keeping the pain in control. I was introduced to my walker on day 2 to learn to use my broken legs to stand. Started to take steps around the room on Days 3. The process of trusting the ring fixation to bare my body weight and using the walker to maintain balance was tough at first. The magic of human body and its adaptation process was nothing short of miracle. With in the first 10 steps, I was able to learn to balance, move and bend my knees.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 09:07:37 AM »

Did you get general or spinal anesthesia? How was this decision taken based on pros and cons?
Hey bloggerdude  :D
General Anesthesia, I didn't have a choice on the type of anesthesia. I have had Spinal anesthesia years ago for another surgery. I prefer This IV injection for sure. The injection into the spinal area was uncomfortable to say the least.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 09:13:09 AM »

Good luck on your journey man. This is a tough one, but you'll come out much greater for it. Road to 180cm!!
Hi Perfectbody!  ;D
Thank you Sir! I have read your diary a few times... Thank you for sharing!  :-*

bloggerdude

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 09:13:26 AM »

Hey bloggerdude  :D
General Anesthesia, I didn't have a choice on the type of anesthesia. I have had Spinal anesthesia years ago for another surgery. I prefer This IV injection for sure. The injection into the spinal area was uncomfortable to say the least.

thank you for replying. I have heard spinal is much more safe and I'm surprised many places dont give a choice to the patient.

Good luck on your journey and happy new year

BagOfMilk

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 09:14:57 AM »

Looking forward to follow your case with Dr. Uysal and AFA.

Hey Bob!  :) I will keep updating this post as this process goes on. You can see some of my more current pics and vid on IG.  :P

BagOfMilk

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »

Day 4,5 . (Dec 24, 25 2021)
The IV pain medication was stopped on day 4. Oral medication was given periodically. Catheter was also removed. I now can make it to the washroom with the walker to stand and pee. Pain level is now 0-3-5/10 depending on movement and time of day. 0 pain when lying in bed. 2-3/10 pain when I stand on my legs and move around the room or to goto the washroom. My legs and feet got quite swollen after I first stood up for awhile. When I stand on my legs for the first time after lying down for awhile. The blood seems to be rushing to the legs quickly which may cause some pain. 5/10 pain at around 2-5 am. This pain is a throbbing type of pain. Mainly around the osteotomy site, mainly my right leg. It does not last long tho. 30-60 seconds at mosts, Maybe once an hour. Im super stiff in the mornings, laying down and bending the knees back hurts. This does fade quickly as I do more bending movements. I learnt to bare the pain at first and force my self to bend the knees to it limits more and more. It gets to the point where it is super flexible and no pain at all. This usually takes less than 10 min for warming up. The incision sites don't seems to be causing much pain at all, even at max bending on my knees.

BagOfMilk

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 09:38:08 AM »

thank you for replying. I have heard spinal is much more safe and I'm surprised many places dont give a choice to the patient.

Good luck on your journey and happy new year

Thank you! I really appreciate it!  ;D

canterk

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »

Hey bagofmilk congrats on your surgery. Care to share photos of your hotel room? And also sorry if already posted I must have missed it but how much did you pay in total including accommodation? Thanks and wish you a speedy recovery!

LL Patient

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 01:17:36 AM »

60kg is to little weight, very few adult men (profile of most of those who do LL) weight less than 60kg, so this makes no sense.

canterk

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 03:23:34 AM »

60kg is to little weight, very few adult men (profile of most of those who do LL) weight less than 60kg, so this makes no sense.
sorry but there are many adult men who weigh around 60kg.
also OP said he's 150 lbs that is around 68kg.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up