Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Height and intelligence??  (Read 3249 times)

TranslatingWithWriting

Height and intelligence??
« on: May 26, 2022, 09:05:33 AM »

I heard height and intelligence are relevant, and I also heard some researches have proven there are some height genes that can determine intelligences or some intelligence genes that can determine intelligences therefore tall guys have more intelligences than short guys.

I googled 'height and intelligence' and I can't see other results than the ones saying they are just relevant, not cause-and-effect.

If this post is offensive I am sorry. I am just asking question, not to put down any short guy deliberately since I am a short guy.

I found the research that may be the one that I am referring to above:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3617178/

But srsly, I don't give any credibility on this kind of IQ tests like the wide range thinggy or else. I don't think any IQ tests that are not done right after birth and 100% detailed(namely can 100% examine the brain functions and have 100% precisions of examining the brain working processes) can speak volumes(even twins can have different life experiences, educations, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 10:14:45 AM by TranslatingWithWriting »

AimHigh

Re: Height and intelligence??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 10:14:50 AM »

I have an honors degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, I top scored in army officer aptitude testing, and scored 127 on  a recent MENSA (official) test (at 55 YO), my pre LL height was 171 cm, I have two brothers around 5 7, they are both very successful businessmen and Engineers - just saying (not bragging, or complaining no point either way)...
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 10:19:18 AM »

I have an honors degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, I top scored in army officer aptitude testing, and recently scored 127 on  a recent MENSA (official) test (at 55 YO), my pre LL height was 171 cm, I have two brothers around 5 7, they are both very successful businessmen and Engineers - just saying (not bragging, or complaining no point either way)...
I know but the instances you are talking about can only refute the standpoint 'Short men are def stupid' which is not considered as reasonable idea in any researches about height and intelligence.

I heard of a research done in Sweden or other European countries having proven that some of height genes can determine intelligences(or some of intelligence genes can determine height).

Also I am really skeptical of the volumes that 'IQ tests' can speak.

What's more idiotic is some tall guys are feeling proud of themselves bc of this kind of researches, I don't know why, I think they are just proven 'slightly above the average IQ', and I don't think short guys can never compensate for that difference even if height and intelligence is cause-and-effect, not to mention IQ is not only determined by height.

I think some tall guys are also feeling insecure about themselves LOL. Tbh I am kinda making fun of them at this point.

AimHigh

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »

IMHO IQ is only part of the puzzle of success, work ethic is another huge factor...
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 01:16:17 PM »

IMHO IQ is only part of the puzzle of success, work ethic is another huge factor...
I don't place many emphasises on IQ cuz I know IQ is genetic since it is the presentation of human brain functions and genes form brains but how to evaluate IQ? I think before really serious IQ tests come out all of genetic researchs about IQ are problematic and it's better not to give credibility on them. We don't even work out any test that is 100% detailed and precise.

ilovescience

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 02:30:59 PM »

I don't think height has to do with intelligence. They are different things.

A lot of successful business men are not tall.

Son the Chair of SoftBank, an example.

Sambollio

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:59:38 PM »

I’ve seen at least a couple studies that show correlation. My best guess would be this is mainly due to an overlap of good nutrition affecting both. Getting good nutrition is going to make you more intelligent and it will also help you grow taller.

ilovescience

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 07:17:57 PM »

I’ve seen at least a couple studies that show correlation. My best guess would be this is mainly due to an overlap of good nutrition affecting both. Getting good nutrition is going to make you more intelligent and it will also help you grow taller.

But some people getting good nutrition didn't end up getting taller, some of them were shorter than their fathers.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 07:42:19 PM »

But some people getting good nutrition didn't end up getting taller, some of them were shorter than their fathers.
Yeah also it is not true that the more nutritions you have the taller you will end up, namely good nutritions do not equal being tall.
I saw the research just on this LL forum I can remember which stated that some height genes that can determine intelligence(or the opposite) but I can't find the original post.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 07:46:01 PM »

Yeah all of researches are all about 'correlation' not 'causation'. So I don't know if the OP misinterpretted that research or else, I can't find any researches that proved the casuation.

ilovescience

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 07:54:43 PM »

Yeah also it is not true that the more nutritions you have the taller you will end up, namely good nutritions do not equal being tall.
I saw the research just on this LL forum I can remember which stated that some height genes that can determine intelligence(or the opposite) but I can't find the original post.

Genes affect how tall one can become. Lifestyle is also a reason. I will use an example. In people with Chinese background before, parents wanted their kids to study hard, very hard, and go to good schools. There was a boy named Lee,  he was from wealthy family. His mother had high expectation on him, so his mother forced him to stay home and study all the time, not much free time during which he could do the things he wanted to do, such as reading manga. If he didn't study hard and pass the exams, his mother would beat him with a stick, so he usually studied very hard from the age of 6 until he graduated from high school. He had growth spurt around age of 12-14, but he couldn't sleep because he had lots of homeworks and lots of books to read, he had to do it so his mother would let him sleep. And he often slept after 2AM, especially there were big exams coming up. Lee had the potential being a 180cm tall, but his final height was 155cm.

A lot of reasons could affect height.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 03:20:15 AM »

Height has nothing to do with intelligence. I know that there are not too many short people in the media. But Martin Luther King Jr wasnt a tall guy. I think he was 5'6 at the most. And the guy had like a PHD in his early twenty. Look at people like Kevin Hart, Ariana Grande, Peter dinklage, Lady Gaga all are below average height for men and women.  Tom Cruise another short guy. Im a short woman and I have always been very intelligent. My family is relatively short and all smart people. Whoever makes any studies that short height has to do with intelligence is a liar. Because there are many examples to showcase the brilliance and talent of short people.

Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

wants2growtaller

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 03:21:28 AM »

Height has everything to do with LOOKISM. Whehter or not someone is physically attractive. Its a shallow aspect of society. And society IS very shallow. Society treats people by physical appearance.
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 12:08:48 AM »

Height has everything to do with LOOKISM. Whehter or not someone is physically attractive. Its a shallow aspect of society. And society IS very shallow. Society treats people by physical appearance.
I heard researches have found 140 genes of 800 height genes can also influence intelligence?
but the problem is, let's name the genes that can influence intelligence as X, and it does not indicate that the taller you are, the more X genes you have

wants2growtaller

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 08:44:28 AM »

This reminds me of scientific racism.  A bunch of really Racist supremacists tried to use pseudo science to justify the subjugation of other races. But it failed. 

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 12:47:06 AM »

This reminds me of scientific racism.  A bunch of really Racist supremacists tried to use pseudo science to justify the subjugation of other races. But it failed.
You mean science community also contains 'discriminatory scientists'? I also heard some discriminatory scientists will stack the deck to make their researches convincing in regard of black people/women are inferior in intelligence, mortality, etc. But I have yet to look into it very much.

But if so then I think I am so naive to give all of my credibilities onto any scientific research. I was all the time thinking scientists were very really that 'scientific'.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 12:54:14 AM »

I don't think height has to do with intelligence. They are different things.

A lot of successful business men are not tall.

Son the Chair of SoftBank, an example.
Yeah, statements like 'short people are more stupid than tall people' are definitely 'stupid'. Not to mention they don't know about statistics and genetics, we can also cite the opposite cases in reality to refute this kind of bs.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2022, 04:46:56 AM »

Yeah, statements like 'short people are more stupid than tall people' are definitely 'stupid'. Not to mention they don't know about statistics and genetics, we can also cite the opposite cases in reality to refute this kind of bs.

Heightism is an appearance problem. Unfortunately imo our world is very shallow.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2022, 06:15:07 AM »

Heightism is an appearance problem. Unfortunately imo our world is very shallow.
Yeah, I gotta say although i don't know much about biology or whatnot, there were also studies stating how being taller by random inches affects health but instead they were all the time ignored(I don't feel happy over how much being taller by inches increase risks of diseases either because lifespan is a multifactored just like IQ).

wants2growtaller

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »

Yeah, I gotta say although i don't know much about biology or whatnot, there were also studies stating how being taller by random inches affects health but instead they were all the time ignored(I don't feel happy over how much being taller by inches increase risks of diseases either because lifespan is a multifactored just like IQ).

In my opinion height has everything to do with a persons appearance. But not who they are as a person. Hieght has nothing to do with intelligence , character, talent or health.

the problem is that our world cares MORE about a persons physical appearance more than anything. Because it satisfies our own selfish lust desires.

And people want the whole package. Looks and personality. But more looks tbh.

Thehighest

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 07:41:02 PM »

I have an honors degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, I top scored in army officer aptitude testing, and scored 127 on  a recent MENSA (official) test (at 55 YO), my pre LL height was 171 cm, I have two brothers around 5 7, they are both very successful businessmen and Engineers - just saying (not bragging, or complaining no point either way)...

Which was your score at Mensa Dk computarized test? I got 119

ilovescience

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 12:06:01 AM »

My friends told me that societies should try to make morr documentaries to the shortest actors with most successful careers, or shortest businessmen with big companies. This might change the view of societies.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 12:07:58 AM »

Which was your score at Mensa Dk computarized test? I got 119
You should also check the 'g factor correlation' and 'how much environmental factors are influencing on the test' of the IQ tests you did.

I know IQ is genetic but also environmental factored(aka 'non-genetic factored'), otherwise the score is not that meaningful.

I can only do IQ tests online because I don't want to pay for them. And I got high scores on all of 'official' and 'non-official' tests and I don't know if those scores can contribute to counting my general intelligence, but it seems my IQ is at least not low in light of official test score eitherway. I don't think the claim 'short people are stupid' is not 'stupid'.

I suggest to take a look at 'Height and Intelligence' wikipedia. This time wiki is doing magnificant jobs in this regard. All in all height and intelligence are correlated but so slightly that you can't make any assumptions thereof.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2022, 12:09:44 AM »

My friends told me that societies should try to make morr documentaries to the shortest actors with most successful careers, or shortest businessmen with big companies. This might change the view of societies.
No one said short men coudn't be successful, but they just don't have sexual appeals and that's all. Height is just a contribution to sexual appeal and everything is not that complex.

ilovescience

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 12:24:58 AM »

No one said short men coudn't be successful, but they just don't have sxxual appeals and that's all. Height is just a contribution to sxxual appeal and everything is not that complex.

I understand what you mean. But there are so many things to do in life. I read that shorter men sometimes don't get fair customer service like average height men do when shopping or dining. That is not good. Everyone is the same.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2022, 12:30:16 AM »

I understand what you mean. But there are so many things to do in life. I read that shorter men sometimes don't get fair customer service like average height men do when shopping or dining. That is not good. Everyone is the same.
Well only thing I can say is the problem is the service quality not height, and I don't feel any unfair treatments because of my height in this regard.

ilovescience

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2022, 12:37:32 AM »

Well only thing I can say is the problem is the service quality not height, and I don't feel any unfair treatments because of my height in this regard.

How tall are you? Are you living in America?

zaozari

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 08:39:50 AM »

I heard height and intelligence are relevant, and I also heard some researches have proven there are some height genes that can determine intelligences or some intelligence genes that can determine intelligences therefore tall guys have more intelligences than short guys.

I googled 'height and intelligence' and I can't see other results than the ones saying they are just relevant, not cause-and-effect.

If this post is offensive I am sorry. I am just asking question, not to put down any short guy deliberately since I am a short guy.

I found the research that may be the one that I am referring to above:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3617178/

But srsly, I don't give any credibility on this kind of IQ tests like the wide range thinggy or else. I don't think any IQ tests that are not done right after birth and 100% detailed(namely can 100% examine the brain functions and have 100% precisions of examining the brain working processes) can speak volumes(even twins can have different life experiences, educations, etc.)

It's plain, 1000 times proven, bullshi*. Don't get another problem to add to any possible height neurosis.
Nevertheless, height neurosis and its ramifications such as depression, yes, can harm cognitive function. And in turn, sadly, some antidepressants and most tranquilizers harm memory capacity. It's another reason in my opinion for a LL candidate to find good continuous support from a good psychologist, or counselling, or coaching, as obligatory part of the whole process, from the beginning, planning phase, until post recovery or until he/she feels necessary or positive.

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 09:59:34 AM »

How tall are you? Are you living in America?
No I live in Wrocław

TranslatingWithWriting

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 10:02:51 AM »

It's plain, 1000 times proven, bullshi*. Don't get another problem to add to any possible height neurosis.
Nevertheless, height neurosis and its ramifications such as depression, yes, can harm cognitive function. And in turn, sadly, some antidepressants and most tranquilizers harm memory capacity. It's another reason in my opinion for a LL candidate to find good continuous support from a good psychologist, or counselling, or coaching, as obligatory part of the whole process, from the beginning, planning phase, until post recovery or until he/she feels necessary or positive.
I did some researches about it recently and I think Wikipedia 'Height and Intelligence' gave the best answer to this question.

And yeah, as the recapulation of the wiki, the statements like 'short ppl are more stupid' is totally bs, not to mention we can find the opposite instances irl like Japanese, which is composed of a lot of intelligent people, including the son of Soft Bank.

Speaking of Japaneses, I read some materials written in the last century, and it seems to me during WWI and WWII, Japaneses were feeling inferior about their race to White and a writer back then described Japanese as 'more stupid, incapable, shorter than White..'(in regard of height it was true).

wants2growtaller

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »

They did the exact same thing but used race instead. Some racist scientist wanted to prove that black race was inferior intellectually, and they tried to study a few brains of all the races to see who was superior or inferior. Anyways it was debunked. Race and intelligence has no link. In my experience some people just want to justify the mistreatment of others and want to use a book to do it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up