Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this surgery really excruciatingly painful?  (Read 5655 times)

RealLostSoul

Re: Is this surgery really excruciatingly painful?
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »

Which part was the forum wrong on?
Tbh. I would say 75% of things I thought I know from reading here were bull . That includes many things. I don’t even know where I would be start counting. At the end of the day in my opinion this is more of an echo chamber of thoughts being shared around. There is little actual “research”, just one person says X and dozens of people repeat the information.
That’s why I think most guys that did it and stuck around, myself included, react a bit cynical to most posts.

hippo60

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 01:36:28 PM »

@hippo06, well wishes to you too obviously. I'm LEGIT glad your first week went better than mine. Truly. I have no idea how you were able to sleep - did you bribe the nurses to not check in on you every hour? :) :). And I totally get what you're saying, obviously - my issue is that the initial phases of suck get played down, when there should be a very honest up-front warning that the first week or two can be absolutely excruciating. Mine 1000% was.

That said, second week, and really the last 2 days, are night and day different in terms of pain. Which someone said would happen, with first 2-3 weeks being the worst. The reason I haven't updated my diary is because there's really nothing noteworthy other than me settling into a routine, getting stronger and watching the inflammation go down. There is still pain, but much more manageable now.

Thanks man! I definitely didn't sleep throughout the night in the hospital, but I only stayed 2 nights. Once I got home I was able to sleep throughout the night. Like I said, I'm 100% with you on people downplaying it, that's upsetting. But even more upsetting is doctors who (sort of) do that, that's borderline irresponsible for me.

Glad your pain is better, that's good! And keep updating your diary, you've done a great job so far. Future LLrs will thank you 8)

Unknown

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 05:28:03 PM »

Tbh. I would say 75% of things I thought I know from reading here were bull . That includes many things. I don’t even know where I would be start counting. At the end of the day in my opinion this is more of an echo chamber of thoughts being shared around. There is little actual “research”, just one person says X and dozens of people repeat the information.
That’s why I think most guys that did it and stuck around, myself included, react a bit cynical to most posts.

What are your thoughts on LON tibias? Is it an extremely painful method compared to internal femurs? So do you think this surgery is dangerous to do alone?

RealLostSoul

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 09:58:24 PM »

What are your thoughts on LON tibias? Is it an extremely painful method compared to internal femurs? So do you think this surgery is dangerous to do alone?

What does it make a difference in danger if you do it alone or not?
In my opinion I would never ever do LON. It‘s just a cheap option that has the downsides of both internals and externals.

hippo60

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 02:00:38 PM »

god reading your posts is torturous. what a massive whiny phaggot. and who told you to go fly 5 days after surgery? "im so uncomfortable" yeah you dont say

should've figured youd be a retard by already being 5'11 and doing this surgery. lol at you and your entire diary and your posts

Don't reply to this idiot, mod will take care of it

uponly

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2023, 05:56:07 PM »

Don't reply to this idiot, mod will take care of it

LOL. It would be a complete waste of both brain cells and digital ink.

Mods, would be grateful for your assistance
Starting height: 5'10"ish (179cm).   Desired height: 6'1.5" (187cm).   Achieved on 5/31/23: 6'1.5" (187.3 cm).

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Nothing I post is intended to be or interpreted as medical advice. I am posting about my CLL experience for informational purposes only

oklama

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2023, 12:33:19 AM »

I didnt mean to insinuate the surgery was not extremely painful

when I came on here I was given the impression it was like 9/10 pain everyday but it seems like its 7-9/10 pain at the beginning and then it levels out to more milder but still bad levels of pain (like idk 5-7/10) during the middle and late stages of lengthening. I saw a poll on here about the pain and from reading diaries that seems to be the norm.

I just myself had a very high idea of what the pain was so I assume thats what everyones impression is, you have to remember the general public thinks you'll never walk again if you get this procedure.
19 yrs old
goal: 173 (8cm)
looking at giotikas or becker
maybe will get to 180cm eventually

stretched

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2023, 02:30:16 AM »

I read some more diaries, and I think if you are not doing a stupid method like LON femurs, for the first 2 weeks its going to be painful but manageable with narcotics while lying still. When you're moving though, that is when you will likely experience 8+/10 levels of pain. However, you must keep in mind its not just the pain you must worry about, it is also the lack of sleep, discomfort etc. Most people say its more like a marathon of moderate pain then getting tortured 24/7. Pain tolerance is also going to vary a lot, so some people will of course find the surgery more painful than others, but most people should be able to manage the pain while lying still if they take their narcotics. A controlled leg break surgery with a competent Dr is of course going to hurt, but It really shouldn't feel like you are getting tortured unless you have to move, refuse to take narcotics, or have a terrible pain management protocol. I think the media portrays this surgery as medieval torture, but in reality people break their bones and need fixator devices all the time and once they are in the hospital with pain meds, they usually aren't screaming in pain. Yes they're uncomfortable, but they manage. In a poll about the internal nail method pain, the majority of people voted somewhere between 4-7/10 in terms of post op pain. Keep in mind I haven't got the surgery so I do not say this from experience, I'm mainly going off of what the top Drs and patient dairies have said
Goal: 161cm -> 170cm Quad Lengthening ~2026

oklama

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2023, 08:09:16 PM »

I read some more diaries, and I think if you are not doing a stupid method like LON femurs, for the first 2 weeks its going to be painful but manageable with narcotics while lying still. When you're moving though, that is when you will likely experience 8+/10 levels of pain. However, you must keep in mind its not just the pain you must worry about, it is also the lack of sleep, discomfort etc. Most people say its more like a marathon of moderate pain then getting tortured 24/7. Pain tolerance is also going to vary a lot, so some people will of course find the surgery more painful than others, but most people should be able to manage the pain while lying still if they take their narcotics. A controlled leg break surgery with a competent Dr is of course going to hurt, but It really shouldn't feel like you are getting tortured unless you have to move, refuse to take narcotics, or have a terrible pain management protocol. I think the media portrays this surgery as medieval torture, but in reality people break their bones and need fixator devices all the time and once they are in the hospital with pain meds, they usually aren't screaming in pain. Yes they're uncomfortable, but they manage. In a poll about the internal nail method pain, the majority of people voted somewhere between 4-7/10 in terms of post op pain. Keep in mind I haven't got the surgery so I do not say this from experience, I'm mainly going off of what the top Drs and patient dairies have said

this is what I believe exactly aswell.
19 yrs old
goal: 173 (8cm)
looking at giotikas or becker
maybe will get to 180cm eventually

thankscience

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2023, 10:02:32 AM »

I am two days post-op right now and have had almost zero pain. Praying it stays that way. Make sure you get a good doctor with a good pain management protocol.

Dirona

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2023, 11:24:08 AM »

I think this surgery is only visually painful..There is very little actual pain for the most part
Taking it easy

Stand taller

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »

The surgery and pain afterwards was much less painful than I thought, but Dr. Betz/Becker do seem to be generous on the pain meds post surgery. I had one instance of swelling in my left thigh a few days after surgery, that was super painful - but only lasted for a short while. I also had two instances of nerve pain in my right leg. That is the most pain I've had in my whole life by a good margin - this surgery included. Both times it only lasted around 30-60 seconds, but god damn was it pain.

For me the surgery and lengthening hasn't been the worst when it comes to pain, but the physio afterwards is where the real pain is imo.
Femurs with Dr Betz & Dr Becker 14/01/2022
Starting height: 165cm | Reached height: 177cm
Total lengthening: 11,5cm | Age: Mid 30s
My diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=69034.0

Unknown

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2023, 04:24:30 PM »

I am two days post-op right now and have had almost zero pain. Praying it stays that way. Make sure you get a good doctor with a good pain management protocol.
Who is your doc and what method did u do?

thankscience

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 08:19:50 PM »

Who is your doc and what method did u do?
G-nail with Dr Giotikas

Siegfried

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2023, 08:25:44 PM »

The surgery and pain afterwards was much less painful than I thought, but Dr. Betz/Becker do seem to be generous on the pain meds post surgery. I had one instance of swelling in my left thigh a few days after surgery, that was super painful - but only lasted for a short while. I also had two instances of nerve pain in my right leg. That is the most pain I've had in my whole life by a good margin - this surgery included. Both times it only lasted around 30-60 seconds, but god damn was it pain.

For me the surgery and lengthening hasn't been the worst when it comes to pain, but the physio afterwards is where the real pain is imo.
normal, pain levels after internal nails are not that crazy.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

Body Builder

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2023, 01:06:18 AM »

For external tibias with monorails my journey was almost painless after the first 3 days and I never used anything heavier than a Lonarid N for painkillers. For internals things will be worse though especially with obsolete mechanical nails that many LLers are still using due to their full weight bearing capabilities. With magnetic nails things will be better, especially durimg distraction phase.
But the most painless way is of course fully external tibias, even with ilizarovs.

kamaruusman

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »

For external tibias with monorails my journey was almost painless after the first 3 days and I never used anything heavier than a Lonarid N for painkillers. For internals things will be worse though especially with obsolete mechanical nails that many LLers are still using due to their full weight bearing capabilities. With magnetic nails things will be better, especially durimg distraction phase.
But the most painless way is of course fully external tibias, even with ilizarovs.

You are legend!

Uchiha

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2023, 10:30:27 AM »

After all, it's surgery and your bones are breaking. Painful but not excruciatingly. The pain depends on the painkillers and your doctor. I had almost no pain after the first week. More like a feeling of discomfort. Sleep is difficult with fixators. In addition, each cm you stretch is getting harder and harder. they can be tolerated. But if you experience complications, you may experience excruciating pain.
LON Tibia With Dr. Mustafa Gökhan Bilgili
Diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=80803.0
Previous height 176
Reached height 182.5

goingtall

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2023, 04:30:49 AM »

I see that some people argue that LON on femurs is the worst possible method, so what would be valid alternatives to surgery on the femur?

Is the only problem with the LON on femurs the chance of infection caused by the perforations for the external fixators? Or are there other risks?

bukibuki

• Visitor
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2023, 08:43:20 AM »

I see that some people argue that LON on femurs is the worst possible method, so what would be valid alternatives to surgery on the femur?

Is the only problem with the LON on femurs the chance of infection caused by the perforations for the external fixators? Or are there other risks?

god these noobs
go read here noob
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=95.0
LIKE A BAWSS
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64498.0
If anyone wants to visit me: put in your google maps gps 44°31'50.4"N 18°38'58.1"E

stretched

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2023, 11:19:17 PM »

bump

guy_incognito

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2023, 07:37:39 PM »

Pain from all kind of sources remains steady and high, for 3 months post surgery. My experience.

Among us

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2023, 06:30:02 AM »

Looking back, almost all the pain is forgotten from my memory. I just remember that the two surgeries are very painful but the lengthening process and about 2 months after removal moderate pain is common throughout the whole thing, definitely at night it spikes up. Some people get lucky 🍀 and get low pain but other people really struggle with things like nerve pain.

stretched

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2024, 07:52:22 PM »

bump

wantingtobetaller

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2024, 10:18:22 PM »

If you do LON, probably excruciatingly painful.
But I don't think the degree of pain is to the extent that you want to die.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up