Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LL femurs with Guichet 2023  (Read 4461 times)

bocklecrt2

• Visitor
Re: LL femurs with Guichet 2023
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »

Hi, I'll post the X-rays when I receive them digitally.

Basically, Guichet says that patients that go through his protocol might fuse very fast. He mentioned one patient that did 7.5cm and his bones were fused in 1 month! In addition, if you forget a couple of clicks you will get a phone call from Guichet himself yelling at you that your bones could fuse and that could become a pricy surgery, and that you must click as fast as he tells you too (Guichet is following everything you do, eat, breath using a one-drive spreadsheet, where you must enter all the data to yourself every day).

If you don't eat enough calories - he will call you. If you don't train enough - he will call you, if you are late for the gym - his secratery will call yelling at you.

He really believes in his protocol, so I just decided to blindly confide with it. That made be basically have 0 personal time (no tv, not fun, no nothing). I just train, eat, click, train, eat, click, train, train, stretch...

wow that sounds incredible. by fused you mean fully consolidated in 1 month? 7.5 cm should take about 1 year to consolidate properly, this is beyond human capabilities on theory

ditto on the xrays, ive never seen a guichet xray before so im interested to see his recent work. you do know how unicorn got screwed right? she had a hairline fracture on the femur in the initial surgery on her right leg which was too much trauma for the bone to unite and then she started getting accidental clicks 20 times a day because there was no callus to provide some resistance and extended the entire nail on its own without union so yeah basically a horror story

1 - 2 hours per session in the gym includes bike, eliptical, and about 10 excercises and stretching routines, each with 50 reps.

2 - Guichet want's you to go maximum with the bike. So we are talking about at least 5  in the resistance (he will yell at you that you can do more and must increase so you will not lose you muscles).

3- naturally I am a side sleeper and never slept on my back (holding a girl besides me is usually the best when I have one :) ). Here, I am sleeping only on my back. If you train hard during the day until your eyes start to close on you - you will fall asleep this way.

4- side hurts because of the incisions, and also it is a big scary when you have a ratcheting nail because the leg could twist and this is something I am always afraid of.

5- I plan on going for 5cm because I just want to continue with my life and not walk around for months looking like a spider. I am not very short to begin with, that would take me to 181.5cm. I believe this is taller than Leonardo Dicaprio or Brad Pitt, and I don't think they suffer from height. So I think life is not just height and want to go back to focus on other things. I don't see investing an additional full month just for clicking to get to 6cm (more risk, more time off work, possible complications, harder recovery).

4. arent the incisions supposed to be small and its been 10 days? please let us know how your side sleeping goes, i couldnt side sleep for 2 months when i did tibia LON and it made me really unhappy during the process(other guys in the institute where i did it were able to side sleep with the frames on so it was my own problem overall).

5. are you shooting for 1 month to get to 5cm? and then about a month to "fuse"? what is your opinion on any potential nerve or tissue damage from faster than average of 1mm per day lengthening?

your diary might turb out to be the most interesting one we've seen in ages on here

SpeedDialer

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2023, 05:56:47 PM »

My only concern is sitting down on lower objects (sofa, chair, beds). I really need some good tips on how to do it, would appreciate any help.

Yes agreed, low objects can be annoying. When I was in pain, I would usually get a cushion/pillow on the corner of my bed, lower the walker leg lengths, sit on the pillow and then get up with the walker. And then once I was standing, I would grab the forearm crutches/crutches and switch to them in my room.

Someone gave me a tip for low surfaces: first grab the lower rungs of the walker, and then switch your hands to the usual handles. He used this strategy to get on / off these 1 foot high beds that were by a swimming pool 

Since we're able to stand up, a forearm crutch user gave me the tip of shortening/lengthening the forearm crutches as need be when you're about to lower yourself onto a very low height surfaces. I am not exactly how that would work because for extremely low surfaces (ex: 1-1.5 feet high off the ground) I admit I just use a walker. However, I believe he most likely turns his back to the low surface. Then, while standing, he shortens his forearm crutches a bit. And then very slowly uses them to go from standing to sitting.

Shortening regular crutches while standing (right before lowering yourself onto a low height surface) also works but it's clunky and annoying if you drop a crutch. I wouldn't do it.

For regular crutches (not forearm crutches) in Athens, we generally form a triangle with the crutches two (soft armpit pad parts forming tip of top of triangle. The  horizontal flat ground floor itself is the base of the triangle.) and then use that tip top part as a handle to help get up higher. This doesn't really work well on slippery surfaces since the crutches end up angled and just slide/messes with the triangle. I found a fist pushing up from my seat at the same time sometimes helps depending on how stable the surface is 

I admit that if the surface is very very low on the ground and the ground is slippery, I just say screw it, and I get my walker to do the transfer

ten

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2023, 06:08:11 PM »

Hi WishMeLuck,

Can you ask Dr Guichet for his opinion on nerve damage? It's understandable he wants you to click faster because you will preconsolidate but what about nerve damage? 4cm in 21 days seems like a lot. There has got to be some reason why he thinks it's ok to do this as per protocol. Maybe he has some published research that we don't know of?

And congrats on almost reaching your goal already. It must feel great to put this behind you soon.

Thank you

thankscience

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2023, 03:24:39 AM »

Do you not feel much pain when clicking? I'm curious since you said you stopped using pain medication.

Also, why is 0 - 5cms so fast, but 5 - 6cm takes one month?

Captain Bone

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2023, 09:58:48 AM »

I can write a diary describing my trip to space just by writing. You have no pictures or videos. I think this diary is fake. Let me tell you before you write, with the leg picture and video, no one is exposed and who it is can never be found. Also, although this is a difficult operation, there are many people who share pictures and videos. I prefer to read video diaries with pictures rather than just reading articles. Good luck on your journey.

WishMeLuck

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2023, 08:37:40 PM »

Hi WishMeLuck,

Can you ask Dr Guichet for his opinion on nerve damage? It's understandable he wants you to click faster because you will preconsolidate but what about nerve damage? 4cm in 21 days seems like a lot. There has got to be some reason why he thinks it's ok to do this as per protocol. Maybe he has some published research that we don't know of?

And congrats on almost reaching your goal already. It must feel great to put this behind you soon.

Thank you

So basically Dr Guichet recommends on different protocols to different patients (he aknowledges that caucasians have higher bone healing rate than asians - you can see he also answered that in one of his interviews in this forum). You basically start clicking from the first day of surgery! he distracts 1cm which is 150 clicks. Than in the same day you need to do 3 clicks after you wake up and another 3 at night. After that, you have another day of 3x3, another day of 5x3, and then you just continue with 7x3 per day for about 3 weeks. he will lower that afterwards to 5x3. and after 5cm to around 3x3.

Of course - that could change based on your comments (nerve pain, other pain etc.). For me I didn't feel any of these pains, I just felt it is harder for me to click (the click is harder to get and I use more force). So he said I might fuse and I need to increase.

WishMeLuck

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2023, 08:39:37 PM »

Do you not feel much pain when clicking? I'm curious since you said you stopped using pain medication.

Also, why is 0 - 5cms so fast, but 5 - 6cm takes one month?

Hi, see my above comment regarding clicking rates.

I do feel pain which I describe as 2-4 when clicking (out of 10). Guichet makes you describe on a spreadsheet every clicking session in terms of 1-10 for your pain and 1-10 for your stress, and also the time it took you to click. He monitors it all rigorously.

Regarding why the beginning is faster - Guichet said that your body can give more in the beginning.

WishMeLuck

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2023, 08:40:49 PM »

So, Basically I'm at 2.3cm and I am now using a lot of force for my clicking - they don't come easy anymore.

Guichet said that it is because the bone is starting to fuse, and if I increase the clicking rate it will become easy afterwards again.

Did anyone experience with difficulty of clicking after some easy time?

ten

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2023, 03:47:33 AM »

So basically Dr Guichet recommends on different protocols to different patients (he aknowledges that caucasians have higher bone healing rate than asians - you can see he also answered that in one of his interviews in this forum). You basically start clicking from the first day of surgery! he distracts 1cm which is 150 clicks. Than in the same day you need to do 3 clicks after you wake up and another 3 at night. After that, you have another day of 3x3, another day of 5x3, and then you just continue with 7x3 per day for about 3 weeks. he will lower that afterwards to 5x3. and after 5cm to around 3x3.

Of course - that could change based on your comments (nerve pain, other pain etc.). For me I didn't feel any of these pains, I just felt it is harder for me to click (the click is harder to get and I use more force). So he said I might fuse and I need to increase.

Thanks for the answer. I think it's clear his goal is to make LL as quick a process as possible. He wrote this paper called "The cosmetic dream and future of lengthening procedures" where he talks about where he wants LL to be and all the steps he takes to increase the rate of bone healing. I also get the feeling he is "experimenting" in this space.

My only qualm with all this is that he does not list nerve damage in his complication statistics. It would be surprising if it is 0% after his hundreds of cases.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 01:47:06 PM »

Great post!

WishMeLuck

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 04:40:40 PM »

2.7cm

Clicking is still hard for me. In the left leg I am using a lot of force and I feel a lot of tension inside the leg from the muscles when I am twisting the leg. On the right I also feel pain in the fracture sight and it is quite painful. I feel like the leg is going to explode and then "click" and suddenly the tense muscles stop.

I am using the conventional clicking method (leg on high pillows). I wasn't able to click in the method used by Ozboy (holding leg up and twisting it).

I also tried biking more before I click, using a massage gun and using Arnica which is a muscle relaxing cream. Still it didn't really help sadly.

I think my main struggle is clicking. I am also quite bored with the routine of training so much, stretching eating and clicking and really want to go back to my normal life. I hope to reach 4.5cm and finish this, but every day is a struggle. If I could solve my clicking issue I could earn more hours in the day and feel less "robotic"

OzBoy39

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »

Man, stay strong and committed. One mistake I made was to let myself go around the 3cm mark.
I got a bit lazy with stretching and strengthening and I’m still paying for it now.

Keep this process your main focus until the end and during the first month of consolidation and then you’ll come out a new man on the other side.

Life is beautiful “up” here (lol)
Going for femur bilateral G-Nail with Dr. Giotikas.
Starting height 164cm. Goal 172 to 174cm

WishMeLuck

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 11:34:52 PM »

Thanks for the answer. I think it's clear his goal is to make LL as quick a process as possible. He wrote this paper called "The cosmetic dream and future of lengthening procedures" where he talks about where he wants LL to be and all the steps he takes to increase the rate of bone healing. I also get the feeling he is "experimenting" in this space.

My only qualm with all this is that he does not list nerve damage in his complication statistics. It would be surprising if it is 0% after his hundreds of cases.

Ten I agree with you. And nerve damage happens for sure, because I personally know about one patient here that lost sensation in a specific are even after 1 year post op. Guichet showed me so many statistics (he will flood you with those at his consultation appointments, that I can't even remember if nerve damage was present). However, in the surgery consent form, nerve damage is mentioned as a potential complication.

WishMeLuck

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 11:47:19 PM »

So,

Today I met Guichet and we discussed my current state, my expectations and where this is going.

I mentioned how hard clicking is for me, and Guichet still believes that I need to increase the number of clicks (and not any specific medication should be used). He did gave me a couple of Naproxene pills, but said not to take them, only if clicking will be much harder.

We discussed my gym training. Basically, in 3 weeks I attended 30 gym training sessions, as well as done 30 home trainings (I am training 4 times a day, 2 at the gym and then additional 100-200 reps of each excercise at home).
This hectic schedule was very difficult for me physically and mentally. Guichet didn't make it any easier (I was constantly late for the gym), he just ordered his trainers and me that if I will be late more than 20 minutes the trainers should leave. I hated him and loved him for this, it sucks but it also worked and I was so scared that I ran around like crazy to reach the training sessions on time.

One thing I know for sure - no matter how much pain I have, and sometimes I can barely walk to the gym as my lags are super heavy from the night, but once I finish his gym training - I have zero pain and I am walking much better right after the first training. After the second training - I walk almost normally. This is crazy and makes me respect his crazy army approach, because you can just see the difference.

We also laughed that I actually did the eliptical machine the day after surgery (he believes I'm the current holder of this world record). To be honest - I was in such a shock that I would do anything he asked. But I did do it. Right now it's also one of my favourite excercises (you really feel it helps your walking afterwards).

Guichet will also fix every little detail about what you do - how you walk, bend, sit, sleep, use crutches, turn. You also feel like you are not good enough, but his tips are always good and you feel much better after. Also, his knowledge of the nail and what kind of movements can damage the ratchet is amazing and he will fix everything you do in order to maintain the nail functionality.

I came to him asking for pain medication (wanted to drug myself out of this hard situation). He basically said that they don't really work (other patients here did confirm this to me). He said just to continue training and his protocol and that's it.

Well I know for sure that my gym manuvers are excellent right now (you would not see that I have broken legs and I have quite high range of motion). I am following this protocol (he tracks everything I eat as well and comments on that). I do feel quite strong, but mentally exhusted.
This thing will test you.

ten

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2023, 04:49:40 AM »

Ten I agree with you. And nerve damage happens for sure, because I personally know about one patient here that lost sensation in a specific are even after 1 year post op. Guichet showed me so many statistics (he will flood you with those at his consultation appointments, that I can't even remember if nerve damage was present). However, in the surgery consent form, nerve damage is mentioned as a potential complication.

From what I distinctly remember it's not listed in the statistics he shows. Please be vigilant and if you develop any sensations please let him know. Nerve pain can be exasperating. The medications used to control it cause side effects so you would be in hot soup if you get chronic nerve pain.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2023, 07:32:59 PM »

We also laughed that I actually did the eliptical machine the day after surgery (he believes I'm the current holder of this world record).

Congrats!

RealLostSoul

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2023, 02:06:48 AM »

However - lifts suck big time. Using them for years will also damage a lot of things in your feet.

I can only speak anecdotally but I used lifts every single day, in every boot I wore for a good 7 years and the only “damage” it did to me is that my calves were a bit tight when I started lengthening and had to stretch them additionally for the first 4 weeks then I could drop it (i did femur LL). I never had any issues ever, not even in sports. I still heavily stand behind the sentiment that if someone wants to be taller and feels confident with lifts they should wear them for the rest of their lives instead of ever touching LL. (No one ever noticed my lifts too btw). It’s too extreme of a surgery and you sacrifice a lot when you do it. if I was confident enough to not think about height anymore with lifts I would have never ever done this.

bloggerdude

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2023, 10:56:36 AM »

hi
does Guichet have any restriction on taking patients who have anxiety/depression?

WishMeLuck

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2023, 04:56:25 PM »

I can only speak anecdotally but I used lifts every single day, in every boot I wore for a good 7 years and the only “damage” it did to me is that my calves were a bit tight when I started lengthening and had to stretch them additionally for the first 4 weeks then I could drop it (i did femur LL). I never had any issues ever, not even in sports. I still heavily stand behind the sentiment that if someone wants to be taller and feels confident with lifts they should wear them for the rest of their lives instead of ever touching LL. (No one ever noticed my lifts too btw). It’s too extreme of a surgery and you sacrifice a lot when you do it. if I was confident enough to not think about height anymore with lifts I would have never ever done this.

I think you have a good point, which I could have only understood after I went through LL myself (before you break your legs your height suffering is much worse than after, where you get more proportion about height, life and all). Lift sucks for sure, but LL is super serious, dangerous, painful and more.

WishMeLuck

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2023, 05:05:56 PM »

hi
does Guichet have any restriction on taking patients who have anxiety/depression?

He actually works with two professional psychiatrists, one who you must have consultation with before LL, but also after your LL you will have at least two meetings with a psychiatrist, and I am sure you can have more. I suggest you contact him.

From my experience I can tell you that LL will take you to the extreme. You will lose your autonomy, you will be in pain, and you will be in a situation that you have probably never been before. This is an extreme change which could target depression. I love the fact that you are honest about it and checking carefully that this can be suitable for you with your mental state. Keep that up! consult with specialists carefully before. and speak to other patients as well.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2023, 06:30:10 PM »

How are you getting on these days?  You must be past 3.5CM now no?

We had the exact same clicking issues and Im now in the process of winding down lengthening after about 32mm.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2023, 06:37:57 PM »

I get what you're saying (LL is hard and think seriously about it) but as an alternative lifts are really not a substitute for being taller.  Nothing is.

You invite friends over or go to their home and you take your shoes off.  You have a significant other and she sees you with shoes off.  You go to the beach or on a boat and shoes are off.  Like what are you going to do, always wear shoes forever even in your bed lol.  And people pick up on it faster than you realize.

I never wore lifts for this reason, it just doesnt make any sense and they're extremely uncomfortable.  And when people find out you're wearing them you look like even more of a clown than just being short.  I know this will piss off a lot of people but thats my honest opinion.

If you're short you basically have 2 options:
1) Get jacked and own it.  Basically become a battle gnome.
2) get LL
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

bukibuki

• Visitor
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2023, 08:45:10 AM »

UPDATE?
LIKE A BAWSS
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64498.0
If anyone wants to visit me: put in your google maps gps 44°31'50.4"N 18°38'58.1"E

Werewolf

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2023, 06:08:00 PM »

UPDATE?
I would like to update this fake diary with your hijab mother at home. Troll turco.
List of I fked :)
@Bukibuki - @Kanye Western - @DanishViking - @shortisnotfun - @EndGame - @ballsackoffury123

ten

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2023, 04:27:41 PM »

:( because the forum went down WishMeLuck might have stopped visiting entirely

I really wanted to hear an update from him

WishMeLuck

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2023, 02:26:47 PM »

Hi,

So I wanted to update about my current situation. I remember I always hated when people would finish their diaries and disappear. Well, they probably don't want to think about LL any more again! and go on with their lives (because this is not over!).

So, the crazy thing that was the lengthening itself was behind me. In addition, now it is 2.5 months since I stopped clicking. The first month after I stopped I was basically a disabled person walking with crutches in the street (barely). At night pain and waking up several times at night. the first month is far from being normal. 2nd month I started to walk more normally. Dr Guichet was mad at me that I am using crutches so I ditched them and initially it was very difficult. I would calculate every step, I was very slow, and also very afraid from falling in the street (going up or down one stair is very scary without your crutches!).

I used to bike every day and suffer from a lot of pain. After that, I started to do eliptical every day.

Right now, I am walking normally and starting to also do some weight machines at the gym. However, running is still impossible ( I can't lift my legs and I can't do the "bouncing" motion of running.

Still after meeting several patients online, they think my healing is crazy well. But for me - I want to get back to fully normal.

This is one of the most difficult things I ever did, and it is still not over (I used to run every week 10-14km x2, now I cant even run 50m). Also, you need surgery to remove the nail after 1 year and I am a bit traumatized from the whole thing.
This will test how strong you are, especially if you have a normal life before LL (you have more to lose).
For very short people - you might benefit from it because it is relatively safe.
For taller people - this will test how crazy you are...

thankscience

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2023, 06:20:15 PM »

Thanks for the update. Did you reach your goal of 5cm?

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2023, 03:35:16 PM »

If you have recent imaging data please put it at this thread. Redact any information that could be used to dox you.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy

Beemer m3

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2024, 12:00:45 AM »

i wonder how much the guy lengthen and did he stop early because of pain. i need at least 5 cm.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up