Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral Femur with Dr. Paley 11/2022  (Read 20140 times)

portnoy

• Visitor
Re: Bilateral Femur with Dr. Paley 11/2022
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2023, 05:17:34 PM »

PT told me today that the things I am feeling are very normal. PT is what I am looking forward to everyday. It’s pretty fun. A few people are leaving this week. It is interesting that people say they want to be done and leave as soon as possible, but when it comes to the time to leave, it is a little sad as many have lived here for at least 3 months and got used to the life here. I am looking forward to going back as soon as possible though. Consider that I have 43 mm to go, i.e. 43 days, and that I’ve been here for 44 days, I am almost 1/2 done with the process!

Not sure if mentioned it but what would be the cost breakdown for this at Palay? With housing, transport etc. (Also does he offer insurance for complications?)

portnoy

• Visitor
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2023, 05:26:47 PM »

Theres a video of me doing squats on my most recent post
I went from 5’7 to 5’10. Biomechanics wont matter much unless your femurs were already very long.
I could do a squat ass to grass which I think matters a lot more than proportions.

Reading that thread you seem to have some regrets. Would that be correct?

krizza81

• Visitor
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2023, 06:29:19 PM »

I'm in my early 20s as well. If you don't mind me asking how did you afford this? Did you save up or did your parents help you financially to proceed this procedure?

erenyeager1

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2023, 07:53:57 PM »

Do most people make it to the full 8 cm?

Most patients that I’ve talked to get very close to the limit. For femur only they usually are able to reach 7.x cm and for both femurs and tibia usually 9.x cm. I will honestly be happy with 7 cm, but I will try my best to push to 8 cm.

You should be able to ask Paley for more oxy

Talked to a few patients about this. Robbins doesn’t give people any more oxy at my stage of lengthening, so pretty much what I have left is what I have for the last few weeks.

Not sure if mentioned it but what would be the cost breakdown for this at Palay? With housing, transport etc. (Also does he offer insurance for complications?)

For femur, 100k for surgery, 15k for housing, at least 6k for caregiver if you are alone, and plus food and transportation. Insurance is not something that doctor offer. You should check with your insurance company if they cover these things. Mine covers additional PT but definitely not complications, and I am not confident that any insurance company will cover complications from elective surgeries. I prepared 30k for additional cost just in case.

I'm in my early 20s as well. If you don't mind me asking how did you afford this? Did you save up or did your parents help you financially to proceed this procedure?

I’ve been thinking about the surgery for a long time, like since high school junior year. I didn’t have the money then, and my parents didn’t want me to do it back then. I saved 35k with two college internships and saved like 90k working two years after graduation. My parents also chipped in 50k for living cost and potential complication if it happens (which is very unlikely at this point). I saved them some money by finishing college a year early thanks to pandemic. If you work in tech or consulting or trading or banking, it shouldn’t take too long to save for the surgery. I don’t recommend that you do the surgery if you would be stressed about finance during the course of the surgery. The surgery is already difficult, worrying here and there would be bad to your mental health.
Bilateral femur surgery at Paley 11/29/2022

Currently consolidating. ~8 cm gained.

If you don't hear from me, it means I am doing well!

Megatron

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2023, 09:23:15 PM »

Hey Erenyeager1, congrats on coming closing to finishing this procedure. Wish you the best on closing it out with 0 to minimal muscle tightness and nerve pain with the rest to go. How was it for you getting around during the lengthening phase month by month breakdown. For example task like getting water, switching from bed to couch, using washroom, brushing teeth, showering etc.. Would like to get an idea of what future lengtheners are in for in terms of the beginning stages with mobility, and completing task that used to be so simple for them.

Do you have any idea when you'll be cleared to start walking short distances with a walker?

erenyeager1

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2023, 10:07:36 PM »

Hey Erenyeager1, congrats on coming closing to finishing this procedure. Wish you the best on closing it out with 0 to minimal muscle tightness and nerve pain with the rest to go. How was it for you getting around during the lengthening phase month by month breakdown. For example task like getting water, switching from bed to couch, using washroom, brushing teeth, showering etc.. Would like to get an idea of what future lengtheners are in for in terms of the beginning stages with mobility, and completing task that used to be so simple for them.

Do you have any idea when you'll be cleared to start walking short distances with a walker?

The first two weeks you would definitely need someone with you. It is just almost impossible to get around yourself without exhausting yourself quickly and risking falling down etc. Then beginning around week 3 post op, things got a lot easier as surgical pain goes away. All you need is walker next to you and then you can use the walker to get to the wheelchair. I can brush teeth, use restroom and go around with my walker and wheelchair. For things you can’t reach, the hospital give you a grabber which has been very helpful. Shower is okay by myself too. You just need to grab the towels and clothes to change ahead of time. I usually park my wheelchair next to the rollin shower with towels and clothes on it and then transfer to the bench with walker. A few people I met here have been living by themselves since week 2 post op, and they have been doing well. One of them told me that time flies once you last 4 cm.

About walking - when you walk, you are putting your whole body weight on one leg for a brief moment. Even when I have a 75 lbs rod, it is not okay to do this until the bone is completely healed. I think I can start walking with walker in May or June.

racecarworm

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2023, 03:35:44 AM »

No, not reallt regrets. Just some things I thought about being taller wasn’t true.

portnoy

• Visitor
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2023, 03:41:15 AM »

No, not reallt regrets. Just some things I thought about being taller wasn’t true.
Such as?

racecarworm

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2023, 08:50:39 AM »

Some of my held beliefs about being short changed after LL:

- I thought my height would have a huge huge impact on how people perceive and respect me as a man. I no longer believe that at all. Met a few shorter guys that I have tremendous respect for, and genuinely admire them. Probably only matters for first encounters, but that doesn't last.
- How attractive you are will change if you are taller. TRUE but now think that can be achieved in other ways. Charisma matters a loooot more than height does
- A lot more I can't list off the top of my head. Will come back if more comes into my mind.

portnoy

• Visitor
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »

Some of my held beliefs about being short changed after LL:

- I thought my height would have a huge huge impact on how people perceive and respect me as a man. I no longer believe that at all. Met a few shorter guys that I have tremendous respect for, and genuinely admire them. Probably only matters for first encounters, but that doesn't last.
- How attractive you are will change if you are taller. TRUE but now think that can be achieved in other ways. Charisma matters a loooot more than height does
- A lot more I can't list off the top of my head. Will come back if more comes into my mind.

Hmm I’d think height is probably the number one thing with regards to how attractive you are to females. Of course it should not take over your whole personality

the188cmdream

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2023, 04:25:45 PM »

Hmm I’d think height is probably the number one thing with regards to how attractive you are to females. Of course it should not take over your whole personality

If you are 5'7 or 5'8 and lengthen to 5'10 or 5'11 more women might consider dating you but it won't make you more attractive to women from my experience. Basically, your dating pool expands but you still have to work jut as hard to get any of the girls in your dating pool.

I think dating becomes easier when you reach a 183-190 cm range, I wouldn't do this for dating if I would still end up under that range. That's my personal view on things. Roughly 6' to 6'3 for you Americans.

hippo60

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2023, 05:25:40 PM »

If you are 5'7 or 5'8 and lengthen to 5'10 or 5'11 more women might consider dating you but it won't make you more attractive to women from my experience. Basically, your dating pool expands but you still have to work jut as hard to get any of the girls in your dating pool.

I think dating becomes easier when you reach a 183-190 cm range, I wouldn't do this for dating if I would still end up under that range. That's my personal view on things. Roughly 6' to 6'3 for you Americans.

What you're saying just doesn't make any sense. Go see how many women will date a guy who is 2-3 inches shorter than them. Larger pool = increasing your chances. Not that I advocate for people to do LL for the sake of dating, but each to his own.

the188cmdream

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2023, 09:28:20 PM »

What you're saying just doesn't make any sense. Go see how many women will date a guy who is 2-3 inches shorter than them. Larger pool = increasing your chances. Not that I advocate for people to do LL for the sake of dating, but each to his own.

It does make sense, I don't think 5'10 is makes you SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive than 5'8 to women who would have considered dating you previously (they didn't reject you purely based on height). However, you do become an option to some women would have rejected you purely based on height before. Whereas going from 5'8 to 6'1 will make you more attractive to the vast majority of women who would have been willing to date you at 5'8.

By being willing to date a man who is about average height they already made it clear that height to them was important, yes, but not the end all be all. Going from slightly below average to slightly above average isn't going to make you that much more attractive to those women.

The women that were willing to date you at 5'8 won't suddenly salivate and jump in bed with you just because you are 5'10... I am not saying that this would happen if you were 6'+, but being tall makes dating easier while being average height increases the size of your dating pool.

That's just my personal take on things, feel free to disagree.

I also don't think doing this procedure to make yourself more marketable in the dating scene is a good idea.

hippo60

« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2023, 11:09:26 PM »

It does make sense, I don't think 5'10 is makes you SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive than 5'8 to women who would have considered dating you previously (they didn't reject you purely based on height).

I don't want to offend you, but I think you're delusional. There is a difference between "I'm only dating 6'+ guys" (which will reject both 5'8 and 5'10) to "I don't want to date someone shorter than me".

You're 5'10. I understand you have tall people around you making you feel like you're on the shorter end, but I don't think you'll ever understand what it means to be truly short (like "95% of the guys are taller than you" short). And honestly? Good for you that you don't need to.

Wanttobe180

• Visitor
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2023, 12:36:18 AM »

My surgery date is Feb 2nd in Paley institute (femur also), maybe we will meet in the PT center later.
Hopes you will have a speed recovery!

erenyeager1

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2023, 05:02:38 AM »

It does make sense, I don't think 5'10 is makes you SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive than 5'8 to women who would have considered dating you previously (they didn't reject you purely based on height). However, you do become an option to some women would have rejected you purely based on height before. Whereas going from 5'8 to 6'1 will make you more attractive to the vast majority of women who would have been willing to date you at 5'8.

By being willing to date a man who is about average height they already made it clear that height to them was important, yes, but not the end all be all. Going from slightly below average to slightly above average isn't going to make you that much more attractive to those women.

The women that were willing to date you at 5'8 won't suddenly salivate and jump in bed with you just because you are 5'10... I am not saying that this would happen if you were 6'+, but being tall makes dating easier while being average height increases the size of your dating pool.

That's just my personal take on things, feel free to disagree.

I also don't think doing this procedure to make yourself more marketable in the dating scene is a good idea.

I don't want to offend you, but I think you're delusional. There is a difference between "I'm only dating 6'+ guys" (which will reject both 5'8 and 5'10) to "I don't want to date someone shorter than me".

You're 5'10. I understand you have tall people around you making you feel like you're on the shorter end, but I don't think you'll ever understand what it means to be truly short (like "95% of the guys are taller than you" short). And honestly? Good for you that you don't need to.

I think, at the end of the day, if you have thought about this for years and really want to do it, you should do it, no matter what the reason is. And set a goal and don't overdo it. There will always be someone in this world taller than you, so do what you can if it is safe and don't think it about it again afterwards.

My surgery date is Feb 2nd in Paley institute (femur also), maybe we will meet in the PT center later.
Hopes you will have a speed recovery!

Looking forward to meet you. Good luck on the surgery.

erenyeager1

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2023, 05:38:44 AM »

Day 50:

My time left here is shorter than the time I've spent here. I am at 4.4 cm, which means 36 mm to go. Plus a week afterwards for X ray and adjustments if needed, I have about 43 days left before I head back home. Last few days were busy. Last batch of patients are all leaving. I am happy for them. I've grown to like this place and got too used to this life. It reminds me of one of the summer camps I went to when I was a kid. At the beginning I really wanted to go home, and at the end I hoped time would go a little slower. Socialing with other patients really helps my sanity and keeps me positive.

I am overall doing pretty well. Muscles got a little tighter but not by much. Nerve pain has got worse in my lower left leg, but it is still very much managable. The pain is high only after I sit for a long time. If I stand up and lie flat for a little bit, it goes away. Still when it is bad, it is pretty bad, but it never stayed long, like a minute at max. I started to take gabapentin 4 days ago after writing an email to the PAs. It takes a few days to kick in, and I already feel it's helping the pain. No nerve pain in my right leg though. Only knee pain when I sit for too long, and that's muscle pain. It may be that I have herniated disc and have lower back pain on the left side. Nothing worrying so far. I will defintely update again after seeing Robbins again next Monday.

racecarworm

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2023, 10:03:49 PM »

Stay strong and keep your head up man!

erenyeager1

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2023, 07:37:56 AM »

Day 57:

Saw Robbins today. At 5 cm now. Overall doing well. Taking 2 gaba a day now. Nerve pain is manageable. Work is very busy. Robbins told me that the bone isn’t growing as much as some other patients’, but there’s nothing to worry about, as long as you can see the shape of the bone forming in the gap. It’s just that it may take longer to heal after lengthening, which is okay for me. I was being conservative not taking calcium supplement. I started taking it today. Another doctor mark unlocked my machine to 70mm. Robbins warned me that from 50mm to 80mm would be very different from what I’ve gone through so far. Past 50mm is when your body starts to attack. I don’t feel it yet, but if I do I will write it down. So far everything is consistent. I am overall very positive.

hippo60

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2023, 02:53:08 PM »

Good luck man! Hope that last 3cm goes quickly  :)

SpeedDialer

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2023, 05:37:00 PM »

Day 57:

Saw Robbins today. At 5 cm now. Overall doing well. Taking 2 gaba a day now. Nerve pain is manageable. Work is very busy. Robbins told me that the bone isn’t growing as much as some other patients’, but there’s nothing to worry about, as long as you can see the shape of the bone forming in the gap. It’s just that it may take longer to heal after lengthening, which is okay for me. I was being conservative not taking calcium supplement. I started taking it today. Another doctor mark unlocked my machine to 70mm. Robbins warned me that from 50mm to 80mm would be very different from what I’ve gone through so far. Past 50mm is when your body starts to attack. I don’t feel it yet, but if I do I will write it down. So far everything is consistent. I am overall very positive.

Great diary entry! You're in good hands with Dr. Robbins

racecarworm

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2023, 06:20:14 AM »

My bone growth rate went way up when I started taking calcium, you'll be fine I'm sure. Try to get it through good dieting aswell, dairy, cheese, fish, etc.

Cookie Girl

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2023, 05:44:11 PM »

Is everything okay ? Would you recommend your doctor?
I'm thinking of having surgery
5'3 to 5'6

erenyeager1

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2023, 07:28:21 PM »

My bone growth rate went way up when I started taking calcium, you'll be fine I'm sure. Try to get it through good dieting aswell, dairy, cheese, fish, etc.

Thanks for the info bro! I was worried about pre-consolidation so I didn’t take calcium supplement. Now I am taking two capsules everyday. I am not worried about not growing bones as I am typically a fast healer.

Is everything okay ? Would you recommend your doctor?

Yes and yes. Everything is very good.

erenyeager1

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2023, 06:55:58 AM »

At this point, based on my flexibility (hasn’t changed much since 3cm) and my nerve condition (only nerve pain when sitting for a long time), I am pretty confident that I can reach the full 8cm safely, plus I have some oxycodone left to push me through the end. Other than not weight bearing and slightly less energetic, I feel mostly normal. There’s no new patient recently because Paley has been traveling a lot and opening this new clinic in UAE. I am the only lengthening patient who’s still lengthening in the homewood hotel. Many in the last batch left mid January. There are a few others in other hotels, but they are approaching the end of journey soon too.

One suggestion I can give to future LLers is that keep stretching. Make it a habit. Honestly, even if you are not doing this surgery, stretching is good for you. What I do now everyday is hamstring, then Thomas stretch, and then some quads. I am on the lighter side in terms of workout loads.

10cm Tibia

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2023, 04:23:24 PM »

Good luck on your journey. Will you post pictures and videos in the future?

erenyeager1

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2023, 11:04:37 PM »

Good luck on your journey. Will you post pictures and videos in the future?

Probably not X-rays. These are too private. Maybe some pictures of my wounds, but there’s nothing to see there because they all healed up pretty well. There are four wounds per leg for femur. I can post videos of me walking once I can start walking in a few months. I need to buy a theatre mask to cover my face but that’s okay.

Captain Bone

• Visitor
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:21 AM »

Good luck on your journey

hippo60

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2023, 05:45:41 PM »

Probably not X-rays. These are too private. Maybe some pictures of my wounds, but there’s nothing to see there because they all healed up pretty well. There are four wounds per leg for femur. I can post videos of me walking once I can start walking in a few months. I need to buy a theatre mask to cover my face but that’s okay.

Did you use anything for your scars?

You can also hide your face / upper body and film some exercises etc., but don't stress over it because some people here decide it's a fake diary if
you don't  ::)

erenyeager1

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2023, 10:05:24 PM »

Good luck on your journey

Thanks! It has been very smooth so far.

Did you use anything for your scars?

You can also hide your face / upper body and film some exercises etc., but don't stress over it because some people here decide it's a fake diary if
you don't  ::)

One PA suggested using some ointment after the wound has healed (probably three weeks post-op), but I didn't use anything. I am not worried about scars because I usually don't scar. I had a serious cut a few years back, and it is almost invisible. Plus, I have pretty thick leg hair. I would use scar ointment for sure if I have no leg hair or need to shave them off. The scars are honestly pretty small, and people won't be able to tell. When you wear shorts, it is the same as if you only did an IT band release because the other scars are either very small or covered by your shorts. The biggest scars are on the butt where they put the rod in.

Thanks for raising that hippo60. Yeah I am aware of people deciding it's fake if the author don't post things. I've seen those comments in other folks' diaries. At the end of the day, it goes like this - if they don't ever decide to come and do it, this diary is of no use to them. If they at least go for a consultation, the minute they visit all these facilities and the hotel, they will 100% trust what I've posted is true. I am just trying to help people who decide to do it so they can go through it easier and with more confidence. Many other diaries did the same for me. I will post things if I feel like it. I am not going to post things just to prove things to some people.

Also, I am at 5.7 cm today. Robbins warned me that the last 3 cm would be much more difficult. So far it has not been the case for me. I remain about the same flexibility and nerve pain is lower, probably because I am taking 3 capsules of gaba a day now. It probably has to do with that my femurs are pretty long to begin with, so 8 cm is less of a percentage of the bone.

hippo60

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2023, 10:36:49 PM »

Thanks! It has been very smooth so far.

One PA suggested using some ointment after the wound has healed (probably three weeks post-op), but I didn't use anything. I am not worried about scars because I usually don't scar. I had a serious cut a few years back, and it is almost invisible. Plus, I have pretty thick leg hair. I would use scar ointment for sure if I have no leg hair or need to shave them off. The scars are honestly pretty small, and people won't be able to tell. When you wear shorts, it is the same as if you only did an IT band release because the other scars are either very small or covered by your shorts. The biggest scars are on the butt where they put the rod in.

Thanks for raising that hippo60. Yeah I am aware of people deciding it's fake if the author don't post things. I've seen those comments in other folks' diaries. At the end of the day, it goes like this - if they don't ever decide to come and do it, this diary is of no use to them. If they at least go for a consultation, the minute they visit all these facilities and the hotel, they will 100% trust what I've posted is true. I am just trying to help people who decide to do it so they can go through it easier and with more confidence. Many other diaries did the same for me. I will post things if I feel like it. I am not going to post things just to prove things to some people.

Also, I am at 5.7 cm today. Robbins warned me that the last 3 cm would be much more difficult. So far it has not been the case for me. I remain about the same flexibility and nerve pain is lower, probably because I am taking 3 capsules of gaba a day now. It probably has to do with that my femurs are pretty long to begin with, so 8 cm is less of a percentage of the bone.

I have a pretty thick leg hair as well so not that worried about the scars but still trying to understand if it's worth anything or not. The top scar where they insert the rod isn't a big deal since it's seen only if you're nked but what about the lower one? They're pretty similar for me.

You really don't need to "explain" yourself at all for these trolls asking for pictures/videos. Good chance their posts will be removed as well, if they weren't already. When someone isn't authentic and write a 10 sentences dairy over 3 days it's pretty easy to spot.

Do you feel any difference now from 2-3cm? I'm getting closer to 3cm and started to feel tighter around 2cm.
Btw, why 3 gabapentin? I'm taking one in the morning and one in the evening. And are you taking any other pain meds?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up