Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 foot 7 : I want to be smaller!  (Read 30389 times)

mrtall

6 foot 7 : I want to be smaller!
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm a 27 year old male considering surgery. Hello everybody!

I am not the first to enquire I know, but I am looking to have both femurs and tibias shortened by 5cm each. I want to do both to stay in proportion.

being 6'7 really is making me super depressed; this would bring me down to 6 foot 3; tall but normal tall for my 30's and beyond.

Things I have to put up with on a daily basis:

harrassment from idiots in bars and clubs
social isolation - being a foot higher than the average guy on the street is pretty strange i can tell you
super awkward dating - the biggest single factor of dating is building comfort which is very difficult.
constantly being forced to talk about my height 10 times day
constantly bending over for every doorframe >> my back is getting fked up.
not fitting clothes airline seats.
Look too slim because of height.

Does anybody have the direct contact details of the surgeons so that i might contact them? I'd owe you one!

best

Mx
HEIGHT REDUCTION CANDIDATE

Current: 201 cm (6'7)

Goal: 192 cm (6'3.5)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: 6 foot 7 : I want to be smaller!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:18 PM »

Hi mrtall,

Welcome to the forum. As your situation demonstrates, people on both ends of the height spectrum face a lot of challenges. Sorry that you've had to deal with all that. I think many of the orthopedic surgeons listed in the directory will be able to perform leg shortening. What country would be your ideal place for surgery and what's your budget like?

Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

mrtall

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »

Hi mrtall,

Welcome to the forum. As your situation demonstrates, people on both ends of the height spectrum face a lot of challenges. Sorry that you've had to deal with all that. I think many of the orthopedic surgeons listed in the directory will be able to perform leg shortening. What country would be your ideal place for surgery and what's your budget like?

Thank you for the welcome. It has been a long journey of self reflection to get here.. being so tall is strange compared to being short in that you're told all your life how lucky you are.. but people don't quite realise how tough it is when you get past 6'4...
yet you know you are not lucky deep down (unless you are an athlete of some sort and able to capitalise on it). and this can lead to real depression this dichotomy of social praise and stark reality.

even when I was 6'1 i was always taller than my peers, so I have felt this height since I was 14 even though i wasnt. The insecurity has led me on a wild goose chase but I have recently realised that you can never be happy unless you feel at ease in your own skin... and I feel like a prisoner in an ivory tower at this height and I'm becoming an angry man I don't want to be.

Surgery:  Well UK, DE, US or Switzerland Ideally.. as I want both femurs and tibias, I guess I could afford $30k in total. I understand that the recovery time is half that of lengthening surgery and was hoping that shorter hospitalization might make things alot cheaper?

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:19:54 AM »

Hello mrtall,

As I used to be on the other end of the spectrum, I know exactly how you feel. This might be a cliche tought, but I'd still like to ask - I used to be 5'5 and became 5'8 with surgery, and at my former height I eventually lost all motivation to workout. I felt as if it would be useless anyway. Now, you're taller than most people, and one particular thing you mentioned was looking too thin. Have you considered working out/bodybuilding? When I say bodybuilding most people think about guys with roids, which is a silly thought - what I mean is working out on basis and building a good-looking, athletic physique. It could look great at your height. Why not think about it? By all means do surgery if it's really going to make you feel happier about yourself, but surgery is costly and could be painful. Do you think it's worth it? You say that you're being harassed at bars. Could it be because you're very tall but very skinny also?

mrtall

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:49:25 AM »

Hello mrtall,
t? You say that you're being harassed at bars. Could it be because you're very tall but very skinny also?

interesting point. To be honest, the aesthetics come down at low on the reasons why i want this done. (This might sound terribly vain) but if your are tall and slim, with model level facial aesthetics its not something that keeps me up at night.

I did at one point think that this was my issue.. and spent 5 months with a personal trainer... got into decent shape, 10kg lean gains,
but even with a reasonable physique and good looks, I realised that it was height and height alone that has made me unhappy... the feeling of detachment and completely standing out from those around me all day. As you say.. the motivation vanished after that realisation. Fitting in with the world is my goal.

On the issue of harrassment I actually think the more muscular and huge you get the more trouble you will attract. Also, people normally say fk me dude your tall!! out of nowhere..and after hearing this 10 times a night from drunk guys, I tend to want to go home... some guys I was hanging out with were all kind of shocked at what a hassle I have to go through with all these smart alecs saying their piece. However, they almost NEVER start trouble though :)

thanks,

Wannabegiant

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:17:24 AM »

interesting point. To be honest, the aesthetics come down at low on the reasons why i want this done. (This might sound terribly vain) but if your are tall and slim, with model level facial aesthetics its not something that keeps me up at night.

I did at one point think that this was my issue.. and spent 5 months with a personal trainer... got into decent shape, 10kg lean gains,
but even with a reasonable physique and good looks, I realised that it was height and height alone that has made me unhappy... the feeling of detachment and completely standing out from those around me all day. As you say.. the motivation vanished after that realisation. Fitting in with the world is my goal.

On the issue of harrassment I actually think the more muscular and huge you get the more trouble you will attract. Also, people normally say f**k me dude your tall!! out of nowhere..and after hearing this 10 times a night from drunk guys, I tend to want to go home... some guys I was hanging out with were all kind of shocked at what a hassle I have to go through with all these smart alecs saying their piece. However, they almost NEVER start trouble though :)

thanks,

Hey man i hope if you decide to do this it will make you happy, but are you really sure there isnt any other option for you to make you happy at your current height?

I can understand short people wanting to get taller because they miss out on a lot of stuff in life, but at your height, do you ever feel like you are excluded from things? I realize both very short and very tall people might have trouble fitting in, but i have a hard time imagining you get to face discrimination or disrespect the way short people do, or am i wrong?

IamAndrew

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »

If you lift and workout, there's nothing wrong with your height. You are the exact same height as one of my fav boxers, Deontay Wilder, and he looks awesome.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xj4HrjHInP4/UMg_Z3FMDnI/AAAAAAAAAXw/aPZSipvLMfw/s1600/boxing+178.JPG

Cutting -10 cm on your legs, when tall people usually already have longer wingspans than height, may make you look like a skinny gorilla who is still pretty tall. That would be way worse I think. You want to maintain proportions. Go to your nearest GNC store and invest a few months in bulking up. That would eliminate all the real problems you've listed. The others out of your control, like clothes and door frames (airplane seats isn't an issue unless you're on airplanes a hella lot) = just custom door frames in your home and custom clothes.

And Deontay has plenty of tall ladies (usually the models) that are, literally, out of reach for average-below average dudes when they wear heels.
http://izonmodels.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DSC00523.jpg
I would either move to the Netherlands or bulk up to 220-260 pounds with <15% body fat and rule the world from up there. Truth.

*scheming to turn you into my tool for global conquest* with your size and my Napoleon complex NOTHING WILL STAND IN OUR WAY!!!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:17:32 AM by IamAndrew »
Height MAX: 172 CM
Wingspan: 183 CM
Goal: 178 CM - external tibia

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 03:17:23 AM »

Surgery:  Well UK, DE, US or Switzerland Ideally.. as I want both femurs and tibias, I guess I could afford $30k in total. I understand that the recovery time is half that of lengthening surgery and was hoping that shorter hospitalization might make things alot cheaper?

Anesthesia and operating room fees are where the bulk of the money for surgery goes, not to hospitalization.  So unfortunately, that's an India budget if you want to get two surgeries.  Leg lengtheners have had pretty bad experiences in India overall with Dr. Sarin and Dr. Sringari, but that doesn't mean there are no good doctors in India.

I suggest you keep an eye on Kilokahn's diary.  He's going to be touring India and searching for a qualified orthopedic surgeon who'll do leg surgeries at a price most people can afford.  Here's a link to it:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=634.0

G-Man

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »

If you had the money I'd suggest Dr. Guichet for the femur.  Since his G-Nail is weight bearing u'd be up and about in a few days I suppose as there is no stretching.

Also have you consider living in the Netherland?  Nice tall and slim chix.  I passed by Amsterdam and in 1 day I saw 3 guys that were 6'6" approx. so I don't think that people would bug u there!

theuprising

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 06:07:54 AM »

Hey mrtall I think you should check out Russia as the prices are closer to your budget
with some very good surgeons there as well.
Start with tibs and then see how you feel after that point. If you could get to 6'5 I believe
it would make a big difference.

leonidas

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »

I think bulking up us a good idea.

Look on the brightside no one dares to look down on you. Literally.

I won't presume to know how you feel or what you been through,  I think it's great to
Be your height and get attention then to
Be short and invisible like most of us here. Lots of us here are fighting just to get on the radar.
Think of it this way: you get more respect of than the smaller guy just based on the first impression unless you prove otherwise.

Who knows after you bulked up you have a modelling career etc.. In Asia here there is a model called Godfrey Gao who acted as Magnus the warlock in the movie the mortal instruments: city of bones. He is 6 foot 4.
Claim to fame: looks and height. Especially in asia he towers relatively over all the 1.7m average height, probably same as how you tower over 1.75 m average in Europe. don't know if he ever felt awkward but sure knows he made the best of his advantage,  maybe you can too!

leonidas

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »

I got an interesting question for you though Mrtall:

Most short people claim to be discriminated in a situation where say: equal qualification and ability but lost the job due to apparent lack of presense/ stature: ie you are too short to be the president of the United States as it demands the image of a strong leader.

As you know, society likes stature: we have phrases like: pick on someone your own size or punching above your weight or looking up to someone etc etc.

Have you ever been in a situation like this when it went favourably/disfavourably for you?  Do doors really open easier for taller people in life to a certain extent/height?

mrtall

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:06 PM »

I got an interesting question for you though Mrtall:
Have you ever been in a situation like this when it went favourably/disfavourably for you?  Do doors really open easier for taller people in life to a certain extent/height?

yes to both. In my experience returns are heavily diminishing after 6'1/6'2 in terms of physical presence, general athletic ability. looks, grooming and presence are equally important.

Being tall in general definitely gets you noticed and respected.. feared too at any height above 6'1 i'd say: especially useful in the corporate world, where people will give you an extra chance... I guess you just look commanding.

being >6'4 is really lame for your love life though.

mrtall

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 11:43:17 PM »

Who knows after you bulked up you have a modelling career etc..

99% male fashion models are thin and 6'0-6'3 max. But I guess there is always stuff outside of high fashion.

mrtall

mrtall

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »

Hey mrtall I think you should check out Russia as the prices are closer to your budget
with some very good surgeons there as well.
Start with tibs and then see how you feel after that point. If you could get to 6'5 I believe
it would make a big difference.

Interesting, do you think 6'5 is a key height marker?

mrtall

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 12:12:05 AM »

*scheming to turn you into my tool for global conquest* with your size and my Napoleon complex NOTHING WILL STAND IN OUR WAY!!!

Hey thanks for the post. Yh Deontay has a great physique no doubt there! would take me 3 years of non stop brutal training to get there though...

theuprising

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »

I believe 6'5 although very tall is still in that point of not being seen as too tall.

IamAndrew

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:46 PM »

The younger generation in the Netherlands is srsly like 6'4" average. He'd be considered tall there but not freakish tall - only to the tourists.

Gichelu

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »

Netherlands is full of waaaay too tall people. People should not use Netherland height as ideal height. I always think it is so stupid people going "I'm only 5'11 I'm so short! People in Netherland are 6'5 average!" I think the height of average people over there is a thing they need to address not us. They should work on reducing average height of their people rather than the whole world striving to be like Netherlands.
The world is a diagonal. I am the balancing point.

mrtall

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »

I believe 6'5 although very tall is still in that point of not being seen as too tall.

If I went for surgery I would be aiming for 6'3. I guess you'd agree that's moving into the ideal range.

Bare in mind, I would be broader in the shoulders than the average 6'3 guy, but with a 29 inch waist. My wingspan in around 6'6

Taller

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »

If I went for surgery I would be aiming for 6'3. I guess you'd agree that's moving into the ideal range.

Bare in mind, I would be broader in the shoulders than the average 6'3 guy, but with a 29 inch waist. My wingspan in around 6'6

Those would be awesome proportions for a 6'3 guy. Several studies have shown that longer arms and torsos relative to height are considered more attractive. Since you're already so tall and wouldn't be touching the length of your torso or arms, you'll probably have even "manlier" and more attractive proportions at 6'3. Best of luck with whatever route you choose to pursue.

theuprising

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »

Yes 6'3 is within the ideal range I agree however my point was to see how you feel at 6'5 as it may
be a big enough change where you don't feel the need for a second surgery.

mrtall

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »

Those would be awesome proportions for a 6'3 guy. Several studies have shown that longer arms and torsos relative to height are considered more attractive. Since you're already so tall and wouldn't be touching the length of your torso or arms, you'll probably have even "manlier" and more attractive proportions at 6'3. Best of luck with whatever route you choose to pursue.

Many thanks, I guess you can see why I am tempted (tripling my dating pool helps too :) )

IamAndrew

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 05:20:25 AM »

Hey, dunno if this will make ya feel better, but at least you're not a 12' dude back in the Neolithic time when men were lucky to be 150 cm. You're not speared down for being a giant or Nephilim. I think you should count that as a win!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_of_Castelnau

IamAndrew

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 05:59:32 AM »

But really, 6'7" with a 29" waist??

If you fill out yo frame you'd be solid and respected (maybe even feared), not teased or feel awkward.
I held a measuring tape up to 6'7", after putting myself at 5'10.5" (average white guy) and my thought was "damn, that's tall, but not freakish tall". However, if a guy was skinny and that tall then the height would be more pronounced because it's all that will be noticed and exaggerated. You make people feel intimidated with your height presence but then they see you got no muscle or mass which means there's nothing to be intimidated about = cognitive dissonance which results in their teasing and you feeling awkward around a bunch of stubby, fatties (relative to you) who tease you.

You could probably use 60+ pounds on your bones.

I used this stuff back when I was scrawny (for you I'd recommend a target weight of 225 lbs). Take some this before, after and during workouts. http://www.amazon.com/Performance-AMP-Amplified-Mass-XXX/dp/B00278TZ36/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
One of those tubs helped put 40 pounds on me in 2 months (more or less, this was 4 years ago and hard to recall). I have a fast metabolism too, which might be your issue.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:34:02 AM by IamAndrew »

GeTs

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 08:54:06 AM »

Go for 6'4
google  Marcus Schenkenberg to see what u can do at that height, body wise

mrtall

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »

Go for 6'4
google  Marcus Schenkenberg to see what u can do at that height, body wise

Yh, he has very similar bone structure to me; he looked best when slimmer around 87KG in my opinion.

mrtall

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

But really, 6'7" with a 29" waist??
If you fill out yo frame you'd be solid and respected (maybe even feared), not teased or feel awkward.
I held a measuring tape up to 6'7", after putting myself at 5'10.5" (average white guy) and my thought was "damn, that's tall, but not freakish tall". However, if a guy was skinny and that tall then the height would be more pronounced because it's all that will be noticed and exaggerated. You make people feel intimidated with your height presence but then they see you got no muscle or mass which means there's nothing to be intimidated about = cognitive dissonance which results in their teasing and you feeling awkward around a bunch of stubby, fatties (relative to you) who tease you.

You could probably use 60+ pounds on your bones.

I used this stuff back when I was scrawny (for you I'd recommend a target weight of 225 lbs). Take some this before, after and during workouts. http://www.amazon.com/Performance-AMP-Amplified-Mass-XXX/dp/B00278TZ36/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
One of those tubs helped put 40 pounds on me in 2 months (more or less, this was 4 years ago and hard to recall). I have a fast metabolism too, which might be your issue.

thanks for your message :)

putting on 40 pounds lean in 2 months is absolutely impossible even on the juice. The most post newbie gains Arnold ever put on in the early years is 25 pounds in a year and thats with 10x natural test levels; natural mesomorphic genetics and herculean determination

I have a 5% body fat and super leanness, which although is a hindrance in some respect does look really good with even some minor gains of 17 pounds i put on with the personal trainer in 5 months. But I will checkout the supplement.

I have a guy I knew at school who was tall and wiry like me, i met up with him a few years back and now he is 6'7 240 pounds, 10% bodyfat.. a pretty awesome site I must say; super alpha personality too...  HOWEVER he still gave off those social exclusion vibes around groups of people...  So I think, while if i was 220, wearing tight tops there might be more an inclusion feeling, I think its marginal... and with >8/10 facial aesthetics people are really drawn to you anyway no matter your build in my experince if you are well dressed.. its just once they do its too awkward trying to maintain conversation with any noise, or trying to kiss or build physical intimacy with people.

Don't get me wrong you can be super dominant at 220+ and really use it, however I don't wanna be that guy, its not my style; I'm more refined and fun think "lover" personality, and not a big burly bully jock type think "warrior" personality and have no intention to be.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:40:43 AM by mrtall »

IamAndrew

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »

It's possible to put on 40 lbs in 9- weeks and still look good if you're starting from an underweight position. Don't worry about lean muscle until you get some bulk to first be at your target weight. This guy gained as much weight as Arnold did in a year but did so in 5 weeks. Sure his body fat % went up, unlike Arnold, but it makes his frame look way more solid. http://bonytobeastly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Obe-ectomorph-transformation-bony-to-beastly.jpg

I don't have any before picts, but this was pretty accurate to me before:
http://fitn3ss.hu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sovany.jpg
Here's me after about 5 months of while focusing on bulk in the first 2 months. Now I'm happy and just go for lean while maintaining body weight.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb480/MeerFantom/Untitled22_zpsd9840a30.jpg
Get to 15% body fat and then pump it and the results would be phenomenal compared to starting at 5% (only in the case of starting underweight). I was around 5% when I started then I went up to 16% while converting it back down to 12%. I barely invest any time in lifting now, it's all about dieting and isometrics throughout the day. I only spend about 30 minutes a week of setting aside time to workout (mainly core).

And it's ok to be 220+ and up to 15% for you. That wouldn't be threatening but still solid. http://exerscribe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/men-2.jpg

If there's just no talkin you out of it then I look forward to reading any diary you may make. It kinda blows my mind. You have something I always wanted.
lol like this was one of my recorded fights from a game called Vindictus. My character in this is over 6'7", as is my epic opponent.

But I could never be such a character, or some respectable role model hero, because I was born far below average to where I live. No amount of lifting or personal accomplishments will change that. Your issue is about being noticed too much, which you can actually turn to your benefit (teh point I'm trying to make), but the opposite can be heart-wrenching sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:05:00 AM by IamAndrew »

mediocre

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »

I was just thinking how to reduce height surgically in adults.

It would mean redundant nerves/arteries/veins/lymphatics/muscles/tendons/etc — and if they are cut and reattached, it's like amputation and replantation.

Technically very difficult compared to lengthening. It would also mean multi-disciplinary approach on top of Orthopedics, like Vascular surgery, Microsurgery.

There is a procedure for adolescents that surgically fuses growth plates for those who are tall enough already. It stops height but does not shorten it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphysiodesis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up