Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nightmare in the Hospital  (Read 1079 times)

Lldnotforme

• Visitor
Nightmare in the Hospital
« on: April 16, 2023, 02:51:49 PM »

This was in February, but I wanted to share my story.

First off, the surgery went extremely well.  Now that lengthening was done, the objective was to take the lengthening rods out of my left leg and put in permanent rods.  (i only had lengthening on my left leg because i have lld, totaling 1.5 inches of growth with fitbone).  Upon waking up, I am completely sober and in an extreme amount of pain.  Finally a nurse notices me and gives me 1 tramadol.  From recovering from the initial surgery, I was taking oxy.  To be post op and have 1 tramadol was beyond ridiculous. I have an extremely high pain tolerance, but it eventually broke me.  I started to cry in pain.  I couldn't really express how much pain i was in but told them pain was an 11.  These traveling nurses couldn't log into the computer and really didn't feel like they cared to help me.  After 2 hours, they finally gave me Dilaudid (which is an amzing drug lmao).  Then, they gave  me oxy and dilaudid on cycle.  Then I was okay.  When I was able to tell the head nurse of the floor, she was so terribly upset and apologetic. The initial surgery I also had at this hospital, and everything went fine.  This was no doubt, the worst pain I had ever experienced in my entire life x10.

I think I just got really unlucky, getting a nurse who didn't know what to do.  This was in the U.S, mind you.  They were understaffed and had these travel nurses who didnt know who to ask or how anything worked.  Although I'm disappointed in that aspect, everything else has been going pretty well.  I can walk very short distances without any assistance, but I don't want to push it too early.  I would definitely do it again.  I'm looking forward to being able to get back to normal and not need help.  As a musician, I've been fully gigging since March, and it's kind of nice to play while sitting down lol.

Feel free to ask me anything at all :)

TheDream

Re: Nightmare in the Hospital
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 03:11:29 PM »

Quote from: Lldnotforme link=topic=83114.msg261059#
Now that lengthening was done, the objective was to take the lengthening rods out of my left leg and put in permanent rods.

I thought they usually wait 2 years post lengthening, in order for the bone to get strong, and then remove the metal rods completely from the body.

But it sounds like in your case they removed one set of rods and inserted another? How long has passed between the lengthening finished and this?

Lldnotforme

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 03:31:48 PM »

Perhaps that is the case with other lengthening procedures / equipment.  It was a little less than 2 months between the initial surgery and the 2nd one.  And yes, they removed the growing rod and inserted permanent trauma rods.  Since I'm 23, my bone grew very quickly and was able to help speed up the process.  The problem with keeping the growing rod for 2 years is that it is a non-weight barring rod.  If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to walk for two years.

toyz

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 03:44:23 PM »

who was ur surgeon?

first time Im hearing fit bone usage in USA

TheDream

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 04:05:05 PM »

Perhaps that is the case with other lengthening procedures / equipment.  It was a little less than 2 months between the initial surgery and the 2nd one.  And yes, they removed the growing rod and inserted permanent trauma rods.  Since I'm 23, my bone grew very quickly and was able to help speed up the process.  The problem with keeping the growing rod for 2 years is that it is a non-weight barring rod.  If that were the case, I wouldn't be able to walk for two years.

Interesting.
I think most limb lengthening nails/rods are not weight bearing, and the patients usually have to wait for the bone to solidify before walking again, but they still don’t remove the rods until 2+ years later.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

KrP1

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 04:34:34 PM »

Fitbone in USA is strange. Who is your doctor?

Lldnotforme

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 11:35:25 PM »

Dr. Dyskin.  I am not familiar, but do you know why it is rare to see fitbone in the U.S?

Lldnotforme

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 11:35:46 PM »

Dr. Dyskin.  I am not familiar, but do you know why it is rare to see fitbone in the U.S?

LLprime3

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 10:24:46 PM »

I thought they usually wait 2 years post lengthening, in order for the bone to get strong, and then remove the metal rods completely from the body.

But it sounds like in your case they removed one set of rods and inserted another? How long has passed between the lengthening finished and this?

Sounds like LATN method, lengthening and then nailing, except that he had nails during the lengthening process as well.

Lldnotforme

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 12:07:13 AM »

It was an internal fixator, so I think that means it was not LATN?  I'm not sure though, I just read a little about it after reading your comment.

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 03:38:45 PM »

If you have recent imaging data please put it at this thread. Redact any information that could be used to dox you.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up