Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Quadrilateral lengthening - Dr. Paley & Robbins  (Read 9754 times)

motoboarder

Quadrilateral lengthening - Dr. Paley & Robbins
« on: January 20, 2022, 09:51:28 PM »

Hello LL friends,

Just another case of limb lengthening here. I'm doing tibias + femurs at the Paley institutes. Dr. Robbins & Paley will perform on me. My tibia surgery already happened on the 01/18/2022. I've been super busy setting up the logistics for this journey. Therefore I wasn't able to post this diary earlier. I'll go back in the correct timeline to share with you guys what I've done to prepare for this. As also, any feedback/suggestion is much appreciated.

A little about me:
- Asian male, not married
- Night height: 163cm, weight ~135 lbs

Background: I work in IT industry. Covid & working from home made this procedure an easy possibility.

Logistics: I reside in the west coast. I made a move to West Palm Beach (WPB) just for this journey. Yep you heard it right. I signed a 1-year lease for a 2d2ba apartment. My apartment is very close to their recommended extended hotels. I also work with 2 wheelchair taxi companies to assist with my commute. My reasoning for the move: I've spent hours reading previous patients' experiences, read the Paley's paper thoroughly, pretty much did my homework. I think the environmental support is also important for recovery. So I moved my whole life package here to ensure that. I had what I need every day to maintain an uplifting life: Sonos speakers, 55" TV, sofa, dining table, well setup living room, standup desk, work laptop + 2 monitors, etc you get the point.

Help: I was very very very lucky to have my older sister here with me. She flew here from Asia on a B2 visa and will be staying with me for about 3mo. She cooks plenty delicious food and is very caring - a great emotional support for me.

That's about it for intro. Let me know if I miss any info that could be useful for other LL patients or anyone wondering about this sophisticated adventure.
Asian male age 30-36; 163cm -> Gained 4cm tibias & 5.6cm femurs
Tibia surgery 01/18/2022; Femur surgery 02/01/2022
Diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=69090.0
Recommended wheelchair transport in West Palm Beach: East Coast Taxi (561) 651-1111 (please DON'T mention it's from me)

motoboarder

Re: Quadrilateral lengthening - Dr. Paley & Robbins
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 09:59:24 PM »

testing..
Recommended wheelchair transport in West Palm Beach: East Coast Taxi (561) 651-1111 (please DON'T mention it's from me)

motoboarder

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 10:16:14 PM »

OK, here is the timeline of how my journey started.

Several years ago, I got to know about LL. At that point it was just a vague idea in my head and I wasn't sure I want to do it. I did a lot of readings about different doctors in the world. I concluded the top 3 in my researches: Dr Rozbruch NY, Shahab Mahboubian in CA, and the Paley Institutes.

End of summer 2021, I decided to have consultancy with Dr. R & Paley. I called both places to setup appt. The thing standing out with Paley's is that the process seemed well organized. They even sent potential patient a couple of research papers. Being an engineer myself, a process with thorough documentation stood out to me.

10/20/2021: I flew to NY to talk to Dr. R. My appt was at 1pm but I waited until 5pm to get to meet him. I was hungry and tired. I was glad to meet him in person and asked him the story about Sam (a pretty famous patient of R who did 8cm femur lengthening at the age of 25). Sam was recovering fine according to R. I think he is over 30yo now. Here I had my x-ray taken.

10/26/2021: Consultancy with Dr. Robbins at the Paley's institutes. I was given a tour of the area where all LL patients were being treated. I also got to talk to a guy who was lengthening his tibias. He did femurs a year before, and came back to do tibias. The institutes look nice and people seemed caring here. I felt that LL procedure has been engineered to be a mature program here. So I made the decision to go to Paley's.

--------------- IMPORTANT : STRETCHING PREPARATION FOR THE BIG SURGERY -------------------------

In my 1st consultant day with Dr. Robbins, he said I'm quite tight, that everybody's tight. He suggested me to do running stretches before surgery. I was doing it at least 30min every day from then until my surgery.

This is an example of my exercise: https://www.purewow.com/wellness/best-hamstring-stretches. But in each move, I pushed myself to the limit. At the end of the 2mo, I was able to perform these:
1. STANDING TOE TOUCH: my whole palm touched the ground and elbow almost touched the ground also. I.e. I can sniff my knee
6. SEATED HAMSTRING STRETCH: back straight, I can sniff my knee
8. SEATED WIDE-LEG HAMSTRING STRETCH: leaned a lot forward with my elbow touching the ground. I can sniff the floor.
10. LYING HAMSTRING STRETCH WITH BAND: leg on the ground is straight, raising leg formed a >90 degree angle with the other leg.

Just so you get the idea, just push more than the limit visualized in those pictures. My personal story, 2-3 weeks into stretching, my legs hurt a lot especially the hamstrings. I even developed drop-foot symptoms on my left leg, i.e. when I walk, the left foot drops more and even makes noticeable sound with my shoe lace. That went away later as it seemed the foot got used to the new looseness. 1+ mo into stretching, I got a feeling that I torn my left hamstring (like a sound you could hear/feel when you tear a piece of meat). This went together with a dark blue bruise at the back of my left thigh. Was a bit worried so I went to zoomcare to checkup, but it was OK. They advice me to go easy on myself (lol). Then fast forward 2mo into stretching, I was able to perform all those moves at ease. I could even hold each position for 45s instead of 30s. Then I knew that my hamstrings were much loosen.

01/10/2022 when I had pre-surgery talk with Dr. Robbins, he examined me and said that I'm very loose compared to other people.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:22:41 PM by motoboarder »

motoboarder

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:32:15 PM »

I was scheduled to have tibias surgery on 01/11/2022 and femurs on 02/01/2022 (3 weeks apart)

12/27/2021: Me & my sister flew to WPB. We had to stay in a temp airbnb place for 2 weeks before our apartment is ready for move-in.

01/07/2022: Moved in the new apt, rushing to setup things.

01/10/2022: Pre-surgery administration & PCR covid test

01/11/2022: Came in for surgery at 6am to find out my covid test was positive. They called me few hours later asked that I need to be quarantined for 7 day. My tibias surgery would be delayed to 01/18/2022. But my femur's stay the same. So it's only 2 week apart now.

01/18/2022: Came in at 6am. They prepped me for a pretty long time. MAKE SURE you revise everything you read before signing. My 1st surgery is tibias, but somehow the prepped paper was saying femurs which is wrong. I spotted it & alerted the nurses, explaining to them how my procedure works: tibias first, then 2-3 weeks later femurs. The nurse who composed the paper was called in to print another paper for me to sign. Things are good then at this point. Just a bit of confusion, no big deal. They also drew my blood again because the one done a week ago was no longer valid (they said those are only valid for 72h)

The anesthesia doctor came in to give me a consent before pumping the drug. I remember saying goodbye to my sister around 9-10am. Then they rolled me to a room with lots of bright white lights when I lost consciousness soon after. When I woke up it's already 3-4pm. They let my sister come in seeing me, and I knew the surgery was done. They rolled me to my care room.

Highest

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:56:02 PM »

What is your lengthening goal?

motoboarder

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:58:23 PM »

I'm aiming for 4cm tibia & 5.5cm femur

Highest

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 12:14:38 AM »

I'm aiming for 4cm tibia & 5.5cm femur

Seems reasonable for quad lengthening. Good luck.

yin

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 07:27:13 AM »

Wow you waited 4 hours to see Dr R? That's a long wait. I have heard even patients end up waiting for hours before meeting him during follow-ups. He is also extremely expensive and I don't know if it's worth paying the extra price.

I think you made a great choice going to Paley institute. It's very well organised.

motoboarder

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 11:54:49 AM »

Thanks Highest & yin. I'm discharged today. I'll post details of my 1st hospital stay when I get home.

GodsGrace

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 03:01:41 AM »

Hey man, I was really shocked to see your diary. Don't know you are an exact copy of me or my diary. I am doing quadilateral, original surgery date was 11th and on that day of surgery I was told I had covid then they asked me to quarantine for a week, And on 17th I went for a pre-op then paley's management told the nurses that no need for a covid test for me again and just finish the pre-op testing formalities. I was given a tag on my right hand and the surgery was morning 8 AM on 18th. My tibia surgery was done by 1 PM in the afternoon and I was rolled over the patient resting room where my wife was waiting to see me. OMG!! pretty much the same date, same covid confusion and same surgery model. I also moved to WPB to have this surgery done and not staying in paley's recommended hotes.....LOL!!!!
Male: 35 to 40
Old Height: 158 cms, New Height: 168 cms
Lengthened: 9.6 cms (Tibia - 3.9 cms, Femur - 5.7 cms)
Surgeries: Tibia - Jan-18-2022 & Femur -  Feb-03-2022
My Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=67836.0

GodsGrace

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 03:08:34 AM »

My original tibial surgery date was 01/17/2022 but was pushed to 01/18/2022.
Expected femoral surgery date still remains the same 02/01/2022 (Feb 1st).I have only 2 weeks in between Hopefully everything goes good for me. Despite the first surgery date was pushed a week after my second surgery date remains the same as Paley is travelling and out of country for few weeks after the 2d Feb. That's what they told me.

I have a feeling that I saw on that day of surgery where they were doing a pre-op formalities including setting up the IV tubes. I believe I saw 4 guys but not sure which one are you and whether you saw me or not. Interesting!!!

GodsGrace

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 03:22:52 AM »

Hey buddy, I know who you are :-). PM me when you get a chance!

motoboarder

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 01:25:07 AM »

Hey buddy, I know who you are :-). PM me when you get a chance!

Hey just PM you :). But not sure if it went through. It's been a while since I used any forum like this.

GodsGrace

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 01:56:50 AM »

Responded to your PM.

My legs are super swollen up until now and the femur surgery is in another 8 days. Hopefully the knee to toe swelling lessens well before the next surgery. If not then we will be super f**ked. At that time the swelling will be from hip to toe. Fingers crossed.

You weigh 135 lbs and I weigh 170 lbs so it's going to be more tougher for me than you. God speed.

GodsGrace

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »

Hey motoboarder, one more tip while using the ice pack machine. You may already know this. When you keep it on for a longer period of times make sure to increase the room temperature. The first day when I kept for more than 20 hours I got chills and fever at least twice and I had to take more tylenol only for that. Then I asked the nurse could you increase the room temperature to 80 oh boy that helped a lot. The whole night night and day I was sweaty and ice packs on the legs do not bother at all and it felt really nice. I am doing the same thing at home as well. Hope that helps!!

GodsGrace

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 02:08:01 PM »

Hey buddy, your first outpatient PT is today at 7 AM right? How did it go?

Also, forgot to ask you, did you get your braces already? Have you been using them already? If yes can you share your experience with that?

motoboarder

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 09:52:47 PM »

Hey buddy, your first outpatient PT is today at 7 AM right? How did it go?

Also, forgot to ask you, did you get your braces already? Have you been using them already? If yes can you share your experience with that?

1st world of advice: if you're out for early AM PT, wear warm. I wasn't prepared & wear a short. The morning cold worsened my pain.

Thanks man for the tips using the ice pack.

Yes I got my braces from Falk Prosthetics looks like they partnered with Paley. The boosts are customized for each patient now. They were heated to expand a bit to anticipate the swollen leg size when I came pick them up, so they weren't too bad to me. Experiences: wearing a long socks will probably help. When I didn't wear socks, the area close to my toes pushed against the base, so it hurts and woke me up at night. A long socks should help your legs "breath" better. I wear short socks so the back of my tibias kinda "sticky" against the boosts, but wasn't too bothering me.

1st PT was OK with basic stretches of the calf & hamstring. My left leg is fine but the right one has a weird annoying pain: a tiny twist of my foot would radiate a sharp lev-8 pain to my tibia bone (I think) where the breakage is. So it's annoyingly sensitive if someone/something collides with my ankle or foot front even just softly. Do you have any similar symptom? I'll ask for an x-ray taken tomorrow if they let me.

SuchLL

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 11:47:39 PM »

1st world of advice: if you're out for early AM PT, wear warm. I wasn't prepared & wear a short. The morning cold worsened my pain.

Thanks man for the tips using the ice pack.

Yes I got my braces from Falk Prosthetics looks like they partnered with Paley. The boosts are customized for each patient now. They were heated to expand a bit to anticipate the swollen leg size when I came pick them up, so they weren't too bad to me. Experiences: wearing a long socks will probably help. When I didn't wear socks, the area close to my toes pushed against the base, so it hurts and woke me up at night. A long socks should help your legs "breath" better. I wear short socks so the back of my tibias kinda "sticky" against the boosts, but wasn't too bothering me.

1st PT was OK with basic stretches of the calf & hamstring. My left leg is fine but the right one has a weird annoying pain: a tiny twist of my foot would radiate a sharp lev-8 pain to my tibia bone (I think) where the breakage is. So it's annoyingly sensitive if someone/something collides with my ankle or foot front even just softly. Do you have any similar symptom? I'll ask for an x-ray taken tomorrow if they let me.

You can ask your PT to give you pairs of compression socks. They are free and I probably got 6 pairs.

motoboarder

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 11:56:27 PM »

You can ask your PT to give you pairs of compression socks. They are free and I probably got 6 pairs.

Thanks SuchLL, I'll ask the PT.

GodsGrace

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 01:40:21 AM »

Hey man, thanks for the update on your first PT experience. I thought mine is today but it actually starts tomorrow at 4 PM. By the way when is your appointment to get the lengthening device? Have you already started lengthening?

randomperson

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2022, 02:33:00 AM »

How's your experience been? How are things moto?

tallerwouldbenice

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2022, 03:53:28 AM »

Hey, I've had similar pain when twisting leg (femur though). In my case it was new bone growth rubbing against soft tissues. Your doctor should be able to assess that on your x-ray.

motoboarder

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2022, 05:02:10 AM »

I think I'm in an OK state now. I've been focusing on PT, surviving pain period, logging my pain meds etc. My pain is currently manageable >2w after femur surgery. I'll add details soon.

motoboarder

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 05:24:29 AM »

I know I'm embarrassingly behind my own diary. I think I left off from my 1st surgery on Jan 18th. So here you go, as much as I remembered + what I had in my notebook. A lot of tiny details happen when you're hospitalized. Here I only cover what I think matter. During my hospital stay, my sister came in every day to bring extra food, help me with chords, and a great emotional support. Things would be much harder without her.

01/18/2022:
  * Tibia surgery early AM, finished around 2-3pm. My poor sister was so worried why it took so long. Eventually she could meet me in my recovery room.
  * Right after tibias surgery, I felt fine. My sister also said my skin color looks normal (Note to compare to later femurs surgery)
  * My feet are wrapped with a "pumping" machine which stimulate blood flow. Also, my tibias are covered with the ice-cube machine to help reduce swollen
  * When being hospitalized, nurses visited you every 4h. I think many other LL patients already covered this. They occasionally give you pain meds, muscle relax meds, etc.
  * ~21:00: After like 30min stimulating my peepee with youtube videos playing sound of waterfall (lol), I could pee a good 1000 ml. Somehow managed not to wet the bed. Feeling much better & lighter after letting go of that toxic fluid.
  * 23:05: started to have roller coaster pain, pain level 4-7
  * 23:55: Shooting pain wave from midnight to 2am. I tried to sleep through it without pressing the "Pain" button to call nurses. Eventually it passed after 2am. Some background here: I used to dislocate my right shoulder due to snowboarding. That day, I waited 45min for rescue team, 15min for them to roll me downhill (in lots of pain), drove myself to the hospital in 45min, waited 3h for doc to come to fix my shoulder. The last hour before I meet the doc, I almost passed out that I couldn't standup by myself for x-ray, so that a male nurse had to hold me. No pain meds whatsoever during this whole period. Anyway, I think this pain experience prepared me a lot for my LL surgery in general.

01/19/2022:
  * 04:40: A nurse came in to draw 2 tubes of my blood
  * 11:50: 2 PTs came in to teach me basic PT, how to use wheelchair

01/20/2022:
  * 14:30: With my sister help, I was able to wheel to the toilet, transfer & make a bowel movement. Feel even much better than after peeing.
  * 15:00: Finished PT. They taught me how to use the walker on this day. It was very jerky as it was my ever 1st time with a walker.

01/21/2022:
  * 08:00: Some constant pain level 2-5 had bothered me since the night before. I asked for 2 pills of Tylenol 325mg. After breakfast & meds, the pain was more comfortable.
  * 10:15: Dr. Robbins & nurses came in to check on me. I might have wiggled my feet too much that right after they left, I had shooting pain level 7-8 in my right tiba. For the 1st time I pressed "Pain" button & asked for 1 oxycodone 5mg. My nurse this day Alex was very nice & thorough. I got a high relaxing feeling after oxy, then the pain was also gone. Alex carefully went through the discharge document w/ me. 1 important point she mentioned was to stop taking Xarelto (prevent blood clot) at least 4 days before my femurs surgery.
  * 15:00: Discharged. Then nothing eventful at home this day if I remembered correctly. Lower legs were still very swollen. They gave me the ice-cube machine for this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 05:51:20 AM by motoboarder »

motoboarder

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »

Hey, I've had similar pain when twisting leg (femur though). In my case it was new bone growth rubbing against soft tissues. Your doctor should be able to assess that on your x-ray.

Then did they do anything about your case i.e. new bone rubbing soft tissues? Do you still have this pain?

GodsGrace

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2022, 03:42:50 PM »

In my case also that new bone growth is there on the side rubbing the soft tissues and it pains a lot as well for me. Dr. Robbins showed me in my X-rays but he said it will get dissolved in few days until then you will feel some discomfort. Definitely that's a lot of discomfort for me and when I press them I feel like 2 big rocks  attached to the side of my legs. Now I feel like that discomfort is slowly fading away. The physician assistant Dayna mentioned me that you can take ibuprofen for a short duration that will stop the new bone growth on the side. But I asked her isn't ibuprofen interfere with bone growth at later stage. She explained me that you are not advised to take ibuprofen only at the time of bone consolidation after the lengthening period is over. Now you are at the very early stage and you can take the ibuprofen to suppress the extra bone growth on the side. I bought the ibuprofen but still I haven't started taking it.

tallerwouldbenice

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2022, 07:02:12 PM »

I took ibuprofen and the pain disappeared in about 1-2 weeks

motoboarder

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2022, 07:10:52 PM »

In my case also that new bone growth is there on the side rubbing the soft tissues and it pains a lot as well for me. Dr. Robbins showed me in my X-rays but he said it will get dissolved in few days until then you will feel some discomfort. Definitely that's a lot of discomfort for me and when I press them I feel like 2 big rocks  attached to the side of my legs. Now I feel like that discomfort is slowly fading away. The physician assistant Dayna mentioned me that you can take ibuprofen for a short duration that will stop the new bone growth on the side. But I asked her isn't ibuprofen interfere with bone growth at later stage. She explained me that you are not advised to take ibuprofen only at the time of bone consolidation after the lengthening period is over. Now you are at the very early stage and you can take the ibuprofen to suppress the extra bone growth on the side. I bought the ibuprofen but still I haven't started taking it.

Not sure if I've experienced the same just lat night (early 02/17/2022): Around 2AM while sleeping my left tibia felt noticeable pain in the exact spot where new bone is growing. I woke up to check and saw a bump. I slowly massaged & pushed it inward so that my skin area became flat as normal. As soon as this was done, the pain disappeared immediately. Well they said our body/bone heal while we sleep. If this was truly the case I think I was "lucky" to observe new grown bone & shaped it back myself! Nonetheless, this is just my guess. I'll wait until next Monday x-ray to see how it looks. The bump felt like a hard clay.

GodsGrace, were you referring to your femur or tibia?

My left & right femurs both showed new bones on the side according to 1st visit x-ray which was 1-2 weeks ago or something. During that time sleeping on either side was definitely uncomfortable. However I didn't notice any pain, maybe because they were dissolved now by this point, idk..

GodsGrace

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2022, 01:59:59 AM »

Not sure if I've experienced the same just lat night (early 02/17/2022): Around 2AM while sleeping my left tibia felt noticeable pain in the exact spot where new bone is growing. I woke up to check and saw a bump. I slowly massaged & pushed it inward so that my skin area became flat as normal. As soon as this was done, the pain disappeared immediately. Well they said our body/bone heal while we sleep. If this was truly the case I think I was "lucky" to observe new grown bone & shaped it back myself! Nonetheless, this is just my guess. I'll wait until next Monday x-ray to see how it looks. The bump felt like a hard clay.

GodsGrace, were you referring to your femur or tibia?

My left & right femurs both showed new bones on the side according to 1st visit x-ray which was 1-2 weeks ago or something. During that time sleeping on either side was definitely uncomfortable. However I didn't notice any pain, maybe because they were dissolved now by this point, idk..

I was absolutely referring to Femurs for the side bone growth.

motoboarder

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2022, 08:48:20 PM »

Hi guys,

Feel strange to come back here after not writing my diary at all (lol). I was truly busy with rest & exercise during my lengthening phase. Before surgery, I collected a lot of useful tips from this forum. Hope I can give back something to help future people who consider this procedure.

Long story shorted, as a quad patient, I stopped lengthening tibias on 4/5 and femurs on 4/24/2022. I lengthened 4cm for tibias, 5.6cm for femurs (5.7 for my right femur cuz it was naturally a bit shorter). Now I'm in consolidation.

I didn't have a full diary. I figured people would come here looking for concise info. So feel free to ask me anything.

Full x-ray taken on 4/22/2022 (few days before stop lengthening altogether) https://imgur.com/jMpFnWZ

And 1st monthly x-ray (they forgot to order my femurs x-ray, so only tibias)
https://imgur.com/Kf1NdFX
https://imgur.com/miy8fVE
https://imgur.com/zk5FJqD

informationispower

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »

Amazing almost 10cm gain! First of all I wish you a good a speedy recovery. Two questions

1) Why did you stop at the amount you did?

2) are you happy about the results as in height gained and proportionally? Is the neurosis gone?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up