Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley  (Read 240303 times)

Fnamna

• Visitor
Re: Installing height- Programdude's Precice 2 Internal femurs with Dr. Paley
« Reply #558 on: October 29, 2016, 01:31:37 AM »

Pain today is under control so far, though I have yet needed to stand which is always the brutal part. Richard and I will get too that after I get some IV pain relief.

In some post on one of these sites, someone was talking about receiving no aftercare from Paley which simply isn't true. I emailed him about my hurt tibia and despite being out of the country he immediately emailed me back saying he was sending his primary PA up who investigated thoroughly and positioned my leg better than the nurses. Turns out that my operation was abnormally long due to having extremely hard bones and he believe at some point in the surgery someone had my leg pressed against something which caused pressure damage. Sucks, since it actually hurts as much as my straight up broken femurs, if not a bit more for some reason but after reviewing the picture his PA sent him he said it should recover shortly. Again this is proof that even with the best things can go wrong, fortunately this seems to be minor in the grand scheme of things.

Insurance is definitively paying for all but potentially one of my medications, which is still pending but I am really happy about. Be sure to talk to your planner about this, she is very proactive about getting things done the best and cheapest way for you. If your insurance isn't good be SURE to calculate these costs into your budget, they can be substantial.

Even though it will be expensive, from noon tomorrow until sunday night I will have a home aid the whole time. Not taking chances and need to evaluate just how messed up I'll be from the tibia issue but hope to drastically drop the number of hours needed and replace them with my less professional but welcome company before too long.

The bad news for me is that this is what is that tibia injury is making standing really really hard, since basically one of my tibias is in the same condition as the femurs, the good news for all of you is that this probably won't happen unless an accident occurs during your surgery which isn't likely since the PA made it sound like my bones were very uncommonly tough and they had never seen it happen before. In other words your experience standing should be less painful.

Tony came up today and we did a full 1mm lengthening in one sitting. No pain at all and the device couldn't be easier to use. In the future this will be broken up into four sessions- However these need to be done before midnight without fail.

In retrospect about yesterday, now that I am less drugged and not in a pain induced daze, the main things to take away to enhance your experience is to:
1. Be sure you are heavily medicated by the time the epidural has worn off.
2. Ask for assistance with going to the bathroom well in advance, not much is worse than being in severe pain on the verge of exploding in your wheelchair while knowing you need to fight against your legs to sit in an uncomfortable chair that is probably poorly adjusted which will leave your legs painfully high. Seriously don't do this to yourself.
3. Ask about IV medication asap, this made me go from literally shaking and heaving from pain to able to sleep comfortably. The nurses may not recommend it so ask yourself. I was very poorly allowed to take only one percocet after the epi, where the more logical management would have saved me lots of agony and enabled me to begin lengthening yesterday.
4. Similar to point 2, be sure to ask for medication as needed. The timing is just a recommendation as nurses will note, their job is to stay ahead of the pain and not chase it. The first nurses I had didn't give me this impression but the later ones have been very explicit about this.
5. Ask for your PT(in my case richard) to help you move. My desperate move onto the commode for the first time was urgent so I had no time to ask for richard and she was not much of a help at all. The nurses dont always have a gauge on how ridiculous a request of theirs is, so when she wanted me to move from the commode to the bed I asked for Richard who hoisted me up with a rope. Later when Richard wasn't around for trip number 2 the nurse wanted me to stand but I told her to bring in another nurse which made the process a lot easier.
6. The nurses may try and give you stool softener after your first movement. I highly advise against this and (most) of the nurses will agree because after you get it out the first time, you do not want to have diarrhea or even regular bowel movements. Using the commode even twice a day will wear on you- even sitting on the commode when you're already there gets extremely painful after awhile however some nurses won't take this into consideration, or realize you had a movement, or will ask you, and if you are drugged you may lightheadedly accept assuming its good since a nurse is offering. Fortunately I thought better of this despite my mind set.
7. To summarize, the nurses really don't always know best and sometimes you do need to instruct them as per your needs, which can be hard when you aren't feeling so hot, but be wiling to abuse the call button when the going gets rough.

Hopefully these posts are helping inform some of you guys considering, or heading into LL.

hey man
what did you insurance covered?
also im lost with your point #6, can you please explain in other words?
5.6 and cant wait to chage

Fnamna

• Visitor
« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2016, 02:56:40 AM »

hey man
what did you insurance covered?
also im lost with your point #6, can you please explain in other words?

never mind, i just came across the next post and (insurance covered all meds)

Fnamna

• Visitor
« Reply #560 on: October 29, 2016, 03:02:15 AM »

Percocet might do the trick out of the hospital but NOT in any way shape or form after the epi is out. It was honestly irresponsible of her to give me so little. I told the anesthesiologist about it and his eyes bugged out of his head. The shock from going from epi to nothing is downright insane. I've never had so little control over my vocalizations. Now however I am pretty good even on minimal medication. I recommend keeping your feet moving to keep circulation going and to stretch and bend your knees often. It hurts but gets easier. The day after the epi comes out, a challenge I did was to rotate and get my legs over the side of the bed by myself(this is much harder than it sounds pre op my friend) and grab the bar above you and stand as straight as possible. I did that a few times and have been stretching my legs as much as possible. I honestly am really bummed out about the tibia since it is really the main thing holding me back right now and I think I would barely need help in a couple days without that limitation. I was however very pleased with Dr. Paleys prompt concern and that he treated it as a serious potentially grave issue in his response(within five minutes of reading my email his top PA was in the room). Its funny, at least three people here have likened him to jesus.

As far as the girls, honestly just sign up to some dating sites or tinder. I am shocked at how many are lining up to either visit or live in/take care of me lol. Getting a little something something(even though my performance will be at an all time rock bottom) will be very nice.  Heck even just having a few different ones to cuddle up with and keep the romantic game somewhat alive is more than welcome.

Debi with United Nursing Services came by and made me feel very good about the whole home aid process, giving me her personal cell number if I need anything. Heck she even offered me a complimentary dinner date over sushi when I am feeling a bit better. I'll be sure to let everyone knows how this part goes.

As of now my pain meds are basically not in my system and I actually don't feel awful, even during my standing exercises which yesterday would have had me screaming and passing out. I will be taking basic percocets and seeing if that can sustain me for today. If so I am in very good shape for my discharge tomorrow. Regardless I know the worst has passed, and once my tibia is healed I will be eagerly forcing myself to be mobile.

You will feel like stiff hell, but force yourself to move and you will be thankful for it guys.

A guy in other post mentioned that he was still hooked up to the epidural for several days after the surgery so he couldn't feel he's legs at all, from your postings i think that wasn't the case with your surgery, any idea why?

programdude

« Reply #561 on: November 25, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »

My epidural was in for a few days. Once it was removed was when things got brutal.

By point number 6, what I mean is they will give you a medication called stool softener if you want it, which makes you need to go to the bathroom to try and help you go once the epidural is out and youre ready to go. This is a bad idea, because in the first days going to the bathroom is HORRIBLE, both difficult and painful, and the softener will make it easy to go, but then might make you go more after the first.

As a general note, I am still around, but as so many others, as my recovery continues I am less active on the forums. I still care about helping people through the process, so dont hesitate to post questions in the thread or PM me. I think its best to ask what you can here, because that way it is a resource for others who may have the same questions.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

EndGame

« Reply #562 on: November 26, 2016, 01:10:18 AM »

In terms of recovering, it's been quite a long time now even considering the fracture. I was wondering if you've made a full recovery yet. Hope so :)! If not, what's still wrong or bothering you?

programdude

« Reply #563 on: November 26, 2016, 03:30:41 AM »

I still wouldnt say full at all. But thats mainly with running, and a lot of that is because of how the hardware in my leg feels. Once its removed we will see where things are. However, in terms of walking and hiking etc. I am totally comfortable and efficient.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

The Kaiser

« Reply #564 on: November 26, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »

I still wouldnt say full at all. But thats mainly with running, and a lot of that is because of how the hardware in my leg feels. Once its removed we will see where things are. However, in terms of walking and hiking etc. I am totally comfortable and efficient.

what about walking and enjoying life? can people notice something unusual?

sandman51

• Visitor
« Reply #565 on: November 26, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »

Hey PD, i've just went through your entire diary.. I have a question for you: do you think that if you had lengthened "only" 5.5 - 6cm you would have gotten far less complications?

programdude

« Reply #566 on: November 27, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »

what about walking and enjoying life? can people notice something unusual?
No one notices anything. My walking is normal, hiking, and doing leg exercises all normal. Jogging looks fairly normal albeit the hardrware doesnt let me go long. My scars are mild, even after sex no one ever notices except for very consistent long term partners. People I havent seen in awhile comment on my height, but no one has commented on the leg length, other than one partner contorting into an outrageous sexual position. For everything other than activities I didnt even really do pre LL(jogging/running/sports), I am fine.

I think 5-6 would have cut the recovery down by at least half and avoided any complication. However personally I dont think it would have been worth it all just for that.

The Kaiser

« Reply #567 on: November 27, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »

No one notices anything. My walking is normal, hiking, and doing leg exercises all normal. Jogging looks fairly normal albeit the hardrware doesnt let me go long. My scars are mild, even after sxx no one ever notices except for very consistent long term partners. People I havent seen in awhile comment on my height, but no one has commented on the leg length, other than one partner contorting into an outrageous sxxual position. For everything other than activities I didnt even really do pre LL(jogging/running/sports), I am fine.

I think 5-6 would have cut the recovery down by at least half and avoided any complication. However personally I dont think it would have been worth it all just for that.

its great news, so we know you had some difficult couple months or more, but when did you start walking normaly after surgery?

programdude

« Reply #568 on: November 28, 2016, 06:06:23 AM »

People have asked that, but I really cant remember. It is such a slow ease into it. I cant remember a specific moment. For a bit, throughout the day I would feel it, then not, then feel it then not, and eventually that phase just ended. I can say it took me forever though.

The Kaiser

« Reply #569 on: November 29, 2016, 02:49:23 AM »

I mean it took you more than 8 months?

Anyways you had a green light to enjoy your height, be proud of yourself, you had balls to go through this gambling surgery  ;)

programdude

« Reply #570 on: December 04, 2016, 02:02:38 AM »

It has been worth it, despite the immense physical time and monetary costs. However there are some who would have been devastated/ruined by the insane down time, so as I always say prepared for the absolute worst.

EndGame

« Reply #571 on: December 04, 2016, 03:50:19 AM »

A lot of Paley femur patients when you were there. You mentioned several consolidated faster than you and were walking soon after that right? Do you know anyone who actually was back to sports, not just jogging a few miles, but like playing soccer or skiing after only 6-8 months? That would be nice and it's a goal of mine, but one I'm starting to think is only for a lucky few despite my rehab being off to a good start in most ways.

programdude

« Reply #572 on: December 21, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »

The ones I'm aware of who play some level of sports(not professional), only did 6 or so CM. Thats not to say it isnt possible with more, just that those are the people I know who played sports.

onemorefoot

« Reply #573 on: December 21, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »

At the beginning you said that you were almost 5 8", exactly were you 172 cm( some mm less than 5 8")?
A little doubt
Budget will determine my future.

programdude

« Reply #574 on: December 22, 2016, 05:43:58 AM »

Measurements varied beforehand. Some said 5 8, others said slightly below. So my exact starting isnt known. but it was 5 8 tops

Iamready

« Reply #575 on: December 22, 2016, 06:12:22 AM »

A lot of Paley femur patients when you were there. You mentioned several consolidated faster than you and were walking soon after that right? Do you know anyone who actually was back to sports, not just jogging a few miles, but like playing soccer or skiing after only 6-8 months? That would be nice and it's a goal of mine, but one I'm starting to think is only for a lucky few despite my rehab being off to a good start in most ways.

If that's honestly your goal, you better be stretching 30min - 1 hr a day and that doesn't include leg work outs. 

programdude

« Reply #576 on: January 20, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »

If that's honestly your goal, you better be stretching 30min - 1 hr a day and that doesn't include leg work outs.
True that

EndGame

« Reply #577 on: January 22, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »

True that

It's been a long time since your LL. Do you still find you need to stretch daily?

programdude

« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

Theres some tightness in my right leg in particular sometimes, but I havent felt that need for a longgggg time. I could go weeks without stretching if I really wanted to without any real issues.

The Kaiser

« Reply #579 on: January 27, 2017, 12:26:42 AM »

Theres some tightness in my right leg in particular sometimes, but I havent felt that need for a longgggg time. I could go weeks without stretching if I really wanted to without any real issues.

1- whats the real cause of fracture you had? it suppose to be fully consolidate and Paley gave you green light right?

2- Do you think the accident is the reason you're not fully recovered yet?

3- should you stretch for ever after fully recovered? or you can stop it like a normal person again?

programdude

« Reply #580 on: February 02, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »

Hard to say about the cause. No one really knows since it happened very long after the rod removal. Just really bad luck of somehow a small fracture forming and growing huge. Yes it is probably a contributor to why I am not fully recovered but even if it didnt happen I dont think I'd be running at full capacity. The rest is fine but LL affects running quite a bit in my opinion/case when you do this much.

You should keep stretching I would say, but in my case I dont have to. Like I said I can go weeks without being any worse off. I still do it out of habit pretty often but there are gaps where it falls out of my mind because I feel normal.

Eyeswideshut

• Visitor

Hi programdude,
I read all your diary, thanks for the huge contribute to the community.

Since I'm about the same height as you were prior to surgery (174 cm), and my goal height is the same you obtained, I have a specific question for you:

How did your "social perception" change with your new height?

I mean, do you think people treat you differently because of your new height? I'm talking about everything, from women to peers, coworkers, strangers, friends..

I saw you've already written something about women, but I'd be grateful if you could expand a bit more on all this.

Thanks, cheers.

DoingItForMe

Yes it is probably a contributor to why I am not fully recovered but even if it didnt happen I dont think I'd be running at full capacity. The rest is fine but LL affects running quite a bit in my opinion/case when you do this much.
I didn't fracture my leg again and I'm not running at full capacity, too. So you're probably right.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

programdude

Hi programdude,
I read all your diary, thanks for the huge contribute to the community.

Since I'm about the same height as you were prior to surgery (174 cm), and my goal height is the same you obtained, I have a specific question for you:

How did your "social perception" change with your new height?

I mean, do you think people treat you differently because of your new height? I'm talking about everything, from women to peers, coworkers, strangers, friends..

I saw you've already written something about women, but I'd be grateful if you could expand a bit more on all this.

Thanks, cheers.

Been awhile but I haven't forgot my brothers on this journey.

As I have mentioned before I always have some hesitation laying out the benefits in society from the operation because I know that comments like that can enforce someones dysphoria. But I can definitely say there is a change- People will use comments like "carry myself well" and various things that they previously wouldn't have. People generally regard me with more gravity and as being intimidating. Women definitely note and like it referring to me as generally "big", saying they feel safe, and overtly commenting on height. It is very distinct, though a part of it could be attributed to the confidence of being a certain stature as well.

TIBIKE200

Been awhile but I haven't forgot my brothers on this journey.

As I have mentioned before I always have some hesitation laying out the benefits in society from the operation because I know that comments like that can enforce someones dysphoria. But I can definitely say there is a change- People will use comments like "carry myself well" and various things that they previously wouldn't have. People generally regard me with more gravity and as being intimidating. Women definitely note and like it referring to me as generally "big", saying they feel safe, and overtly commenting on height. It is very distinct, though a part of it could be attributed to the confidence of being a certain stature as well.

I get the carry myself well a lot as well. Also the "big" comments (But I attribute it to having a large framed torso).

Surely these comments come from the fact that you don't feel insecure about your height anymore.

About the fact that girls like your height, it's because of the height hihi
I learned some stuff during this time

LLSouthAmerica

I get the carry myself well a lot as well. Also the "big" comments (But I attribute it to having a large framed torso).

Surely these comments come from the fact that you don't feel insecure about your height anymore.

TIBIKE, how tall are you now and how much did you lengthen? what technique did you use?
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

programdude

its definitely two pronged. It is hard to compare since I had a robust sex life pre op. In my case its less about receptiveness and more about the comments but I'd be curious to hear other perspectives.

programdude

« Reply #587 on: October 01, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »

Been awhile since posting here. Just wanted to say I am doing well, I do still definitely get discomfort from the rod from the fracture, but thats unrelated to LL pain aside from the fact the LL caused it, obviously. In other words when I get the rod removed I will be 100% for all non intensive activities. Running time will tell but I suspect that will be pretty good without the discomfort from the rod.

I will say it is crazy to reflect on the whole process now, from very healthy before the surgery, to unbelievably crippled for so long, to great condition to the fracture, to where I am now. If taking the rod out has no complications I can say its been a long and wild but worthwhile venture. Aside from the day of and after long walks, I no longer even think of LL, which is where I think a lot of people want to ultimately be on these forums, and why so many eventually vanish after recovery. I can say confidently however I'll never totally forget this community, even if the spans between checkins grow longer.

I get lots of messages but posting in this thread is really the best way for me to reply and will also give info to other people.

InferiorityComplex

« Reply #588 on: October 03, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »

I wanted to say thank you for this forum post it has helped me tremendously. I am probably the same height as you now and around 5.5 cm lengthening, i will definitely try to stop at 6 or 6.5. Not sure if going for the 8 cm is worth the extra downtime and risk of complications...but i definitely understand the take on the risk/reward ratio pre op. Glad to see you're doing better, no doubt you'll be 100%.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up