Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 240664 times)

programdude

So, just got back from West Palm Beach(home of the overairconditioned airport and incomprehensible taxi drivers) and had a consult with Dr. Paley who seemed confident I could lengthen 3 and a quarter inches.
Not officially scheduled as I type this, but likely locking it in on the 29th of this month!
I'm a male, 23 years old, good health.
I am currently 5 8(well, just shy of 5 8 according to Paleys office, just over it according to my one at home) so I will end at 5 11.
The surgery will cost 85k after IT band releases. Basically taking a no cutting corners approach, although I will try and live very conservatively once I'm out there.
I still need to decided exactly how I am going to tackle transportation. On one hand I would like my car there so I can drive around, but transporting it is just another expense and I do plan on traveling back a few times and wouldn't want to be carless.
Pretty crazy that I've actually moved forward this, still remember stumbling across this site a couple months ago. Any support is welcome, its gonna be a long/lonely/boring 3-4 months.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

G-Man

Good for you! I wish you a nice LL under the Florida sunshine!

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Cool!  Good luck to you with your LL (although I'm sure you won't need it, going with a doctor like Paley.)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

Awesome man. I kind of want to have a consultation with Dr Paley even though I can't afford him just so I can meet the guy. Wish you all the best.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

programdude

Haha, well he is a cool guy but I wouldn't say that would be a good investment!

So, interestingly enough the date I wanted was snatched up, but the good news is one even sooner- the 22nd- was freed up! So I am locked in for that. Crazy to think in a months time I'll be taller.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

programdude

I've made my deposit at this point so I'm totally locked in. Right now I mainly need to decide if I am having my car shipped down.
On one hand it would be nice to be able to get around if I wanted to see a movie/eat out etc etc. On the other hand a lot of my time will be spent just exercising at the hotel and they have a grocery service/buffet so I don't know how useful it would actually be seeing as it would be 1400 or so minimum for shipping both ways and I wouldn't have access to it when I came back home for brief visits, so I am currently leaning towards not having it.

programdude

Ok, had a pretty awful time confirming they received my down payment, but now that they confirmed its received I've paid the full amount. Damn, 85k just like that!
I am going to fly in on the 16th to get used to the place and stock up on things for the room.

shortkid

Ok, had a pretty awful time confirming they received my down payment, but now that they confirmed its received I've paid the full amount. Damn, 85k just like that!
I am going to fly in on the 16th to get used to the place and stock up on things for the room.

did they tell you when you could book an appointment or did they say you had to wait until after your consultation? I called yesterday to see how far out i would have to book my surgery after my consultation and the lady said she didn't know until after my consultation. I need to know so I can plan things. Makes it difficult

programdude

I emailed with Paley initially. A consult is mandatory, however, he said it would be possible to arrange them both within a similar time frame so you wouldn't need to make multiple trips.

However, my advice is to be sure you get their medical clearance forms taken care of before hand to avoid any frustrations.

This is all a very tricky thing to juggle with so many components, so just make sure you have all your bases covered.

Grow

• Visitor

So, interestingly enough the date I wanted was snatched up, but the good news is one even sooner- the 22nd- was freed up! So I am locked in for that. Crazy to think in a months time I'll be taller.

Good luck!

BilateralDamage

I hope your journey goes extremely smooth Program. :)  You sound very realistic and I'm sure you'll do very well.  With Paley, you really can't go wrong, so just keep that in mind.  There could be setbacks, but you'll always come out of it well.

I'm still lengthening at home but I'm flying back every 2 weeks.  I'll probably see you at the Homewood Suites when I'm visiting all the lengtheners!  Also, I'm planning on using my unused PT visits when I'm done lengthening, and might even live in Florida then (sometime around the end of August).  PT after lengthening is just as important as PT during, and I have about 43 PT visits remaining (so I'll stay there at least a month!)

Remember- caregiver, caregiver, caregiver!  You cannot do this alone the first 2 weeks, you need someone.  Maybe, just maybe, the 4 days in the hospital you can be alone, but calling the nurses for every tiny thing is a hassle when they take a long time to come (emptying your pee container, grabbing you a drink, bringing your laptop to bed, etc.)  I have a few phone numbers and agencies I can give you if you want me to PM them to you.

Also, reach out to Cooper on the forums.  He's staying at the Homewood Suites and he'll be glad to meet you, help you out and introduce you to everyone.  He's my closest lengthener friend :)  He's doing very well right now and has a diary here too.

programdude

Thanks a lot big D. You were actually the one who pushed me into definitively going with Paley in one of my earlier topics. Information about caregivers would be great. I will need one, unless I can convince a girl to come and give me a hand.

Def look forward to meeting you cooper and all. Movies and books will only go so far.

programdude

Alright, after flying through a lightning storm I'm officially in West Palm and likely not leaving till I'm 3 and a quarter inches taller. Pretty sure I already saw a patient or two.

Less than a week and I will be in surgery, pretty surreal stuff! Figured I'd get here early to be all settled in and get to know the layout of whats gonna be my home for a quarter to a third of a year before I'm crippled.

Still haven't figured out about the caretaker but I'm assuming Paley can nudge me in the right direction there.

Grow

• Visitor

Programdude, my daughter is a current patient of Paley and I've seen some lengtheners with caretakers/helpers when I take her in for PT. You could ask them for suggestions.

programdude

Bilateral sent me over a caretakers number, so I will use them if they are available.

Grow

• Visitor

Bilateral sent me over a caretakers number, so I will use them if they are available.

I'm glad you've got some leads. Bilateral is a great source of information.

YellowSpike

Alright, after flying through a lightning storm I'm officially in West Palm and likely not leaving till I'm 3 and a quarter inches taller. Pretty sure I already saw a patient or two.

Less than a week and I will be in surgery, pretty surreal stuff! Figured I'd get here early to be all settled in and get to know the layout of whats gonna be my home for a quarter to a third of a year before I'm crippled.

Still haven't figured out about the caretaker but I'm assuming Paley can nudge me in the right direction there.

Programdude, just wanted to wish you the best of luck! My surgery with Rozbruch is a month from tomorrow, so I'm right behind ya!

programdude

Thanks a lot man. I am having a great last few days as a non cripple, but definitely ready to get this process going.

programdude

12 Hours to go and I should be post op and 1mm taller.

YellowSpike

12 Hours to go and I should be post op and 1mm taller.

Go get em bro!  ;D

G-Man

Yeah baby!

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Go get 'em tiger!

programdude

Hey everyone! So its said and done! Since this is a diary I'll summarize the events so new people interested in CLL can get an idea of what to expect
I arrived at 5 30 as I had been instructed I've been walking everywhere I need to, but of course wasn't going to walk to my surgery in this neighborhood at 5 AM(getting shot or mugged would not have enhanced the experience).
After a short wait I was called in, my vitals and clothes, and bag of personal items all taken. And I was prepped with my IV etc.
The nurse and anasthesiologist paid me a visit and went over the process, explaining how the epidural would be going in and all that. The wait wasn't really all that bad, especially compared to waiting in Paley's lobby, though any moment waiting felt like a crawl.

Eventually they injected me with "happy juice" and wheeled me off to the operating room as they bustled about.

Then I was nauseous and shivering uncontrollably, with my only thought being me wishing they'd put me under already so I wouldn't feel so sick. Eventually they found a way of subduing it, when I noticed we were in another room, so I managed a "what room is this". And she said "recovery" only then did I realize my surgery was long since done.

I passed in and out a few times, was brought up to my room where I passed out a few more time, but food and my stuff was brought to me. And here I am=] Forgive the typing, I'm still not all there, but just wanted to report that at least this initial part wasn't bad at all.

programdude

Still doing great, I was able to get into a wheelchair and everyone is surprised by how well I'm doing.

Worst part so far has been them giving me gravy when I didn't ask for it :p.

You seriously have a whole team working on you throughout your stay. Someone is always coming in the room to check on you, and they answer immediately when you buzz for them. They are checking your vitals, keeping you hydrated, changing your pee bag, and the gentleman who helped me into the wheelchair provided a tour and some company.

Everyone was saying I could be discharged early but Paley just visited my room and said because I'm here alone and already paid for four nights that I should use them all, which could actually save me a lot of money since the assistants are expensive. Contrary to what some have said, you absolutely won't need an assistant during the hospital stay as you are being waited on hand and foot. A planner will be appointed to you who will help you square away home aids, medication, and transportation.

At least at this stage sleep comes easy, although it is regularly interrupted, but it hasn't bothered me. For the most part I feel normal but will occasionally get super tired.

Paley also indicated that due to my age I could begin clicking tomorrow so thats exciting!

Once the epidural comes out tomorrow I can move around but will likely experience a bit of pain, so I'll be sure to report on that.

G-Man

Living the dream!  :)

programdude

So far yeah, still just the very beginning of my journey, but I've got a good feeling.

programdude

legs are slowly coming back, with great effort I can raise the right one and straighten it.

Btw anyone who gets this surgery should be glued to their breathing device- every time I sleep I wake up with 100-102 fever, but doing that brings it down to about 98. And I only sleep for two hours tops so you will get seriously sick if you are lazy with this.

programdude

Today has been rough, nothings really worked out well. Early on they had me stand up, which cause me to feel extremely off balance and made me throw up.
Later, the epidural came out, which is painless itself, but pretty quickly the pain was bad. Shortly thereafter I had to have a bowel movement but the nurse just would not come. Called three times until finally someone came and very slowly set up the beside commode. I don't know how she didn't realize how urgent it was as she went through the motions of explaining things. With extreme difficulty I was able to get on it and have a successful and very long bowel movement, which wasn't pleasant but also wasn't terrible. Was really light headed and felt terrible.
I had only taken one percocet so when moving from the commode to the bed I was literally screaming as the nurse and PT helped me. Then they took the catheter out which was pretty unpleasant. They gave me another percocet, and I requested some IV pain relief but again things are taking forever and I still don't have this. I don't know what, but something was done to my left tibia which is causing a lot of pain.
Really not my day.

programdude

Had to make a second bowel movement which I was dreading after the previous time. It was still ungodly awful but better overall. Trying to stay strong since I know this part only lasts so long.

BilateralDamage

Stay strong buddy!  This is by far the worst part and it only gets easier after the hospital.

You're already doing great, I couldn't even walk to or sit on the commode that early!  Just take it easy and know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.   :)

YellowSpike

Yikes, that sounds rough programdude. Hang in there, I'm sure things can only go up from the day you had today. You're in the thick of it now, but once you leave the hospital, it will get better.

I must admit, this has me kinda scared. I'm aiming to get out of the hospital after 2 nights. Dr. Rozbruch said it's possible, and I know several Dr. M patients get out after only 2 nights...but I guess I'm gonna have to work for that! I'm actually going to ask if they can get me Oxycontin before they move me around without the epidural, as I know that's stronger than Percocet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up