Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anxiety and stress stunting growth?  (Read 1336 times)

BabyBaron

• Visitor
Anxiety and stress stunting growth?
« on: September 19, 2022, 04:44:20 PM »

there's a condition that stunts growth, it's called stress-induced dwarfism, or Psychosocial Dwarfism.
It's a condition where growth is stunted due to emotional distress/neglect by a caregiver or other means in the child's surrounding environment, such as anxiety, social anxiety, stress, high cortisol. Despite being fed well, the child's growth curve didn't align with the normal, emotional stress and neglect were found to be present. This was apparently reversible upon removal of the child from the distressing environment, their growth returned to normal.
This gets me thinking, is it truly able to reverse to normal? What if you were meant to be 5'10 in terms of the max genetic limit, but due to this condition while growing up, and despite recovering upon removal of the stressed environment, you end up only 5'7 -5'9? Not to mention that children with anxiety disorders were 1-2 inches shorter than their peers on average.
"The study, published in the current issue of Pediatrics, found that adolescent and pre-adolescent girls who were overly anxious grew up to be roughly one to two inches shorter, on average, than other girls."

I personally was diagnosed with anxiety disorder, and grew up in abusive household, and felt extreme social anxiety in school. I'm starting to believe I was stunted, and it definitely shows because I look younger, and my arms are way too lengthy for my height, 176 cm wingspan vs. 171 cm height.

This all has to do with the stress hormone 'cortisol' inhibiting growth, stress is good in short bursts because of fight or flight response to ensure survival, but in modern society, it's becoming more and more inflicted in long term or chronic, and this cortisol hormone is essentially inhibiting growth from occurring because the body is convinced that you are in danger due to emotional neglect, distress.

Anyone here experienced a lot of stress and anxiety growing up? High school was hell for me due to social anxiety, I think it shaved off some inches.

BeyondAverage

Re: Anxiety and stress stunting growth?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 04:49:59 PM »

What does it matter now?

It’s the past and cannot be changed. Spending time consider it or discussing it won’t give you a second change to naturally gain height.

And you’re speculating anyway. There’s no way of knowing if it affected your height or not.

But I certainly know people with anxiety and horrible parents who are tall.

Maybe it’s your anxiety that’s making you dwell on the unchangeable/unknown? Spending unproductive time dwelling on the past is a sign of anxiety and depression.

Focus on what you can change. Spend this energy instead on making an actionable plan to get limb lengthening that you can follow through with and change your life.
Starting height: 180cm

Goal height: 191cm

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

It stunts growth, not just height.  That wingspan discrepancy is meaningless.

BeyondAverage

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:59:22 PM »

It stunts growth, not just height.  That wingspan discrepancy is meaningless.

It might even show the opposite, demonstrate that his overall growth was healthy.
Starting height: 180cm

Goal height: 191cm

BabyBaron

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:32:20 PM »

Also, morning height is 173.5 cm, night height is 171.5 cm. Not 171, my bad. I don't know why, but most online says wingspan height ratio is 1:1.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 08:28:32 PM »

That's average but people go pretty far in either direction. 

BabyBaron

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 10:45:50 PM »

Actually you are right, I didn't stunt my growth. This anxiety stress thing needs to be constant, and affected way earlier in childhood, not very affected during teens, and it needs to be everyday, and quite extreme. There's an ulnar measurement to height conversion online and my ulnar length is around 25.5-26 cm, this correlates to 171-173 cm, exactly where it should be. My mom tried it and same height for her, so it's accurate and it's used in scientific studies.

https://www.hauoratairawhiti.org.nz/assets/Documents/Pressure-injuries/Estimating-height-from-Ulna-Length.pdf

VermontGuy762

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 11:18:50 PM »

Mine says I should be 5'11 but I'm 5'6 LOL

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 11:41:29 PM »

Makes no difference if you did or not.  What matters is your neight now.

My friend is 6'2 and had poor diet and sleep growing up.  Should he get LL to make up for "stunting his growth?"

No, it's just short guys who talk like this, trying to make an excuse to get LL. :P

BabyBaron

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 11:53:26 PM »

Mine says I should be 5'11 but I'm 5'6 LOL

did you measure correctly? I often measure wrong because I had to measure it myself with no help from someone else, and it often goes over by a cm or more, which makes several inches of difference according to the chart. For example, I measured wrong one time at 28cm and thought my height should have been 5'11, or 27. After doing a bunch of trial over and over, and consistently getting 25.5-26 cm, and making sure it's done properly, at the right bone area, right posture, it's confirmed.

BabyBaron

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 11:56:53 PM »

Makes no difference if you did or not.  What matters is your neight now.

My friend is 6'2 and had poor diet and sleep growing up.  Should he get LL to make up for "stunting his growth?"

No, it's just short guys who talk like this, trying to make an excuse to get LL. :P

I get it, but I just feel so frustrated whenever I think that I could have been taller, especially 5'9, since that's the average, the acceptable zone, and I'm shy about 2 inches from it, and then thinking back all the times I might have stunted growth, it's hard to accept and move on.
Also not to mention I deal with a chronic liver disease, and then reading studies about how it stunts growth, that just makes it worse. Then walking down the street, being towered over, feeling small and ego crushed.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 01:04:03 AM »

Yeah, everyone who does that with any problem is wasting time self-destructively.

BabyBaron

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 07:03:26 PM »

Also, sorry but that previous ulnar measurement is for Caucasian. Here's the updated version depending on race if anyone is interested.

SOURCE:

Oil and Fish

• tytytytt6t6
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 01:30:38 PM »

I don't think you should make drama out of what've stunted your growth even if it really did because it's pointless.
What else can do you except mourning for your past?
Theodosis Prousalis

z11k

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 10:01:37 PM »

Yooo we have the same height, ulna length, and wingspan. And coincidentally I'd consider my childhood very stress inducing.
I'm not too concerned about it though, I'm just trying to get my LL as quick as possible.
Current: 171cm (5'7.5)
Method: Precice 2.2 Femurs
Goal: 8cm (5'10.5)

vadimman

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 01:21:01 AM »

Impossible to know unless you know your genetic height by any means.
Anyway, what is the point of immersing yourself in the past?

junior006

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »

There's certainly no way of quantifying subclinical cases thus making it impossible to prove if someone underwent this. It's mostly observed in toddler aged children. But it's well known in medical literature that cortisol inhibits longitudinal bone growth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up