Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: G-Nail on femurs in Greece on Aug24th. Let's do this!!!  (Read 22092 times)

Infinite

Re: G-Nail on femurs in Greece on Aug24th. Let's do this!!!
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2022, 08:11:42 PM »

Hahah yeah right! ;D

I'm fairly calm still. Really trying to focus my mind on work and other things.

Today I'll go for the pre-op visit. I'm sure after that it'll be game on and we'll see how I feel then.

But again, so far it's not much about the surgery itself but really the doubts I have about what's coming next

Is the clicking gonna hurt? What does the anaesthesia feel like? How painful will i be at wake up? Will I be able to walk to the wc and back? Will I be able to go down to the kitchen with crutches? How am I gonna sleep? Will I need to hire a nurse?

The fear of all that's unknown I guess. I'll try and keep myself to the present moment at each stage and cope with one thing at a time.

Ah and I marked the wall with a pencil with the various targets im after 168cm, 170, 172. That hopefully will keep my eye and spirit focused on the prize.

Hi OzBoy,

We are all watching over you here behind you to make sure to keep safe!

OzBoy39

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2022, 02:26:56 AM »

Thank you Infinite.
Drinks are on me when this is all over.

Today is D day. I'll provide a detailed update when I'm on the other side and officially become a cyborg.

Going for femur bilateral G-Nail with Dr. Giotikas.
Starting height 164cm. Goal 172 to 174cm

thankscience

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2022, 02:52:23 AM »

Good luck!!

Hahah yeah right! ;D

I'm fairly calm still. Really trying to focus my mind on work and other things.

Today I'll go for the pre-op visit. I'm sure after that it'll be game on and we'll see how I feel then.

But again, so far it's not much about the surgery itself but really the doubts I have about what's coming next

Is the clicking gonna hurt? What does the anaesthesia feel like? How painful will i be at wake up? Will I be able to walk to the wc and back? Will I be able to go down to the kitchen with crutches? How am I gonna sleep? Will I need to hire a nurse?

The fear of all that's unknown I guess. I'll try and keep myself to the present moment at each stage and cope with one thing at a time.

Ah and I marked the wall with a pencil with the various targets im after 168cm, 170, 172. That hopefully will keep my eye and spirit focused on the prize.

I like the technique of marking the wall. That gives you something clear you can visualise and work towards.

OzBoy39

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2022, 11:22:32 PM »

And we made it. Nails are in, I'm in bed Nd just woke up. 216am

This won't be a detailed update, but first feelings, thoughts are

No pain so far.
Very stiff legs. I can bend them back but it takes a good minute to slowly flex.

No nausea, no vomiting or anything like that. I feel really good actually.

We did a couple of clicks a few hours back when I woke up from anaesthesia and it was ok. No pain, just the awful sound.

This place is really good. The room I'm in is  definitely better than the hotel .

I stood up before together with the nurse and it was ok although not sure il be able to take steps yet. We'll try that today.

I'll provide more details later hopefully if I can manage to use my laptop.

Thank you everyone so far for the support

thankscience

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2022, 12:34:21 AM »

I'm glad to hear it went well and you haven't got much pain!

Sounds like they might've made some improvements to the place compared to some previous diaries I've read.

Do you know how much Dr G. lengthened your leg during surgery? I wasn't aware they get you to do clicks on day 1. I thought they usually wait a week before starting clicks.

Did you get a catheter by any chance? I read they give you the option prior to surgery for that too.

OzBoy39

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2022, 03:46:58 AM »

Hi thankscience

Yes, as far as comfort goes, I'm on level4 which is the newer section of the hospital and it's really nice up here.

I haven't asked about how much he lengthened. I was a bit fuzzy yesterday and didn't make many questions at all. I just wanted to sleep.

Yes I got a catheter down there. They will remove it today thanks goodness. Not painful but weird. It almost feels like you're peeing on yourself and everything I adjust myself OJ the bed I can feel it moving .

The clicks do start after 1 week but they wanted to show me how it worked and also see if I had any pain doing it. In all honesty though, yesterday I was on whatever painkiller they had on my IV line, so not sure if this pain free click will stay that way.

I stopped taking iv painkillers at around 230am last night and i dont have any pain so far. I just feel compression on my legs which are super stiff and swollen.

OzBoy39

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2022, 06:10:28 AM »

I guess it's time for an update

Day 2 post op

-The GOODS
 The entire team of doctor Giotikas (starting with himself) have been fantastic. Since the day before the ops to now and ongoing I have full assistance and support on anything I need.
They've provided me with every inch of support I was needing (especially pre surgery I was getting a bit anxious). I'm super happy with them.

The hospital residence absolutely above anything I could imagine. Food, nurses, the room (which is better than my hotel).

The care I'm receiving in terms of checkups, instructions IV medication and anything else definitely 5 star rated.

- The BAD
My legs, I mean I was not expecting moving to be this hard. Yes it is only day 2 post op, but although I am mobile through either walker or wheelchair, getting in and out of bed is a super struggle, if I don't move for like 10 minutes I basically get stuck and it takes a further minute to be able to slooowly bend your leg again (with also a decent amount of pain). Said that though, of I don't move (when I'm in bed watching something, I don't feel a thing).

This morning I managed to also sit on the toilette bowl and it hurts whilst sitting. I had to hold part of my weight with my hands. I just had to wee but wanted to try to see how number 2 would feel... well it doesn't feel good. I'm curious to see what ll happen when my bowel starts moving again.

Then moving on, the stiffness of my legs as soon as I don't use them for 5 minutes. It's incredible. It takes that little time to make them super stiff. And then you need a couple of leg raises and knee bends to release them a little bit. But they are always always stiff. A comparison for me is like imagine if you were to do your hardest leg day at the gym coming from a period of stop. The day after youd be very stiff. Now multiply by 3.

The size of my leg is such that the shorts I had brought with me and also a pair of joggers I have, no longer fit ;D

-The REST
The G-Nail feels super solid. And once again the ability to move around (as goofy as I am now) and be able to go to the bathroom, wash yourself, go pickup a laptop or whatever far outweighs the complexity behind the clicking. This is still my opinion and we'll see if that changes in the next few weeks.

Clicking so far has been ok. I only did 4 in total and today we'll do a few more just for me to get use to, bit I believe with the proper technique and warm-up/ stretching prior to that, it should hopefully be uneventful. They'll send a cycling bike to my hotel room so that'll help with the process.

That's it for now. I gotta stay strong. Mindset is the key because this, as man of you have said already, ain't no simple surgery. It'll test your willpower as it's doing with mine.

Last, if you're planning on doing this, please...please work on your upper body strength. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't lift my body up with my arms... it would be impossible.

If you do that then i believe that this journey can be done solo

Catch you next time people

thankscience

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2022, 01:24:33 AM »

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you're getting all the support you need! You've got this  8)

Did the Dr say how long you might be on the walker until you can move to crutches? Also how long will you be staying at the hospital before moving back to the hotel?

OzBoy39

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2022, 04:36:12 AM »

Hey Thankscience,
Thanks!

Yes, I'll be on the walker for the first 3 weeks, then move to crutches. And also I'll be hopping around rather than walking as per instructions. This is because they don't really want you to do something stupid and hurt yourself or worst bend the nail (I totally understand it as my ability to potentially recover from a wrong step is practically zero). Hopping around is not too hard if you got good upper body strength.

Today I'll actually try the crutches with the physio and then around mid morning I'll be discharged and back to the hotel.

One of Dr Giotikas nurses will come with me to the hotel to help transfering  all the things they have provided me (walker  wheelchair, showers stool, crutches, meds).

Next week then we'll start the physio and lengthening journey.
A nurse will come in the first few days I guess to help with the clicking, but the goal is to become independent.  I'll try and master it soon if I can.

On a side note, physical condition is improving rapidly. Last night I managed to sleep from 9pm to now 7am (woke up a couple of times but overall an awesome sleep). This just because i rolled on my tummy and on my side too (I really can't sleep on my back).

So for the ones who are concerned about this aspect of the process, although rolling is very tricky, it can be done. I got one accidental click doing so (the small one) and that's it.

Last point for the day, I haven't been able to go to the wc for number 2 yet. They say it's normal but I would really like to release a few extra kg off my body (it'll also help with nail strength I guess ;D)

Have a great day everyone

thankscience

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2022, 06:15:47 AM »

I'm surprised you're able to sleep on your side and stomach over your back. I would've thought it would be easier to do the opposite.

Altogether you stayed at the hospital for 3 days then? Also what types of exercises are they getting you to do at physio now?

OzBoy39

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2022, 06:29:24 AM »

Yeah I get it but I really never been able to sleep much on my back. You're right it would definitely be easier that way.

I haven't started the PT officially (will start next Tuesday) but I'm doing stretches for quads and hamstrings (laying in bed and pretty much puling the knee to my chest, pulling my ankle towards my butt, straightening the leg all the way down and last leg raises). I do them let's say every hour or so. 5 to 10 minuts or until i feel somewhat loose.

After sleeping especially on my tummy my legs become like 2 stiff logs and it takes a fair amount of effort to do the first raise and knee bend. This thing ain't a walk in the park for sure.

thankscience

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2022, 10:22:11 AM »

How are you finding manoeuvring around with the walker?

OzBoy39

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »

Hi Thankscience,
Moving around with the walker is ok. It is obviously slow but I don't think I would be able to safely move around (around my room... around the hotel, outside the hotel) with crutches.

So I'm happy with that for the time being.

OzBoy39

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »

Day 6 post op - Clicking and PT

Guys, I've done my first 8 clicks per leg today.
I'm super happy and relieved because that's been at the front of my mind for the last few days. I was almost as anxious as before the surgery.

Now, how was it?

It's been super difficult inmust admit (I only managed to click with the help of the nurse who came here this morning who will come again tonight and the next few days until I can do it alone).

Specifically, a bit of context. I've been walking and moving around plus cycling quite a lot these last few days. More than I was advised by the Doctor.

I think I probably overdid it and last night and this morning I had quite a bit of pain and soreness in my legs. Specifically in my knees and in my inner thigh (abductors I think). Sharp stabbing pain everything I try to move. Also to be complete, I hadn't taken the strong painkiller provided me (Tramal I believe it's called). So:

Left leg super painful
Right leg manageable.

We started with the right leg which is notoriously the hardest. We tried 2 positions and I felt better with the one where we square the leg at 90 degrees and twist the lower leg outside for the big click. (The video from Betz institute basically where the guy lays flat on the bed, raise is right leg perpendicular to the table, then extend the lower leg at about 100 degrees and twist it outwards).

First few trys I couldn't click and i sort of panicked in my mind. I was twisting the leg and kept pushing it albeit slowly until I started feeling a deep stretching pain from the quad belly that forced me to stop. Tried a few times a slow as I could but as I kept "pushing through" the pain spiked up to unbearable levels.
But then we changed approach and tried to relax the muscle in position similar to when you do deep stretching and want to push yourself... basically twisting to the point of mild to medium pain and hold the leg there until the pain subside. Then push a little more...and then bit more until all of sudden... Clonk. Done. Then the resetting click comes almost automatically.

Once the first click was done, the others were really easy and painless. We did the other 7 in like 4 minutes. And absolutely no pain whatsoever when the device clicks.

Then we moved to the left leg. This was super difficult even though in theory (and as I also practiced myself in hospital) it should be very easy. My mindset was totally different than when we started the first one. I knew we were gonna manage how to make it click. It would just be a matter of patience.

Said that though, my left leg was already in pain (knee and thigh) just by laying on the bed, so, using the same technique, slowly...really slowly twisting more, holding and repeating this, after a good 20, 25 minutes (yeah it took that long and really lots of focus to push and hold through the pain) we got the dreaded click. the reset one was again almost automatic. After that, the other clicks were easy (not as the right leg but...easy)

Total time of this first session was a bit more than an hour. (0.5mm taller... feel like a giant already).

Notable things that I've understood from this session are:

- you gotta be regimented with this process. Cycle for 10 minutes, stretch,relax, take your time and stay calm.

-Don't overstress your leg with excercise. Dont be the hero. Follow what the doctor and nurse tell you to do. If they tell you to rest the whole day... just rest the whole day.

- I believe (not sure obviously but that's what I feel now) that the key for me to be able to click was to "hold" the leg for some seconds (10-15) at the point of discomfort during the twisting to let the muscle, the tendons, the thigh and everything else stretch and relax in that position and only then push a little further and repeat until the click. Not just keep pushing through the pain all at once. I will try this tonight again and see how it goes.

- I couldn't have done this by myself (i would like to know if anyone has ever done the first few clicks unaided...I'dbe very impressed). The help from the nurse provided by Dr G. (they will come until I feel independent with the clicking) was fantastic. She was really super patient and experienced in doing this and I found that to be the key to manage this.

-The clicking itself is absolutely painless. I mean, the moment the rod clicks, you don't really feel a thing. It's not your leg snapping. All the discomfort I had was ... leading to the point of click.  Twisting towards that point pulling the already sore muscles and inner thigh. Again... for me, going super super slow and holding the leg in position as soon as I start feeling the pain  ramping up was the key to get to the clicking point. Not sure if others have had the same experience or can relate. Let me know in case.

- I wanna be confident that tonight's clicks would be easier and although the nurse will come again to assist, I do want to try and do one or two entirely by myself  (I can easily manage the reset click on both legs but that happens almost automatically).

Then we'll deal with the inflammation period when we get to it.

PT
I loved it. The guys and gals at this place are very good, easy to talk to  and again patient.
We did a session of stretches for hammies, quads, abductors, and hip flexors. Basically they pull you in position until your limit. I loved it. I never really felt a huge amount of pain or something bad in general. Just good stretching pain. The guy performing the stretching on me was really delicate. Strong, but he knows when to stop. Everytime we finished one excercise he was careful to bring my leg very slowly back to the table. He knows the sharp pains we feel at this stage of the process.
Last we used the compression machine and ice machine as a final treat. What a feeling.better then getting a massage. I didn't wanna leave.

I also met other patients there so I really had a good time. I'm looking forward to that again.

That's it for the moment. Fingers crossed the clicks will get easier 🙏  from here on. I really hope so.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 04:28:41 PM by OzBoy39 »

OzBoy39

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2022, 06:21:04 PM »

Second set of clicks done for the day.
15 in total.

The evening clicks were definitely easier and it took us overall 25 minutes to finish. Could have done faster but we were chatting a lot.

Fingers crossed it gets better from here!

Fingers crossed it gets better.

leonazul99

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »

Can you ask the doctor question for me?  In his opinion, is 3 months ago between femurs and tibia surgery?

Charizard

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2022, 07:45:22 PM »

Congratz on your journey ;D. How do you feel so far? How is pain? Walking? Clicking?
Current Height:5ft9''
Target Height:6ftAge:32
Stretching my legs everyday
I’m exposing scammer limb lengthening clinics in my Twitter account.
https://x.com/charizard780

OzBoy39

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2022, 11:39:12 PM »

Can you ask the doctor question for me?  In his opinion, is 3 months ago between femurs and tibia surgery?

??? I didn't get what you mean.

OzBoy39

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2022, 11:44:37 PM »

Congratz on your journey ;D. How do you feel so far? How is pain? Walking? Clicking?

Well I guess if you read the posts above you can get an idea of how I feel  ;)

Overall things are progressing well.

thankscience

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2022, 04:10:57 AM »

I'm glad the clicks seem to be getting slightly easier!

Does the nurse visit your hotel twice a day? That seems like a lot of travel for them, but a great deal if that's included in the package!

How many days a week will you attend PT?

OzBoy39

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2022, 04:59:29 AM »

I'm glad too although I'm still pretty anxious before a clicking session. Grant you is only the second day.

Yes the nurse came twice yesterday.. and today and I believe for a while. It's a great service and I appreciated that highly. I would procrastinate if they didn't come.

The idea though is that on average people should be able to get the clicks by themselves in about a week or 2 and at that pint they'll stop coming everyday (or at all) and move on to repeat this type of assistance with other newer patients.

From what we spoke yesterday it really varies from person to person. As we read here, some people seem to have absolutely no problems clicking whilst some others  find it harder.

At the moment I feel confident that I can go through a session, but not by myself yet. Hopefully that'll change.

Also, this morning (after the first 15 clicks yesterday) I woke up with proper "tightness" on the quads and glutes. Not pain like in the previous days, but tightness. I like this as it is a more bearable discomfort than the sharp pain I used to feel.

Again, fingers 🤞

OzBoy39

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2022, 06:20:00 PM »

Quick update at the end of day 7 post op and second day of clicking.

Big achievement. I managed the evening clicks all by myself.
Nurse was with me in the hotel room, but I managed to click both legs by myself in about 5 minutes each. I know that this might change going forward but for the moment I wanna take it one day at a time, so...

I'm celebrating with a couple of beers tonight.

From Friday the "inflammation" week will begin where the regime of clicks will go up to 21 per day and when I'll be taking voltaren to fight it off. Hopefully it'll all go smoothly.

thankscience

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2022, 06:35:32 AM »

Well done on getting the clicks alone! Have you been able to maintain that since Day 2?

I'm surprised you're having drinks already  :P

OzBoy39

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2022, 09:04:20 AM »

::)Yes, i managed to do them all.

I had a bit of an episode on day 3 at night where after the clicks I got a very swollen quad which was quite painful but with a bit of ice it sort of resolved itself. Although it is still a bit tight.

I am now on clicking day 5 and 10 days after op. I'm officially into the inflammation period so since yesterday I started taking voltaren and upped the number of clicks to 21 per day (11 in the morning and 10 at night).

Today is the very first day where I asked the nurse not to come for the clicks because I felt I could do them.

I did manage to do them this morning and I hope it'll be the same this evening. I'll see if I can manage to take a video of l how I do it. I use 2 different techniques for the pest and the right leg.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted if anything notable happens.
And last  the session at PT are so useful. Yesterday I went there with my right leg tight and I got out feeling really good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:34:04 AM by OzBoy39 »

Infinite

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2022, 06:52:20 PM »

::)Yes, i managed to do them all.

I had a bit of an episode on day 3 at night where after the clicks I got a very swollen quad which was quite painful but with a bit of ice it sort of resolved itself. Although it is still a bit tight.

I am now on clicking day 5 and 10 days after op. I'm officially into the inflammation period so since yesterday I started taking voltaren and upped the number of clicks to 21 per day (11 in the morning and 10 at night).

Today is the very first day where I asked the nurse not to come for the clicks because I felt I could do them.

I did manage to do them this morning and I hope it'll be the same this evening. I'll see if I can manage to take a video of l how I do it. I use 2 different techniques for the pest and the right leg.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted if anything notable happens.
And last  the session at PT are so useful. Yesterday I went there with my right leg tight and I got out feeling really good.

Hi OzBoy,
I hope you're doing well!

As far as I understand, the G-Nail is a weight-bearing nail, so why do you need a walker? Where is the weight bearing here?
What is the difference between this method and Precice 2.2 for the process and the recovery?
Are you able to walk without any assistance?
Can you tell me how you feel if you try walking without assistance?

What is your method for conveying the day-to-day?

Are you satisfied with your choice of G-Nail?
Would you choose the G-Nail or Precice 2.2 if I could take you back in time?

Please excuse the number of questions; I'm really interested!

My sincere thanks go out to you for your assistance.

OzBoy39

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2022, 03:45:41 AM »

Hi Infinite,
No problems at all. You asked lots of good questions that also I didn't understand before taking the surgery.

I think there's a number of videos online about gnail and stryde that try to portray the picture of patients "walking" unaided from day 0.

That is not the way it is. Or at least it wasn't for me.

Specifically, the G-nail is definitely weight bearing. I have the 11mm one (the small one) implanted and that can withstand up to 75 Kg per leg when fully extended (at it's weakest). I am 62Kgs bodyweight so... Yeah it is fully weight bearing.

What is NOT fully weight bearing (not even partially or even just a little bit) are my leg muscles after the surgery.

What I didn't realise before the surgery is that your legs are pretty much immobile (or very close to) after you wake up from Anesthesia.

And from what I have heard from other patients and from the nurses (I'm still at 11 days post surgery), it takes around 3 weeks for enough strength and flex to come back to your legs and allow them to "step" properly and somewhat safely. (And for the swelling to go down).

So, the only thing I was able to do at day 0 or day 1 after surgery was to hold my legs straight.

(Even today at day 11 post op, even though now I can help stand up by pushing a little bit of weight through my legs, there is no way I would be able to hold my body weight if I flex the knee by more than 15 or 20degrees... Meaning from fully extended, if I bend them little bit, I would collapse right away).

With a device like the Walker, you can "hop" with both legs straight and move around like that. Easily? Well, it depends on your upper body strength. I find it easy, but slow. Other patient (especially females who don't hold much strength with their arms, find it harder).

I do not understand even now how people (if any), manage to use crutches from day 1. I wouldn't be able to. Not because the G-nail, but because crutches require you to do steps, do a little knee bending, and have balance. I had NONE of those during the first days.

Was that a problem? Not really for me because I even had less general energy after surgery so once I did 5 or 6 trips to the toilette, get out of the room to say hello to other people  and a few back and forth within the room, i was pretty much exhausted.

Said that though, I was independent and mobile from day 1. Yes with the Walker (and wheelchair for longer distances) but I was.

Precise patients do not get to this level of mobility until their consolidation period.

Then, from what I understood from the doctor and nurses, at week 3 post op, I should have regained enough strength and control of my legs that we can safely re introduce steps and therefore walking with crutches.

I honestly feel I could do it even now, and in fact I do take little steps to maneuver around the room and also tried the crutches myself, but I'll be patient.

I can also tell you that, in the last few days l, I've gone to PT by myself (no nurse or assistance at all). So, with the Walker I went downstairs, hopped in and out of a taxi, reached the PT place and walked in myself.

Once in there, I could independently move in and out of the various stations without any assistance at all, whilst my friends with precice they all need to be either lifted into place or they can just stand still and stationary until someone bring them a wheelchair.

For them (especially for the bigger dudes) this will be the case for the next 3 or 4 months. Let that sink in. Wheelchair bound for that much time with the risk of bending the nail at each "missteps" you take.. I wouldn't be able to do that. Kudos to the ones that go through it, but also think about the consequences to your muscles and time to recovery.

Again, in this regard, yesterday afternoon I grabbed the Walker and went to the gym, did  a good one hour between cycling and weights and felt really good. All by myself, indipendent. I chatted with people and felt good overall. And it'll hopefully go downhill from here.

And so, with the G-nail, in another 10 days or so, I should reach the next milestone which is making steps and using crutches and at that point life goes almost back to normal .... will start visiting Athens, will plan trips to the Greek islands and more.

So, is G-nail all good and great?NO, hell no. I hate the clicking. The thought of having to do this twice a day makes me cringe. Why?
Because the process and the movement required is awful.

In details, it doesn't hurt. The clicks don't hurt (unless you consolidate prematurely), but the process of having to warm up on the bike, stretch, find your position each leg, find the "first" click and repeat twice a day for months is tiring.

What makes it so (especially now) is that I am also sore on top of that... My legs are sore. Every day I do something more than usual, a little more exercise or movement in general, I get sore and twisting your leg while sore isn't the most pleasurable sensation. Not painful again, but definitely annoying.

In conclusion, me personally Im happy with the G-nail so far and would never go precice and be wheelchair bound for months. Hopefully some company brings back some sort of Stryde derivative in the future so to remove the clicking aspect from the nail and that would be bingo.

Feel free to DM me of you want. We might do a video call or something along those lines to show you how it is.

Infinite

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2022, 09:20:09 PM »

Hi Infinite,
No problems at all. You asked lots of good questions that also I didn't understand before taking the surgery.

I think there's a number of videos online about gnail and stryde that try to portray the picture of patients "walking" unaided from day 0.

That is not the way it is. Or at least it wasn't for me.

Specifically, the G-nail is definitely weight bearing. I have the 11mm one (the small one) implanted and that can withstand up to 75 Kg per leg when fully extended (at it's weakest). I am 62Kgs bodyweight so... Yeah it is fully weight bearing.

What is NOT fully weight bearing (not even partially or even just a little bit) are my leg muscles after the surgery.

What I didn't realise before the surgery is that your legs are pretty much immobile (or very close to) after you wake up from Anesthesia.

And from what I have heard from other patients and from the nurses (I'm still at 11 days post surgery), it takes around 3 weeks for enough strength and flex to come back to your legs and allow them to "step" properly and somewhat safely. (And for the swelling to go down).

So, the only thing I was able to do at day 0 or day 1 after surgery was to hold my legs straight.

(Even today at day 11 post op, even though now I can help stand up by pushing a little bit of weight through my legs, there is no way I would be able to hold my body weight if I flex the knee by more than 15 or 20degrees... Meaning from fully extended, if I bend them little bit, I would collapse right away).

With a device like the Walker, you can "hop" with both legs straight and move around like that. Easily? Well, it depends on your upper body strength. I find it easy, but slow. Other patient (especially females who don't hold much strength with their arms, find it harder).

I do not understand even now how people (if any), manage to use crutches from day 1. I wouldn't be able to. Not because the G-nail, but because crutches require you to do steps, do a little knee bending, and have balance. I had NONE of those during the first days.

Was that a problem? Not really for me because I even had less general energy after surgery so once I did 5 or 6 trips to the toilette, get out of the room to say hello to other people  and a few back and forth within the room, i was pretty much exhausted.

Said that though, I was independent and mobile from day 1. Yes with the Walker (and wheelchair for longer distances) but I was.

Precise patients do not get to this level of mobility until their consolidation period.

Then, from what I understood from the doctor and nurses, at week 3 post op, I should have regained enough strength and control of my legs that we can safely re introduce steps and therefore walking with crutches.

I honestly feel I could do it even now, and in fact I do take little steps to maneuver around the room and also tried the crutches myself, but I'll be patient.

I can also tell you that, in the last few days l, I've gone to PT by myself (no nurse or assistance at all). So, with the Walker I went downstairs, hopped in and out of a taxi, reached the PT place and walked in myself.

Once in there, I could independently move in and out of the various stations without any assistance at all, whilst my friends with precice they all need to be either lifted into place or they can just stand still and stationary until someone bring them a wheelchair.

For them (especially for the bigger dudes) this will be the case for the next 3 or 4 months. Let that sink in. Wheelchair bound for that much time with the risk of bending the nail at each "missteps" you take.. I wouldn't be able to do that. Kudos to the ones that go through it, but also think about the consequences to your muscles and time to recovery.

Again, in this regard, yesterday afternoon I grabbed the Walker and went to the gym, did  a good one hour between cycling and weights and felt really good. All by myself, indipendent. I chatted with people and felt good overall. And it'll hopefully go downhill from here.

And so, with the G-nail, in another 10 days or so, I should reach the next milestone which is making steps and using crutches and at that point life goes almost back to normal .... will start visiting Athens, will plan trips to the Greek islands and more.

So, is G-nail all good and great?NO, hell no. I hate the clicking. The thought of having to do this twice a day makes me cringe. Why?
Because the process and the movement required is awful.

In details, it doesn't hurt. The clicks don't hurt (unless you consolidate prematurely), but the process of having to warm up on the bike, stretch, find your position each leg, find the "first" click and repeat twice a day for months is tiring.

What makes it so (especially now) is that I am also sore on top of that... My legs are sore. Every day I do something more than usual, a little more exercise or movement in general, I get sore and twisting your leg while sore isn't the most pleasurable sensation. Not painful again, but definitely annoying.

In conclusion, me personally Im happy with the G-nail so far and would never go precice and be wheelchair bound for months. Hopefully some company brings back some sort of Stryde derivative in the future so to remove the clicking aspect from the nail and that would be bingo.

Feel free to DM me of you want. We might do a video call or something along those lines to show you how it is.

Hi OzBoy,

Thank you very much for your detailed response.
My heartfelt thanks go out to you.

I've sent you a private message.

Stay strong!

thankscience

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2022, 01:43:35 AM »

Hey OzBoy39, how is your progress going?

Do you go out to do groceries or get them delivered? Also, do you take taxi to the PT place each day? How much does it cost each way?

Thanks again!

OzBoy39

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2022, 05:10:33 AM »

Hi Thankscience,

Progress is great I believe. I should have reached around 21 or 22m. Next Monday it will be my first X-ray after the surgery and  first follow up with the Doc.

I get groceries delivered through the app Wolt and yes I do take taxis to and from PT.
From Novotel it's about 7 or 8 euro to go and another 7 or 8 to come back. So it's about 15 Euro per day in taxi fees.

From the Montana and Hyatt I heard it is about double so about 30 euro.

In this regard, yesterday with the nurse we spoke with Novotel and I believe they got a very good deal with them so Giotikas will be most likely recommending Novotel too as an option.

I'll upload a few posts now with videos of me clicking
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 06:42:34 AM by OzBoy39 »

OzBoy39

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2022, 05:19:42 AM »

CLICKS

Clicking is getting easier, but for the ones who have not yet done the surgery, please listen

The first day of clicking sucks. Watch my videos below.
That twisting of the leg seems easy and if you try it at home you'll find that you can reach those angles without problems.

However, now you will do it with broken legs. That makes it painful. What type of pain? Well, if you try to move fast is like a stabbing pain that grows very fast and last one or two seconds.

How I managed to do it? SLOWLY.
The first day it took me 1 hour plus to finish the clicks. 25 minutes just to do the first on each leg.

As I started twisting my legs the pain  grew very high and very fast to the point of me having to stop. But that pain resembled to me the same pain you feel when you're stretching deeply muscles like the quad or hamstring. So I figured, maybe if I hold my legs in a position of mild to intense air for a few seconds, then the pain may subside and the leg might get used to it. YES, that wad the trick. So at the beginning (even today) I start tisting the leg super slowly until I feel a bit ofndiscomfort and pai  (not too much) and I gold it there for 5 to 10 seconds. Then I rest. Put the leg down and wait half a minute. Then I go again and this time I'll go further. Until you reach a point where it clicks and then it's done.

Take your time, and don't stress. The key to this movement is to have the leg completely relaxed. If you tense up (and you will for sure at the beginning, your legs will resist the torsion and make itnimpossible to click) . You habe to consciously relax your leg, know that you're gonna feel a little pain  ytbthat it's just literally a few seconds.

Anyway, enough with me ranting.

How I do it practically ?  I've experimented with 2 techniques
CONVENTIONAL
2 HANDS

See next post

OzBoy39

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2022, 06:20:25 AM »

CONVENTIONAL

this is the technique that the doctor recommended and that I tried when I was in hospital at day 0, day1 and 2.

I can only manage to use on my left leg. Can't click the right leg with this technique. It is very convenient compared to the one I use now because tou don't have to hold your leg with your arm. You just lay in bed, watching TV. And when you get the right angle, clicks are very easy

See videos below
https://streamable.com/zykwe8

(And let me know if the lin doesn't work please)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up