Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 240689 times)

Taller

Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »

How were his proportions after doing 7CM?

programdude

« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »

Fine from what I could tell, you would never think twice about his proportions, at least with shorts on. He started off very short at around 5 3 or so. He had shorter tibia to begin with too.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Taller

« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2014, 12:02:18 AM »

Fine from what I could tell, you would never think twice about his proportions, at least with shorts on. He started off very short at around 5 3 or so. He had shorter tibia to begin with too.

Awesome! I'm glad for him! I have friends who are 5'6 and completely fine with their heights. I hate to admit it, but 5'3 almost seems freakishly short for an adult man, but 5'6 seems very normal. Definitely not "ideal", but perfectly normal. Going from crazy short (height is unfortunately the first thing I notice about 5'3 people, but not 5'6 people) to just normal (going from bellow the 1st percentile to 5th-8th percentile), must be a very positive and life changing experience.

programdude

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »

He seemed extremely happy and seemed keen on doing tibias sometime in the next few years.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

programdude

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »

August 16th-
ZZZquill works how my LL friend advertised. Basically falling asleep is just about as difficult and you will still wake up fairly frequently- however unlike usually you will be able to pass out again. This led to a very weird night of me passing out and waking up at least 20 times. After 7ish hours I felt groggy and like crap but forced myself to go get breakfast at which point I felt a bit better. So this'll help me but not the end all be all for awesome sleep.

Two groups of LL'ers are gone so it seems really quiet here. I'm very happy for them though, they seemed very satisfied and because they had a good support system seemed to have a good journey, and were thankful for no complications.

I know theres been progress with my issues etc. but the physchological aspect of this is still very taxing- The big issues mostly defeated so I'm back to having just a general dull feeling of not being well-aches, stomach, not actually being able to focus on anything, poor sleep. Getting texts from people who think I'm off having a blast as I'm lying around in discomfort sort of sucks, and every day when I wheelchair to get food(the only way to carry it) I just feel so in the way of everyone in/around the elevator/trying to get food. I know this all sounds super petty, but it all combines and mixes together into a very real negative feeling that I think people should be aware of. I am closing in on that one month mark which does feel good, but I really need to see another X-Ray to get me going again. I think I have one sometime early next week though which is good assuming every things working fine(if the pain and tightness are anything to go by, it is).

Plzen

« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »

Interesting thoughts, regarding the negative feelings. As a non-LLer, I never think about those things. Also this is just a pure guess, but because you are more accomplished (have your business etc.), you are probably not used to being helpless.
Right now, keep up with the program, one month has passed the rest will pass as well.

I have a question regarding the ITB release, did Dr. Paley said that you needed ITB release because without that surgery, the nail was at risk for bending during lengthening? Did you says that ITB surgery was absolutely necessary or it is just helpful

Moubgf

« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/6102_197852273687558_1968076425_n.jpg

Check the guy in red trousers. His torso is way to short for his legs. But arms balance it out imo.

If you put your fingers infront of his arm you will see the disperancy more obvious. Now that is how i don't want to look.

G-Man

« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »

Seems normal to me.

programdude

« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

He insisted on it, not that I argued. Based off the large amount of muscle I had- but I forget why this was a problem(if it was because of my goal of 8 cm, tightness, etc.).

Being helpless is certainly something I am loathing. For example not being able to just gather up my laundry and go do it grates on me. And today I ordered delivery they said it would be an hour but it was 30 mins, so instead of being in the lobby as planned I was in my room, I told him just to come up and I tried to get the crutches but by the time he was knocking I had to settle on the walker, plop in the wheelchair and get over there. Hard to explain why this is so frustrating, but literally taking twice as long to get from the bed to the doorway as it takes some dude to get from the lobby to your third floor room sucks. I know these sound petty- and they ARE petty, but day after day, week after week, moment after moment they do get to you if you don't have a proper support system.

Hope people don't view this as being dramatic etc. I just want people to be aware of how you mentally feel going through this the way I have.

programdude

« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »

Aug 18th- A little bummed out, they don't have me scheduled for x rays for a full week which will be 3 weeks since my last x rays. Was really looking forward to seeing/confirming progress(although based off how I feel I'm sure its working). At least I should be on the way to 4 CM by then.

Btw, as of 2 days ago I've been in FL two months, and just 4 days till its been a month post op.

Moubgf

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »

He insisted on it, not that I argued. Based off the large amount of muscle I had- but I forget why this was a problem(if it was because of my goal of 8 cm, tightness, etc.).

Being helpless is certainly something I am loathing. For example not being able to just gather up my laundry and go do it grates on me. And today I ordered delivery they said it would be an hour but it was 30 mins, so instead of being in the lobby as planned I was in my room, I told him just to come up and I tried to get the crutches but by the time he was knocking I had to settle on the walker, plop in the wheelchair and get over there. Hard to explain why this is so frustrating, but literally taking twice as long to get from the bed to the doorway as it takes some dude to get from the lobby to your third floor room sucks. I know these sound petty- and they ARE petty, but day after day, week after week, moment after moment they do get to you if you don't have a proper support system.

Hope people don't view this as being dramatic etc. I just want people to be aware of how you mentally feel going through this the way I have.

Lol i would not take myself to serious. Just laugh at the whole situation and 4 months from then you are where you want to be. What else can we ask for. Love it.

programdude

« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »

Don't get me wrong, usually do that. When I'm hanging out with my LL buds I just joke about how crazy/crippled we are. Its really when I'm alone and can't focus on anything but the discomfort that things are bad(which is also when I write these). Weekends with no PT are especially hard since that means more tightness and less social interaction and the days in general are longer and emptier- I honestly think doing this with someone around to support you/help out just a bit would be twice as easy.

Moubgf

« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »

Don't get me wrong, usually do that. When I'm hanging out with my LL buds I just joke about how crazy/crippled we are. Its really when I'm alone and can't focus on anything but the discomfort that things are bad(which is also when I write these). Weekends with no PT are especially hard since that means more tightness and less social interaction and the days in general are longer and emptier- I honestly think doing this with someone around to support you/help out just a bit would be twice as easy.

Either the glass is half full or half empty. Why dont you look into information online so you can get smarter and eventually find your true self. Not your psudo self  (ego) that i think you have now. Now is the time to harvest information. Or some music. Get to know your creative side.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »

That all sounds really familiar to me, programdude.  Joking with your buddies about how crazy you all are, having a difficult time focusing on anything because of the discomfort, getting mentally and emotionally drained about being helpless... all part of the LL experience.  Which WILL END, mind you, and results in your being taller! :)

programdude

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »

Either the glass is half full or half empty. Why dont you look into information online so you can get smarter and eventually find your true self. Not your psudo self  (ego) that i think you have now. Now is the time to harvest information. Or some music. Get to know your creative side.
Easy there lol. The pain is too constant to focus on anything and absorb it. I have zero complaints about the bursts of pain during PT/certain movements- its the constant distracting pain thats the problem. I'm actually very in touch with my creative side, given that one of my passions is writing. I think you are making too many assumptions about me.

Once I'm halfway through this it'll be half full but until then its 1/3rd full.

MDOW- Thanks for that. I appreciate the support and the reminder from someone who's been through this all before. Certainly a reminder that theres a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think my mood will improve a lot once I see my next X-rays if everything is good, because then it'll be past the 1/3rd and towards the 1/2- and thats assuming I'm lengthening to 8 cm which I very well may not do.

Moubgf

« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »

Easy there lol. The pain is too constant to focus on anything and absorb it. I have zero complaints about the bursts of pain during PT/certain movements- its the constant distracting pain thats the problem. I'm actually very in touch with my creative side, given that one of my passions is writing. I think you are making too many assumptions about me.

Once I'm halfway through this it'll be half full but until then its 1/3rd full.

MDOW- Thanks for that. I appreciate the support and the reminder from someone who's been through this all before. Certainly a reminder that theres a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think my mood will improve a lot once I see my next X-rays if everything is good, because then it'll be past the 1/3rd and towards the 1/2- and thats assuming I'm lengthening to 8 cm which I very well may not do.

Great man, aslong as you keep fighting and stay positive.

How come you don't think you will hit the 8 cm mark?

programdude

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »

Well theres quite a few reasons.

First of all- if I am one of the cases where things get harder towards the end, my body may physically not allow 8 cm due to tightness etc. Although I will say that Paley and his team sort of misled me, saying no one had ever not achieved 8 cm who wanted it, but then after surgery the PA was basically saying how if I develop issues keeping my legs straight etc that they would need to stop lengthening me.

A theoretical reason is the nail stopping to work, which happened for another LL'er at 7 CM.

Then theres proportions, which I might find to get a bit off, although its hard to tell when not filled in by muscle.

Lastly theres the fact I want to recover in a reasonable time frame and get back to my life- I'm already sick of this lifestyle/the pain/limitations etc. and there are also people who depend on me to an extent back home, and I'll have been away from being full time with my business/focused for awhile and really will need to get back to that.

Who knows, maybe there will be no more setbacks, things will improve, and at the last ten days I'll decide to keep going, but currently I'm certainly open to stopping at 7 or so.

programdude

« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »

Aug 19th-
Two days in a row PT has been brutal. Again, this pain I don't mind and I prefer infinitely to the dull aches(and the more I push myself in PT the less of those aches I get). My IT bands are TIGHT and painful. Random motions can send an insane stabbing pain through the whole band. During a stretch where my legs are elevated, if the PT I was working with dropped the leg whatsoever without significant support, a pain significant enough that I'd have to stifle a yell would shoot through it- and I have a pretty good tolerance for pain. While the pain doesn't get to me, I could certainly see someone with a lower tolerance finding it unbearable.

There is a chance due to this tightness that I will have to slow down my lengthening based off what my PT said, so hopefully things seriously loosen up since I would like to stay on the steady path to my goal. The good news is he noted that progress had been made between monday and today, which could mean by the weekend I'll be in a better spot, though the problem is then theres two days in a row with no professional PT, and my X rays are gonna be on the monday right after, so they'll be seeing me at my tightest.

programdude

« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »

Aug 22nd-
Alright! Today marks one month post op 3 CM's for your viewing pleasure. They said my X- Rays look great and that bone growth is very solid. I am exactly as lengthened as I should be, not counting the 2 mm discrepancy on my left.

Really good to get this visual and hear two of them say I was doing amazing. In two weeks I'll be past the halfway mark, even if I go the full 8 CM, and will be getting an X ray and finally meeting with paley himself again.

GeTs

« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2014, 11:53:31 PM »

How old are u?

programdude

« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:46 PM »

SpiderProwler

« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »

Hi programdude I was wondering if you have any info about the people who did quadrilateral, like how they're doing?

I am thinking of doing quadrilateral with Paley, but it seems Sweatpants just disappeared and there's not much info available.

I'd like to do 10-11 cm. Do you know if Paley is really strict with the 10 cm limit, or would he allow 11-12 with quadrilateral?

programdude

« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »

I havent pursued information on quadrilateral since I've had no interest. I do know sweatpants had a complication but haven't followed her diary so don't know if its something she discussed or wants to discuss. No one I've actually seen is doing quadrilateral.

alps

« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »

Can you ask someone about SweatPants?

programdude

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »

I can give it a shot, sure.

programdude

« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2014, 11:17:29 PM »

So my insurance is asking for further details about the surgery pertaining to the nursing aids- asking for the surgery the cost etc. I'm assuming the best thing to do here is just not provide anything and pay out of pocket but any advice from someone better versed on these matters would be great.

Today was my first day not working with Mike in a week, and working with one of the female PT's again. The session was much less savage, but I take this as them thinking I've made enough progress to not need Mike every time- which is nice because a half massage session here and there is a welcome break.

programdude

« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »

A very nice family insisted on taking me shopping today since they overheard I was here alone. I got a bunch of zzzquill as it is essential to get adequate sleep. I also got some aleve which Paley wants me taking since my bone growth is TOO good. It will also help a bit with the pain.

Speaking of the pain- I was back with Mike today and got totally ruined again, legs turned to jello and barely able to get back to my hotel room. My muscle tightness is under control overall though so I'm glad to still be having sessions with him to keep it that way.

A good reflection of how I'm in a better place now than the first month here is that I've been crossing off days the day after, as opposed to the night of- which I just realized :P

On the subject of my friend from Hong Kong, unfortunately he has spoken to me this morning and felt very unhappy with the IT band quote, and told me he would see if he could get 5 CM and stop there. I feel bad for him, though he is very successful from the sounds of it, and is pleased to be seeing his family soon, and is considering tibias in a few months.

programdude

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »

Long weekend so it'll be three days with no PT at the clinic which isn't great. Good news is that Mike, who is brutally honest says only my ITB is really being tricky and everything else is progressing, especially my strength. The pool has helped me a lot I'd say.

The bad news is for a few days I've been sick and its certainly not helping the experience. Trying to eat well and sleep a lot to try and power past it. I'm at least thankful that its happening now and not during the first month.

programdude

« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »

Sept 3rd- Met short kid and was treated out to a great lunch which was a nice break from the monotony of all this. Also got a break from being ruined by Mike and got one of the girls(albeit the toughest one but she's very good) which was a welcome reprieve. The last time I worked with her was 3 or 4 weeks ago and she noticed the height increase right away.

Sleep continues to be the biggest problem here, tonight I was doing ok until my left knee woke me up and has kept me up, so much so I actually used one of the oxycodone for the first time in nearly a month.

My leg strength is improving significantly which is great, and my tightness is under control, with the ITB being the only real thing to work on.

Previously I shared the book that I thought was good for LL'ers to check out before, but I also wanted to share this quote from my favorite movie, which sort of sums up why I took this massive leap of faith in my life:

"Someday my dream will come? One night you’ll wake up and you’ll discover it never happened. It’s all turned around on you. It never will. Suddenly you are old. Didn’t happen. And it never will because you were never going to do it anyway. You’ll push into memory, then zone out in your Barcalounger, being hypnotized by daytime TV for the rest of your life."

Just some food for thought for those who are thinking about the surgery. My next X-Rays are monday which will also be with Paley himself, finally. I eagerly await it, though I am sure everything is working fine due to the tightness and discomfort, and the fact my knees are starting to look pretty distant.

Plzen

« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »

I continue to wish you good luck, I hope your sleep will get better.
I was away for awhile, so I missed some of the conversation. What do you mean about your friend (from Hong Kong) being sad about IT band quote?

programdude

« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »

Since it was 25k not 5k.

My sleep has totally deteriorated. I've slept 2 hours in the past 48. Mike took some mercy on me seeing my state, but I need some real sleep.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21   Go Up