Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Paley Institute | Bilateral Femur Surgery | Dr Dr Deszczyński & Dr Albrewczyński  (Read 10076 times)

Hldrive

I am seriously considering suing this hospital.
You won't win a lawsuit like this in Poland, unless they actually fk you up

IgnoredByMods

Seems like a bunch of people were calling Dr Paley as they got worried.

People, I am fine. I’ve never been at risk of any damage at any point.

I made this journal as I thought my complications were cool (don’t really see them often) so I wanted to discuss them with members including the science behind it.

Unfortunately people overreact so I don’t plan on updating this diary anymore.

IgnoredByMods

And just want to add a note saying that complications can happen to anyone. What matters is how quickly your surgeons react. I’ve had amazing surgeons who acted the moment they saw something. I may have been fine without hospitalisation, but they’re being ultra safe.

IgnoredByMods

Just deeper that if I was doing this in Turkey I probably would’ve died by now 😂

Having smaller embolisms means that there’s a higher surface area so it’s easier to clean up the lungs. The big ones can cause ischemic strokes or have similar symptoms.

I am pretty interested in medical science so seeing these complications is really cool. Just a shame that I was unlucky to have them 😂.

These complications have nothing to do with surgeon skill. My body just didn’t like LL I suppose,   happens.

I’d still do it over again. Every complication that came up was solved very quickly thanks to the attention to detail of Dr Michal and Dr Tomasz. Fever at midnight? Got 1am medication delivered to my door. Bleeding? Saw a urologist to check that there isn’t any damage. Embolism? Saw a cardiologist and my oxygen is being constantly monitored. Right now it’s at 97-98% which is really good.

Couldn’t have chosen a better place to do it. Any complications are dealt with rapidly.

My flexibility is really good and I can walk kind of normally with a walker. Thanks to the amazing physiotherapy and surgery team.

Temoc

Just deeper that if I was doing this in Turkey I probably would’ve died by now 😂

Having smaller embolisms means that there’s a higher surface area so it’s easier to clean up the lungs. The big ones can cause ischemic strokes or have similar symptoms.

I am pretty interested in medical science so seeing these complications is really cool. Just a shame that I was unlucky to have them 😂.

These complications have nothing to do with surgeon skill. My body just didn’t like LL I suppose,   happens.

I’d still do it over again. Every complication that came up was solved very quickly thanks to the attention to detail of Dr Michal and Dr Tomasz. Fever at midnight? Got 1am medication delivered to my door. Bleeding? Saw a urologist to check that there isn’t any damage. Embolism? Saw a cardiologist and my oxygen is being constantly monitored. Right now it’s at 97-98% which is really good.

Couldn’t have chosen a better place to do it. Any complications are dealt with rapidly.

My flexibility is really good and I can walk kind of normally with a walker. Thanks to the amazing physiotherapy and surgery team.

Are you a vaper by any chance? Paley said vapers are at a bigger risk for fat embolism syndrome. The small fat embolisms are more common due to LL. Big embolisms are more common when you break a bone due to an accident.

bruhh

Yikes...I think you're putting too much faith in the "Paley" marketing scheme, these are not normal complications and a pretty resounding rebuke of whatever this "Paley Institute" in Poland is considering this is the first case study done on this forum. I am not surprised by the lack of quality in the accommodations and partners considering he has essentially franchised his name to multiple countries outside the US (as well as 9 different locations in Florida) and continues to upcharge the price of every lengthening service. This has to be at least a 9 figure business endeavor for him now. Just to note that because he was first to introduce cosmetic lengthening to the West 40 years ago does not automatically make him or his associates the best. If I recall correctly, Paley himself doesn't even do most of the surgeries at his own clinic anymore due to age (and probably due to status). To anyone reading, consult multiple doctors and be skeptical of everything they say, because in the end this is a cosmetic procedure and they are going to tell you what you want to hear. Don't confuse quality care with experienced business tactics. As a LL vet, these are very scary complications. I hope you are able to make a steady recovery OP.

IgnoredByMods

Are you a vaper by any chance? Paley said vapers are at a bigger risk for fat embolism syndrome. The small fat embolisms are more common due to LL. Big embolisms are more common when you break a bone due to an accident.

I have never vaped or smoked.

The reason why Paley said that is because he had a case where a vaper spent 1 year in the ICU under ventilation.

IgnoredByMods

Yikes...I think you're putting too much faith in the "Paley" marketing scheme, these are not normal complications and a pretty resounding rebuke of whatever this "Paley Institute" in Poland is considering this is the first case study done on this forum. I am not surprised by the lack of quality in the accommodations and partners considering he has essentially franchised his name to multiple countries outside the US (as well as 9 different locations in Florida) and continues to upcharge the price of every lengthening service. This has to be at least a 9 figure business endeavor for him now. Just to note that because he was first to introduce cosmetic lengthening to the West 40 years ago does not automatically make him or his associates the best. If I recall correctly, Paley himself doesn't even do most of the surgeries at his own clinic anymore due to age (and probably due to status). To anyone reading, consult multiple doctors and be skeptical of everything they say, because in the end this is a cosmetic procedure and they are going to tell you what you want to hear. Don't confuse quality care with experienced business tactics. As a LL vet, these are very scary complications. I hope you are able to make a steady recovery OP.

They're definitely pretty rare complications. I had an ultrasound of my liver and kidneys and there is no damage to them thankfully. I have a high concentration of transaminases in my blood which means that my liver is working overtime to clear up the fat emboli. I have a raised heart rate which would indicate that my heart is increasing circulation to prevent clots and to filter the fat embolism particles in the liver. My kidneys have no damage which means that it's handling the excretion of fats well.

I will have a lung tenography to see how it is. After that, I should be healthy again (assuming that the emboli are cleared out / are clearing out).

I don't think it was due to my surgeon. I was am healthy, young, and never smoked/vaped. My bones are also very wide which means that minimal rimming was required. I was probably very unlucky as in theory I'm one of the lowest risk groups. As long as I don't get permanent damage, I don't really care. Praying that it clears up (blood tests are indicating that is the case).

ThirdSpace

• Visitor

Did you get both femurs done at one time or one femur at a time? The latter option may have been better.

IgnoredByMods

Did you get both femurs done at one time or one femur at a time? The latter option may have been better.

I got both femurs done at the same time (bilateral).

li2028

• Visitor

Hi, Hope you feel better soon. Keep Safe!

Robert Adam

Did you make 8 cm?

IgnoredByMods

Hi, Hope you feel better soon. Keep Safe!

Thank you so much!

IgnoredByMods

TheDream

I wonder what could be the source of the pulmonary embolism as I presume they monitor oxygen levels while in the ICU after surgery, and saw no signs of it hence the original discharge from the ICU.

I’m guessing the fat enters the system via the breakage point in the femurs post surgery? Maybe a bit was missed in the reaming during surgery and then entered the system once moving around after the discharge?

IgnoredByMods

I wonder what could be the source of the pulmonary embolism as I presume they monitor oxygen levels while in the ICU after surgery, and saw no signs of it hence the original discharge from the ICU.

I’m guessing the fat enters the system via the breakage point in the femurs post surgery? Maybe a bit was missed in the reaming during surgery and then entered the system once moving around after the discharge?

It is a pretty interesting one. I didn't have one big fat embolism (the most common type). Instead, I had a pretty rare type where I had very small ones which aren't big enough to cause clots but instead get filtered out by the lungs. It is as if a huge embolism was broken into a million pieces. As they were so small, it would make sense why they weren't detected early on and took a while to show clinical symptoms.

As of today, my symptoms are gone (no more blood) and my oxygen saturation is pretty good (sometimes it gets as high as 100%). Feeling quite optimistic now.

li2028

• Visitor

Good to know. It is good news.  :D

GoodJuju

• Visitor

Sorry to hear of your complications @Longtors. Wishing you a smooth ride ahead from here. Out of interest, did the FE happen 6days after surgery? Typically such a complication happens close to the surgery right with the highest FR risk being during surgery then quite high the days immediately following (and the risk of FE/ PE drops off significantly after 2 weeks post op)?

curiousprospectivepatient

• Visitor

Did LongTorso survive the pulmonary embolism? He hasn't replied on here in over a month. Praying he is okay.

li2028

• Visitor

Hi LongTorso, Hope you are feeling better now!

IgnoredByMods

Update 18/03/2024

TL;DR I have severe nerve pain and total loss of sensation in my right leg despite taking the maximum dosage of  a nerve painkiller (pregabalin (600mg)).

On Thursday March 7, I felt an electrical shock sensation in my right leg during a physiotherapy session. By the next day, I lost complete sensation of my right leg in the lower third of the right, affecting the ankle and Achilles tendon. I was advised to stop lengthening on Saturday March 9, but this missed the root cause of the nerve problems.

On Saturday March 9, the loss of sensation expanded to include the middle third of my shinbone and the right side of my knee. If you look at a dermatome map, you can see that this correlates with the L4 nerve region. This is pretty interesting given that in February I complained of back pain in the L3-L5 regions after removing my epidural.

Symptoms over the following days (Sunday 10th March to Wednesday 13th March) worsened:
- An S-shape numbness across the lower leg,
- Nerve pain which feels like someone is trying to rip my skin off with their nails,
- A sensation of overheated nerves, which I theorise might be the brain's response to the lack of sensation, attempting to 'turn up' the nerve signal (electricity) which generates heat,
- A strange sensation similar to strong winds against my skin.

On Wednesday 13th March, the pain was so unbearable so I went to seek help at the clinic at 4pm (1 hour before closing). Despite taking the maximum dosage of nerve painkillers I was in agonising pain. The doctors were gone but there was a really kind physiotherapist who gave a nerve massage. The massage provided the intensity of the symptoms temporarily but it did not alleviate my symptoms entirely.

On Thursday 14th March, I contacted the doctors and was told that there is little that can be done and they will get an external anaesthesiologist to see me on Friday 15th March.

On Friday 15th March, the anaesthesiologist used an ultrasound to locate my femoral artery. Once he did this, he followed it to find my saphenous nerve. His idea was that he will do a nerve block, and if my symptoms go away because of the block in that region, then it is likely that the nerve problems came from that region.

The procedure was extremely painful and left a bruise. The way it works is, they grab a needle which is about 5cm, they stuck it inside my leg very quickly (this avoids the needle tilting), and then they were rotating the needle inside my leg for a few minutes (extremely painful, it felt like my nerve was being scratched). After this, they injected lidocaine and the neuropathic symptoms were gone. This gave us the final diagnosis: adductor canal syndrome.

I spoke to some Paley US patients and apparently this syndrome is common in the US clinic. According to a Paley Europe physiotherapist, there was another LL patient who had similar symptoms to me.  I was disappointed that the lead clinic (Paley US) does not make it clear that complications are a lot more common than they advertise. It gives patients misinformed expectations as the Paley brand has created this perception that everything will be fine but me and other patients have experienced so many complications. More transparency is needed with the entire Paley brand, especially in the US clinic.

I was offered to get an extremely painful nerve long-lasting block (which will not regain my sensation) or I could do a surgery which regains my sensitivity in days. Every rational person would rather have a comfortable surgery which restores your sensation instead of a "bandage" procedure where your nerves are scratched (unsure if it was actually scratched or if it's the feeling) to decrease the nerve sensitivity and then a long-lasting nerve block which doesn't restore sensation to your leg.

During the weekend (Saturday 16th March and Sunday 17th March) I informed the surgeons that despite the nerve block procedure my nerve symptoms were returning as the block wore off. On Sunday 17th March I requested to see a doctor the next day to discuss the possibility of doing the surgery to restore my nerve as I couldn't take this anymore.

On Monday 18th March I spoke to the surgeon saying I wanted to do the surgery and that was it really. After that I was told by the Limb Lengthening Coordinator at the Paley Europe clinic that the surgery wouldn't be scheduled until I received the price estimate.

Then I receive it: 6980 euros for a simple 20-30 minute surgery (open leg, move muscle so it doesn't pinch the nerve, stitch leg) and a 1-day hospital stay in a Polish hospital.

I shared this cost with other LL patients in Paley Europe and they sent me costs of nerve decompression surgeries in Poland. The cost is around 1000-4000 zloty which is less than 1000 USD (around 800 euros). I'm not sure if this is the normal pricing or if I'm being taken advantage of due to the pain and honestly it doesn't matter. I will check the price of the private hospital next to me, and if it's 10x cheaper I will do it with them instead.

If it's indeed 5-10x cheaper for a surgery in the same private hospital, I will be really shocked. This paragraph is a bit of a rant as I think the cost is excessive for Poland given what other private hospitals nearby with top surgeons charge. It's not about the money, but about the principle. If there is an equally safe surgery which is 10x cheaper at the same hospital, the cost strategy of Paley Europe seems really uncompetitive for complications. This surgery is extremely simple, low-risk, and takes less than 30 minutes. I am only staying in hospital for 1-day so why am I being quoted 7500 USD when I've seen a nerve decompression surgery (for the elbow, but still) costing 500 USD nearby?

My discussions with another limb lengthening patient from Paley Europe revealed similar shock at the quote I received. We thought that the surgery would be 2,000 USD (Paley premium) as the local costs are 500-1000 USD. We had both anticipated a "Paley premium" but not to the extent of a 5-10x multiplier over local rates.  If it's really that much cheaper, I recommend that future Paley patients with complications get the surgeries in nearby private hospitals as all clinics overcharge a lot.

Now, as of today, I've had an agonising nerve block procedure and non-stop nerve pain for the past 10 days.  I just want this agony to end.

IgnoredByMods

Update 18/03/2024 (Psychologist Appointment)

TL;DR This is a really personal post where I share my thoughts about my journey. I shared them with the Paley Europe psychologist and I thought I'd share how I am here as people have been requesting for updates. I feel lonely. I feel scared. I feel that I am not in control.

Today I spoke with a psychologist from the Paley Europe clinic. She understood my English but struggled to speak English so we used Google Translate to communicate. Would be nice if we had an interpreter.

Last week I dislocated my left knee and tore my ligaments on my left leg as I fell. It was traumatising and I felt so vulnerable. I called the Limb Lengthening Coordinator and didn't get a reply. I called the doctor and he didn't pick up (understandable, he was busy with another patient). I called the shuttle driver and didn't get an answer (I understand, he left his phone in the car).

Now imagine me, a guy who is barely in his 20s, laying in wet concrete floor screaming in pain from the top of my lungs because I had a dislocated left knee. I partially tore my patella ligament and my MCL. My lower leg was perpendicular to my upper leg, that's how bad it was.

I called everyone I knew but no one picked up, I felt so vulnerable and just felt like breaking down crying. Then, I decided to call the CEO of Paley Europe. He has been extremely kind to me since I had the embolism. He paid me a visit in hospital and I really appreciate his help. He was able to get me the shuttle when my knee was dislocated.

I had an x-ray done and then an ultrasound to see if my ligaments were fine. They weren't. I tore my MCL and patella ligament partially. Thankfully my meniscus was fine.

I am now ok and I regained my ROM on my left leg.

However, today during my appointment with the psychologist I poured my heart out. And I'm sharing it with you.

I feel lonely here. All my family and friends are in another country. If something happens to me, I am relying fully on the Paley Europe clinic.

And who was the only person I could rely on a Monday morning with a dislocated knee while crying and screaming from pain on the floor? The CEO. This makes me feel so vulnerable... what happens to me if I have an emergency on a weekend?

During the weekends, the clinic is closed and everyone takes hours to answer (or sometimes they only reply on Monday). Understandable, they have a life and family. However, I feel so vulnerable because I feel like if I have an emergency, I cannot get immediate help. The emergency services here hang up on me before as they didn't speak English. Anyone including the LL coordinator who is the person who's supposed to help you with issues take ages to reply during times of need.

During my conversation with the Paley Europe Psychologist, I told her everything in this post.

I genuinely miss being in hospital. There I could press a button and someone would take care of me and speak to me for a bit. Now I am alone in my apartment, the only socialising I have is online with my friends and with gaming. But to me this isn't enough as I'm not used to this. I am not ashamed to admit that I cried about this in my room alone before. I toughened up since then I guess but deep down it still hurts.

During my conversation with the psychologist, I told her everything (everything in this post, read below for the next part).

I've had quite a few severe complications so far and I feel like I've lost control of my life.
- When my catheter was removed, I was peeing blood for 4 weeks because it was removed roughly.
- After my epidural was removed roughly, I've had spinal pain that has not gone away.
- I've had a really serious pulmonary embolism which made me cough huge clots of blood (3-5cm long). 50-70% of my lungs were covered in fat and I spent a week in an Intensive Care Unit to treat my condition. This specific embolism was rare so the doctor in charge of me (a cardiologist) was using research papers to find an effective treatment.

Let's pause for a second, now imagine this. You are alone in a foreign country. You feel lonely and vulnerable (read what I said above) and now you've got such a nasty embolism that someone's reading scientific journals to find a cure. Yes, I was terrified and I think I've just come to terms with it.

- I dislocated my knee and tore some ligaments. I couldn't get help from anyone but the CEO on a Monday morning when the clinic was open. What will happen to me if I have another emergency? What if that emergency is on the weekend? In my head, if I found it so hard to get help when I was screaming on the floor when the clinic was open, what will I do when it is closed?
- I have a nerve complication which gives me excruciating pain. I am in agony from this. I am now scared of moving my leg because if I make a wrong movement I'll have a bunch of painful symptoms.

This is what I told my psychologist and I thought I'd share it.

I feel lonely as I hardly get human interactions.
I feel like I am not in control anymore as something bad keeps happening.
I feel scared because I don't know what will happen to me if I have an emergency at night or at a weekend.

IgnoredByMods

Sorry to hear of your complications @Longtors. Wishing you a smooth ride ahead from here. Out of interest, did the FE happen 6days after surgery? Typically such a complication happens close to the surgery right with the highest FR risk being during surgery then quite high the days immediately following (and the risk of FE/ PE drops off significantly after 2 weeks post op)?

Hey! Yes that is right. I had my embolism nearly a week post surgery.

IgnoredByMods

Did LongTorso survive the pulmonary embolism? He hasn't replied on here in over a month. Praying he is okay.

Thanks for checking up on me. I survived. I posted two updates sharing what complications I have now (nerve pain) and how I am currently feeling. Enjoy the reading!

IgnoredByMods

I made a steady recovery for the lungs I believe (haven't had a final scan to see if it fully cleared up though). I've had new problems since. Hope you enjoy the read!

IgnoredByMods

Despite the two posts, I am really thankful for the support when it was time to receive it.

I was given steroids to help the pulmonary embolism go away.

I was given a custom knee orthosis to keep my knee straight when I dislocated it.

I was offered a back MRI but I'm too scared to do it because we don't know if active PRECISE nails inside a patient are safe. Nuvasive has not certified it so. I didn't want to risk it despite having chronic back pain in the area of the epidural.

Someone came off to drop aspirin and paracetamol when I had a fever at night on the first few days post-surgery. I was crying in pain as not even a couple tablets of tramadol could reduce the inflammation pain.

My nerve issues got identified within a week (however I feel like I had to push a bit to get things moving faster and to get a diagnosis). There was a non-invasive attempt which wasn't guaranteed to work, but at least we got a diagnosis. Now I've been offered a surgery to fix this.

When I get to the treatment, it is fantastic. I have no complaints about any of the treatments I received. Dr Michal and Dr Tomasz have solved them.

The physiotherapy is top class, I have reached full range of motion in my quads and other muscles. I am walking very well thanks to their support and encouragement to keep me pushing. I would argue that Paley Europe has PTs which are even better than the ones in the USA as they train for longer.

Exercise is what keeps me sane currently. I am trying to entertain myself with business work, exercise, and movies.

I don't doubt the ability of the clinic to find solutions to my problems and to solve them. However I find that sometimes it takes quite a while to reach the person you need. For example, recently I didn't receive my PT timetable so I sent a message to the PT coordinator on Sunday at around 5pm. I only got a response showing my PT timetable on Monday at 9:45am and it was from the Limb Lengthening Coordinator. From the time I received my PT, I had 2 hours to plan myself accordingly so that I replied to work emails, showered, had breakfast, did warm-up exercises for PT, and got dressed. This leaves little time for me to plan my day as things feel very last minute at time.

Deep down I know that I'm in good hands, they're all really qualified. But I'm still terrified of this whole process regardless. Something new is always coming up, and it takes a bit of persistence to get help. That, and me feeling like I have no social net here to fall back on.

IgnoredByMods

The ForumAdmin has edited my diary, ignoring my request to provide a more accurate and representative of this diary.

For all readers, take this diary as partially fake, exaggerated, or fictional.

The moderators of this website have refused to allow me to provide proof of claims in my diary (making it more credible or high-quality). Thus, they prefer traffic to this diary over providing credible, high-quality diaries with medical images to this diary.

Due to the lack of cooperation, I decided that I will no longer update this diary until ForumAdmin allows me to provide an accurate, fact-checked diary.

To emphasise, this diary is partly exaggerated and in retrospect I wanted to fix it and provide proof, but the forum admins have refused to give this opportunity.

Assume this diary to be fully fictional, exaggerated, or downright fake as there is no evidence whatsoever (supported by the forum admins).

IgnoredByMods

Because the ForumAdmin has edited my diary without my permission (I asked for something completely different) I cannot confirm which updates are mine and which ones are not.

The first (original) post is clear but the rest isn't. The ForumAdmin has asked for a good reason in this thread: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=85201.0

I hope that this is a good reason, there are multiple authors (not just me, the supposed patient).

The other good reason? I have some CDs with X-Rays and some reports. At the time of some of these updates I wrote what I thought was correct, but this was not the case once I saw a doctor. In many updates, the diagnosis and prognosis are a lot different from what I said. Now, with a second author, this diary is a whole mess.

This diary is full of inaccuracies and was written on emotion. Very disappointing to see an unwillingness to fix this.

ForumAdmin

• SupportGrp
  • Visitor

Because the ForumAdmin has edited my diary without my permission (I asked for something completely different) I cannot confirm which updates are mine and which ones are not.

The first (original) post is clear but the rest isn't. The ForumAdmin has asked for a good reason in this thread: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=85201.0

I hope that this is a good reason, there are multiple authors (not just me, the supposed patient).

You are making a incorrect statement that anyone can verify easily.   

In case you are unaware, there is a forum message which states clearly when a post is edited.  the only post edited is the original 1st post of this topic

" Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 08:26:08 AM by Admin »"

with the following edit added to the post

Mod Note: The OP (original poster) has request to include a footnote warning against HGH.  do read the entire topic for the full details on HGH .

" Some patients may want to inject themselves with HGH because they think they can just take it and it'll make them taller. "

This topic is a merge of two  topics by the OP

Original Post as follow

For all readers, take this diary as partially fake, exaggerated, or fictional.

The moderators of this website have refused to allow me to provide proof of claims in my diary (making it more credible or high-quality). Thus, they prefer traffic to this diary over providing credible, high-quality diaries with medical images to this diary.
Due to the lack of cooperation, I decided that I will no longer update this diary until ForumAdmin allows me to provide an accurate, fact-checked diary.
To emphasise, this diary is partly exaggerated and in retrospect I wanted to fix it and provide proof, but the forum admins have refused to give this opportunity.

It's quite clear to anyone with a unbiased view that you are the  only one choosing not to update the diary with any new information, and using this as a threatening tactic to delete the old diary , which we will not accept due to the issue of integrity

Since you have cast doubt on the integrity of your own diary, and do not wish to update. kindly do as you say and do not continue to stir drama on this matter.    This topic will be locked
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 09:20:57 AM by Admin »

IgnoredByMods

I decided to restart my diary as unfortunately the admin decided to merge a HGH diary with a LL diary without my permission which made it a whole mess. When I complained they ignored me and closed the diary, very sad that they just don't care.

The previous diary also was very vague on complications and as it was written right when they happened it was exaggerated as the diary was used as a rant rather than a factual diary. Because of this, I want to give patients a real factual diary with useful medical information rather than a rant diary full of exaggerations on the pain and what actually happened to pain me in a better light. I want to be reasonable so patients make an informed choice.

Starting measurements
Morning Height: 5'8.5 (173cm)
Sitting Height: 3'6 (106 cm)
Wingspan: 5'11 (180cm)
Inseam: 25-26" (Yes, that's right, complete nightmare to find clothes)
Femur (measured in an MRI scan): 45.7cm
Tibia: 36.5cm
Tibia/femur ratio: 0.78
Chest: 42 inches (No I'm not very muscular)
Weight: 81kg / 176lbs (17% body fat, weight comes from wide and large upper body).

Now, this sounds strange. You're saying 80 cm for the legs but 106cm sitting height? Is it the glutes? No. I have pretty bad lordosis and some mild scoliosis which takes away quite a bit of height while standing.

Limb analysis from my pre-surgery appointment:
Right knee full extension and Ely test negative.
Left knee full extension and Ely test negative.
Mild Varus Knee (Corrected after surgery)
Left Leg Step Length: 58.3cm
Right Leg Step Length: 57.7cm
Length of gait cycle: 116.1cm
Width of gait cycle: 13.7cm

Pre-surgery I did a gait analysis which analysed lower body kinematics, lower body kinetics, temporal and spatial, MAP, EMG, Hip Flexion VS Extension, and Displacement. Pretty interesting data but my brain isn't big enough to understand what any of that means. Makes sense to the physios and doctors so that's good enough for me.

Smoker: Never
Vaping: Never
Chronic diseases: None
Permanent Medications: None
Previous Surgical Procedures: None
Sports Activity: Occasionally go to gym (1-2x a week, maybe 3 if I'm very motivated).

I avoided doing strength training 1-2 years before my surgery because if my tendons are too strong they could possibly bend the nail.

Measurements at the time of writing this diary (5.2cm into lengthening):
Morning Height: 5'10 (178cm)
Weight: 75kg / 165 lbs (Lost quite a bit of weight from LL)
Inseam is approaching 30" which is pretty nice, my trousers actually fit me properly now.
Rest of the measurements are pretty similar I guess.

In this diary I will talk about my experiences in surgery and as a current LL patient doing aggressive physiotherapy.

I will also talk about my experiences with Dr Paley, Dr Deszczyński, Dr Albrewczyński, and physiotherapists.

IgnoredByMods

Why did you decide to do limb lengthening?
Many people decide to do LL because they are insecure or have poor dating prospects. My situation is different.

I want to do LL because of the social benefits that come with being taller. The taller you are, you are perceived as a better leader and thus more competent. These biases mean that if you are a business owner, it makes sense to do LL. Increasing your chances of getting a high-value contract means that the surgery will pay for itself eventually.

I have a good dating life and I am relatively happy with my life. I have a tall sitting height so I notice that people treat me differently when they see me as being taller. These micro-interactions reaffirmed my desire to do LL. By doing LL I will increase my success in business (confidence is a result of positive reinforcement by others, taller people are praised hence why they are perceived as more confident).

TL;DR Not for dating or women. I did LL because it will improve my business and job prospects.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up