Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - 5cm LON Tibia in hanoi by Dr. Doan  (Read 8190 times)

mellowrain

• Visitor
Re: Diary - 5cm LON Tibia in hanoi by Dr. Doan
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2023, 01:41:57 PM »

this is great to hear for me. btw are you still stretching everyday since frame removal?

5cmtaller

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2023, 02:11:18 PM »

this is great to hear for me. btw are you still stretching everyday since frame removal?

Not really, I don't really have the calves tightness anymore, but i still walk with a limp if i don't use crutches. Dr Doan told me it is dangerous to walk so much without the crutches since it has only been 64 days after removal. He said that I should only walk unsupported fully at around the 4 months mark. I walked too much without the crutches and i feel some pain in my knees. Will update again at the 4 months mark, if i will be able to walk unsupported without pain.

mate10000w

• Visitor
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2023, 06:50:18 AM »

How is your X-ray. And lengthening how do you feel about the rate

5cmtaller

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2023, 08:59:51 AM »

my last x ray was 42days after frame removal. The fibula gap has already filled in but for the tibia there is minimal bone growth. Today is day 74 after frame removal for me. I haven't taken another x ray yet. But because the pain and walking is improving I know it is healing well.

5cmtaller

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »

for the lengthening rate of tibia, i personally feel that 1mm is too much. You will definitely feel pain if you turn 1mm/day. you should definitely turn lesser than that to not feel high level of pain. It is a tradeoff between having the frames on for a longer time or getting it off earlier but you will feel pain and with a higher risk of complications. Make your choice wisely. personally, I did 1mm per day throughout my lengthening phase except for 2-3 days where i only turned about 0.66mm.

Beemer m3

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2023, 09:07:22 AM »

Hey there on your 2nd surgery did they stick a cathedral inside you again?
How many days did it take for you to start lengthening?
Thanks
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

mellowrain

• Visitor
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2023, 07:41:21 PM »

for the lengthening rate of tibia, i personally feel that 1mm is too much. You will definitely feel pain if you turn 1mm/day. you should definitely turn lesser than that to not feel high level of pain. It is a tradeoff between having the frames on for a longer time or getting it off earlier but you will feel pain and with a higher risk of complications. Make your choice wisely. personally, I did 1mm per day throughout my lengthening phase except for 2-3 days where i only turned about 0.66mm.

Informative thank you

jaicionadain

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2023, 10:39:31 PM »

This is great update much thank you

5cmtaller

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2023, 03:54:59 AM »

2nd surgery no catheter it is a simple surgery and take less than 30 minutes to remove the frames.
7 days after 1st surgery i started to lengthen. That is when the swelling goes down.

Beemer m3

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2023, 03:52:41 PM »

Thanks sir
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

puing5555

• Visitor
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2023, 09:43:26 PM »

Wow brother . Thank you so much for your diary.

I am considering Dr. Doan right now.. I think I will see him next week.

1. What do you think of dr.doan? Is it trustworthy? How many surgeries has he had so far?

2. I think I will visit once next week and have surgery next month... I saw on Facebook that there are many patients who have gained 8cm or 9cm... I am worried that there will be side effects if I do that. What does the doctor say about this? (I will probably have surgery with the goal of 7cm, and if the progress goes well, I may be able to try to reach 8cm.)

3. Overall, what is your current level of satisfaction?

4. I understand that there is a gym in the off-campus accommodation. Is it also possible to use the gym?

5cmtaller

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2023, 06:11:34 AM »

Wow brother . Thank you so much for your diary.

I am considering Dr. Doan right now.. I think I will see him next week.

1. What do you think of dr.doan? Is it trustworthy? How many surgeries has he had so far?

2. I think I will visit once next week and have surgery next month... I saw on Facebook that there are many patients who have gained 8cm or 9cm... I am worried that there will be side effects if I do that. What does the doctor say about this? (I will probably have surgery with the goal of 7cm, and if the progress goes well, I may be able to try to reach 8cm.)

3. Overall, what is your current level of satisfaction?

4. I understand that there is a gym in the off-campus accommodation. Is it also possible to use the gym?

No Problem.

1. Dr. Doan is a very experienced surgeon in limb lengthening and have done many surgeries, so yes, he is trustworthy. I do not know the number of surgeries he had done, but I know that he is one of the top doctors in Hanoi doing LL. However, the problem with him is his aftercare. Which is extremely important for this surgery, you need to have someone who can help you 24/7, bath, cook, massage etc. This type of services Dr. Doan does not provide. It is also difficult for a foreigner to find people who are offering this type of services because we do not speak Vietnamese. I had a particularly difficult time trying to communicate my needs and had to communicate using google translate which sometimes the meaning i tried to convey is lost in translation.

2. Personally, I think that how much you lengthen depends on many factors, such as time, money and pain tolerance. If you have plenty of time to spare you should do 0.66mm a day instead of 1mm a day. Because, based on personal experience and another patient that i know, when we lengthen 0.66mm per day, we do not feel much pain and it is tolerable. But the tradeoff is wearing the frames longer, because you are lengthening slower. I know a guy that did 8cm and he can walk w/o support in 3 months but his walking is slow. I know another guy that did 7.5cm and after 6 months he was back to normal. As for the money aspect, the longer time you spend wearing the frames the more money you burn. Lastly, for the pain tolerance aspect, the first week after the surgery will probably be the worse pain you felt throughout the whole journey assuming you did not get into any accident. I just want to reiterate that you should lengthen 0.66mm to have a smooth journey.

3. I did not lengthen as much as the other patients that did 7 or 8cm but I am average for a male, and would not be considered short anymore. Clothes also fit nicer as the leg proportion is now better, because i previously had a longer torso as my tibia is short. So doing this surgery kind of balanced out my proportions. Personally, looking back I might have stopped at 6.5cm but due to lack of time i had to stop and return to my country. However, because I lengthened only 5cm, i recovered quickly and was able to walk on my own with crutches to the airport. The longer you lengthen the longer your recovery time and the higher the risk of complications. Overall, I would say I am satisfied.

4. Trust me, you would not have the energy to go to the gym. So don't bother. And going to the gym, you are risking injury, so try not to.

LeoGb

« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2023, 10:49:55 PM »

Dr Doan does not offer accommodation and care in one of his packages??....in 2021 I contacted him, and he offered me for 10k USD the surgery, including the removal of the fixators...and for 15k he offered me a plan that included absolutely everything, it included surgery, food, accommodation, care, physiotherapy and all this until you reach 6 cm, because I remember that his packages were depending on the amount of cm you needed. I was going to travel in January 2022 but I started a love relationship and decided to pause my plans until I see what happened, my current partner supports me with my idea of having surgery and is willing to travel with me and take care of me while I finish the procedure (she is a nurse)... but I don't know how much Dr Doan's prices have changed until today. Because my idea would be to take the basic plan, (surgery only) and rent a furnished apartment in Vietnam, pay for physiotherapies separately and have my partner take care of my care and everything... it would work out cheaper than taking a package, Vietnam is very cheap.. or at least for someone from Canada.

breakmylegs

• Take any opinion with a grain of salt.
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2023, 01:30:11 AM »

Dr Doan does not offer accommodation and care in one of his packages??

Dr Doan doesn't, but doctor Quynh does offer accomodation.
He's another vietnamese doctor, and the only one I've seen diaries of beside Doan.

Also you can contact Doan in Zalo, phone number in his website. From there ask if there's an accomodation package.
Saving up, researching doctors.

LeoGb

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2023, 06:03:14 PM »

Very strange, because I still have the messages from 2021 where he offered me for 15k accommodation with everything included until I reached 6 cm....  How is Dr. Quynh? how are his prices?

breakmylegs

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2023, 01:27:51 AM »

Very strange, because I still have the messages from 2021 where he offered me for 15k accommodation with everything included until I reached 6 cm....  How is Dr. Quynh? how are his prices?

I apologize I didn't know Doan did offer accomodation, I contacted and got the official prices from Dr Doan: (prices are now higher than what you've seen)

Here is the price plan for tibia lengthening using the LON method:

- OPERATION ONLY: US $15,000 Including surgeon fees, hospital fees, implant costs, nail+frame cost, analgesics, 10 nights in hospital after implantation, 2 nights in hospital after EF removal, and hospital meal.

- PREMIUM PACKAGE - OPERATION + ACCOMMODATION: US $15,000 +  $2,500/mo accommodation Including surgeon fees, hospital fees, implant costs, nail+frame cost, analgesics, 10 nights in hospital after implantation, 2 nights in hospital after EF removal, hospital meals + Accommodation and meals in a 1-bedroom apartment, 20 hours/mo of physical therapy (corresponds to 5 days per week)

Beemer m3

« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2023, 04:44:57 AM »

its mostly the same for dr doan but shared apartment. highend apartment.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

OzzTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2023, 04:46:28 PM »

Thank you for providing us this information. I commented in Dr. Doan Facebook page asking for informations but I only got like from the admin. I wonder if they don't want to respond to any question in English.

breakmylegs

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2023, 04:55:44 PM »

Thank you for providing us this information. I commented in Dr. Doan Facebook page asking for informations but I only got like from the admin. I wonder if they don't want to respond to any question in English.

I assume admins that use the Facebook page are mostly vietnamese PR workers that can't speak English or can but are just responsible for posting.

I got an answer after sending them an Email, even though I used Google translate to send it in Vietnamese, they answered me in English as you can see.

OzzTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2023, 06:51:44 AM »

I hope they consider to have a team to manage relations with foreign patients. They have a potential market, in Southeast Asia Singapore and Malaysia are the top countries for healthcare but somehow CLL is not a thing in those countries (Singapore has one doctor but almost nobody cares).

breakmylegs

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2023, 07:48:08 AM »

I hope they consider to have a team to manage relations with foreign patients. They have a potential market, in Southeast Asia Singapore and Malaysia are the top countries for healthcare but somehow CLL is not a thing in those countries (Singapore has one doctor but almost nobody cares).

You're forgetting that this is a niche thing and almost no people have issues with their own height. Like any aesthetic surgery.
If you notice, it's always the most superficial countries with beauty standards, where show biz and fashion have a grip on people's mind that where people have issues. USA, South Korea, China, Germany...etc

Malaysians are mostly Muslims, like Indonesians
don't have many immigrants. 5'4 is the average height for men there and they're breeding like crazy, their CEOs are around that height and I don't believe height is the top topic in their beauty standards unlike fair skin, pretty faces and silky hair.
so they got no need for it.
Because I assume many here do it for women, career or vanity.
So It's less about market being potential, but that people aren't so neurotic about height as much other places, so demand will be low.

It's like Jewish people having big noses but they're still not the main market for nose jobs because they're neutral about it.

Beemer m3

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2023, 09:12:56 AM »

theres actually alot of people that i came across while im here. one guy was on his way home and another just removed his fixators from the hospital. i notice he went with a different PT trainer. a few more down stairs from my floor from canada, singapore, and other places i forgot. some guy i met getting a measurement. but yeh i use google translate on fb to get everything i needed. i think its pretty hard if u injured yourself during your stay. my right leg might need 2 weeks of healing and pulling from what the PT trainer are telling me. just gotta keep yourself busy or else your session ends early. so plan ahead.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

OzzTaller

• Visitor
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2023, 06:27:09 PM »

Ah I see. I know many Southeast Asian gen Z men who are 155 cm or even smaller and they seem living a happy life (if they don't it must be for a reason other than height). Vietnam is a part of the Sinosphere despite not being a part of East Asia and Vietnamese actually resemble another Southeast Asian physically, so I think beauty standard is quite high in there. Many women went to Dr. Doan to undergo CLL (based on his facebook posts).

breakmylegs

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2023, 11:33:03 PM »

Although their requirements are mostly to reach around 170cm or 5'7", because their average heights are around 5'5.

Beauty standards in general are stupid though, and us frequenting this forum shows we're the odd ones for wanting it.

Ayesha12345

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2023, 08:20:05 PM »

8cm tibia should never even be thought about, 5-6 is safe limit, that still is a stretch, Achilles tendon is very tight in most ppl, pls don’t suggest ridiculous levels like 8cm doing that will lead to tons of complications

Sorcerer

• O' captain! My captain!
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2023, 05:10:37 PM »

You're forgetting that this is a niche thing and almost no people have issues with their own height. Like any aesthetic surgery.
If you notice, it's always the most superficial countries with beauty standards, where show biz and fashion have a grip on people's mind that where people have issues. USA, South Korea, China, Germany...etc

Malaysians are mostly Muslims, like Indonesians
don't have many immigrants. 5'4 is the average height for men there and they're breeding like crazy, their CEOs are around that height and I don't believe height is the top topic in their beauty standards unlike fair skin, pretty faces and silky hair.
so they got no need for it.
Because I assume many here do it for women, career or vanity.
So It's less about market being potential, but that people aren't so neurotic about height as much other places, so demand will be low.

It's like Jewish people having big noses but they're still not the main market for nose jobs because they're neutral about it.
Agree. People here are overestimating how neurotic non-LLers are about their heights. You need to at first develop a severe height dysphoria so that you will research into and plan this surgery.
Due to the ignorant fearmongering of youtube or else many people are frightened off this surgery which validates my point.
It's not like plastic surgery which you will plan if you are like 'Damn I have an ugly nose I want to do it'.
To accomplish doing an LL you should be like 'This surgery may disable you? I am so short and it says it 'may' so I want to give it a try!' → 'Ah this surgery seems not that dangerous' → Plan an LL → 'Oh this surgery works like this' → Do an LL.
So before height surgery escapes its plight that it is being excessively demonized, you can't really claim it has large market potiential. 

Jayyy23

• Visitor
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2023, 05:36:33 AM »

Hey bro , so did you book an appointment before going to vietnam? Or how did you found out? Can you tell me about the process and pricing aswell , would be awesome

breakmylegs

« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2023, 11:09:17 AM »

Hey bro , so did you book an appointment before going to vietnam? Or how did you found out? Can you tell me about the process and pricing aswell , would be awesome

The doctor offers accomodations and will take care of everything for you.

If you don't pay for accomodations you'll be left with renting an airbnb and physical therapist, that's all.

Beemer m3

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2023, 04:51:27 AM »

i paid for the full price . the surgery was about 15k itself. i didnt need to meet the doctor before anything. on my first day of the hospital i was already doing blood test n everything. if you want to reach them you can reach them through fb and google translate from english to vietnamese. there mostly vietnamese in this area. there is some guy with a visa and is a foreigner. sometimes theres japanese people. food is hard to eat though. they got grab delivering for your convience. 10k for the stay at an apartment with pt n food.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

Beemer m3

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2023, 05:03:56 AM »

I'm going to stop lengthening at 5cm or 5.5cm also. the time I spent here is quite boring and I was going for 8 cm lol. It's so time consuming and no place to go out. The pins hurt and the knee don't bend while sleeping. Final height will be some where around 170cm.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up