Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Betzbone Diary - Jan 2023  (Read 4762 times)

SpeedDialer

Re: Betzbone Diary - Jan 2023
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2023, 12:22:41 AM »

Thanks for answering questions :)

End of 2nd day post operation
-Pain is the same, not better or worse
-Overall laying down I feel good
-Circulation is a problem I almost fainted yesterday trying to take steps on crutches
-I feel so much energy being used and close to black out standing up feeling yesterday
-Right now just laying in bed doing those exercises each hour except when sleeping
-The compression pants being on correct now I hope can help
-Hope to get the hand IV out soon it’s not painful but quite annoying to be stuck on

What's your advice to be comfortable after surgery in the hospital?

Betzbone

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2023, 04:12:46 AM »

What's your advice to be comfortable after surgery in the hospital?

-Have a chair next to you where you put your bag on your can easily reach
-Have long charger for your device
-You can brush your teeth in bed I asked day 2 for cup and the container to spit
-Have you pee bucket within arms reach
-Hospital has adjustable bed which is nice
-Set alarm for the meds they leave in your room so you don’t miss a dose

Betzbone

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2023, 09:46:08 AM »

3 days post operation

-had breakfest
-washed up a bit in bed with pan
-in bed doing circulation exercise hourly during waking hours
-i attempted a few times to stand and sit feels a little bit easier then yesterday
-pain level same since day 1
-when you sleep and wake you have to exercise a little bit to get rid of stiffness
-sleep is same in pockets of time, sleep chill relax repeat. I’m avoiding sleep during the day so I can be more tired at night
-gonna check circulation later and hopefully remove that hand iv
-with all the constant meds the effect I feel still kinda in a chill vibe and time goes by fast. Other than this all seems ok.

-Got good advice from my friend go with the flow and take meds. Dr. Becker says just follow his call along the journey and don’t deviate from the plan. Tonya told me yesterday just had major surgery, need to go slow, relax, and heal. When you’re on meds and feel good in bed feel like can stand up do anything but once you do you realize how much energy it really takes.

-I see messages regarding, doctors, nails, etc. I’ll try to address it all here. You should also remember. I’m a LL patient not a healthcare professional. Im not in a position to tell anyone what to do or recommend anything.

-In my opinion, with all the nails on the market. Betzbone I feel is the best weight bearing option. Dr, Becker and Dr. Betz together through years have had so many patients with amazing results. I met one just yesterday. I won’t speak on others journey for privacy. Their process continues to be improved and optimized as time goes on from what I can tell through my experience and reading old diaries.

-I am forever grateful and happy surgery was successful. The time it took for surgery and how I overall felt post operation shows how delicate and and perfectly the nail was installed. And speaks wonders for the entire surgery team.

-Things like your pre op health, age, the way your bones are shaped. These variables change every surgery but overall the goal is the same.

-There’s no such thing as 100% success rate or ability for anyone to predict the future. There’s many factors. But I will say the odds of success are in your favor most the time from what I learned. You will know once the surgery is done. All surgeries have risk associated you have to be willing to take.

-Example: Out of 10,000 surgeries. Let’s say 99% success, with 1% not being a success. This is why you can never expect 100% rate because a number of things can happen even if it’s just 1%. That small chance of it not being success scared me a lot so I understand.

-From that standpoint you can say after successfull surgery is 40% of the work is done the doctor did their part. Now 60% of the work is going to be up to the patient to take it to the finish line and recover best can. I notice sometimes people try to take shortcuts or not listen to doctor and do their own thing. This is when issues can arise. My advice keep pushing try your best.

Betzbone

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2023, 10:10:03 AM »

3 days post operation

-Circulation is improving
-Drinking water is good for it so drinking a lot
-Took a few steps and back with crutches
-Can use crutches only with supervision
-Next goal is improve stability walking with crutches
-Took hand IV off feels nice
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:50:24 AM by Betzbone »

Betzbone

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2023, 02:12:48 PM »

3 days post operation

-Rest of day should be the similar
-Hourly exercises for circulation
-Standing up and down everywhere holding table
-With hand Iv off comfort feels much much better. Hopefully sleep is better without having to worry about touching hand
-Pain remains same as previous days
-Tomorrow if I heard right they will increase pain meds? Idk
-Looking forward to walking around unassisted with crutches
-Right now a few steps with crutches does not feel stable yet

Betzbone

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2023, 04:07:36 PM »

3 days post operation

-After sitting with ice packs for a while. Then when retracting left leg felt like a sharp pain like a blockage on femur or something. Not sure what it is but exercising the leg a bit slowly relived it and able to retract ok, Was painful hope it doesn’t occur again
-Did a few more steps with nurse on crutch
-I’m trying to retrain myself just in general to be slower in everything

Betzbone

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2023, 05:50:23 PM »

3 days post operation

-had dinner
-everytime I exercise I have a fear that sharp pain is going come back so I go slower
-today used crutches twice only took few steps but the amount of energy it took was exhausting

Betzbone

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2023, 04:07:32 AM »

4 days post operation
-slept with like a blanket under my leg helped with stiffness
-woke up feeling just more agility strength in legs
-Stood up and sat down without much effort and easier then day prior
-Grabbed crutches and took few steps was able to do feeling more stability and able to lift foot
-2 days ago doing just the same thing in few step with crutches I almost passed out.
-1 day ago doing same thing took much more energy and left very unstable, while had to slide foot
-Pain is same since day 1 feels more comfortable today
-I’m hoping to keep getting more strength and stability

Betzbone

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2023, 08:50:33 AM »

4 days post operation

-Saw PT from few days ago and got taught how to correct use crutch and walked a bit
-The PT I’m supposed to see is sick? So not sure if he will come later
-Will switch oxy to tilidin
-Pain doesn’t get more than 2/10. Sitting and laying at times I might feel 1/10 or less pain. It’s not constant and so far doesn’t affect sleep.
-Sleep was just same pockets of time. Maybe the meds or stiff, or I think too much I don’t sleep straight
-I got coffee for breakfest each morning but didn’t drink all just smell and took tiny tiny sip
-Using crutches arms get tired a bit
-Overall feeling happy just chilling per usual

Betzbone

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2023, 09:24:11 AM »

Got some good questions might be helpful for others

How is the recovery?
-So far for me good.

Is it scary and depressing?
-Yes pre operation it’s scary depressing. Because of the unknown is scary,

Or it can happen smoothly and positively?
-Yes my surgery went smooth and so far has been a positive experience. Results may vary. This is just my experience.

Also- how is the pain when clicking?
-Only had accidental click I didn’t feel much, not official clicking yet.

Just trying to make a picture in my mind so as i know how to direct the decision.
does he promise full recovery and returning to the same athletism in the meaning of regular normal sports- as football, skiing and so on?
-7 posts prior to this I answered this. I’ll copy and paste here again

-Things like your pre op health, age, the way your bones are shaped. These variables change every surgery but overall the goal is the same.

-There’s no such thing as 100% success rate or ability for anyone to predict the future. There’s many factors. But I will say the odds of success are in your favor most the time from what I learned. You will know once the surgery is done. All surgeries have risk associated you have to be willing to take.

-Example: Out of 10,000 surgeries. Let’s say 99% success, with 1% not being a success. This is why you can never expect 100% rate because a number of things can happen even if it’s just 1%. That small chance of it not being success scared me a lot so I understand.

-From that standpoint you can say after successfull surgery is 40% of the work is done the doctor did their part. Now 60% of the work is going to be up to the patient to take it to the finish line and recover best can. I notice sometimes people try to take shortcuts or not listen to doctor and do their own thing. This is when issues can arise. My advice keep pushing try your best.

Betzbone

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »

4 days post operation

-Took compression pants off
-The compression socks are still on
-Tried walking feels more comfortable

Captain Bone

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2023, 10:18:31 AM »

Good luck on your journey

Betzbone

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2023, 10:48:02 AM »

Good luck on your journey

Thank you. Here is a video update I hope you find it helpful on your journey.

-Compression pants are off
-Walked more into hallway with Dr. Becker feel more comfortable
-Was advised to walk into hallway every 2 hours
-Pain when walking I could even say low as 1/10
-Walking takes much effort on upperbody
-Looked at incision sites pain is not bothersome.
-Planning to X-ray today and maybe get to shower

Betzbone

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »

4 days post operation
-had lunch
-walked to and used bathroom by myself for the first time
-constipation I hopes does not occur. I didn’t bring laxatives. Pre op I went like literally over 5 times that night. Idk
-more use crutches the more comfortable getting with it
-feeling calm and happy

boots2asses

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2023, 11:51:23 AM »

Just curious about what stretches you've done before surgery.

How you prepared physically for it?

Also, don't you think you will look uncanny if you are able to achieve 11,5cm as you are aiming for?

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2023, 11:56:21 AM »

4 days post operation

-Took compression pants off
-The compression socks are still on
-Tried walking feels more comfortable

Getting to take the compression socks off was honestly one of the best days of recovery.  Those things are itchy.

Btw thats really impressive being able to lift and move your legs to soon after surgery.  Any pain at all doing that?  I had a lot on my left side.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

Betzbone

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2023, 12:19:43 PM »

Just curious about what stretches you've done before surgery.

How you prepared physically for it?

Also, don't you think you will look uncanny if you are able to achieve 11,5cm as you are aiming for?
Here’s are the exercises I did in bed daily. Basically stretch until pain was what I did

https://ibb.co/SsPB48y
https://ibb.co/1XKMhcB
https://ibb.co/y0y9cF9

I also found some on YouTube though I don’t rember the video. I stretch by memory doing same stuff daily

Betzbone

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2023, 12:25:18 PM »

Getting to take the compression socks off was honestly one of the best days of recovery.  Those things are itchy.

Btw thats really impressive being able to lift and move your legs to soon after surgery.  Any pain at all doing that?  I had a lot on my left side.

Yes totally I’m so glad it’s off. I didn’t even know it was coming off today nurse just came in and said can take off

They were impressed im able to do that. I could that hours after surgery. Today it’s at a higher velocity. Pain today when I do that exercise is 0.5/10. When the do the retracting legs inwards barely 1/10. Incision sites are no bother at all for me. Dr Becker and team truly did delicate and amazing job with nail installation

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2023, 01:08:46 PM »

Yes totally I’m so glad it’s off. I didn’t even know it was coming off today nurse just came in and said can take off

They were impressed im able to do that. I could that hours after surgery. Today it’s at a higher velocity. Pain today when I do that exercise is 0.5/10. When the do the retracting legs inwards barely 1/10. Incision sites are no bother at all for me. Dr Becker and team truly did delicate and amazing job with nail installation

Thats a good sign, means youre strong.  I couldnt do that at all.  It also might mean you have very strong hip flexors which is good, but might be a battle as you lengthen because they will be tight and strong.  This might be an area you really need to work at but I'm speculating.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2023, 02:32:34 PM »

Thank you. Here is a video update I hope you find it helpful on your journey.

-Compression pants are off
-Walked more into hallway with Dr. Becker feel more comfortable
-Was advised to walk into hallway every 2 hours
-Pain when walking I could even say low as 1/10
-Walking takes much effort on upperbody
-Looked at incision sites pain is not bothersome.
-Planning to X-ray today and maybe get to shower

Please do not respond to the troll even when he posts something like that.  He's just trying to boost his post count.

Betzbone

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2023, 03:12:16 PM »

Thats a good sign, means youre strong.  I couldnt do that at all.  It also might mean you have very strong hip flexors which is good, but might be a battle as you lengthen because they will be tight and strong.  This might be an area you really need to work at but I'm speculating.

Wow thank you for insight. I might have to work on that later if they get too tight.

Betzbone

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2023, 03:17:45 PM »

4 days post operation
-Learned new walking technique and how to check if I accidentally clicked
-Being able to go bathroom alone is nice
-All the meds make you constipated or harder to go for sure

Betzbone

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2023, 07:15:46 AM »

5 days post operation

-slept from 9pm to 7am not straight woke up few times but better
-today will be last full day in hospital
-tomorrow will go to rehab hotel
-feeling more comfortable walking the more do it
-got assigned 2 new PT will see them as time progress
-pain is the same as previous days
-would say as of today my bathroom going pee poop is normal movements again
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 07:41:10 AM by Betzbone »

Betzbone

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »

5 days post operation

-I just realized my journal entry the days might be off by 1 day. I’ll just keep going with what I put.  Today is the 4th day post op. Idk you can do the math
-Every 2 hours I walk down the hall all the way and back then lay in bed every hour do exercises
-Walking I feel more stable and safer with more practice
-My lazy tendencies kick in but I force myself remember my goal is to length and heal as close to normal. Then I get motivation feeling again
-Will see PT in the afternoon
-At this point I feel this is the peak of the surgery pain. Max it got post op was 4/10, then few hours later 2/10 and was that level everyday since. At times laying in bed I can feel 1/10 pain or less
-I never imagined getting tibias after this but if I ever did I will come back to Dr. Becker 100%. The thought of doing tibias has crossed my mind till today.

Betzbone

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2023, 10:14:01 AM »

5 days post operation

-Walking from room to end of hall and back and use restroom takes about 20minutes
-Was able to walk without stopping as much
-As legs get more strength back your arms feel less tired and more force gets handled by legs
-Nurses here are awesome they see you walk down the hall and always so encouraging
-Hospital food today feels a bit tiring some of the same stuff over and over but overall tasty
-Since switching from oxy to tilidin I don’t notice an effect which is nice. Maybe less euphoria feeling from which is not bad
-Have a tiny spot maybe under .1cm on leg that is small infection. It feels painless to me. Said it was from me shaving before the surgery my legs. Overall it’s not bother at all. Just took antibiotic.

Betzbone

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »

5 days post operation

Today doing this pain is 0/10.
Feel more flexible and stronger in legs today
Moving to my side feels more comfortable

boots2asses

• Visitor
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2023, 10:48:45 AM »

5 days post operation

Today doing this pain is 0/10.
Feel more flexible and stronger in legs today
Moving to my side feels more comfortable

Oh wow. Looking good!

The fact that pain is non-existent is a very welcomed surprise.

Betzbone

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2023, 12:10:21 PM »

Oh wow. Looking good!

The fact that pain is non-existent is a very welcomed surprise.

-Very much a surprise the pain level so far. Keep in mind in on pain meds. Without the pain meds I imagine this is quite painful. I still do get quite stiff if I don’t move for long time or waking up

Betzbone

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2023, 12:11:29 PM »

5 days post operation
-Walked down the hall and back stopping twice. Took 6 minutes.

Betzbone

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »

5 days post operation
-Nurse ended shift won’t see them again came by to hug and say goodbye little bit sad
-Tomorrow will switch from stomach shot to xarelto
-Was told I will be leaving tomorrow morning to rehab hotel
-Getting closer to go home is nice, I need to change my flight as the one schedule has layover
-Opened my laptop first time today. Thinking capacity is clear if you had stuff to do or work you could probably do it normally

Betzbone

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2023, 06:14:18 PM »

5 days post operation
-Had PT walked down and upstairs. it was easy, could go down and back up without assistance. PT showed me once and I copied technique
-Showered
-Remove compression socks for a bit the put on brand new ones
-Did X-ray it’s downstairs the same building
-Met with Daniela, she showed me how to tell a click and it for my leg to fix my accidental one
-Surgical sites are sites are painless
-Walking is close to 0/10 pain
-Walking is tiresome on hands and you can’t move like you used to. Im scared of accidental click, falling , leg strength
-Tonight need to pack up everything
-PT will come tomorrow at 8am. My Taxi will come at 9am.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up