Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs in Athens with Giotikas mid Jan 23  (Read 7071 times)

oldiebuttbaddie

Re: Femurs in Athens with Giotikas mid Jan 23
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2023, 03:58:51 PM »

Hello all,

I had the surgery two days ago 19 January.
 I woke up to no pain and that has basically stayed the same or maybe increased slightly until now.  My legs do feel like they're just kind of dead weigh hanging off my body.  Dr. G, and the nurse both showed me how to click, and there was no problem clicking.  I've had a bunch of accidental clicks, but they said those will go away after the first week.  I like using the walker because it's the only time I'm not laid up in bed. 

IceTrae38

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2023, 04:46:11 PM »

Hello all,

I woke up to no pain and that has basically stayed the same or maybe increased slightly until now.  My legs do feel like they're just kind of dead weigh hanging off my body.  Dr. G, and the nurse both showed me how to click, and there was no problem clicking.  I've had a bunch of accidental clicks, but they said those will go away after the first week.  I like using the walker because it's the only time I'm not laid up in bed. 

Congrats on the successful surgery! I also had surgery with Dr G a few weeks ago. If you’d like to get together with a few of us, let me know. Cheers!

SpeedDialer

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2023, 06:06:28 PM »

Congrats!

thankscience

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2023, 11:32:52 PM »

Hello all,

Good job. Did you vomit or feel nauseous after you woke up?

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2023, 12:49:20 AM »

Not at all.

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2023, 12:50:40 AM »

Congrats on the successful surgery! I also had surgery with Dr G a few weeks ago. If you’d like to get together with a few of us, let me know. Cheers!

Sure.  I'm getting out of the hospital in a few hours.  Can't wait.

eztic123

• Visitor
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2023, 05:53:34 AM »

Was PT included in the price of surgery? Also, how much is the Hyatt hotel vs Montana?

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2023, 07:02:08 PM »

Pt is included.  Hyatt is around 95 Euro.  Montaza is around 55 Euro.

Mini0510

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2023, 08:42:42 AM »

Pt is included.  Hyatt is around 95 Euro.  Montaza is around 55 Euro.

Did you get a quiet room in Montana? There are nurses often there if you need a little help?

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2023, 06:16:25 AM »

Did you get a quiet room in Montana? There are nurses often there if you need a little help?

I stayed at Montaza for 2 night prior to surgery.  I fell asleep to the soundtrack of loud and prolonged sex.   I knew I wasn't going to be gettin any for quite a while, so kind of enjoyed listening to it but definitely wouldn't call it quiet.  I'm staying at Hyatt now.  It is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.  If you're trying to save money I'd recommend an Airbnb over Montaza.  Nurses come by the hotels, but I didn't really need them.  I think the nurses would come by your Airbnb depending on where your nurses are . 

Mini0510

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2023, 08:18:57 AM »

I stayed at Montaza for 2 night prior to surgery.  I fell asleep to the soundtrack of loud and prolonged sxx.   I knew I wasn't going to be gettin any for quite a while, so kind of enjoyed listening to it but definitely wouldn't call it quiet.  I'm staying at Hyatt now.  It is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.  If you're trying to save money I'd recommend an Airbnb over Montaza.  Nurses come by the hotels, but I didn't really need them.  I think the nurses would come by your Airbnb depending on where your nurses are .

What's the price difference for you stay at these two hotels? Did you manage to get a deal for stayed longer?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2023, 01:45:35 PM »

I stayed at Montaza for 2 night prior to surgery.  I fell asleep to the soundtrack of loud and prolonged sxx.   I knew I wasn't going to be gettin any for quite a while, so kind of enjoyed listening to it but definitely wouldn't call it quiet.  I'm staying at Hyatt now.  It is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.  If you're trying to save money I'd recommend an Airbnb over Montaza.  Nurses come by the hotels, but I didn't really need them.  I think the nurses would come by your Airbnb depending on where your nurses are .

100%

sy1555

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2023, 08:56:53 PM »

Do you think aribnb is also a better option for precice patients? Does staying at aribnb cost money per day to pay for a caregiver?

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2023, 10:36:15 AM »

hey hope all is going well

Did you get an ITB band release?
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2023, 10:55:19 AM »

Do you think aribnb is also a better option for precice patients? Does staying at aribnb cost money per day to pay for a caregiver?

Not the best one to answer this because I have G-nail, but I imagine if you're a precise patient on your own, you'd want to spend a little more time choosing your airbnb and may even want to visit it before choosing.  I don't know whether you need a caregiver, but if you do, you'd probably just be better off in a hotel.  One thing to think about is that this surgery is going to cost a significant sum.  If where you stay is important to you or if worrying about it is going to stress you out, do yourself a favor and choose the more expensive option.  It can't be that much more relative to how much you're paying for the surgery, and it might make your recovery easier.  If you need to justify the additional expense, the dollar has increased a couple percent in the last few days which should save you about $1k.

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2023, 10:56:12 AM »

hey hope all is going well

Did you get an ITB band release?

Dr. G does this automatically. It wasn't even discussed. 

lucindaris

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2023, 02:08:22 PM »

Is G-Nail weight-bearing?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2023, 02:55:13 PM »

Is G-Nail weight-bearing?

Yes. And so we got to use crutches relatively quickly in the weeks after the surgery

eztic123

• Visitor
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2023, 10:31:10 PM »

Can you give us an update please?

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2023, 12:32:03 PM »

Can you give us an update please?

Hi all,

While this forum can be quite toxic, I also found it to be a valuable resource in a space where information is severely lacking so I feel like it's my duty to contribute.  Please note--one thing I found that people tend to do is generalize based on anectodal evidence, Unfortunately, there is not a lot of scientific research on limb lengthening so these anectodal diaries become important data points.  But understand that they're just that--data points. 
This surgery not only creates a tremendous amount of trauma to your body, but re-traumautizes your body each time you lengthen.  This can create a domino effect so you have many things going on with your body. Some things tend to be more universal, but not everybody's body reacts the same way.  Feel free to ask any questions, but please be kind and humble to each other. 

Anyway-here's a recap so far.

Day 0--Surgery day, January 19th (bi-lateral femurs surgery using g-nail with Dr. Giotikas in Athens)
Woke up from surgery feeling relatively OK and pain free, although my legs felt like they were just sandbags attached to my body.  I walked (or hopped) about 100 feet on the walker with no problem. 
Stayed in the hospital for three nights. Stay was fine.  Had the room to myself with great nurses attending to me regularly but trying their best to let me sleep.  Hospital itself was somewhat rundown, and I wouldn't trust the doctors there other than Dr. G.

First week after surgery-
Settled into the Hyatt and was able to walk around with walker when needed.
I did not feel pain regularly during the day, however, my legs continued to feel like sandbags attached to my body that I could move up and down but had no control over when they moved to the side.  If they started to move to the side, I would not be able to overcome the inertia, and this would be excruciatingly painful. 
At night, I would wake up every half hour and have to pee five or six times per night (I found out this was caused by the swelling, but I still don't understand why the urge to pee often only came at night).
Hyatt staff are are particularly friendly, and it created a pleasant atmosphere in what was to be my home for the next 7 weeks. 

Second week after surgery--
I started PT and clicking. 
I found getting in and out of cabs incredibly stressful because often times doing so would cause my legs to veer off to the side causing incredible pain.  At PT they exclusively focus on stretching. They basically perform the same routine on all femur patients every day.  Aside from getting stretched, they administer electricity, ice, and a compression boot.  You also ride a bike and after two weeks are cleared to walk on an anti-gravity machine.  The PT sessions lasts about 2 to 2.5 hours, but I think that it could probably be accomplished in 45 minutes (30 for the stretching and 15 for the anti-gravity machine).  I question whether any of the other things they do are effective, especially weeks after your surgery.  Nonetheless, despite being way too crowded of a space, PT is generally a pleasant social atmosphere where you get a chance to chat with other patients and the PT staff. 

Clicking for me was incredibly easy.  I was able to do it on my own from the get go, and I could accomplish it in a minute or two.  However, the easy clicks has its drawbacks as I also had an inordinate amount of accidental clicks, especially on my left side. 
I had my first x-ray taken 11 days after surgery and it showed that I had lengthened 1.8 cm on my left side and 1.3 cm on my right side.

Third week--
I increased from 15 clicks per day to 21 clicks, as Dr. G has G-nail patients lengthen 1.5mm during the 3rd week.  Clicking  continued to be a breeze, but I started to get much tighter and PT got more painful. My sleep improved somewhat, as I would wake up every 2 hours instead of every half hour and no longer had the urge to pee repeatedly throughout the night.

Fourth week--
Began to experience nerve pain in my left calf that eventually became unbearable when i applied any type of weight on it.  It also was both numb and extra sensitive to touch.  At PT, they would put tremendous force into stretching me and that too caused unbearable pain to the point that I would be screaming during the PT sessions. 

Fifth week-
I took a couple days off clicking my left leg and the pain in my calf began to subside. 
I had my third x-ray 32 days after surgery.  I had lengthened 4.2 cm on my left leg and 3.8 on my right.  Considering I had not lengthened my left leg for a couple days and then reduced the clicks for another couple days, this meant I was averaging almost 1.5 mm on my left leg.  I believe this was an unforced error that caused me unnecessary pain and numbness that is is still there today.  My x-rays showed slow bone growth, and my flexibility left something to be desired so Dr. G. slowed me down to 7 clicks per day. 

Sixth week--
Reducing the number of clicks dramatically reduced the pain during the day to the point that I stopped taking the tramadol.  However, the day I stopped, I ended up feeling like complete dog  .  It didn't occur to me until quite late in the day that I was going through withdrawal.  Because I still want to take it at night and want the option to take it before PT or if I end up increasing clicks or just feel pain one day, I decided to continue to take 1.5 tramadols per day regularly, regardless of whether I feel pain.  I like my drugs just as much as the next guy, but don't like feeling like I'm a junkie.  Nonetheless, I will wait until this whole thing is over so I only have to go through withdrawal once.  I will tell you that aside from the physical signs of withdrawal, the tramadol made me much more emotional. 

Seventh week-
PT continued to be excruciatingly painful, but my flexibility improved somewhat, probably because I was only clicking at less than .5mm per day. 
I had my final X-ray in Athens which showed improved bone growth.  Dr. G upped me to 8 clicks per day. 

Eight week-
I returned home, and started PT here.  I go twice per week, and it is much more individualized. They focus both on strength and flexibility, however, while the stretches can be fairly uncomfortable for an extended period of time, they stop right before the point of pain.  My physical therapist said that research shows that stretching right up to the point of pain is more effective. 

Notes--I'm walking on crutches quite a bit and hope to walk unassisted shortly after I stop lengthening.  I'm not sure how realistic that is, but I'm able to put on muscle fairly quickly so hope I will be able to get my glutes back sooner rather than later.  I'm also considering taking BPC 157, TB 500, and possibly HGH to assist with recovery.  If anyone has any experience or advice about this, I'd very much appreciate it. 

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2023, 07:33:06 PM »

Update--So things haven't gone very smoothly over the past month.  About a month ago I found out I had a DVT and a bent nail on the same day.  While the DVT will hopefully go away and won't be an issue, the bent nail real negative impact on recovery.  Because the nail is compromised, I'm the doctor basically is treating it as I have a precise nail.  No walking normally on crutches until the bone consolidates.  Additionally, because the nail bent, my knee alignment is slightly screwed up.  Not exactly sure how bad it'll be, but it's definitely not going to be the smooth recovery I was hoping for. 

Limbfan2020

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2023, 08:49:37 PM »

Update--So things haven't gone very smoothly over the past month.  About a month ago I found out I had a DVT and a bent nail on the same day.  While the DVT will hopefully go away and won't be an issue, the bent nail real negative impact on recovery.  Because the nail is compromised, I'm the doctor basically is treating it as I have a precise nail.  No walking normally on crutches until the bone consolidates.  Additionally, because the nail bent, my knee alignment is slightly screwed up.  Not exactly sure how bad it'll be, but it's definitely not going to be the smooth recovery I was hoping for.

How did you notice the DVT? Are you still on Xarelto or have you stoppped taking it?

oldiebuttbaddie

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2023, 05:12:51 AM »

My leg was quite swollen, and someone told me to get it checked out. I had stopped taking xarelto 30 days after surgery but am back on it for 90 days. 

Hatch

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2023, 04:02:06 AM »

In what kind of situation the nail bent? Has it happened to other patients also?

Kanye Western

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2023, 06:56:29 AM »

My leg was quite swollen, and someone told me to get it checked out. I had stopped taking xarelto 30 days after surgery but am back on it for 90 days.

That is your problem right there. You’re literally not listening to your doctor!

p00293

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2023, 03:05:04 PM »

That is your problem right there. You’re literally not listening to your doctor!

In Greece they only advise 30 days of blood thinners post-surgery.

Bagga

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2023, 03:20:14 PM »

Yes, please go for ultra sound scan for any blood clot.
If no, it may be due to other issue and consult your local doctor to get immediate treatment.

thankscience

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »

In Greece they only advise 30 days of blood thinners post-surgery.
For weight-bearing nails only. Precise patients do the full lengthening period.

Kanye Western

« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2023, 03:50:41 PM »

That’s naive from Dr G then, I’m doing betzbone and using blood thinners for entire of lengthening and 1 month after.

p00293

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2023, 05:54:01 PM »

Yes but as OP did gnail the 30 day thing applies, so it's unfair to say he didn't listen to the doctor.

thankscience

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2023, 09:42:09 PM »

It's difficult to say what would've contributed to the DVT. The doctor also prescribes blood thinners for 3 days when taking flights. OP was on a long flight which as we know is a major risk factor in developing blood clots, despite taking blood thinners.

I believe there are several other doctors like Guichet and some American ones who don't prescribe blood thinners after a few weeks for weight-bearing nails. They have to weigh up the cost-benefit ratio such as risk of internal bleeding amongst other things. The science is not absolute.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up